PDA

View Full Version : What tier is Oriental Adventures Shaman?

Zaydos
2010-08-04, 08:28 PM
This is just idle curiosity, but I've tried to find it online before and my google-fu fails me so all I find is WoW or Spirit Shaman. I'm guessing tier 2; they have a more limited list than cleric and worse combat skills, but they are still full casters and they get a druid's animal companion (but not the buff spells to go along with it). So I decided I'd ask the playground their opinion because I know I'm not the best judge of this.

JaronK
2010-08-04, 08:32 PM
Tier 6. It has no familiar, and that's the only true source of power.

Okay seriously though at least I've never used it, but it's going to be T2 or 3 (all full casters that don't get a huge variety of spells are except the Warmage and Healer).

JaronK

arguskos
2010-08-04, 08:34 PM
Tier 6. It has no familiar, and that's the only true source of power.
And lolz ensued.

Okay seriously though at least I've never used it, but it's going to be T2 or 3 (all full casters that don't get a huge variety of spells are except the Warmage and Healer).
Yeah, looks about right. I'd call it Tier 3 to be safe, high 3 low 2. Sounds good.

Noodles2375
2010-08-04, 09:22 PM
I agree with arguskos.

It's still a full caster, and those are not to be trusted :smallbiggrin:

Lans
2010-08-04, 11:26 PM
It has a Druids animal companion and turning, so that opens up a degree of leet sauce.

Bonus feats, and a paladins Divine grace which is nifty.

Shape change, gate, animate dead, miracle, polymorph. Other than those its spell list doesn't seem too great.
Can be a persistant terror like a mid opted cleric.

Outside of the Polymorph/gate line I don't think it has anything game breaking.
In fact its spell list is pretty lack luster. But it can still do a persistent buff guy, with healing and a few SoDs. Doesn't seem to get Divine Favor or GMW, but has an animal companion to compensate.

All in all its a tier 3 cleric which is nice to have available.

Yora
2010-08-05, 04:33 AM
If the dm is okay with it, you could greatly expand the spell list. Which I really would recommend, as no single book outside OA has any spells listed as shaman spells, but about every book ever printed has cleric and druid spells.
And I'm pretty sure it is not because the writers of OA decided that the Shaman should never have any other spells added to its list, but just lack of support.
Depending on the spells, that would make the Shaman clear Tier 2, maybe even Tier 1.

Kaww
2010-08-05, 04:58 AM
If the dm is okay with it, you could greatly expand the spell list. Which I really would recommend, as no single book outside OA has any spells listed as shaman spells, but about every book ever printed has cleric and druid spells.
And I'm pretty sure it is not because the writers of OA decided that the Shaman should never have any other spells added to its list, but just lack of support.
Depending on the spells, that would make the Shaman clear Tier 2, maybe even Tier 1.

With enough homebrew you can do anything... I give it a strong 3.

jpreem
2010-08-05, 05:32 AM
With enough homebrew every class is tier 1 :D

boomwolf
2010-08-05, 07:19 AM
Unless its lightning warrior. then its tier 0.