PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] To build an archer

Freylorn
2010-08-04, 09:49 PM
We've got a new game just starting up for Pathfinder, and one of the character concepts I was looking at was an archer.

Archery in general seems to have gotten a boost from 3.5, and my DM is not likely to be abusing things like Wind Wall to shut me down, so I think I could actually play an archery-focused character and contribute a good amount of damage.

The thing is, I really don't know where to start. Fighters have gotten some new fighter-only feats, as well as that scaling attack/damage boost, so I was thinking of going that route. But I'm just not sure. Nothing is set in stone except the basic idea of archery, so I'm open to all suggestions - race, class, etc. are all up for debate.

Here are the basics:

Pathfinder SRD only (No 3.5, etc.)
15 point buy
Starting level 5
Wealth as normal for that level

What I'd like here is a basic character build idea: would I go fighter 20? Ranger 20? Splash wizard for arcane archer? Honestly, whichever is the most efficient works fine for me.

Secondly, a quick and general question - as an archer, would it be more beneficial for me to focus my level ups and belt slot on Strength (for damage) or Dexterity (for to-hit?)

Please bear in mind that this is Pathfinder SRD only, which may make things like Weapon Focus/Greater Weapon Focus a better choice than they were in 3.5. Or not. I don't know.

Either way, I've rambled enough. Thank you in advance for your advice!

Kalrik
2010-08-04, 10:04 PM
I go fighter. Sixth level is easier to demonstrate for me.

H. Point Blank Shot
1. Precise Shot
f1. Weapon Focus: Longbow
f2. Rapid Shot
3. Improved Initative
f4. Weapon Specialization
5. Deadly aim
F6. Multishot

14 str
16 dex
Weapon Training: Bows 1

standard: +12/+7 1d8+3 each arrow, 3 arrows (3d8+9)
Rapid: +10/+10/+5 1d8+3 each arrow, 4 arrows (4d8+12)

If you can hit really well, or have a cleric casting prayer and your team casting haste, you can be a beast.

Freylorn
2010-08-04, 10:07 PM
That's kind of the exact layout I was thinking, Kalric, except with the stats maybe tweaked around a bit and taking toughness over improved initiative.

Though I have my doubts about pure fighter, due to remembering just how well they did in 3.5. In other words, not very.

Starbuck_II
2010-08-04, 10:10 PM
Well, what does Arcane archer give:
You have to be Elven or 1/2
Unlike 3.5, your non-magical arrows become better (flaming, distance, Flaming burst sadly replaces Flaming, holy, etc)

So you get a cheap arrows that do stuff.
Imbue can be useful.
7/10 casting.

Taking it 4th seems the best.

Feat: Rapid Shot or Vital Strike seems a neccesity.
Are you going for one big attack or multi?

Mongoose87
2010-08-04, 10:14 PM
From what I hear, Paladins make the best archers, in PF. That new encounter-long Smite Evil is pretty shiny, and helps boots the normally pitiful damage of archery.

Powerfamiliar
2010-08-04, 10:15 PM
I go fighter. Sixth level is easier to demonstrate for me.

H. Point Blank Shot
1. Precise Shot
f1. Weapon Focus: Longbow
f2. Rapid Shot
3. Improved Initative
f4. Weapon Specialization
5. Deadly aim
F6. Multishot

14 str
16 dex
Weapon Training: Bows 1

standard: +12/+7 1d8+3 each arrow, 3 arrows (3d8+9)
Rapid: +10/+10/+5 1d8+3 each arrow, 4 arrows (4d8+12)

If you can hit really well, or have a cleric casting prayer and your team casting haste, you can be a beast.

Make that bow mighty!

Tinydwarfman
2010-08-04, 10:18 PM
Yeah, Paladins are awesome in PF, and they can really lay the smack down as an archer.

tyckspoon
2010-08-04, 10:25 PM
Though I have my doubts about pure fighter, due to remembering just how well they did in 3.5. In other words, not very.

You're playing Pathfinder Core, basically. They didn't improve the martial classes that much- none of them are excelling choices for archery. You'll do about as well with any of the full BAB options. Fighter gets reasonable bonuses, Ranger is good if you want skills and Favored Enemy is pretty good if you know/have been told the campaign will favor certain types (or you can convince your GM to let you retrain.) Barbarian works, but you have to worry about where to set the draw-weight of your bow compared to your variable Strength score.

