PDA

View Full Version : Question about item creation.

Bobep
2010-08-04, 04:04 AM
I understand how to create items with charges and items that are continuous, but i can't find the formula for making magic items in 3.5 that are at will or unlimited uses per day.

If possible, let me know where to find this so i can show my DM.

gomipile
2010-08-04, 04:14 AM
Dungeon Master's Guide: p.285, table 7-33, footnote 2.

wick
2010-08-04, 05:25 AM
And those rules are not very good. If you were to reverse engineer most of the wondrous items they would be hundreds of thousands of GP rather than the few thousand they list for the market price.

I think the formulas make a bit more sense in the context of wands/Scrolls/Potions and maybe rods. Not so much for Wondrous items, Staffs, or Rings.

Spell level X Caster level X 2000Gp for use activates with additional multipliers depending on the duration of the spell the item mimics

Lantern of Revealing: Prereqs Invisibility purge Cost 30,000 per book

3rd level spell X Caster level 5 X 2000GP X 2 for being a minute/level spell= 60,000

double the market price. Unless there is something wrong with my math.

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-04, 06:28 AM
Do note that these formulas are merely guidelines and the finished product should be compared to other existing items to determine its true market value. The DM has the final say.

wick
2010-08-04, 07:45 PM
Yeah, how hard can it be to make consistent rules that make sense mathmatically. (Sarcasm.) they should have used different rules for each item type. Why should wondrous item be cheaper than a wand that has charges? I dunno but they are way more cost effective according to the DMG so why make the rules that have an exponential price increase.

At least the item creation rules for 3.0 & 3.5 are leaps and bounds better than the page and a half lof rules in 2nd Ed.