The Giant
2010-08-04, 08:58 AM
New comic is up.

Lighturtle
2010-08-04, 09:01 AM
Circuses? Does circenses mean that?

hamishspence
Yikes! Looks like Roy is a bit lacking in foresight here.

Eldan
Bread! Circuses! Distraction! :smallbiggrin:

So, how good is Roy compared to the average fully armoured elite gladiator?

Dread Cthulhu
I like where this plot is going now. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Nevitan
2010-08-04, 09:03 AM
Oh boy, saw those mid week games coming as soon as Roy had a plan around the weekend only games.

Kurald Galain
2010-08-04, 09:03 AM
It's funny how Sending sets limits on words, but not on punctuation marks.

One of these days, somebodyisgoingtosendawholenovelbysimplyeliminatin gspaces...

pendell
2010-08-04, 09:04 AM
I LOVE IT! I just want to know... will there be a sarlacc or a rancor?

ENTERTAIN ME!

Pardon me while I get the popcorn for the midweek games.

There y'go thinking real-life and not D&D. Odds are good that the average gladiator fighter is a level 1 or level 2 with some training. Roy is a double-digit level fighter. He could own them all with an improvised weapon, AC bonus to the mooks notwithstanding.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Delusion
2010-08-04, 09:05 AM
And thats how sending should be done :smallbiggrin:

The ending was simply awesome!

Yana
2010-08-04, 09:05 AM
I'll freely admit, Mr. Scruffy and Blackwing were amusing in this comic.

bue52
2010-08-04, 09:08 AM
Should have expected the dramatic irony coming. But more importantly, I hope the comic maintains this speed for a week.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2010-08-04, 09:08 AM
Of course, Tarquin would NEVER lie to anyone about anything! It's just not proper!

He'll just use misdirection and half-truths.

Anyways, Roy has plenty of Fighter levels, and most of his combat threat is flat damage from Power Attack. And Belkar is, as always, a sexy shoeless god of war. The worst that could happen would be...

Roy and Belkar are forced to fight each other.

Larkspur
2010-08-04, 09:10 AM
Wow. Your new update speed is godlike, Rich.

The mystery of Mr. Scruffy's whereabouts is resolved.

And everyone has gotten very good at counting to 25. Go team! It's actually kind of depressing how much more competent Roy and Haley are than Durkon.

VampireRot
2010-08-04, 09:12 AM
Hah. I like how Belkar points out it would be rather easy to kill someone with a wooden sword. :smalltongue:

I bet Belkar massacres most of the gladiators. Hilarity ensues. Roy probably will fight him too.

Frog Dragon
2010-08-04, 09:16 AM
Great Comic. Belkar is absolutely right too.
Bread and Circuses for the win. :smallbiggrin:

Agi Hammerthief
a refreshingly honest government

otakuryoga
Sending works sooooooo much better when you dont ramble like a certain someone......
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0337.html

mcl01
2010-08-04, 09:17 AM
Ah, bread and circuses. Is there any better PR campaign?

Berserk Knight
2010-08-04, 09:18 AM
Well, we see again how it is definitely a Lawful Evil empire; admits being brutal and oppressive.

mcl01
2010-08-04, 09:19 AM
Wait - is it just me or does it look like blackwing is pooping on Mr. Scruffy there? I see a little bit of brown right below him.

ThePhantasm
2010-08-04, 09:20 AM
That was funny. So obviously, the way around the "legal issue" that Durkon has a problem with is for Roy and Belkar to fight their way to freedom. I'm looking forward to the arena battle.

Also noticed Scruffy and Blackwing aren't getting along...

RndmNumGen
2010-08-04, 09:22 AM
Wonderful! First thing when I log on - new comic.

EDIT: I enjoyed the "Also: Bread! Circuses!" reference.

Grank
2010-08-04, 09:22 AM
Lol, loved the last panel.

Kranden
2010-08-04, 09:23 AM
Hooray for midweek Gladiator battles!

Wait - is it just me or does it look like blackwing is pooping on Mr. Scruffy there? I see a little bit of brown right below him.

also bird poop is white remember :P

TheMac04
2010-08-04, 09:26 AM
I can't wait to see where the plot is going. The update speed has been incredible! Keep it up Rich!

Asta Kask
2010-08-04, 09:27 AM
Could this be the long-awaited moment when Belkar bites it?

Probably not. *sigh*

Ashen Lilies

I think it's one of his toes. You'll notice that one of his feet has three toes and the other has two. Either Mr. Scruffy has been particularly violent, or it's a minor art error. Probably the latter. :smalltongue:

Jagos
It's like karma always comes to bite Roy right when it doesn't need to...

I find that to be quite amusing.

RndmNumGen
2010-08-04, 09:28 AM
I can't wait to see where the plot is going. The update speed has been incredible! Keep it up Rich!

It will be interesting seeing how Roy will react when they find out about the mid-week games.

I also wonder if Durkon will accept Malak's invitation now...

Laketh Stadt
2010-08-04, 09:29 AM
Ill take that as a Star Trek reference :)

Barstro
2010-08-04, 09:30 AM
Hooray for midweek Gladiator battles!

Looked like it involves real weapons too. For one side, at least.

Eldan
2010-08-04, 09:32 AM
I LOVE IT! I just want to know... will there be a sarlacc or a rancor?

ENTERTAIN ME!

Pardon me while I get the popcorn for the midweek games.

There y'go thinking real-life and not D&D. Odds are good that the average gladiator fighter is a level 1 or level 2 with some training. Roy is a double-digit level fighter. He could own them all with an improvised weapon, AC bonus to the mooks notwithstanding.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

That's why I'm asking, actually. It's not "Oh my god, Roy is dead, he has no armour." It's more "As a high-level D&D character, how long can Roy survive?"

You should notice, however, that the entire OotS world seems fairly high level on average, with wizards encountered in shops and sorcerers leading bandits. So the elite gladiator might actually be a mid-level character too.

Ancalagon
Nice.

Especially look how the games are in honor of the son, not the dead wife.

Quinton250
I'm very impressed with the update speed as of late.

I'm also very surprised how much information V could contain in a 25 word sending considering how much trouble Nale and Durkon had with them. I thought V was the one who typically rambled on, maybe the others wrote him/her a script.

Never mind, I reread the comic and it clearly states Haley wrote it. Nice touch Giant.

Siosilvar
2010-08-04, 09:37 AM

That's Blackwing's misplaced middle toe/claw.

RndmNumGen
2010-08-04, 09:47 AM
Ill take that as a Star Trek reference :)

:smallconfused:

warmachine
2010-08-04, 09:48 AM
For a brutally oppressive regime, they have a very open door policy. If they were a liberal democracy, they'd have a very open door policy.

Tundar
2010-08-04, 09:50 AM
Yay for midweek games!

Can't wait to see how Belkar is going to kick some gladitorial ass.

derfenrirwolv
2010-08-04, 09:52 AM
V taking instruction on how to use his magic. He* IS learning.

Laketh Stadt
2010-08-04, 09:55 AM
:smallconfused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_Circuses_%28Star_Trek:_The_Original_Seri es%29

I figgured I didnt explain that well enough.