Gish-archers, on the other hand, have it a lot easier, because they made Dragon Disciple and Arcane Archer not suck. Something like Fighter 4/Sorcerer 1/Dragon Disciple 4/Arcane Archer X/Eldritch Knight X is an effective build now instead of being horribly self-gimped.

Gnaeus
2010-08-04, 11:09 PM
What about Holy Warrior cleric for archer? (That is the cleric variant in Chronicles that trades both domains for full BAB, D10 HD, and proficiency in deity's favored weapon). Viable?

BobVosh
2010-08-04, 11:17 PM
Paladin is great, also inquisitor (get the playtest of the new classes, I think its release 1) works well. Inquisitor doesn't get as big a bonus for one enemy, but it lasts for a whole combat.

Ranger 1, wiz 4, eldritch knight 3, AA 8 (9 if you want the free align, 10 is mostly worthless), finish with EK is my recommendation for AA. Fighter 1 can replace ranger 1 if you prefer.

HunterOfJello
2010-08-04, 11:22 PM
Archer Paladins remind me of The Silver Flame from the Eberron Setting. That sounds like a fun character to play.

Fax Celestis
2010-08-04, 11:23 PM
The inquisitor makes a KILLER archer, to be frank. Friend of mine rolled up an ECL 18 one for a one-shot, and he had five to eight attacks a round (depending on feat usage, etc) for 15d6. It was...well, let's just say we won't be seeing those fire giants anymore.

BobVosh
2010-08-04, 11:25 PM
Oh also look up Treantmonk's switch hitter build. Its not really a build so much as a loose guide to PF archery.

Freylorn
2010-08-04, 11:40 PM
The inquisitor makes a KILLER archer, to be frank. Friend of mine rolled up an ECL 18 one for a one-shot, and he had five to eight attacks a round (depending on feat usage, etc) for 15d6. It was...well, let's just say we won't be seeing those fire giants anymore.

Oooh - now see, I hadn't even thought of the inquisitor! The problem I'd run into here though, is that's pretty MAD - Strength, Dex, and Wisdom would all play decent-sized parts in the build, and I don't quite know how I'd keep up with them all. Some advice on stats here would be essential.

PinkysBrain
2010-08-05, 02:32 AM
Secondly, a quick and general question - as an archer, would it be more beneficial for me to focus my level ups and belt slot on Strength (for damage) or Dexterity (for to-hit?)
Neither, you buy the Belt of Physical Might to upgrade both. All your level increases go into dex though.

Eldariel
2010-08-05, 07:23 AM
How much non-PF material can you use? 'cause there's still plenty of goodies you can add with multiclassing. But PF Fighter actually gets decent boosts to Archery over the levels, and yeah, casters are as good as ever. Pally isn't horrible either and Ranger still works.

And yes, Rapid Shot and Deadly Aim are the key. Then you just pick a boost to to hit/damage (most classes have some scaling bonus) and go with it. You may wish to consider Ranger-dip for a Fighter-base build just to get some of the skills in class; Fighter skills still suck.

Wagadodo
2010-08-05, 10:18 AM
If you can get your hands on the new Advance Players Guide for Pathfinder there is feat that you now can get at right after weapon spec feat or a ranger that just needs weapon focus that will allow you fire will in melee with out taking an attack oppurnity. Sorry at work right now so I not quite sure the name. There is also an Archer alternative class features that will allow to do some combat manuveurs from a range up to 30 feat. You do give up armor training for it. But at 9th level you can fire any bow and not take an attack of oppurnity.

subject42
2010-08-05, 10:33 AM
If you can get your hands on the new Advance Players Guide for Pathfinder there is feat that you now can get at right after weapon spec feat or a ranger that just needs weapon focus that will allow you fire will in melee with out taking an attack oppurnity.

Sorry for the threadjack, but has the hardcopy of the Advanced Player's Guide been released yet?

Wagadodo
2010-08-05, 10:42 AM
Sorry for the threadjack, but has the hardcopy of the Advanced Player's Guide been released yet?

Got mine in the mail on Monday. Nice book by the way. I think it adds like six new specialities for each class. Allows for even more customization.

If you are only doing core Pathfinder only. Really, really see the new book before making up new characters.