PDA

View Full Version : Lich name?

runescaper123
2010-08-04, 11:34 AM
Hey everyone, i want to know how many people think Xykon is going to die because someone finds out his name.:xykon:

fwiffo
2010-08-04, 11:38 AM
The chances of that on this forum are very small, what with the constant messages about Xycon, Xylon, Xyxlon, etc.

Ancalagon
2010-08-04, 11:56 AM
Hey everyone, i want to know how many people think Xykon is going to die because someone finds out his name.:xykon:

Hum? Because people find out some Lich is named "Xykon" or his real name he had before taking that?

In the first case I do not get the question (why should he die, again? And... isn't he already dead?) and in the second... his old name will never pop up again. It's past (and, according to soon-to-be-Xykon, it was lame anyway).

Gray Mage
2010-08-04, 11:59 AM

Maybe you're thinking about his phylactery?

TriForce
2010-08-04, 12:07 PM
i think hes talking about "true name" magic, im a little fuzzy on the details, but if i remember correctly its something from a obscure overpowered 2nd edition rulebook, meaning that as soon as you know someones "true name" whatever that might mean, youd have total control/can kill him instantly

Noble Savant
2010-08-04, 12:14 PM
Sadly, Truenaming has been brought into 3rd edition, which is what OotS is set in. And it's... Not quite as potent if you catch my drift.

Skorj
2010-08-04, 12:16 PM
Sadly, Truenaming has been brought into 3rd edition, which is what OotS is set in. And it's... Not quite as potent if you catch my drift.

C'mon: Truenamers were added so that monks wouldn't feel so bad, and they're great in that role. :smallbiggrin:

Gray Mage
2010-08-04, 12:27 PM
Does the OotS world even has truenamers? I don't remember them being reference in any strip. :smallconfused:

Ancalagon
2010-08-04, 12:34 PM
Maybe you're thinking about his phylactery?

Hum... his what?

Gray Mage
2010-08-04, 12:35 PM
Hum... his what?

His soul-hidey thing. The one that V and O-Chul lost. There are people that believe that when it's destroyed so will Xykon.

Skorj
2010-08-04, 12:36 PM
Hum... his what?

His soul hidey-place! :smallamused:

EDIT: soul-hidey ninja'd!

Mystic Muse
2010-08-04, 01:36 PM
His soul-hidey thing. The one that V and O-Chul lost. There are people that believe that when it's destroyed so will Xykon.

It doesn't work like that in the normal rules. You have to destroy both the Lich and the phylactery.

Rich can of course change that in this comic but that's the way it works according to the standard rules.

Gray Mage
2010-08-04, 01:39 PM
It doesn't work like that in the normal rules. You have to destroy both the Lich and the phylactery.

Rich can of course change that in this comic but that's the way it works according to the standard rules.

Yes, I know that, but I belive that a couple of years ago there was a discussion about this. I could be wrong tho.

Nimrod's Son
2010-08-04, 01:49 PM

And Xykon himself agrees in SoD, when Redcloak threatens to do just that. Redcloak doesn't correct him, so it certainly looks like Xykon successfully called his bluff.

Giggling Ghast
2010-08-04, 01:58 PM
Doesn't being a named character decrease (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0472.html) the probability of Xykon's death?

Unless you're under some weird misconception that Xykon is actually Rumpelstiltskin.

DukeGod
2010-08-04, 03:37 PM

Unles its another Sorcerer who has "Unname"

ClockShock
2010-08-04, 04:39 PM
Xykon has no body (being a skeleton and all). Logically his old name was Nyko.

Raistlin1040
2010-08-04, 04:42 PM
That is a bad joke and you should feel bad.

Giggling Ghast
2010-08-04, 04:43 PM

Or perhaps it was "Nico"?

NICO, MY COUSIN! WELCOME TO AMERICA! WANT TO GO BOWLING?

Anyways, I'm not entirely certain what the hell the OP's point is supposed to be. Everyone knows Xykon's name. They've referred to him by name. How is this supposed to "doom" him?

Thanatosia
2010-08-04, 04:48 PM
Anyways, I'm not entirely certain what the hell the OP's point is supposed to be. Everyone knows Xykon's name. They've referred to him by name. How is this supposed to "doom" him?
I'm not sure how it is supposed to "doom" him either if it is ever found out, but if you have ever read Start of Darkness you'll learn that Xykon is not his real name. No one knows the real name of either Xykon or Redcloak, both are names chosen by Xykon because it sounds cool / is easy to remember. Of course, you could argue that a name given to oneself is more a 'real name' then the name given to you by your parents in any case, not sure where DnD truename rules fall on that argument.

Querzis
2010-08-04, 04:52 PM

Yeah but thats not his real name. Nobody know Xykon real name (nobody alive anyway). But its an old mythology trick, in many myth you can defeat demons, devils and old evil by saying their real name. But Xykon isnt a demon so who cares.