ShippoWildheart
2010-08-04, 09:56 AM
Circuses! Elan would have wanted to see Roys and Belkars fight just for that.

*That was a Star Trek reference?!? Wow that one sure whooshed past my head. but in a good way. :smallsmile:

Pandabear
2010-08-04, 10:04 AM
*snicker* oh man.. :smallbiggrin:

Ichneumon
2010-08-04, 10:07 AM
How is this a star trek reference? I know the episode, but honestly, the phrase using the phrase "Bread and Circuses" isn't a reference to Star Trek.

Kish
2010-08-04, 10:13 AM
There is no Star Trek reference. What there is, is a reference to the Roman Empire.

The title of the Star Trek episode is also a reference to the Roman Empire.

(Deja vu: "Good is Dumb" is not a reference to TVTropes. "Good is Dumb" is a reference to Spaceballs, when it appears in OotS and when it appears on TVTropes.)

Kroy
2010-08-04, 10:27 AM
Bread and circuses.

That made my day :smallbiggrin:

jidasfire
2010-08-04, 10:32 AM
Poor Roy. I wonder if he ever gets tired of being wrong. Of course, the reason he's wrong so much is because the world is out to get him more than it cares about logic, but I imagine that doesn't soften the blow any. But hey, if this lets him catch up on levels with the rest of the team and pull of a Spartacus-style rebellion, I'm all for it.

Tira-chan
2010-08-04, 10:37 AM
Ah, Haley. Every proper team of adventurers needs a Nasty Suspicious Person to keep them in check. I still think Tarquin might have freed Roy and Belkar, but it might be a good idea not to let him know about them, either. Right now, the members of the Order currently assembled look pretty non-threatening: the General's son, the son's girlfriend, an elf who's been paralyzed or asleep most of the time, and a cleric who's made friends with their cleric. Belkar would definitely hike up the Order's threat level, and I can see Roy severely clashing with Tarquin over matters of policy; he strikes as more likely to be argumentative than Durkon, especially after being imprisoned.
</rambles>

StreetPizza
2010-08-04, 10:54 AM
Yay! Roy and Belkar get to fight in the arena now! I'm expecting more or less a good deal of curb stompage based just on Roy and Belkar's levels compared to what's likely for a bunch of ragtag prisoners and guards. If they were anywhere close to a level in the double digits, they could've made a decent living outside of the arena anyways, right?

Well, then there's Ganji and Enor.

OmegaDonut
2010-08-04, 10:55 AM
I like how the figure being sliced in half on the poster resembles Roy (if he weren't colored in), right down to the Belt of Giant Strength. Nice touch.

Solara
2010-08-04, 10:56 AM
So I don't see Roy and Belkar having any real problem tearing through the other gladiators (except maybe moral conflict for Roy) but then there'll be no one left to fight except our two bounty hunters and of course...each other. :smalleek:

Is it finally time to say goodbye to Belkar? I don't care if he's a twisted little psychopath, he's a great character and I'm going to miss him. :smallfrown:

Geno9999
2010-08-04, 10:58 AM
Wow, Giant's on a roll now, by releasing more comic updates. Though, that probably has something to do with the little arc here.:smallsmile:

I bet that Haley and Elan will be invited by Tarquin to the midweek "games", sees Roy and Belkar fight, and then Hilarity Ensues (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HilarityEnsues)... wait... did I just suddenly made the Giant change plans?

King of Nowhere
2010-08-04, 11:03 AM

Respectfully,

Brian P.
That would be the realistic stuff. Maybe a couple levels more, a level 1 gladiator won't last long - at best, he'll level up soon.
But if this works like a D&D campaign or, worse, a D&D based videogame, all the gladiators will be an appropriate-level threath to Roy and Belkar.
You know, when in neverwinter nigths you stormed a tribe of orcs and every orc you encountered was at least level 5?

I hope Rich will find a way to give Roy and blkar an appropriate threath while keeping things realistic.
By the way, given their level, I wonder what kept them from simply cutting a path through the guards with improvised weapons and broke free by themselves. Maybe they were waiting for intelligence from the others.

Ron Miel
2010-08-04, 11:08 AM
Nice.

Especially look how the games are in honor of the son, not the dead wife.

They held a state funeral for her last week.

the_tick_rules
2010-08-04, 11:11 AM
You'd think Roy would realize plot trumps his logic by now.

Neopolis
2010-08-04, 11:17 AM
Hehe, "Bread! Circuses!"...

Bongos
2010-08-04, 11:20 AM
stupid stupid stupid plan...

Ninjaman
2010-08-04, 11:22 AM
They are so srewed, alltrough i think belkar may find all the mindless killing aceptable:belkar:

JoeSkull
2010-08-04, 11:26 AM
And here I thought Roy had a good plan...

And the Giant is really pumping them out now, nice work.

Nilan8888
2010-08-04, 11:31 AM
Has anyone mentioned how the guard helmets look to be a bit of a style blend between German WWII (full back) and WWI (top spike) helmets?

Maybe it's non-intentional, but it's still kinda cool.

Zexion
2010-08-04, 11:32 AM
And you WILL be distracted from our brutal oppressive regime until Saturday!
Best. Line. Ever. :smallbiggrin:

Eldritch Knight
2010-08-04, 11:34 AM
So, are we getting into the Star Trek jokes now?

See: ST: "Bread and Circuses"..

Rion
2010-08-04, 11:36 AM
RE: Bread and circuses:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_circuses

suszterpatt
2010-08-04, 11:40 AM
Hey look, Mr. Scruffy is a cold-blooded murderer! :D

Also, great to see such rapid updates, hopefully Mr. Burlew can keep it up for at least a couple more strips. Things are starting to pick up.

Delusion
2010-08-04, 11:41 AM
Just me, or does the gladiator being evasticerated(sp) in the poster looks suspiciously like roy?

AlexanderRM
2010-08-04, 11:55 AM
Bread! Circuses! Distraction! :smallbiggrin:

I don't quite see how they'd be facing armored elite gladiators when they don't have any armor. It makes no logical sense.

I'm also not really seeing facing elite gladiators... a lot of the people are criminals ("criminals") sentenced to the gladiatorial arena, and many may be relatively low-level. Though I guess that those may get killed off really quickly and wind up with the gladiators who have survived through being high-level fighting each other...

Of course, Tarquin would NEVER lie to anyone about anything! It's just not proper!

He'll just use misdirection and half-truths.

Actually, he said that he was a "man of honor", and while we shouldn't necessarily take that at face value I could easily see an LE character who doesn't lie. (at least, not any more than an LG character)

Saphy
2010-08-04, 11:56 AM
There's Mr. Scruffy. :D

Also Roy should have known that if he made a plan based on the games being on the weekend that the time of the games would deviate from the norm.

( I still don't know the best way to form that sentence. Ew. )

Nilan8888
2010-08-04, 12:15 PM
{Scrubbed}

Gray Mage
2010-08-04, 12:24 PM
I don't know if it's an art mistake or what, but between Blackwing and Mr. Scruffy there's a brown dot, or am I seeing things? :smallconfused:

Bongos
2010-08-04, 12:28 PM
Poster sure does look like Roy doesn't it?

