PDA

View Full Version : Potterquest: That's Over 15 Hours Of Film!

Lord Loss
2010-08-04, 08:51 AM
We're going to do it. Three Victims. All 6 Harry Potter Movies. One Mind-Destroying Sleepover.

That's right! We're having a Potter-Thon! Any advice on thematic snacks/tips/your opinion/trying not to hurl the books through my new TV whilst we watch the Third and Sixth?

Obrysii
2010-08-04, 09:49 AM
The sixth film was my favorite!

Though admittedly I just loved the cinematography - some of the story stuff was incoherent.

Avoid overly sweet and salty foods - they'll make you sick after a while.

Mauve Shirt
2010-08-04, 09:53 AM
Wow. You liked the fourth?

Make soda-of-your-choice floats.

Lord Loss
2010-08-04, 10:42 AM
Yes. Yes I did. I enjoyed it even more than the fifth, actually

Harry Potter Movies, according to L.L

The Good
1) The Philosopher's Stone
2)The Chamber of Secrets
3)The Goblet of Fire
4)The Order of The Phoenix

The Bad
5)The Half-Blood Prince

And The Ugly (And by that I mean really really bad)
3) The Prisoner of Azkaban

Delusion
2010-08-04, 10:50 AM
That can't be healthy.

Dread Cthulhu
2010-08-04, 11:17 AM
I did a Batman marathon which was about the same length. So yes I have advice for you.

Order food about halfway through. We ended up ordering pizza between films and getting it delivered during the film, so if you go for that decide which film you want to have more of a background thing while you eat.

I brought a lot of food and ended up taking most of it home again. Have a good mix of stuff, obviously; we had chocolate, doughnuts, cashew nuts, grapes and chicken strips which worked out pretty well.

Figure out seating arrangements beforehand. We had six people, and the seating arrangements were one armchair, a swivelchair and a sofa that fitted three people comfortably and four at a stretch. The people who weren't on the sofa mentioned feeling kind of isolated. Obviously that isn't as big a problem with three, but put some thought into it.

Also, we ended up getting out pillows and mattresses for the last two films, which started about 11.30 at night. That worked out, so you could try that.

Oh, and Goblet of Fire was awful. Order of the Phoenix was best by far.

Lord Loss
2010-08-04, 11:30 AM
I did a Batman marathon which was about the same length. So yes I have advice for you.

Order food about halfway through. We ended up ordering pizza between films and getting it delivered during the film, so if you go for that decide which film you want to have more of a background thing while you eat..

Will do

I brought a lot of food and ended up taking most of it home again. Have a good mix of stuff, obviously; we had chocolate, doughnuts, cashew nuts, grapes and chicken strips which worked out pretty well.

Figure out seating arrangements beforehand. We had six people, and the seating arrangements were one armchair, a swivelchair and a sofa that fitted three people comfortably and four at a stretch. The people who weren't on the sofa mentioned feeling kind of isolated. Obviously that isn't as big a problem with three, but put some thought into it.

Won't be a problem. We'll be three people and we have big enough sofas to fit a LOT of people.

Also, we ended up getting out pillows and mattresses for the last two films, which started about 11.30 at night. That worked out, so you could try that.
Something like this happened during my horror-movie-thon

Oh, and Goblet of Fire was awful. Order of the Phoenix was best by far

This... Means... War... :smallbiggrin:. I prefer the fourth myself... (or at least I remember preferiing it, I may be mistaken.

Delusion
2010-08-04, 11:42 AM
Fourth looked like everyone was under hurry. Especially Voldemort in the last scene, which ruined it for me.

Mystic Muse
2010-08-04, 01:21 PM
Look online for bertie botts every flavored beans. They're like Jelly beans but they have really odd flavors. Haven't tried them myself but they're certainly thematic.

Ugulu!!
2010-08-04, 01:53 PM
My church group is going to do this once the Deathy Hollows films are released! And we will loose all of our Brain cells

Fri
2010-08-04, 05:08 PM
yeah, shouldn't you wait for the last film?

Platinum_Mongoose
2010-08-04, 05:10 PM
Church group + Harry Potter? Interesting. Glad to hear sweeping generalizations can be false!

chiasaur11
2010-08-04, 05:15 PM
Church group + Harry Potter? Interesting. Glad to hear sweeping generalizations can be false!

Usually are.

For example, people say all zombies are evil and only wish to devour human flesh, but in Resident Evil 4, one of them is helpful and polite.

All other zombies are evil and only wish to devour human flesh, admittedly.

Obrysii
2010-08-04, 05:22 PM
The Bad
5)The Half-Blood Prince

But why? I mean - what's so wrong with it?

Platinum_Mongoose
2010-08-04, 06:02 PM
But why? I mean - what's so wrong with it?

Yeah, I thought it was the first one that was actually quite good.

Ugulu!!
2010-08-04, 06:06 PM

Same church group went to go see the Golden Compass when it came out and plays D&D one a month. :P

As for the Half blood Prince, I like it myself, but I feel Dumbledore's death was done badly

Obrysii
2010-08-04, 06:21 PM
As for the Half blood Prince, I like it myself, but I feel Dumbledore's death was done badly

I'm not saying it doesn't have flaws - I'm just wondering why he felt it was so bad.

Mystic Muse
2010-08-04, 06:35 PM
I'm not saying it doesn't have flaws - I'm just wondering why he felt it was so bad.

Well, personally, I was disappointed there wasn't a fight scene at the end.

The Glyphstone
2010-08-04, 06:35 PM
Half-Blood Prince wasted so much of its screen time on stuff that wasn't in the book (like the Burrow on fire) at the expense of stuff that was in the books, and paid way too much attention to the romance subplot. It was't terrible, but it was the worst one so far.