Giggling Ghast
2010-08-04, 05:13 PM
I'm not sure how it is supposed to "doom" him either if it is ever found out, but if you have ever read Start of Darkness you'll learn that Xykon is not his real name.

I'm aware of that. But the only people who would remember Xykon's former name are long since dead, either by old age or from Xykon murdering the hell out of them.

Yeah but thats not his real name

It's the name he's gone by for over a century. I think whatever he used to be called is a moot point by now.

In any case, Xykon has no weaknesses attached to his name, as you point out. The OP's question still doesn't make any sense.

BatRobin
2010-08-04, 05:21 PM
Or perhaps it was "Nico"?

NICO, MY COUSIN! WELCOME TO AMERICA! WANT TO GO BOWLING?

Nope, you don't get it.

Giggling Ghast
2010-08-04, 05:23 PM
Nope, you don't get it.

I don't see how my love life is relevant to this discussion.

Nerd-o-rama
2010-08-04, 05:25 PM

Or perhaps

Kyon

*waits to see how long this takes to pop up on TVTropes*

Dubious Pie
2010-08-04, 10:56 PM
It is because of the constant misspellings of Xykon.

Ancalagon
2010-08-05, 02:55 AM
I still did not get the question in the first post.

Was ist about those truenames? About the phylactery? About Xykon's old name before he left home? About something else?

Morquard
2010-08-05, 03:47 AM
Xykon's birth-name and his truename in the sense of truename magic aren't even the same, so knowing the first wouldn't help.

But while we're on the topic of stupid speculations already: As you said all that know his name are dead. So maybe that's Roy's Archon's secret mission. Find Xykons parents and learn it!

Of course it could be a completely funny and ridicilous name, and they use it to make fun of Xykon and he crawls into a corner to cry. On the other hand that is really unlikely too :)

LuPuWei
2010-08-05, 04:04 AM
Of course it could be a completely funny and ridicilous name, and they use it to make fun of Xykon and he crawls into a corner to cry. On the other hand that is really unlikely too :)

Yeah, Xykon's as formidable a snarker as he is a lich...

Shpadoinkle
2010-08-05, 04:05 AM
Um... my guess would be that approximately zero people think that, because it's completely nonsensical.

Larkspur
2010-08-05, 09:07 AM
Maybe it's 'Xykon'. He seems like the kind of guy arrogant enough to run around using his truename as a usename, especially in a world where there's no evidence naming magic works.

Granted he picked it randomly, but he's a sorcerer. He probably has an instinctive sense for Naming. When you think about it, the way he psychs people is the mundane equivalent.

runescaper123
2010-08-05, 09:36 AM
[QUOTE=Querzis;9078100]Yeah but thats not his real name. Nobody know Xykon real name (nobody alive anyway). But its an old mythology trick, in many myth you can defeat demons, devils and old evil by saying their real name. But Xykon isnt a demon so who cares.

megabyter5
2010-08-05, 11:47 AM
If you think the part in SoD where he picks his name will have anything to do with how he's defeated, you might as well say he gets defeated by someone named Xorcor. Nah, nobody badass would have that name. Sounds too much like a prescription drug.

Nimrod's Son
2010-08-05, 11:51 AM
Nah, nobody badass would have that name. Sounds too much like a prescription drug.
Maybe it is a prescription drug, and he accidentally overdoses or gets an allergic reaction or something. :smallwink:

DemLep
2010-08-07, 12:01 AM
Maybe it's Xylarthen.

And no I didn't come up with that at random. If you know where I got it from your awesome!

Super_slash2
2010-08-16, 06:29 AM
It would be interesting if they just found out Xykon's real name to track his life and see what clues there are to his behaviour and possible objects for his phylactery. Xykon is to us and even moreso to the party, a mystery. We never really see or hear anything about him before his killing spree of evil and that anonymity can be a powerful defense, it means there's little you can say taunt threaten bribe or otherwise use against him. Not that such a thing might exist but you cannot know that, you know virtually nothing about your villain to use against him

Like his hatred of wizards could be one, his hatred of being talked down to, his lost senses of taste, touch and so on.

It doesn't need to make him turn good, it just needs to have an exploitable effect on him and knowing something about his past can help there.

Poppy Appletree
2010-08-16, 06:49 AM
Maybe it is a prescription drug, and he accidentally overdoses or gets an allergic reaction or something. :smallwink:

I think his true name is...

Xycodin. :smallbiggrin:

Goosefarble
2010-08-16, 04:17 PM
Doesn't being a named character decrease (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0472.html) the probability of Xykon's death?

Unless you're under some weird misconception that Xykon is actually Rumpelstiltskin.

Well played. As for my input into the conversation, I can't really have one given that I'm not a D&D man so this whole thang has just gone over my head. Is Truenaming a way of destroying liches?

Maximum Zersk
2010-08-16, 04:22 PM
Or perhaps

Kyon

*waits to see how long this takes to pop up on TVTropes*

By god...

Imagine how much havoc he could wreak if the Kyonism theory was true! O.O