PDA

View Full Version : prestige class generator?

Origomar
2010-08-04, 02:07 AM
i like making prestige classes but i can never think of a theme that cant just be duplicated by taking the right feats/focusing skill points in certain areas, ect.

is there some sort of class generator or something just that just throws ideas out randomly ?

Raistlin1040
2010-08-04, 02:16 AM
THIS VERY FORUM SIR AND OR MADAM!

But no. The flavor of a prestige class can be taken other ways, but you can't get the abilities of, say, a Virtuoso without taking levels in the class. Sure, it's just Bard 2.0, but there are enough differences to warrant the PrC. Assassin? Sure, it's a Rogue, but what non-Assassin Rogue gets an Instant Death attack? It's do-able, yeah, but in most cases, the PrC is just easier.

Also: MASTER OF FERRETS! Dual wield Dire Ferrets. At high levels, you can wield four by tying them together like nunchucks.

Origomar
2010-08-04, 02:18 AM
THIS VERY FORUM SIR AND OR MADAM!

But no. The flavor of a prestige class can be taken other ways, but you can't get the abilities of, say, a Virtuoso without taking levels in the class. Sure, it's just Bard 2.0, but there are enough differences to warrant the PrC. Assassin? Sure, it's a Rogue, but what non-Assassin Rogue gets an Instant Death attack? It's do-able, yeah, but in most cases, the PrC is just easier.

Also: MASTER OF FERRETS! Dual wield Dire Ferrets. At high levels, you can wield four by tying them together like nunchucks.

kung pow references lol

Temotei
2010-08-04, 02:20 AM
MASTER OF FERRETS! Dual wield Dire Ferrets. At high levels, you can wield four by tying them together like nunchucks.

You also get a dire ferret animal companion and the ability to summon a number of ferrets equal to class levels + Cha modifier.

I'd call it ferret master, though.

Raistlin1040
2010-08-04, 02:21 AM
kung pow references lol
I wasn't making a reference, but if you thought I was, then I totally was and am very humorous.

This is going to end up like the Awakened Bear Werebear Druid Wildshape into Bear Bear Warrior thing, isn't it?

Edit: I'm going to sleep now. I expect this PrC to be done by the time I check back in about 12 hours.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-08-04, 07:06 AM
No such generator exists to my knowledge and, if one does, I wouldn't recommend relying on it much. As a general rule, random generators are just that: random. You get results that don't really make any sense and are spread all over the place, which isn't what you want from a PrC.

My recommendations are as follows. Hopefully at least one helps you.

Envision a unique character, then determine what Prestige Class said character would have.
Come up with a hybridization of two existing classes, and figure out what multi-class PrC they could become.
Run with a concept (Fae-blessed Paladin, for instance) and see if you can twist it into a class.
Take suggestions from forum goers, and from other homebrew.

Don't give up if your concept exists as a feat: the Fae-blessed Paladin, for example, could merely be a Paladin with the Nymph's Kiss feat...or it could be a Warden of the Hedge. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7129821&postcount=5)

If it'll help, here's a link to my personal PrC homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135310) (in 4e form, as that's the only entire compilation, but links to the 3.5 work is there as well). I tend to make much more specific PrCs, but you may get some good ideas or inspiration from it. Feel free to contact me if you ever want a hand!

TheLonelyScribe
2010-08-04, 08:43 AM
This (http://chaoticshiny.com/clmashupgen.php) and this (http://seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=fusionclass) are quite cool, I think. Give you ideas anyway.

Marvel-dude
2010-08-04, 08:50 AM
Actually... This random PrC or base class generator appeals to me :D

hit die: d4,d6,d8,d10,d12
d4 1-20
d6 21-40
d8 41-60
d10 61-80
d12 81-100

bab: good, medium, bad
Good 1-33
medium 34-66
bad 66-100

saves: roll 3d100 and see check your results (fortitude, reflex, willpower)
good 1-50
bad 51-100

I am a bit lost on class abilities though :\