PDA

View Full Version : Goor PrCs for a Drow Wizard <3.5>

Machiavellian
2010-08-03, 10:43 PM
In my current campaign (first night back in the saddle, baby!), I am playing a Drow Wizard (everyone has at least a 2-3 level adjustment template) with a Monsterous Spider familiar named Orbb (drow for "spider").

I am currently lv7 in an ECL 9 campaign. We have a Half-Red Dragon Barbarian who is aimed towards Frenzied Berserker, a Half-Elf Vampire Rogue headed to assassin, an Elf Vampire archery ranger, a Hound Archon, a Half-Archon Cleric of Pelor, and a Bloodfiend (Half-Devil Vampire) Blackguard, who was half-devil only to recently become a Vampire Noble (DM has allowed this to fly.) I fit the arcanist field. I am currently a generalist (decided to not specialize, since I wanted literally EVERY spell possible.

My question is, since he's a Highborn Drow (took the feat) with the feat Magic in the Blood (makes all SLAs 3/day),

1. Should I take a template later on, and if so, what?
2. What PrC should I shoot towards. I have currently Improved Familair (Med. Monsterous Spider), Magic in the Blood, Highborn Drow, and Empower Spell. I want to stay drow-y in theme, so if there's a sick PrC I can qualify for soon, I want to line it up ASAP.

Thanks, and may you always roll natural 20's and your foes roll natural 1's

Edit: Since our DM is new, no "cherry dipping" PrCs. I'm allowed one PrC.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-08-04, 04:05 AM
Incantatrix.

Raistlin1040
2010-08-04, 04:54 AM
Drow of the Underdark has some cool ones. I think it's called Demonbinder, or something, the one that I really liked. I've never played one, but it looks pretty cool.

Edit: Scratch that, you need to be CE and have Warlock levels.

Insidious Corruptor is interesting. It's very aristocratic, but you need to be able to cast Dominate Person, and you only get half spellcasting progression. It's not very combat effective, but it's nice if you're a politician.

Arachnomancer is what you want. You need the Verminfriend feat, 4 ranks in climb and knowledge nature, and 8 ranks in knowledge religion, and you must be evil (which can be handwaved if your DM says so), and able to cast Spider Climb, Summon Swarm, or Web. It's an 8 level PrC, with 5 levels of spellcasting. You get access to the Spider Domain, which means a very small handful of Cleric spells, a Climb speed, and the ability to wildshape into a monstrous spider. Pick up Natural Spell, and at the last level of the PrC, you turn into a Gargantuan Monstrous Spider who casts spells.

Kaww
2010-08-04, 05:24 AM
In my current campaign (first night back in the saddle, baby!), I am playing a Drow Wizard
I am currently lv7 in an ECL 9 campaign.
We have
a Half-Red Dragon Barbarian who is aimed towards Frenzied Berserker,
a Half-Elf Vampire Rogue headed to assassin,
an Elf Vampire archery ranger,
a Hound Archon,
a Half-Archon Cleric of Pelor,
and a Bloodfiend (Half-Devil Vampire) Blackguard, who was half-devil only to recently become a Vampire Noble (DM has allowed this to fly.)

Sorry, I know this is not the topic, but morbid curiosity... How did you get together?

Regards!

Jota
2010-08-04, 11:25 AM
Wizards almost universally exist to accumulate more power/knowledge/whatever, so you don't really need a strong reason to take certain prestige classes aside from "this is awesome," at least in my mind.

With that said:

Mind Bender 1 (telepathy is awesome)
Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil
Incantrix (as already mentioned)
Abjurant Champion

Postmodernist
2010-08-04, 11:31 AM
Drow Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#drowParagon) is a bit of a niche choice, but a single level might not hurt and could fit your theme. Its not exactly a PrC, but it seems in keeping with your previously stated character goals.

Machiavellian
2010-08-04, 11:46 AM
Sorry, I know this is not the topic, but morbid curiosity... How did you get together?

Regards!

We were all hired by a 70th level npc. yes, hes that BA. But he needs our help to maintain the balance of the universe.

As for PrCs,

Arachnomancer seems like a good fit overall, and I planned to shift to evil (currently CN).

Incantrix, IotSV, and 1 level PrC dipping have been banned. My DM knows their power and won't let me use them