Detrinex
2010-08-04, 12:38 PM
The guy getting sliced in half on the poster looks a wee bit too much like Roy.

Woodsman
2010-08-04, 12:41 PM
Haha, I love the "ALSO: Bread! Circuses!" bit on the poster.

RickDaily12
2010-08-04, 01:01 PM

Care to place a bet on that, pendell?

Your average warriors that are everyday guards meant to battle the prisoners, (in other words, the gladiators whom AREN'T imprisoned), yes, they will be low level, probably 6th level fighter, at the absolute best.

But if we're talking gladitator CHAMPIONS, face it, even Roy is worried about attracting the attention from one of them. And the way it looks, whoever drew up that poster seemed to pay a lot of close attention to Roy in particular. Those champions are HIGH LEVEL.

Something's up. I sense that this arena battle isn't going to be a walk in the park for both poor Belkar and Roy. They need to stay sharp, and fight their best.

Acero
2010-08-04, 01:04 PM
This'a gonna be fun...

Does anyone else think that galdiator in the poster looks like Tarquin?

Okay, who wins in a fight then? Roy vs. Tarquin

rewinn
2010-08-04, 01:11 PM
This'a gonna be fun...

Roy with no armor vs. Tarquin with his favorite equipment?

Tarquin doesn't at this point know who Roy-the-prisoner is, except another chance to show the crowd what an Evil Warlord can do to them.
==

ALSO: it's unfortunate Haley used the word "jailbreak" since it lead to her thinking Roy didn't want Elan to ask his dad to free them. Once again, her less-than-trusting-nature leads to trouble.

Vectner
2010-08-04, 01:22 PM
I love how they used Roy as the poster boy for the criminal slaughter.

Lecan
2010-08-04, 01:27 PM
I think it's interesting that at finally someone associated with the Order (in addition to V) finally notices Blackwing as an actual living creature.

Edit: After V's change, that is.

Acero
2010-08-04, 01:28 PM
Roy with no armor vs. Tarquin with his favorite equipment?

Tarquin doesn't at this point know who Roy-the-prisoner is, except another chance to show the crowd what an Evil Warlord can do to them.
==

ALSO: it's unfortunate Haley used the word "jailbreak" since it lead to her thinking Roy didn't want Elan to ask his dad to free them. Once again, her less-than-trusting-nature leads to trouble.

Actually, Roy is shown in armor in the poster

Nilan8888
2010-08-04, 01:38 PM
Something's up. I sense that this arena battle isn't going to be a walk in the park for both poor Belkar and Roy. They need to stay sharp, and fight their best.

It might be the best explanation that since Tarquin was already alerted to Gannji's arrest, he had a look at those who were captured with him, saw who didn't have citizenship papers and put 2+2 together -- then diverted them to the arena.

I'm not sure it makes sense that Tarquin would want them dead... who knows, maybe this is in itself Tarquin being lenient since they might have otherwise R&B might have been sent to summary execution... but he is maybe planning to test out the fighting prowess of his son's friends.

He may use this to his advantage. Still I think he'd work for Roy and Belkar to be released in the end... having them die in the arena doesn't gain Tarquin anything.

SmaugTheYounger
2010-08-04, 02:03 PM
Ah, OotS keeps surprising me. Again. You think, it'll be very complicated, it gets straightforward, and then puzzleing again. And I wonder how this will end for Gannji and Enor...

Oh, and like the Map from #698, or the Wanted poster from #714, this games advertisment screams for page on its own in the forthcoming book.

This'a gonna be fun...

Hm... same shoes, same gear, different helmet, no cape. In ancient rome, only the real crazy emporers fought in the arena. Maby this is telling...

Laeranu
2010-08-04, 02:04 PM

Tarquin any day. Sure Roy might be strong and has devotion and all that, but Tarquin has all that (read #725 for backround info on Tarquin) and has super heavy armour and powerful weapons and great fighting skill.

Roy wouldn't stand a chance.

Nimrod's Son
2010-08-04, 02:10 PM
Hey look, Mr. Scruffy is a cold-blooded murderer! :D
See also: cat. :smallwink:

Viskocity
2010-08-04, 02:17 PM

One of these days, somebodyisgoingtosendawholenovelbysimplyeliminatin gspaces...

How about in morse code?

.-.. .. -.- . / - .... .. ...

Doug Lampert
2010-08-04, 02:21 PM

It sends words. Running N words together doesn't neccessarily make a new word, most of the time it's just N words run together or not a word at all.

Now, since the creature can recognize you (per the spell), and Rich represents this by having you visible, you could try carrying a sign or wearing a t-shirt with something written on it, or otherwise sending writting as part of being visible on the other side.

St Fan
2010-08-04, 02:28 PM
I can't help but notice, but it's been more than 40 strips (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html) since the last time the full Order was reunited - if not physically, at least on the same comic.

Including the familiars. No surprise there that a cat and bird wouldn't get along too well.

Richard J.
2010-08-04, 02:34 PM
"Also: Bread! Circuses!" has to be the best reference ever. Makes me almost squee with delight at seeing such an apt concept lampshaded so flawlessly. That's just brilliant.

Not to mention the sign's clear mention that games are in Tarquin's son's honor. Maybe :haley: 's a little too paranoid? (Then again, the sign didn't specifically say Elan did it. He has two sons. . . nah, that would be a bad twist.)

It will be interesting to see if :elan: 's right and just ASKING for them to be released would have worked.

LuPuWei
2010-08-04, 02:50 PM
And the plot is least expected (for me anyway- i mean arena match sure, but how its been pulled off? good good)

Scruffy is hankerin' for a bit of chicken! (Actually its a nice bit of karmic payback after blackwing tried to eat lizardV)

Killer Angel
2010-08-04, 02:55 PM
This is absolutely the best and smartest sending I've ever seen!
And decisely one of the funniest gladiator poster, also... :smallbiggrin:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-08-04, 02:55 PM
So what are the chances that one of them will see the posters and panic?

Also, I love the posters and Belkar's train of thought is amusing.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-08-04, 02:57 PM
The irony! It BURNS!

That's just plain awesome.

Bastian
2010-08-04, 03:21 PM
"Also: Bread! Circuses!" has to be the best reference ever. Makes me almost squee with delight at seeing such an apt concept lampshaded so flawlessly. That's just brilliant.

Not to mention the sign's clear mention that games are in Tarquin's son's honor. Maybe :haley: 's a little too paranoid? (Then again, the sign didn't specifically say Elan did it. He has two sons. . . nah, that would be a bad twist.)

It will be interesting to see if :elan: 's right and just ASKING for them to be released would have worked.

Panem et circenses, indeed - I completely empathize with the feeling.
Plus, since 'our' Tarquin is probably closer in personality to Tarquinius Superbus than Priscus Haley might not be so paranoid...

