PDA

View Full Version : Campaign-Specific Monster Flavor/Arrays

RickGriffin
2010-08-04, 05:44 PM
I am sure that most people as least know where I'm coming from with this: having the whole gamut of the Monster Manual to play with definitely makes a varied campaign, but in terms of the setting's feel and flavor, it just might make it feel like a hodgepodge. Like the DCU. And then you have settings like Eberron, where they justify having most things in the Monster Manual, but all it really amounts to it a minor fluff-shift.

Even if you do things like not-include dinosaurs on a given campaign, who has limited their campaign to only a specific array of monsters, or do major fluff shifts more than Eberron would dare to?

Core races only? Human only? No core races at all? Dragons as only monsters? Humanoids as only monsters? Animals as only monsters? Outsiders as only monsters? Lycanthropes as only monsters? Undead as only monsters?

Or, if you just select a personal array of specific monsters, what did you do to flavor it for the campaign?

Darkxarth
2010-08-04, 08:28 PM
I am sure that most people as least know where I'm coming from with this: having the whole gamut of the Monster Manual to play with definitely makes a varied campaign, but in terms of the setting's feel and flavor, it just might make it feel like a hodgepodge. Like the DCU. And then you have settings like Eberron, where they justify having most things in the Monster Manual, but all it really amounts to it a minor fluff-shift.

Even if you do things like not-include dinosaurs on a given campaign, who has limited their campaign to only a specific array of monsters, or do major fluff shifts more than Eberron would dare to?

Core races only? Human only? No core races at all? Dragons as only monsters? Humanoids as only monsters? Animals as only monsters? Outsiders as only monsters? Lycanthropes as only monsters? Undead as only monsters?

Or, if you just select a personal array of specific monsters, what did you do to flavor it for the campaign?

The current campaign setting that I am building (using an E6 variant) is using the following races:

Core Races

Elves: Tolkienesque Elves. I know lots of people are not fans of that mindset, but in an E6 setting, LA is balanced by point buy.
Dwarves: Tough, ancestor-worshiping survivors of a fallen empire.
Gnomes: They live in trees and talk to animals, no Fey connection or trickster aspect. No steampunk or alchemy stuff either.
Halflings: Hobbits, basically.
Orcs: They live in the most extreme climates and are old enemies of humans. Now, though, they follow their shamans and the spirits of the land and have no qualms with Humans.
Humans: They have most of the cities and nations of the world. Standard stats thus far, but I haven't actually worked on them yet.
Half-Elves & Half-Orcs: I have not made a final decision yet, but these are unlikely to be playable races, given the fluff on Elves and between Humans and Orcs.

Non-Playable Races

Goblins (& Hobgoblins & Bugbears): These creatures are the enemies of all of the above "civilized" races. They live mostly underground, but often venture out in raiding parties and small armies to clash against the surface races.
Giants: These creatures live far to the north, but individual giants have been known to wander south on their own. The last giant invasion destroyed the great empire of the Dwarves.
Trolls (Includes Ogres): These cave-dwelling brutes often work alongside Goblins, but occasionally stumble to the surface on their own.
Lizardfolk and Kobolds: They are unlikely to actually make an appearance, since they live in a far off land (from whence Humans, Orcs, and Halflings originated).
Gnolls, Troglodytes, Centaurs: Gone. They do not exist.

Monsters

Dragons: I am currently undecided on how these creatures will fit into my game. I am considering unique dragons (e.g. 10 using the standard D&D true dragons). At the very least, there won't be very many.
Celestials and Fiends: They will be in the world, but won't be making frequent appearances.
Chimeras, Manticores, & Wyverns: These are very powerful monsters that are largely uncontrolled and unorganized. They will not be unique, but they won't appear that often, given their power in an E6 game.
Skeletons, Zombies, Wights, etc.: The lesser undead will likely be present, but quite uncommon.
Liches, Vampires, Mummies, etc.: The more powerful undead are likely to be unique.
Lycanthropes: I am undecided on these, but I am probably going to avoid them.
Dire Animals: These are common threats in the setting.
Dinosaurs: These live in the faraway land with the Kobolds and Lizardfolk.
Oozes: Uncommon monsters, but some will probably be included.

Anything I did not specifically mention is likely to be either a unique monster or not included in my campaign setting.