Ugulu!!
2010-08-04, 06:36 PM
Half-Blood Prince wasted so much of its screen time on stuff that wasn't in the book (like the Burrow on fire) at the expense of stuff that was in the books, and paid way too much attention to the romance subplot. It was't terrible, but it was the worst one so far.

Yeah. The Burrow burning down will butcher Bill's wedding. Also, no climatic fight scene, WTF?

Mauve Shirt
2010-08-04, 07:35 PM
Half Blood Prince was more enjoyable to me than the fourth, but I agree it departed distressingly from the book. The problem is, HBP is basically a book of exposition, and exposition makes for a boring film. But it's all interesting and necessary exposition!
Also, no climactic fight scene, wtf?!

Ugulu!!
2010-08-04, 07:43 PM
Also, no climatic fight scene, WTF?

I see you agree with me :smallwink:

Platinum_Mongoose
2010-08-04, 08:23 PM
Well, personally, I was disappointed there wasn't a fight scene at the end.

Yeah. The Burrow burning down will butcher Bill's wedding. Also, no climatic fight scene, WTF?

Re: Fight Scene: Um. Zombies?
Re: Bill's Wedding: Bill isn't exactly in the movies, so it shouldn't be an issue in movie 7.

ShaggyMarco
2010-08-04, 08:26 PM
The problem is, HBP is basically a book of exposition, and exposition makes for a boring film.!

Which is why it is absolutely insane they cut, of all things, the single action scene in the entire book from the film!

I definitely rank film 6 at the bottom of the heap along with Prisoner of Azkaban.

Funny enough, Book 4 is my least favorite, but Film 4 is my favorite.

Ugulu!!
2010-08-04, 08:26 PM
Re: Fight Scene: Um. Zombies?
Re: Bill's Wedding: Bill isn't exactly in the movies, so it shouldn't be an issue in movie 7.

Zombies were lame.

Yeah, but its important for the enitre plot of #7. It gets the book going.

Funny enough, Book 4 is my least favorite, but Film 4 is my favorite.

I think the same thing about #5

Mauve Shirt
2010-08-04, 08:35 PM
The zombies were incredibly lame.

DomaDoma
2010-08-04, 08:38 PM
These movies are still sustaining wounds from the third movie and its total neglect to mention the Fidelius Charm. And I think a substantial part of DH, Part Two is going to have to be "Snape: A Remedial Course". Seriously, the inter-movie continuity is worse than any one movie on its own could possibly account for.

Lord Loss
2010-08-05, 05:34 AM
Reasons I hate #1.

1) They cut the ending fight scene
2) They destroyed the burrow
3) When the film's not showing us a good bit (so 4/5 of the time) , it's a romance movie. If i wanted to see twillight, I wouldn't be here.

The things I liked about it

Draco got alot of character development and it had a dark feel to it.

DomaDoma
2010-08-05, 06:58 AM
The very foremost reason not to like the sixth movie was that, erm, we don't actually know what any of the Horcruxes are. I mean, it's not like Harry had a crystal-clear idea of how he was going about this in the book, folks!

(As for destroying the Burrow, intelligence suggests that they're going to be filming the wedding at the Burrow anyway. And it will be Bill's, despite the fact that Tonks has at least appeared on screen in the past six movies. Ngh.)

Lord Loss
2010-08-05, 07:56 AM
(As for destroying the Burrow, intelligence suggests that they're going to be filming the wedding at the Burrow anyway. And it will be Bill's, despite the fact that Tonks has at least appeared on screen in the past six movies. Ngh.)

Wow. As far as I'm concerned the director can take a Nimbus 2000 and sh-

forum rules.

Right.

And why did they get rid of Quidditch in the last few movies? I liked quidditch.

Dread Cthulhu
2010-08-05, 11:54 AM
And why did they get rid of Quidditch in the last few movies? I liked quidditch.

Goblet of Fire clearly got it right, the fans had clearly had enough of the actual sport and were only in it for the people beginning the game. :smallmad:

To be honest, taking out Quidditch is a change I can support. It's difficult to sustain the suspense of "a Dark wizard is out there killing people for fun and we need to stop him" when it keeps breaking up for light-hearted sport action.

Also, one of the criticisms of HBP on here is that it was overly romantic. Throwing in the sporting subplot wouldn't help focus the story. Quidditch was something that worked in the books, but stopped working in the films once they started getting Dark and Edgy.

Well, that's my take on it anyway.

Platinum_Mongoose
2010-08-05, 02:08 PM
1) They cut the ending fight scene

You're upset they cut the battle, you mean? That was slowly built up to in the book? That wasn't in any way implied in the film? That would have been completely out of left field in the film? Seriously. If there was an actual knock-down drag-out fight between the Death Eaters and the Hogwarts staff and Dumbledore's Army, I would have wanted a bit more discussion about the Hogwarts staff and Dumbledore's Army during the film. As for the finale, it wasn't really a "fight," true. It was a confrontation. A really well-done one, in my opinion. (And sort of a "hey, look, Draco kid can act after all" moment.) Just because it wasn't a chase/duel in a room of glowing orbs doesn't mean it wasn't a fitting climax.

The Glyphstone
2010-08-05, 02:15 PM
Tom Felton was the only redeeming feature of the movie, he really proved his acting chops here. Probably should have gotten top billing over the 'main' trio, tbh.

skywalker
2010-08-05, 04:56 PM
Tom Felton was the only redeeming feature of the movie, he really proved his acting chops here. Probably should have gotten top billing over the 'main' trio, tbh.

We should've known from the beginning that Tom's star is probably brightest. IF he even keeps acting (he's hinted that he won't).

Also, I support the OP's intended course of action whole-heartedly.

meshumekha
2010-08-11, 07:35 PM
15 hours of film. And only about 2 or 3 hours is worth watching!