Nilan8888
2010-08-04, 03:33 PM

Not to mention the sign's clear mention that games are in Tarquin's son's honor. Maybe Haley's a little too paranoid? (Then again, the sign didn't specifically say Elan did it. He has two sons. . . nah, that would be a bad twist.)

It will be interesting to see if Elan's right and just ASKING for them to be released would have worked.

What would be even more interesting is Roy's reaction when he realizes he's going to get thrashed around in gladitorial games THROWN IN ELAN'S HONOR.

Almaseti
2010-08-04, 03:40 PM
Honestly, I'm just eager to see what happens when Roy meets Tarquin.

Marnath
2010-08-04, 04:03 PM
Has anyone mentioned how the guard helmets look to be a bit of a style blend between German WWII (full back) and WWI (top spike) helmets?

Maybe it's non-intentional, but it's still kinda cool.

This got mentioned way back when we first got a look at the imperial guards, and Rich was so bothered by it he actually posted to shoot the idea down in flames. They look that way because he thought it was fitting for a desert area. Any resemblance to a real group of people is a coincidence.

JonestheSpy
2010-08-04, 04:15 PM
It sends words. Running N words together doesn't neccessarily make a new word, most of the time it's just N words run together or not a word at all.

Unless you're speaking German (http://courses.csusm.edu/grmn201mh/long%20words.htm).

Hrairoo
2010-08-04, 04:33 PM
the plot was definitely working too easily in there favor up until now. i mean seriously, roy, you couldn't see this coming? you're in an arena! has your time with elan been for naught? you will be fighting! :smallbiggrin:

MarkusWolfe
2010-08-04, 04:38 PM
Great comic.....and awesome speed too! Did Rich have to take an epic crafting feat for that?

The MunchKING
2010-08-04, 05:25 PM
Nice of them to target ROY for the bifubication on all the posters. Just because he's the newest guy, or do they realize his plot-critical nature, making him one of two they COULD put on the poster??:smalltongue::smalltongue:

brilliantlight
2010-08-04, 05:36 PM
First time I have seen Roy do something really dumb. If you have a chance to get out of prison, TAKE IT!

Ikialev
2010-08-04, 06:01 PM
What, ruptured spleen again? It's not a lethal injury the second time you write it.

Marnath
2010-08-04, 06:07 PM
First time I have seen Roy do something really dumb. If you have a chance to get out of prison, TAKE IT!

I'm thinking that you must have totally disregarded the rest of the strip, where he explains why it wouldn't be a good idea to get him out of there. Getting him out of prison would actively threaten the team's plans, because they need to get dirt on Girard. He also has no way of knowing about the special games, so he doesn't know he's in any danger.

brilliantlight
2010-08-04, 06:19 PM
I'm thinking that you must have totally disregarded the rest of the strip, where he explains why it wouldn't be a good idea to get him out of there. Getting him out of prison would actively threaten the team's plans, because they need to get dirt on Girard. He also has no way of knowing about the special games, so he doesn't know he's in any danger.

Actually, I read it but I disagree with the reasoning. It just isn't worth the risk.

KuH
2010-08-04, 06:30 PM
Scheduling Conflict ...

... oh, I just got it. The act of figuring out when to hold the conflict!!!

Good pun!!!

suszterpatt
2010-08-04, 06:33 PM
Actually, I read it but I disagree with the reasoning. It just isn't worth the risk.Roy might feel perfectly confident in their chances of survival, what with him being a high level fighter and having the Sexy Shoeless God of War by his side. And, as far as he knows, there won't be any real fights until the day that he will be broken out anyway.

The MunchKING
2010-08-04, 07:12 PM
That was funny. So obviously, the way around the "legal issue" that Durkon has a problem with is for Roy and Belkar to fight their way to freedom.

Assuming that's actually a posssibility here...

Kish
2010-08-04, 07:17 PM
Roy might feel perfectly confident in their chances of survival, what with him being a high level fighter and having the Sexy Shoeless God of War by his side. And, as far as he knows, there won't be any real fights until the day that he will be broken out anyway.
Really, brilliantlight is allowed to disagree with Roy's reasoning without it meaning s/he needs Roy's thought processes explained to him/her. :smalltongue:

suszterpatt
2010-08-04, 07:26 PM
Really, brilliantlight is allowed to disagree with Roy's reasoning without it meaning s/he needs Roy's thought processes explained to him/her. :smalltongue:I was just pointing out that from Roy's point of view there is no risk whatsoever, but yeah, let's leave it at that.

Blaznak
2010-08-04, 07:50 PM
I bought my tickets for the fight already. Got them on Tic-hacks master.

Shadoww0lf
2010-08-04, 08:21 PM
I completely saw the fighting in honor of Elan bit coming when I saw Roy and Belkar get hauled to the arena. Seriously, ELAN could have seen this coming! You know if he was a reader and not a PC. Heck he may still see it coming.

Also, Mr. Scruffy and Blackwing = hilarity.

Acero
2010-08-04, 08:27 PM
I bought my tickets for the fight already. Got them on Tic-hacks master.

Why in world would you BUY tickets. Haven't you put points into climb and move silently?

brilliantlight
2010-08-04, 08:48 PM
I was just pointing out that from Roy's point of view there is no risk whatsoever, but yeah, let's leave it at that.

With a country run by an absolute dictatorship I wouldn't run the risk that things wouldn't change. Why run the risk? It isn't likely that Elan's own father is going to change his mind about the illusionist. He wants to impress his own son and Roy should be able to guess that.

Mr. Scaly
2010-08-04, 09:00 PM
Wild mass guessing!

Tarquin knows Roy is in the arena as a gladiator and A) set this up specifically to get him killed for reasons not yet stated, and B) deliberately had that sign sport a likeness of Roy on it. :smallbiggrin:

DreadArchon
2010-08-04, 09:11 PM
New thought:
Belkar goes up against Roy. Roy is understandably unhappy about this and attempts to refuse to fight, but Belkar demonstrates a complete lack of feigned character growth and seriously attempts to kill Roy. Roy kills him in self defense.

Marnath
2010-08-04, 09:17 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble but i saw your "new thought" suggested like a dozen times last thread :smallredface:

iroZn
2010-08-04, 10:11 PM
Who else squealed with excitement at the last panel? :smallbiggrin:

colonelslime
2010-08-04, 10:56 PM
I just have to say I love the "Bread! Circuses!" line. Panem et Circenses indeed.
Really the most effective way to appease a disgruntled populace.

LordGabe
2010-08-04, 11:57 PM
LMAO! Thanks the GODS good ol' Belkar is Back!

"If you can't kill something with a piece of wood, you should get out of the killing business." has just taken the second place on my favorite Belkar quotes of all times list, replacing the traditional "It's as true today as when I started adventuring: when in doubt, set something on fire."

First prize, obviously, goes to "I'M A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!"

abadguy
2010-08-04, 11:59 PM
Wow, I'm really appreciative and grateful for the regular and quick updates! Just when the plot is picking up after the long dénouement! Thanks Rich.

Feefers
2010-08-05, 01:11 AM
How can scruffy see Blackwing?

