PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Golem-Repair

Chrizzt
2010-08-04, 06:23 AM
Hello! I'm not that familiar with constructs, therefore I post this question here (Search function did not yield anything useful).

Supposed you encounter a golem, for example clay, and destroy it. Can you then repair it and bind it to your will? (Supposed you fulfil all necessary requirements for creating one)

From SRD

Golem
Golems are magically created automatons of great power. Constructing one involves the employment of mighty magic and elemental forces.

The animating force for a golem is a spirit from the Elemental Plane of Earth. The process of creating the golem binds the unwilling spirit to the artificial body and subjects it to the will of the golem’s creator.

I recall that I have somewhere read that you can repair even broken magic items, for the half price of creation costs or the like. If you spend money to reactivate and repair a golem, are you the knew creator, as it was formerly destroyed?

Kaww
2010-08-04, 06:35 AM
I think that golem when destroyed releases the spirit bound within it that powers it. Ergo when destroyed is just a bunch of useless material.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-04, 07:25 AM
It probably can't be repaired because it is the release of the will behind it...
But if you can craft golems, you should be able to use the raw materials of the remains to make a new one. Would covering 50% to 80% of the body's cost be enough?

Chrizzt
2010-08-05, 07:41 AM
Thank you for your replies!

If there are no magic item repair rules, repairing Golems may be not possible.

Recycling Golem Bodies for 50% base price may seem reasonable, though.

Escheton
2010-08-05, 08:27 AM
Check out the warforged entry on repairing hp with craftskills.
Though it doesnt apply to a fully wrecked construct you could use the rules to repair combat damage of the golems you make with what you salvaged from the wreckage of your foes.

Choco
2010-08-05, 08:35 AM
I am AFB right now but from what I remember Warforged can be repaired from below -10hp (AKA death) somehow.

That being said, repairing golems and other constructs is fairly simple provided they are still in the positive HP. There is an entire line of spells (Repair) that wizards/sorcs have that is basically the cure line but for constructs. Magic is the best way to do it, using skill checks takes too much time and money for most players to want to deal with.