PDA

View Full Version : Taking an inspiration from 4E to 3.5: Prestige Classes

Eldan
2010-08-04, 08:40 AM
How would D&D 3.5's balance be affected if prestige classes worked a little like paragon paths from 4E?

By this I mean the following: from level X (probably 6, but later might be better), one can basically gestalt a prestige class along one's normal base class, getting the abilities of both, except where they overlap.

An example: after taking five levels of just wizard, Magnus the Mighty finally qualifies for the Incantatrix prestige class. From now on, he gets the features of both a wizard (basically nothing except spell levels) and the incantatrix ( a whole lot of them). However, since both advance his arcane casting, only one of them counts (i.e. he does not advance 2 levels of casting ever level).

Thorg the Hunter, meanwhile, took five levels or ranger, and now wants to become a horizon walker. At every level, he gains the benefits of both: his combat style and animal companion improves, he gets higher level spells and 6 skill points from his ranger class, but also the horizon master's terrain mastery.

Thoughts on this? Utterly broken? Interesting? Been done before?

Aotrs Commander
2010-08-04, 08:44 AM
I would say that it is far more likely to overpower casters, since there is no downside at all to PrCing. I think you'd more likely cause a greater imbalance than not.

Depending on your specific group you might get away with it if everyone does it AND the opposition consists of (equally dealt with) classed enemies. (Monsters would either need a mid-to-huge boost or have their CR reduced a lot.)

Eldan
2010-08-04, 08:48 AM
Would it overpower casters? Because normally, Tier 1 caster classes already lose almost nothing by multiclassing. I mean, when was the last time someone proposed a pure-class wizard over an incantatrix, archmage, red wizard, or other prestige class? Similarly for the cleric, what does he lose by PrCing? On the other hand, classes of tiers 2-4 usually have at least something on the higher levels they can look forward to.

Kurald Galain
2010-08-04, 08:53 AM
I would say that it is far more likely to overpower casters, since there is no downside at all to PrCing.

I would say the opposite: this has a far greater effect on non-casters, since by RAW most casters already have no downside at all to PrCing. This also means that the caster PrCs that lose caster levels might actually see some play now.

AtwasAwamps
2010-08-04, 09:26 AM
Suddenly Dragon Disciple becomes really, really good.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-08-04, 12:44 PM
Massive unintended consequences. I'd prefer to just cap casting if you want those bad progression classes to be useable.

Lans
2010-08-04, 02:51 PM
Sorcerer gets super charged... by having a better familiar.
Wizard gets all that and 2 bonus feats, dear god.

Fighter gets..opens CW a crapload of possibilities. Or a normal build gets 5 feats.

Beguilers, and dread necros get some stuff, but it seems like it might work out.
Monk becomes decent, due to it gaining a full attack for 10 levels. Maybe some other junk.

You should limit it, so the monk has to take a class that advances unarmed strike or a monk would normally be allowed to MC with it, and casters need to take a class that advances spell casting.