Did I miss something?

factotum
2010-08-05, 01:48 AM
Er, why wouldn't he be able to see Blackwing? Blackwing isn't invisible and never has been (apart from when he's disappeared into Hammerspace because V doesn't need him at that moment).

JonestheSpy
2010-08-05, 02:22 AM
New thought:
Belkar goes up against Roy. Roy is understandably unhappy about this and attempts to refuse to fight, but Belkar demonstrates a complete lack of feigned character growth and seriously attempts to kill Roy. Roy kills him in self defense.

Here's an actual new thought: Roy and Belkar are in the arena, and Belkar surprises the hell out of everyone by NOT trying to kill Roy. Why? A few possibilities - one is that this quest with the OotS is really all he's got going, and I think he likes playing-while-cheating. Otherwise, he could have wandered off long ago without a backward glance.

Really, I think he's kind of attached to the Order even though he wouldn't admit it. He seemed genuinely upset when he realized that V, Elan, and Durkon sailed away without him (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0483.html), and when Haley tried to fire him (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0570.html). Not just because he was in trouble, but because he was being abandoned. Also, if he tried to kill Roy, the rest of the Order would probably not let him have Mr, Scruffy back.

Garwain
2010-08-05, 02:55 AM
2 things disturbed me: Belkars train of thoughts and the fact that I liked it.

Anyway, the merchandising machine is already printing: I watched <PCname> get killed and all I bought was this lousy T-shirt.

LuPuWei
2010-08-05, 03:52 AM
Really, I think he's kind of attached to the Order even though he wouldn't admit it. Not just because he was in trouble, but because he was being abandoned.

I agree. In the OotSverse, being Evil doesn't meet you automatically hate Everyone. Tarquin and Nale have both shown us that (I mean aside from Sabine, I'm pretty sure Nale actually likes Thog as a friend...)

Also, if he tried to kill Roy, the rest of the Order would probably not let him have Mr, Scruffy back.

I still assert that Scruffy would have the final say in such matters :smallbiggrin:

whitelaughter
2010-08-05, 04:10 AM
Why in world would you BUY tickets. Haven't you put points into climb and move silently?
Lawful Evil empire...what bet that thereare several very tempting ways to sneak into 'watch' the games, that are all set up so you find yourself dropped into the arena?

Roy should be fine; he can still use his feats etc. Belkar...yeah, I'm thinking Belkar will be dying here. No magic ring, limited to one weapon and so forth.

If I was the ring master and I realised how deadly Belkar was, I'd build up some poor shmuck as 'the ultimate champion' and send them against Belkar, so that'd he'd use his barbarian rage: then when the rage wears off send a *real* champion in against Belkar. That'd nail the little half-man.

hamishspence
2010-08-05, 04:27 AM
I agree. In the OotSverse, being Evil doesn't meet you automatically hate Everyone. Tarquin and Nale have both shown us that (I mean aside from Sabine, I'm pretty sure Nale actually likes Thog as a friend...)

Nale's Plan here:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0255.html

seems to assume it will take Thog out of action "Find new fighter for afterwards" and the 84% chance of Thog being hit by an anvil is deemed "acceptable"

I haven't seen much to suggest Nale likes Thog.

St Fan
2010-08-05, 05:21 AM
Nale's Plan here:

seems to assume it will take Thog out of action "Find new fighter for afterwards" and the 84% chance of Thog being hit by an anvil is deemed "acceptable"

Indeed. The closest he ever came to showing appreciation for the half-orc is in this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0396.html), and that wasn't much:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/smilies/oots/nale.gif "Every once in a while, he reminds me why we hang out with him."

LuPuWei
2010-08-05, 06:09 AM
Nale's Plan here:

Hmm, maybe your right. But I'm not completely convinced. Evil guys are sometimes bigger on the bravado and "my minions are dispensible" than they are inside. I mean, for a guy in an essentially expendable role, Thog has been in the team for a loooooooooooong time- more than we can say than any of Nale's other associates.

:thog: - Thog just lucky?

or

:thog: - Nale always come back for Thog!

hamishspence
2010-08-05, 06:15 AM
True- but Nale seems like a slightly less likely candidate.

Not so much "Hate Everyone" as "Sees nearly everyone else's lives as means to an end"- with Sabine as a possible exception.

Redcloak had a "my minions are dispensible" mindset for a while when dealing with the hobgoblins- but he got over it.

The dwarf assassin sent to kill the King of Nowhere, appeared to at least have qualms about killing innocent bystanders:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0241.html

But I'd be surprised if Nale shows genuine affection for anyone but Sabine.

LuPuWei
2010-08-05, 06:36 AM
Good examples, and we can at least agree that Evil does not equal lack of attachment or mindless killing machine. In other words, no need to assume killing Roy is high on Belkar's list of priorities right now.

And to add to JonestheSpy's examples prior to this:

Really, I think he's kind of attached to the Order even though he wouldn't admit it. He seemed genuinely upset when he realized that V, Elan, and Durkon sailed away without him (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0483.html), and when Haley tried to fire him (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0570.html). Not just because he was in trouble, but because he was being abandoned...

Belkar also stood up for Elan (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0153.html) once (if briefly).

hamishspence
2010-08-05, 06:44 AM
Good examples, and we can at least agree that Evil does not equal lack of attachment or mindless killing machine.

One of the more common motivations for a "turn to evil" in fiction is too much attachment, to things, organizations, or certain people.

While Killing Roy probably isn't an interest of Belkar's, he has been known to injure him on occasion:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0085.html

so he might watch Roy getting injured for a bit, before coming to his aid with a "you owe me".

Omergideon
2010-08-05, 08:03 AM
Well well well, they seem to be being cranked out at a furious pace recently. not that I mind of course. But about the comic itself....once again mixed feelings. It was good, entertaining, logical andsensible in every way. An example of good solid plotting and certainly decent characterisation. However I feel let down by the ending of the strip in a way that slightly undermines the good work leading up to it. It's kind of prescient in that I had the exact same issue with the film I watched last night (Inception). But on to specifics.

The Good:
1) There was a good pace to the strip, better than many in fact. Everything within the comic moved at a decent speed and no panel felt wasted. They all contributed something significant to the overall story which is nice in the limited space of the comic. At times a decompressed style can work, but mostly in action scenes, and without them this method is better. Also to note, whilst the pace was breezy it never felt rushed.
2) Belkar. It's rare that I say or think this but Belkar was the real highlight of the strip for me. It was a simple gag running through the strip but it was kept in the background of the plot (as should be the case for running jokes) and genuinely amusing. It certainly is a better use of the evil teammate joke than random acts of violence. Plus, since I train in martial arts and get easily stressed, I sometimes find myself doing similar internal monologues to Belkar hear. It's a very true to life response and reveals something about his worldview, that it is so ingrained into him that anything becomes a potential weapon.
3) The rest of the humour in the strip was very funny as well. The little jokes are often the best and in this case the little jokes like Scruffy/Blackwing fighting, the signs for the games or small funny aspects to the dialogue were very funny. And a funny strip, whilst not unusual in this comic, is always good.
4) As always, whenever the order acts in a unified or competent manner I am happier. When they screw up can be funnier but in general I prefer competent heroes. Just a personal preference.

