PDA

View Full Version : Portable Holes, Ring Gates and spells...

jseah
2010-08-04, 12:37 PM
Yes, this again. I love Portable Holes and Ring Gates.

Basically, I asked a seemingly simple question:
I cast Energy Transformation Field while inside a closed Portable Hole. What happens?

I think I get a portable Energy Transformation Field. Which is a bit freaky to think about. (Imagine the stupidity that you can unleash. I... dunno how to describe that level of cheesiness. Somehow that feels worse than Pun-Pun even though it obviously isn't. *kicks my DM radar* *mutters about faulty hardware*)
- A side question is if you could wrap a portable hole (backed with paper say) around a normally immobile spell effect and just "take it with you". Puts a whole new meaning to "everything that's not nailed down".

This lead me to ask about casting a Wall of Force that sticks out of a Portable Hole. And then picking up the hole.

Which of course, leads me to casting the Wall of Force to extend through an active Ring Gate. And then moving/turning it off. Which I think I asked before but can't quite remember when...

EDIT: here's a different qn:
I'm sitting inside my open portable hole. I cast AMF.

AMF leaks out, turns off the hole (and the interface closes).
This means it stops leaking out (no LoE), and the hole reopens...

Marnath
2010-08-04, 09:27 PM
I have no idea what an energy transformation field is, but i would rule the wall of force either gets sheared in half by the obscene force of the portal closing, or it blows up and you die. In either case, trying nonsense like that is likely to earn you a DMG to the head :smallamused:

fryplink
2010-08-04, 09:39 PM
My brain just leaked out my left ear....

If I were DM I'd rule (to be sadistic as you were OBVIOUSLY asking for it) that the portable hole would be immobile for the duration of the effect, since the effects cant be moved, they are anchoring your portable hole/bag of holding in place. If it was a wall of force it would probably seal the exit, I'd hope I had a bottle of breathing in my inventory...

jseah
2010-08-04, 11:11 PM
^Marnath:
Unstoppable force meets immovable object hmm?

It isn't really nonsense. I could easily see a college of wizards trying to work out what would happen and making use of the results. For Science!

^fryplink:
In the case of the ETF, the immobile effect was cast while the hole is closed. It isn't actually moving.
And when I pack up the portable hole, it isn't actually moving the inside. The inside... just stops being part of the universe.

BobVosh
2010-08-04, 11:23 PM
I would say the wall of force can't be cast half in and half out of a portable hole since the PH is an extradimensional space. That said if you stick the hole on the top then try to move the hole it won't move since you can get the whole wall into the hole.

jseah
2010-08-05, 12:04 AM
Bobvosh:
Line of effect works as normal across the interface of a portable hole.

It's not like I'm casting it half in and half out of a closed bag of holding or something.

Besides it is easy to cast a wall of force that is less than 6ft across and more than 12ft long. Meaning I can wrap the portable hole around 12ft of one end... and then shut it.

^fryplink:
Even if I can't pick up the hole, what happens if I turn it off? With a dispel magic or AMF.

Here's a different qn:
I'm sitting inside my open portable hole. I cast AMF.

AMF leaks out, turns off the hole (and the interface closes).
This means it stops leaking out (no LoE), and the hole reopens...