PDA

View Full Version : False Theurgy: FREE STILL/SILENT?!?!? [3.5]

Flame of Anor
2010-08-04, 03:19 PM
OK, so in Complete Scoundrel there are these "Skill Tricks", which are like feats, but you buy them with skill points and they're not as good. USUALLY. Anyway, there's "False Theurgy", which requires 8 ranks in Spellcraft and 8 ranks in Bluff or Sleight of Hand (but you'd have 8 ranks in Spellcraft anyway), and allows you to "as a swift action...adjust the spell's verbal and somatic components to mimic those of another spell of your choice of the same level". So pick a spell with no verbal or no somatic component--bingo, still or silent spell with no feat!

Gametime
2010-08-04, 03:21 PM
That's questionable. Spells with no verbal or somatic component don't have "silent" verbal components or "still" somatic components, they just lack the components altogether. It's not at all clear whether or not you can mimic a component that doesn't exist.

1/encounter stilled, silent spells would be pretty nice, though, if it works.

Jair Barik
2010-08-04, 03:24 PM
No
Those spells simply don't have somatic/verbal components. It isn't a case of their verbal component is being very quiet or that their somatic component is standing still, they simply don't have those components. As such you cannot swap them out. The idea is that you can trick other wizards who might use spellcraft to try and identify what spell you are casting.

Example- Enemy readies to attempt to counterspell you. You cast magic missile with fireballs somatic/verbal components. They succeed at their spellcraft and attempt to use fireball to counter your spell. This attempt fails and they lose their fireball.

Demons_eye
2010-08-04, 03:31 PM
I would let it work.

Keld Denar
2010-08-04, 03:33 PM
I can think of a lot of spells that don't have somatic components (the ENTIRE teleport subschool minus Teleportation Circle), but I can't think of a SINGLE spell that doesn't have verbal components other than MM Silenced spells, which shouldn't count.

Flame of Anor
2010-08-04, 03:34 PM
No
Those spells simply don't have somatic/verbal components. It isn't a case of their verbal component is being very quiet or that their somatic component is standing still, they simply don't have those components. As such you cannot swap them out. The idea is that you can trick other wizards who might use spellcraft to try and identify what spell you are casting.

Example- Enemy readies to attempt to counterspell you. You cast magic missile with fireballs somatic/verbal components. They succeed at their spellcraft and attempt to use fireball to counter your spell. This attempt fails and they lose their fireball.

I know what it's SUPPOSED to do. But, anyway, say you try to disguise magic missile or something (it has somatic components, right?) as a true strike (no somatic components). Unless there aren't any somatic components, your enemy will know something's amiss!

I can think of a lot of spells that don't have somatic components (the ENTIRE teleport subschool minus Teleportation Circle), but I can't think of a SINGLE spell that doesn't have verbal components other than MM Silenced spells, which shouldn't count.

I know there are some.

Andion Isurand
2010-08-04, 03:45 PM
I often wear a half mask to cover my face below the bridge of the nose, in order to conceal and dampen my verbal components from being observerd by others.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/1161/0halfmask.jpg

2010-08-04, 04:48 PM
You know, there's also Conceal Spellcasting from the same book. Since it's based on Sleight of Hand I imagine it's supposed to be used in situations where an enemy can already see you, but as written it just makes it impossible for people to tell that you are casting a spell. Take that as you will.

Glimbur
2010-08-04, 05:36 PM

Joyful Noise(SpC), which is especially weird since it's a bard spell and bards are specifically banned from using Silent Spell. On the other hand, a spell to suppress Silence would be pretty terrible if it had a V component.

Greenish
2010-08-04, 05:44 PM
I can't think of a SINGLE spell that doesn't have verbal components other than MM Silenced spells, which shouldn't count.Silent Portal.