PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Curious about updates to a build.

herrhauptmann
2010-08-04, 08:38 PM
I was wondering recently (dangerous habit :smallbiggrin: ) Has the Jack B Quick build (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869062/6_hits_to_1:_Jack_B._Quick?pg=1) been updated in the last few years?

I've tried cycling through the conversation on the board, but so much whining between the posters, it was just too painful to read.

"That's him? That's the notorious Jack B. Quick?"
"Indeed, sir. Have a care...you may be a fine swordsman, but he's the fastest sword in the duchy!"

"Bah." Kothos sauntered forward, his greatsword slung casually over one massively-muscled shoulder. He eyed his opponent scornfully. The man didn't look like much. Average height, not particularly muscular, armed with a plain longsword and handaxe. "You, there! They say you're the fastest sword in the duchy."

The unassuming-looking swordsman smiled thinly. "In the world," he replied, quietly.

Kothos sneered. "Let's find out. Come at me!"

As Kothos assumed a fighting stance, Quick stepped in and struck, once...a stinging, insulting blow. Kothos growled. "That's it? So much for the fastest sword in the world. Goodbye!" So saying, he raised his greatsword for a lethal downswing.

A split-second later, Kothos lay sprawled on the ground, bleeding from half a dozen wounds. His opponent nonchalantly considered a small gash on his shoulder--barely a scratch. "Like I said," he addressed the air. "In the world."

In the spirit of Snow Savant's Chain Gatling Tripper, I offer Jack B. Quick.

Human Fighter 20

1. TWF, Dodge, WF (Longsword)
2. Combat Expertise
3. Improved Trip
4. WF (Handaxe)
6. Improved TWF, High Sword Low Axe
8. Combat Reflexes
9. Karmic Strike
10. Double Hit
12. Robilar's Gambit, Mobility
14. Elusive Target
15. Power Attack
16. Overpowering Attack
18. Improved Unarmed Strike, Defensive Throw
20. Sidestep

The basic notion of the character is simple: for every strike of the opponent's, he will get repeated strikes in return. Early in his life, he's a fairly straightforward two-weapon fighter. Once he hits level 9, though, he begins to shift to his trademark fighting style--his opponent hits him, he strikes back with sword and dagger, trips, and hits again with the sword.

By level 12, he's a full-fledged menace. For every hit by the opponent, Jack will get the following attack sequence: sword-axe-trip-sword, sword-axe-trip-sword. Theoretically, this is eight attacks; however, since most DMs won't allow a player to trip an already-tripped opponent, realistically Jack is going to get six hits to his opponent's one.

At level 16, Jack gets the icing on the cake. He takes a single attack per round (at double damage.) Any attack against him provokes the retaliation above, ALSO at double damage.

While I'm quite happy with the rough build, I'm not as happy with the sequence of feats. Some important feats get left until late in the build. I'd especially like to get Elusive Target earlier, to prevent opponents from out-damaging Jack with one massive shot. I'd also like to find a way to squeeze in Deft Opportunist.

bartman
2010-08-04, 09:48 PM
I'm actually playing this build in my current campaign, albeit modified slightly. We started at level 9, and just leveled last Saturday. I took 2 flaws in the initial build, so gained 2 feats there. My feat layout is:

Feats
(# = level feat, FL# = Flaw #(Flaw in brackets), F# = Fighter Bonus Feat)
~~~~~
FL1 Combat Reflexes(P)
(Murky Eyed)(UA)
FL2 Combat Expertise(P)
(Shaky)(UA)
H Two Weapon Fighting(P)
1 Dodge(P)
F1 Weapon Focus (Longsword)(P)
F2 Oversize TWF(CAd)
3 Improved Trip(P)
F4 Weapon Focus (Battleaxe)(P)
6 Improved Two Weapon Fighting(P)
F6 High Sword, Low Axe(CW)
F8 Double Hit(MINI)
9 Karmic Strike(CW)
F10 Two Weapon Pounce
~~~~(Have not looked too heavily after this point, subject to change)~~~~
12 Robilar's Gambit(P2)
F12 Sidestep(MINI)
F14 Elusive Target(CW)
15 Power Attack(P)
F16 Overpowering Attack(P2*)
18 Improved Unarmed Strike(P)
F18 Defensive Throw(CW)
F20 Deft Opportunist(MINI)
Sources
~~~~~
(P = Players Handbook, P2 = Players Handbook 2, P2* = Players Handbook 2 ACF, CW = Complete Warrior, MINI = Miniatures Handbook, UA = Unearthed Arcana)

I bought the Strongarm Bracers, and am dual wielding a Large Longsword and Large Battle Axe for 2d6 base damage each. The +1 from weapon focus and the +1 from it being a +1 weapon negates the -2 to TWF, so I am straight BAB plus STR.

We have had 2 combats so far, on the first one I was not too effective as our caster Touch of Idiocied the thing to death before i could do much, but the second combat, had it not been for the DR10/Slashing, i would have been hella effective. As it was, I managed to keep it on its ass most of the time, and only got hit a couple of times

(I am still having fun with this build, if anyone has any suggestions I am open to hearing them :smallwink:)

gallagher
2010-08-04, 10:22 PM
I'm actually playing this build in my current campaign, albeit modified slightly. We started at level 9, and just leveled last Saturday. I took 2 flaws in the initial build, so gained 2 feats there. My feat layout is:

Feats
(# = level feat, FL# = Flaw #(Flaw in brackets), F# = Fighter Bonus Feat)
~~~~~
FL1 Combat Reflexes(P)
(Murky Eyed)(UA)
FL2 Combat Expertise(P)
(Shaky)(UA)
H Two Weapon Fighting(P)
1 Dodge(P)
F1 Weapon Focus (Longsword)(P)
F2 Oversize TWF(CAd)
3 Improved Trip(P)
F4 Weapon Focus (Battleaxe)(P)
6 Improved Two Weapon Fighting(P)
F6 High Sword, Low Axe(CW)
F8 Double Hit(MINI)
9 Karmic Strike(CW)
F10 Two Weapon Pounce
~~~~(Have not looked too heavily after this point, subject to change)~~~~
12 Robilar's Gambit(P2)
F12 Sidestep(MINI)
F14 Elusive Target(CW)
15 Power Attack(P)
F16 Overpowering Attack(P2*)
18 Improved Unarmed Strike(P)
F18 Defensive Throw(CW)
F20 Deft Opportunist(MINI)
Sources
~~~~~
(P = Players Handbook, P2 = Players Handbook 2, P2* = Players Handbook 2 ACF, CW = Complete Warrior, MINI = Miniatures Handbook, UA = Unearthed Arcana)