The Bad:
1) Only one thing here, but for me it was a doozy. The ending. Now it is not a bad ending especially, and it certainly makes sense in the long run. For me the real downside is that I guessed that plot development from the moment of the sentencing. It is possibly a classic plot line but it felt so predictable to be that I can't really get behind it. As with all plot related gripes I have though it is only tentative. The situation in later strips may make the predictable excursion completely worthwhile. A good outcome, funny situations, or a unique playing of the story in the arena fights is entirely possible and if so the comics become less problematic. Read as they are published though this is an issue.

Overall this is another 3 star strip for me. Certainly good and enjoyable but not special. The letdown of the predictable punchline joke/twist/"probably not meant as a twist" is minor enough and potentially could lead to something good. However in the absence of great character moments or truly awesome jokes and action what we get is merely an average OoTS strip.

Umbra
2010-08-05, 08:03 AM
Scheduling Conflict ...

... oh, I just got it. The act of figuring out when to hold the conflict!!!

Good pun!!!

It's a double pun; it could also be a conflict of schedules, as in Roy's schedule conflicting with Tarquin's.

snikrept
2010-08-05, 08:13 AM
..Roy neglected to inform them that he's been CONVICTED already and made into a GLADIATOR?

oof.

sihnfahl
2010-08-05, 09:50 AM
..Roy neglected to inform them that he's been CONVICTED already and made into a GLADIATOR?
oof.
In his mind, it didn't matter. He thought he'd be doing nothing but 'training' to be a gladiator until the weekend. That's when Tarquin would give up the info, and then they'd make their break for it.

He was missing important information: that there would be 'special' fights.

137beth
2010-08-05, 10:27 AM

oof.
Even aside from what sihnfahl said, he wouldn't have enough words, or rather, it would have bit quite a bit harder for him to get all the information through.

sihnfahl
2010-08-05, 12:00 PM
Even aside from what sihnfahl said, he wouldn't have enough words, or rather, it would have bit quite a bit harder for him to get all the information through.
Jailbreak. Low profile night escape. Elan and Haley distract Tarquin. Avoid being seen. Discuss plan then.

Trasilor
2010-08-05, 12:15 PM
What I don't understand is why Elan did not say "Dun, dun, duhhhh" at the end of the strip. I mean if you are going to have cheesy predictable plots, might as well keep the running jokes. :smallconfused:

Also, on a side not, l love Belkar's reference to "airing out the boys" :belkar:

Acero
2010-08-05, 12:19 PM
Lawful Evil empire...what bet that thereare several very tempting ways to sneak into 'watch' the games, that are all set up so you find yourself dropped into the arena?

Then you obviously don't know the right ways.

sihnfahl
2010-08-05, 12:24 PM
Then you obviously don't know the right ways.
You mean the left ways. In an oppressive LE society, nobody save the people in power have any rights.

hamishspence
2010-08-05, 12:27 PM
There are neither right ways nor left ways. For the LE ruler:

"All ways around here are MY ways!" :smallbiggrin:

sihnfahl
2010-08-05, 12:32 PM
"All ways around here are MY ways!" :smallbiggrin:
It's my way or the highway.

:elan: ... what's a highway?

The Succubus
2010-08-05, 05:48 PM
:roy: "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!"

:elan: "No! We were expecting clown-jugglers!"

dsavereide
2010-08-05, 06:51 PM
My guess is, the moment Elan sees Roy in the arenea he'll crack and their relationship will no longer be a secret. So they can still be pardonned.

I don't think Roy and Belkar can fight each other until all the normal gladitors are dead. The poster implies these games are meant to be a prisoner slaughter fest.

Acero
2010-08-05, 06:58 PM
I would actually be okay with an Episode-2 Stadium fight.

Tobimaro
2010-08-05, 07:05 PM
I really do not see what Roy is doing as dumb. Short-sighted maybe, but not dumb.

He is going by his alignment in that he is willing to work within the system to get his goals accomplished. And needlessly treading on the local laws would be counter-productive. He just did not expect to have his plans trashed by the local authorities.

And Belkar has never heard of "Too Much Information". :smallbiggrin:

JonestheSpy
2010-08-05, 07:23 PM
And Belkar has never heard of "Too Much Information". :smallbiggrin:

Are you kidding? Belkar's the one who's eye-level with everyone else's loincloth. He know's exactly what TMI means...

BadAndyMk3
2010-08-05, 07:40 PM
I think Roy's plan is good. He's not going to risk losing a good lead on Girard to avoid a few more days of captivity. Were they supposed to break out, flee the city, and go back to wandering in the desert?

sockmonkey
2010-08-05, 08:10 PM
The issue of the early fight was moot as soon as they were taken to the arena. Belkar would have started trouble by the time the early matches started anyhow. We can't fault Roy for being unaware of them but we could argue that he should have realized problems would start by then.

Querzis
2010-08-05, 08:32 PM
The issue of the early fight was moot as soon as they were taken to the arena. Belkar would have started trouble by the time the early matches started anyhow. We can't fault Roy for being unaware of them but we could argue that he should have realized problems would start by then.

Even if he realized that, they dont have any problem bigger then the fact that they dont know where Girard or the gate is but Xykon does. As far as they know, Xykon is already at the gate. This is their first lead on Girard and their only other option is to start wandering the desert again until Xykon unleash the apocalypse. Until Tarquin says what he knows on Girard, the Order must do absolutely nothing that could piss him off.

sockmonkey
2010-08-05, 09:58 PM
I'm not saying they should have escaped, since it's clearly not practical but Belkar is perfectly capable and prone to doing things that would piss Tarquin off just as much if he gets bored. They need to do something to keep him out of trouble, or rather they would if trouble wasn't already on the way sooner than expected.

Morgan Wick
2010-08-06, 01:41 AM
And Roy's Genre Savviness fails him once again. To be fair, Sending constraints meant V didn't say anything about what a cunning, bloodthirsty, Magnificent Bastard Elan's father is.

Incidentially, in the same vein as #739's "Macebook" joke,
I've been waiting for longer than that for Rich to make a Sending/Twitter joke.
There is no Star Trek reference. What there is, is a reference to the Roman Empire.

The title of the Star Trek episode is also a reference to the Roman Empire.

(Deja vu: "Good is Dumb" is not a reference to TVTropes. "Good is Dumb" is a reference to Spaceballs, when it appears in OotS and when it appears on TVTropes.)

Funny you should mention TV Tropes... (tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BreadAndCircuses)

Who wants to bet the faster update schedule is to get past the stuff everyone could guess from a mile away?

Locnil
2010-08-06, 01:55 AM
Funny you should mention TV Tropes... (tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BreadAndCircuses)

I can't believe it. I was just checking out that page a while ago and when I went there just now the picture had already changed.:smalleek:

snikrept
2010-08-06, 05:27 AM
"Belkar and I convicted, sentenced gladiator pits. However, Girard information too important. Don't rock boat, be good guests. Get all information from general, then jailbreak."

Piece of cake.