I bought the Strongarm Bracers, and am dual wielding a Large Longsword and Large Battle Axe for 2d6 base damage each. The +1 from weapon focus and the +1 from it being a +1 weapon negates the -2 to TWF, so I am straight BAB plus STR.

We have had 2 combats so far, on the first one I was not too effective as our caster Touch of Idiocied the thing to death before i could do much, but the second combat, had it not been for the DR10/Slashing, i would have been hella effective. As it was, I managed to keep it on its ass most of the time, and only got hit a couple of times

(I am still having fun with this build, if anyone has any suggestions I am open to hearing them :smallwink:)

i still dont know why people dont aim for two weapon rend in this build! it adds damage, and depending on the DM, since yuo are hitting 8 times, that is 4 rends. it may not be much depending on your enemy, but it helps against guys with DR, regeneration (more damage to regen) and large hit die. it also downs them much faster

herrhauptmann
2010-08-04, 10:27 PM
Well my standard advice to anyone is to get Everbright or durable on your items, especially if tied to a particular weapon like Jack B Quick. And that Jotunbrud (players guide to faerun) works well for tripping.

If you can upgrade to gold or platinum weapons(magic of faerun), it'll improve your base damage again, but it'll require either an extra feat, or an extra enhancement to let you use them still. [Heavy] weapons are automatically exotic, so an extra feat is needed for proficiency, or the +1 enhancement.
A couple of levels of psychic warrior could help a lot. 2 levels of that would net you an extra feat over straight fighter. Then just grab a dorje (wand thing) to get yourself the expansion power as often as you needed it.

Weird, I posted for info, but I'm giving advice.

gallagher
2010-08-04, 10:49 PM
Well my standard advice to anyone is to get Everbright or durable on your items, especially if tied to a particular weapon like Jack B Quick. And that Jotunbrud (players guide to faerun) works well for tripping.

If you can upgrade to gold or platinum weapons(magic of faerun), it'll improve your base damage again, but it'll require either an extra feat, or an extra enhancement to let you use them still. [Heavy] weapons are automatically exotic, so an extra feat is needed for proficiency, or the +1 enhancement.
A couple of levels of psychic warrior could help a lot. 2 levels of that would net you an extra feat over straight fighter. Then just grab a dorje (wand thing) to get yourself the expansion power as often as you needed it.

Weird, I posted for info, but I'm giving advice.

interestingly enough, with that in mind, you still dont need any WIS, since you are using the dorje.

also, if you can find a way to make it feasable, invest teh feats to get the stance that gives you a miss chance, adn therefor wont need to spend mony on a cloak of displacement.

i dont remember, does robilards gambit require them to hit you? or just make an attack roll....

herrhauptmann
2010-08-04, 11:11 PM
interestingly enough, with that in mind, you still dont need any WIS, since you are using the dorje.

also, if you can find a way to make it feasable, invest teh feats to get the stance that gives you a miss chance, adn therefor wont need to spend mony on a cloak of displacement.

i dont remember, does robilards gambit require them to hit you? or just make an attack roll....
Don't need wisdom for powers, but your will save is gonna suck between fighter and psy war.

Geh, miss chances!
Smoking weapon from Lords of Darkness, +1 cost. If someone tries to grapple, they get a stinking cloud in the face. There's also a 20% miss chance (only covers one square if you're large size)

bartman
2010-08-05, 09:36 AM
Robilar's Gambit just requires them to attack you. Used in concert with Karmic Strike, you could potentially, at a -8 AC, take an AoO after they strike at you (Robilar's), and if that AoO misses the combo to trip, then you could take another one if they hit you (Karmic), to try again.

The levels past 10 in my build are still being worked around. I have been considering Two Weapon Rend, but cannot take it yet (need +11 BAB).

9mm
2010-08-05, 02:33 PM
i still dont know why people dont aim for two weapon rend in this build! it adds damage, and depending on the DM, since yuo are hitting 8 times, that is 4 rends. it may not be much depending on your enemy, but it helps against guys with DR, regeneration (more damage to regen) and large hit die. it also downs them much faster

well the simple reason was you couldn't fit it. at the time the origial JBQ was made, there where few defences to make up for the -8 to AC the full combo entailed so elusive target kept you alive against multiple targets. Most of my JBQ variants for ToS chucked elusive target for evasive reflexs, rend, and optunistic strike; and if you follow FAQ's ruling you can further jetison karmatic for something like oh, Travel Devotion.