BadAndyMk3
2010-08-06, 09:34 AM
Roy proabaly assumed that if Haley knew they were in jail and was contimplating a jailbreak, she knew where they were.

I liek the way the strip has been going so far, with Durkon's Lawful alignment rearing it's head, in an un-foolish way.

SinsI
2010-08-06, 04:35 PM
I liek the way the strip has been going so far, with Durkon's Lawful alignment rearing it's head, in an un-foolish way.

His "Lawful" alignment seems to be pretty hypocritical - not only is he guilty of the EXACTLY THE SAME crime, he is actually the main perpetuator!

DreadArchon
2010-08-06, 06:49 PM
His "Lawful" alignment seems to be pretty hypocritical - not only is he guilty of the EXACTLY THE SAME crime, he is actually the main perpetuator!
So what? He didn't do it on purpose, and he immediately took steps to correct it.

factotum
2010-08-07, 01:31 AM

Really? When did Durkon get involved in that bar brawl, then? I must have missed it.

HandofShadows
2010-08-07, 07:19 AM
Really? When did Durkon get involved in that bar brawl, then? I must have missed it.

Roy and Belkar didn't get tossed in jail because of the bar fight. The Bounty Hunters where since they started the fight. Roy and Belkar got tossed in jail since they didn't have entry papers for the city.

factotum
2010-08-07, 09:31 AM
Roy and Belkar didn't get tossed in jail because of the bar fight. The Bounty Hunters where since they started the fight. Roy and Belkar got tossed in jail since they didn't have entry papers for the city.

The bounty hunters got thrown in exactly the same place just for the bar-room brawl, though, so even if Roy and Belkar had had papers they would have ended up in the same place.

Kish
2010-08-07, 09:34 AM
The bounty hunters got thrown in exactly the same place just for the bar-room brawl, though, so even if Roy and Belkar had had papers they would have ended up in the same place.
No, everyone except the bounty hunters and the two without papers were allowed to go, remember?

"Whose fault is this? You go to the courthouse. Everyone else involved shows papers and leaves."

RndmNumGen
2010-08-07, 09:49 AM

That's not what Lawful means, unless maybe you're Lawful Stupid. Being Lawful generally implies honor, responsibility, and having some sort of code you base your actions on; when Durkon found out he needed papers, he did the responsible thing and went to go get them. However, it would be very irresponsible to break someone out of jail, thus getting them in more trouble with the law.

Take for example, a normally Lawful person who is driving his wife to the hospital. Suddenly, he realizes he is going over the speed limit. Does he slow down to go within the speed limit? Maybe. Does he turn around to drive to the police station and turn himself in while his wife is having an emergency? Hell no. Does he instead drive to prison and bust out two of his friends who were arrested for reckless driving? Definitely not.

TheBlackShadow
2010-08-07, 11:06 AM
I come home from my holiday in the Med and find not one, not two, but three new strips waiting for me? Thank you Mr. Giant!

SinsI
2010-08-08, 06:24 PM
That's not what Lawful means, unless maybe you're Lawful Stupid. Being Lawful generally implies honor, responsibility, and having some sort of code you base your actions on;
Is he acting honorable this time? Evading the punishment himself and saying "they deserved it!" gives us a big NO for an answer.

Shale
2010-08-08, 06:46 PM
There's a difference between not turning yourself in for an inadvertent crime and deciding to violently break someone out of prison for the same crime.

Agi Hammerthief
2010-08-08, 08:58 PM
Is he acting honorable this time? Evading the punishment himself and saying "they deserved it!" gives us a big NO for an answer.

he didn't say "they deserved it!",
he said "the law got Roy an' Belkar fair an' square" which is more on the lines of "the law deserves them for having cought them in the act"

RndmNumGen
2010-08-08, 09:14 PM

Except he isn't saying "They deserved it!". Rather, he's saying "We've broken enough laws here, and I refuse to break any more". He is perfectly open to legal ways to get them out of prison, such as co-operating with the justice system or asking Tarquin to release them.

Marnath
2010-08-08, 11:06 PM
*Is beating a dead horse*
*whomp* *whomp* "he's being honorable!" *whomp* *whomp* *whomp* "nuh uh!" *whomp* *whomp*
/beating the dead horse

Fingolfin
2010-08-09, 01:28 AM
Panem et circensus :smallsmile:

C-Lam
2010-08-09, 04:55 AM

His not guilty for the same crime, since he got his papers here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0732.html)

hamishspence
2010-08-09, 04:57 AM
True- but until he left and got his papers, he was guilty.

Once he came back in- he was still guilty of having committed that crime in the past, but no longer guilty in the present of "being in the city without papers."

suszterpatt
2010-08-09, 05:07 AM
True- but until he left and got his papers, he was guilty.

Once he came back in- he was still guilty of having committed that crime in the past, but no longer guilty in the present of "being in the city without papers."Except the charge (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0734.html) isn't "being in the city without papers", it's "failure to produce ID". Durkon isn't guilty of that, since he was never asked to produce ID in the first place.

hamishspence
2010-08-09, 05:10 AM
"Your friends got arrested for not having entry papers"

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0732.html

so- arguably, being in the city at all without entry papers, is the crime, and failure to produce ID, is the evidence that the crime has been committed.

While Roy & Belkar are the only ones guilty of "failure to produce ID" they are all guilty of illegal immigration.

BadAndyMk3
2010-08-09, 10:24 AM
They were formally accused of "Failure to produce ID". The Innkeeper told Durkon that they were arrested for not having entry papers, which is true. The innkeeper then told Durkon that he should make sure to have his papers in order before he went looking for them, which he subsequently did. Plus, Durkon is also trying to obey the law of the place they are in before resorting to breaking it.

Gift Jeraff
2010-08-09, 04:16 PM
Honestly, I'm just eager to see what happens when Roy meets Tarquin.
The comic will end when Roy is in the same room as Elan, Nale, and Tarquin.

MDR
2010-08-09, 05:34 PM
Being a Gladiator should appeal very much to Belkar. Being able to kill all he wants, and have people cheer him on while he does it? And if it reflects Rome closely, if he wins a lot he gets respect, women, foods, etc. He should be wondering why he did try for the job before!

On another note, was it ever resolved whether or not this is the land where Haley's father is being held prisoner? My memory is more than a bit foggy. If not, perhaps Roy and Belkar could be meeting him soon.

Kish
2010-08-09, 08:11 PM
On another note, was it ever resolved whether or not this is the land where Haley's father is being held prisoner?
No. Haley's father was being held prisoner by Lord Tyrinar the Bloody, dictator of Tyrinaria, which the mapmaker doesn't recognize the name of.

rewinn
2010-08-09, 08:22 PM
No. Haley's father was being held prisoner by Lord Tyrinar the Bloody, dictator of Tyrinaria, which the mapmaker doesn't recognize the name of.

Might Tyranaria have been a predecessor to the Empire of Blood?

Hmmm ... prolly not. If the EOB freed prisoners from the previous empire, Haley's dad would've tried to contact her. If EOB kept them, he'd have been gladiator fodder or Empress snacks long ago ....

... :elan: and that would contradict the Law of Plot Development !

... :durkon: les'n her da preceded us all inta tha next wurld, retuning to haint us witha cryptic message

...:xykon: not a chance baldy; we've already got the wizard Bluesword doing that.

Nimrod's Son
2010-08-09, 10:30 PM
Might Tyranaria have been a predecessor to the Empire of Blood?

Hmmm ... prolly not.
It's certainly possible. The cartographer got cut off before she finished her sentence, but she did mention a "new place" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0680.html) that Haley might try, and we know Tarquin conquered a nation two years ago (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html), and that the palace is still under construction...

Werbaer
2010-08-10, 04:22 AM
It's certainly possible. The cartographer got cut off before she finished her sentence, but she did mention a "new place" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0680.html) that Haley might try, and we know Tarquin conquered a nation two years ago (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html), and that the palace is still under construction...
New place? Most kingdoms don't last one year.
"Two years ago is ancient history around here."

Detrinex
2010-08-10, 09:11 PM
Do you think Nale will re-appear at this point, or possibly Ian Starshine at the banquet next to/near Girard?

I personally believe one of those people will pop up at a state dinner overlooking the mid-week games.

factotum
2010-08-11, 01:51 AM

Which is why the cartographer would maybe think that place worth trying, because it had shown itself to be slightly more resilient than the normal run-of-the-mill kingdom.

Nimrod's Son
2010-08-11, 02:31 AM
Which is why I mentioned the palace still being under construction, since it's never explicitly stated that the nation Tarquin's talking about is the same place they are now. It's possible, even likely, but we don't know. But the fact that the palace is still under construction might suggest this is still a fledgling nation, regardless of when it was last conquered.

Lecan
2010-08-11, 03:52 PM
Which is why the cartographer would maybe think that place worth trying, because it had shown itself to be slightly more resilient than the normal run-of-the-mill kingdom.

But she still wouldn't consider it 'new'.

Do you think Nale will re-appear at this point, or possibly Ian Starshine at the banquet next to/near Girard?

I personally believe one of those people will pop up at a state dinner overlooking the mid-week games.

Not Girard, at least not as we have seen him. Possibly in disguise.

As someone else stated, Ian cannot have access to any way of contacting Haley without major character change from the (admittedly little) characterization we have seen of him previously (raising Haley, 40% of his earnings to the poor, Good alignment).

Asthix
2010-08-13, 03:50 AM
I'm thinking now that the title 'Scheduling Conflict' is also a veiled reference to the inevitability of going from 3 comics per week to no comic per week. Serializing is hard!

Gift Jeraff
2010-08-13, 08:27 PM
Which is why I mentioned the palace still being under construction, since it's never explicitly stated that the nation Tarquin's talking about is the same place they are now. It's possible, even likely, but we don't know. But the fact that the palace is still under construction might suggest this is still a fledgling nation, regardless of when it was last conquered.
It's probable that most don't even get to build a new palace before they are conquered. Having lasted 2 years (I guess having a giant, hungry red dragon as the "ruler" helps), the Empire of Blood gets to build it wants.

sihnfahl
2010-08-14, 12:25 PM
(I guess having a giant, hungry red dragon as the "ruler" helps)
Yep, it's nice having the folks pay attention to the big ol' dragon while the good-level fighter and cleric team lead you to a TPK.

phantomreader42
2010-08-14, 01:30 PM
I'm very impressed with the update speed as of late.

I'm also very surprised how much information V could contain in a 25 word sending considering how much trouble Nale and Durkon had with them. I thought V was the one who typically rambled on, maybe the others wrote him/her a script.

Never mind, I reread the comic and it clearly states Haley wrote it. Nice touch Giant.

Did you notice that V's summation of Roy's message was longer than the message itself and longer than the Sending limit?

Marnath
2010-08-14, 05:05 PM
Did you notice that V's summation of Roy's message was longer than the message itself and longer than the Sending limit?

that's because he's not sending anymore, he's talking to people right next to him...... there's no limit on that.:smallconfused: And he is smart enough to read into what Roy said to get the point Roy was making.

Gift Jeraff
2010-08-14, 05:48 PM
that's because he's not sending anymore, he's talking to people right next to him...... there's no limit on that.:smallconfused: And he is smart enough to read into what Roy said to get the point Roy was making.
He's not saying there's a limit. He's just saying V's summary (which are typically shorter than what they are summarizing*) of what Roy said was a few words longer than what Roy actually said.

*Though in this case it would make sense for it to be longer (well, it's more of a restatement than a summary); they are discussing important plans, not writing a book report.

phantomreader42
2010-08-14, 09:02 PM

I was more pointing out how it illustrates V's verbose nature, and why it's not a good idea to have V come up with the message for the Sending.

TheNerdMiester
2010-08-14, 09:38 PM
why didn't Roy not want them to break him and Belkar out of 'jail'? Why did Haley say 'I'd rather avoid telling Tarquin about us than is 100% necessary?', she doesn't trust Elan and his father?

Gift Jeraff
2010-08-14, 10:08 PM
why didn't Roy not want them to break him and Belkar out of 'jail'? Why did Haley say 'I'd rather avoid telling Tarquin about us than is 100% necessary?', she doesn't trust Elan and his father?
Breaking Roy and Belkar out of jail before they get information from Tarquin can mess up their attempt to get information from Tarquin.

And she trusts Elan. And she definitely does not trust Tarquin because he is the head general of a Lawful Evil empire and the man who raised her boyfriend's archnemesis, and is quite obviously hiding something. Not to mention she can barely open up with her own teammates. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0681.html)

Rules Lawyer #1
2010-08-18, 08:25 PM

Technically, Roy accidentally used a 26th word while replying: "Hmmm..."
It constituted a distinct separate utterance encapsulated within it's own bubble.:smallamused:
Argueably, Roy wasn't replying to V when he uttered this monosyllable, although it seems clear that the utterance was in direct response to the sending he had just received (rather than a response to someone/something else). Moreover, the characters have been caught in the past when accidentally responding to a sending.:smallsmile:
Argueably, "Hmmm..." is not a word... but if "Hmmm..." is not a word then "Hmmm..." cannot be sent via a sending. If a person Hmmm's in a sending, does the sender hear it?:smallbiggrin:

Ergo, the GM either allowed "Hmmm..." as a free word or V did not hear the final word of Roy's response (i.e. "then"). Since "We'll survive until" suffices in place of "We'll survive until then". The communication was not harmed by Roy's premature outburst.:smallcool:

By the way, you raise a good point. I mean there are plenty of words that are the composition of two words (e.g. "some body" vs. "somebody") and people create new words all the time. So, in theory, a person merely needs to create a new word that has the meaning of the entire message he wishes to convey by concatenating all the words of the sentences he would have spoken!:smalleek:
I put forth that this would violate the parameters of a sending spell as adjudicated by unseen rules lawyers.:smallamused:
I speculate that these lawyers have a Mighty Tome of All Legal Wordings(also known as the world's largest dictionary) containing all words useable in sendings and that words not within that massive tome must therefore be untransmittable via sending.:smallsmile: