PDA

View Full Version : Best Star Wars Era for Play?

gnomas
2010-08-04, 11:38 PM
Thinking of running a star wars SAGA game soon, and I was wondering what time period to set it in.

So what's your favourite era?

MightyTim
2010-08-04, 11:46 PM
Personally, in a type of game like Star Wars, I'd want the campaign to take place during a period where there's as little info on the historical canon as possible.

Just like there isn't really much point in running a campaign in Middle Earth during the time period when Frodo's destroying the One Ring, because all the major characters have all ready been accounted for.

There isn't much room for the PCs to shine and feel very important when Luke is blowing up the Death Star. I'd prefer something either during the Old Republic (probably in the decades before the Galactic Civil War), or several decades after the Battle of Yavin when it can be safe to assume most of the main characters from the movies had died off.

Doing something like this gives you more freedom as a DM to set the political stage of the story without being hampered by events that are supposed to happen.

Of course, there's the tradeoff that it could be cool to give certain well-known characters a cameo or two.

Crossblade
2010-08-04, 11:49 PM
Old Republic or Clone Wars.
Old Republic era is full of jedi up the ying yang, and open to tons of possible random Sith or other baddies.
Clone Wars because there's no real restrictions on classes (jedi are still very possible), the background of the blazing war (granted, war scenes are hard for GMs to work out, but you don't need those)... and I just like Clone Troopers for some reason.

Marnath
2010-08-04, 11:50 PM
I like the time period just before the Kotor games, or right during. The idea of a campaign set during the mandalorian wars is appealing to me. I'd set it up to where the pc's are the Exile from kotor2 and his officers when he/she served as a general agaisnt the mandalorians. Maybe this time around Bao-dur doesnt set off the device that destroys Malachor V. I've never played saga though so i can't tell how well that'd translate from the videogames.

MightyTim
2010-08-04, 11:52 PM
Prior ranting aside... Isn't this a question you should be asking your PCs?

Katana_Geldar
2010-08-05, 12:01 AM
Which Star Wars era is best depends a lot on your preferred campaign style.
Here's a few styles:

Jedi and Regulars in a party: Definitely KOTOR-era, and there's plenty of room to play. Jedi at this time were rather indepenent and late starters.
Military: Can be done pretty much ANY time when there is a war on, but the best times would have to be Clone Wars and Rebellion era, though they are rather different play styles. Clone Wars can get you your big battles and you Jedi waving their glow sticks around as well as the military organisation stuff. Rebellion is usually a bit smaller in scale due to the rebel cell.
Scum and Villainy: Can be done pretty much any time and is by far the easiest to run as you tend not to bump into much canon. I'd say the best time for this is the Dark Times, the TFU era when the Empire is warming up.

And war scenes are hard, but if you master mass combat rules and decide whether your battles are pre-scripted (easiest) or PC determined (harder, and you need the right group), you can do it.

FelixG
2010-08-05, 12:08 AM
I am fairly fond of Clone Wars, lots of fun technology, Jedi and Sith about.

As for the canon issues, i tend to encourage my players to do whatever they like. I am fairly good at making up how stories would go if things get changed, though some events are just too big for the players to stop single handedly (order 66 for example)

Katana_Geldar
2010-08-05, 12:18 AM
It is fairly simple for you to fly between the canon and even itneract with it, to some point. Some big events are story cues, and the players know when they are.

The best way to avoid barging into canon is to make up your own planet, or take an obscure planet from the Wookieepedia that has hardly anything written on it and go for your life.

chiasaur11
2010-08-05, 12:28 AM
If one insisted on Clone Wars, it'd be a good idea to stay away from the main plot for the most part. Too much late era Lucas.

On the other hand, running a Commando squad might be fun times.

gnomas
2010-08-05, 12:35 AM
Prior ranting aside... Isn't this a question you should be asking your PCs?

I have, but they're still debating. Besides, I was curious what people thought!

Katana_Geldar
2010-08-05, 12:52 AM
What sort of campaign you looking to run?

Popertop
2010-08-05, 01:03 AM
I like Old Republic era myself.
I like having independant Jedi, instead of someone that's just a pawn of the council.

Mando Knight
2010-08-05, 01:27 AM
Clone Wars and KotOR offer the most variety and highest number of fighting Jedi for most groups, though New Republic and later periods can work as well for a Jedi-yes party. Early Dark Times is good for a Scum & Villainy campaign, especially if you want gritty Jedi hunted by Temuera Morrison's voice and skeletal-white plastic soldiers.

Trying to run anything in the GCW would possibly run cross-purposes to remembering that the whole thing rests on the shoulders of the Skywalker family. Any Jedi there detract from Luke's specialness, and so forth. However, the galaxy's pretty large, so blowing up some Moff's mini-superweapon is quite reasonable.

Shock-troop parties generally want a war. There's always a war going on. Always. Smuggler parties don't like wars themselves, but smuggling is everywhere all the time during a war. Mixed Jedi/not-Jedi groups generally need a major, Jedi-intensive war, such as the Clone Wars, the Mandalorian and Jedi Civil Wars, or the Vong War in order to stick together.

Yora
2010-08-05, 04:45 AM
I just love Old Republic to the point that I wouldn't want anything else to play. :smallbiggrin:
And by that, I'm only thinking roughly of the time of the games and the comics, maybe 200 years earlier or later, because I really don't like Revan. So it's more like "some unspecified point in time that has a very similar political situation to the Old Republic era and shares it's technologies and dominant races.

Aotrs Commander
2010-08-05, 05:09 AM
Galactic Civil war.

As the Empire.

Based around TIE Fighter. I have actually done that twice (once as a player, once as a DM). Shooting rebels are part of an elite Imperial special ops unit is fun. Also, yay, TIE Defenders...

hamishspence
2010-08-05, 06:27 AM
Trying to run anything in the GCW would possibly run cross-purposes to remembering that the whole thing rests on the shoulders of the Skywalker family. Any Jedi there detract from Luke's specialness, and so forth. However, the galaxy's pretty large, so blowing up some Moff's mini-superweapon is quite reasonable.

Maybe- but there are a lot of fallen Jedi, partially trained children of Jedi, and so on, in the EU, in this period. True Jedi might be a bit out of place- but just Force Users make a bit more sense.

Bharg
2010-08-05, 06:40 AM
I considered playing in the Legacy Era since there all the stuff from the previous eras exists. Mandalorians are back, the K.U.S. droids etc.

But I can't think of a good fringe plot line...

KiltedGrappler
2010-08-05, 08:32 AM
I've always perfered the Rise of the Empire era or early Rebellion for StarWars. Much less is written about that time period than almost all the others, and other than key people at the galactic level (Vader, the Emperor, Bail Organa, etc..) there are very little canon to step on.

hamishspence
2010-08-05, 08:36 AM
The Force Unleashed would be the campaign book for this period.

While there isn't all that much for that era, it is beginning to grow.

The Force Unleashed
Death Troopers
The Adventures of Han Solo
The Adventures of Lando Calrission
The Han Solo Trilogy
The Rise of Darth Vader
The Coruscant Nights Trilogy
501st
Death Star

These are a few offhand examples.

Katana_Geldar
2010-08-05, 05:39 PM
Rebellion era is where you can get that WEG feel.

ShaggyMarco
2010-08-05, 08:48 PM
I ran a long-ish Legacy Era game: It was awesome.

The thing about it, PCs can play just about anything and all be on the same side:

I had an Imperial, a couple Jedi, a Mandalorian, and 2-3 fringe characters. They were all unified against the Sith. I easily could have had a couple of PCs from the Rebellion as well.

Plus, that far forward, there is no future timeline to concern yourself with, and PCs can tie their characters to families from long past without stepping on Cannon toes (well, there Are Skywalkers and sort-of-Solos running around...but you can still go other directions).

Anyway, it has everything, but in interesting places and proportions.

Force
2010-08-05, 09:26 PM
Remember that the Star Wars galaxy isn't just big, it's frickin' enormous. You have thousands if not hundreds of thousands of inhabited planets to play with. Even at the height of the Rebellion era, for example, the Rebellion itself consists primarily of resistance cells with a very small capital ship fleet and a few holdout bases, mostly in the outer rim. Even if Luke's shining by blowing up the DS, the characters can be the big bad dudes in a different sector. Luke might be awesome, but he's not here. Your characters will be.

If you want the characters to actually save the galaxy or a similar stunt that would interfere with "canonical" events in a specific time period, though, you probably want either Legacy or KotOR era.

Alleran
2010-08-05, 10:12 PM
I'm particularly fond of the Rebellion era. To me, it's where everything all started, and still has the most "draw" for a campaign.

Katana_Geldar
2010-08-05, 11:28 PM
My players are currently running a criminal organisation on Nar Shaddaa. Took a lot of work to get them there and as a good GM, I am going to take it all away. :smallamused:

Hawriel
2010-08-05, 11:50 PM
Classic Star Wars. You can do any thing you want during the period of the first movies. The 'canon' is not an obstical. You only need to have three things happen, and then you can get by with just a mention.

1) Alderaan is blown up.

2) The 1st Death Star is blown up.

3) The Empire's defeat at Endor.

Thats it, the consiquences of thoughs events add enviornmental flavor. You can do any thing. You can be a rebal, an imperial, a smugglar, a correlian policemen, a freedom fighter in the corporate sector. It doesnt matter, the events of the movie are for setting flavor.

Thats why I love WEG (rip). They put so much thought into expanding the star wars galaxy it expanded story options well behyond the events of the movies.

Alleran
2010-08-06, 12:52 AM
Thats it, the consiquences of thoughs events add enviornmental flavor. You can do any thing. You can be a rebal, an imperial, a smugglar, a correlian policemen, a freedom fighter in the corporate sector. It doesnt matter, the events of the movie are for setting flavor.
Very much true. My players are currently working as a Rebel SpecOps team (Link (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Alliance_Special_Operations)). It fit the "group of PCs" context perfectly. Not only are they horrifically prone to shenanigans of the absolute highest order, they're cocky while at the same time being quite talented at what they do. I've only had to really put in restrictions on Jedi (i.e. needing to find a teacher if you want to be one), and amusingly enough, just rolling with some of the zany plans they invent reminds me of the Wraith Squadron books by Aaron Allston, too. There was one time in particular where they engaged in a bank heist, stealing several million credits from the Imperial Bank at Fondor shipyards. SpecOps teams are often used to cover the existence of existing Alliance Intelligence operations, and this group turns that up to eleven.

Kiero
2010-08-06, 08:03 AM
KotOR, either during or shortly after the Mandalorian Wars. Or for something a little different, rebuilding the Republic in the aftermath of the Dark Wars.

IdleMuse
2010-08-06, 08:26 AM
I must admit, a lot of the KOTOR era interest seems to be because of the games. Not having played them myself (as have few of my players), we just tend to skip that entirely, it just seems dull and blank. Sure, if you want an era where there's nothing going on, post-KOTOR pre-Ep1 is a good period, but I like the specific flavours you get in the Clone Wars, or the Rebellion era. My favourite at the moment has to be late-Unleashed, early-Rebellion era, although I run most plots in the Clone Wars era.

My next campaign will probably be a slightly Infinities extension of a 'You are the 501st' one-shot I ran, playing through A New Hope from the POV of the 501st.

hamishspence
2010-08-06, 08:29 AM
What about the "gap periods" not mentioned much in the novels or comics?

Instead of playing in the KOTOR era, you could play somewhere between then and the Clone Wars era. In the time of Darth Ruin, or Belia Darzu, Sith Lady and creator of Technobeasts (A bit like Borg).

Or go right back to the dawn of the Jedi and the wars against Xendor, one of the first Dark Jedi, and his lieutenant Arden Lyn?

IdleMuse
2010-08-06, 08:33 AM
I must admit, pre-Great Hyperspace War stuff would be very interesting to play.

kkortekaas
2010-08-06, 08:38 AM
I'm a fan of between Episode 3 and 4, for the following reasons

- Any Jedi that exist can't be super flashy, as good 'ole Darth Vader is going to be hunting for them

- They get a chance to play a crucial role at the birth of the Rebellion.

- It's a reletively dead spot for history, sure we've got broad strokes of stuff that happened, but not so many definitive "X went here and blew up Y super weapon"

- They can interact with younger versions of iconic characters. Who doesn't want to smacktalk Moff Tarkin, or cheat Lando at a game of sabacc?

Kris Strife
2010-08-06, 08:54 AM
Can you really be mean to Peter Cushing in Slippers (http://www.bluemilkspecial.com/?p=166)?

FelixG
2010-08-06, 09:42 AM
I guess it depends on what you are wanting in a game.

I prefer letting my characters have their run of the universe no canon be...forgotten... XD

Clone wars offers them two sides of a war to choose from, or start their own side and hope for the best, they can start up a criminal organization as there is alot of supply and demand for things, plenty of bounties and little restrictions because of the war thats on.

No matter my players taste they can get a bit of whatever they like.

Kiero
2010-08-07, 05:11 AM
I'm a fan of between Episode 3 and 4, for the following reasons

- Any Jedi that exist can't be super flashy, as good 'ole Darth Vader is going to be hunting for them

- They get a chance to play a crucial role at the birth of the Rebellion.

- It's a reletively dead spot for history, sure we've got broad strokes of stuff that happened, but not so many definitive "X went here and blew up Y super weapon"

- They can interact with younger versions of iconic characters. Who doesn't want to smacktalk Moff Tarkin, or cheat Lando at a game of sabacc?

I do like The Dark Times, but no more than five years after Revenge of the Sith. I can't stand the traditional Rebellion era, it's my least favourite era.

Katana_Geldar
2010-08-07, 09:00 PM
There's nothing that says Rebellion era more than having a huge star destroyer chasing the PCs. What's more, they like it as it's classic.

MattintheHat
2010-08-07, 09:34 PM
Old Republic, specifically the Mandalorian Wars (either at the beginning or the end, just before the Sith War involving Revan), or the time period directly after KOTORII. Lots of fluff, but not a lot of stuff that railroads the PCs.

dgnslyr
2010-08-07, 09:49 PM
I'm no expert on SWSE, but I'd want to play a game in the Old Republic era because there's not much canon set in stone, so you have room to do whatever you want. There aren't any plot obligations to accommodate for canon, so you can make whatever plot you want. KotOR was also a really fun game, and my first exposure to a d20 game, though you wouldn't know it unless you looked through the manual.

TheThan
2010-08-07, 09:52 PM
I love the original rebellion era setting, but then again I do tend to discourage Jedi. But if I have people who wish to be Jedi, then I like running the new Jedi order era, as it provides you with plenty of room for Jedi to exist out side of what’s been written. Not to mention most of the people I’d have as players know NOTHING other than what they’ve seen in the films, so I’m free to play with things as I see fit.

Philistine
2010-08-07, 10:59 PM
In the old SWd20 game (including the RCR), Jedi were so ridiculously over-the-top powerful that mixed parties tended to boil down to Jedi and Spectators. So I tended to favor the period between Order 66 and Endor. SWSE is less... insane... but I still have a soft spot for the "there are no Jedi" eras.

Beelzebub1111
2010-08-07, 11:46 PM
I like Legacy Era. Mostly because the Vong make GREAT villains.

Jera
2010-08-08, 01:02 AM
I'm in a group right now playing in the post-Yuuzahn Vong war/pre-LotF era. I guess if we headed towards the core worlds the Dark Nest crisis would be going on but we're in the mid-rim pissing off Hutts and Mandalorians right now.

Kiero
2010-08-08, 05:01 AM
I like Legacy Era. Mostly because the Vong make GREAT villains.

The Vong are exactly why I'd never play anything from New Jedi Order or later.

FelixG
2010-08-08, 05:07 AM
The Vong are exactly why I'd never play anything from New Jedi Order or later.

This.

The Vong are an annoying enemy to me, mostly their technology makes me want to slap someone with a rule book and demand to know why these wanna be zerg(or 'nids) are in star wars :P

Rappy
2010-08-08, 05:20 AM
The Vong are an annoying enemy to me, mostly their technology makes me want to slap someone with a rule book and demand to know why these wanna be zerg(or 'nids) are in star wars :P
Biotechnology is a concept that is older than StarCraft or Warhammer 40K.

Anyway, on the actual question: the time between the Battle of Endor and the creation of the Jedi Praxeum. This period of time allows the players to have a hand in both the formation of the New Republic and/or the restoration of the Jedi Order. It also skirts familiarity and unfamiliarity by having both old foes in the form of the Imperial Remnant as well as new threats such as the Ssi-Ruuk (for what measure of time they were a threat).

FelixG
2010-08-08, 05:27 AM
Biotechnology is a concept that is older than StarCraft or Warhammer 40K.

Calling them zerg and 'nids was meant as a joke thus the tongue, but i guess some just miss internet sarcasm :smallbiggrin:

But all the same i don't like them as enemies.

Yora
2010-08-08, 07:05 AM
This.

Yes, me too
Without ever having read anything they appear in, they just don't feel like star wars to me.

Rappy
2010-08-08, 07:26 AM
Calling them zerg and 'nids was meant as a joke thus the tongue, but i guess some just miss internet sarcasm :smallbiggrin:
Indeed.

Yes, me too
Without ever having read anything they appear in, they just don't feel like star wars to me.
Why exactly don't they "feel like Star Wars"? :smallconfused: I never quite got this mindset, so I'd like to honestly know why you feel that way.

Yora
2010-08-08, 07:39 AM
The Movies are about Rebels vs. Storm Troopers or Jedi vs Clone Troopers, but those are essentially the same. In the KotOR era you have Jedi vs Sith, which really is just the same conflict at another stage.

But in this new era, suddenly a completely new player appears on the scene, one that had not had any place or even reference to in the existing universe.
There's this Simpsons episode with the new character in Itchy and Scratchy. I think it very much represents how I feel about these new aliens.

It might not be rational, and I understand how the franchise managers would want to bring a fresh wind into their universe, but this is about fanboys and nostalgia: We're not rational in how we feel. :smallbiggrin:

electricbee
2010-08-08, 07:51 AM
In Star Wars I like to do an 'alternate history' version of things, to have a familiar setting and allow my players to have center stage.

For example, what if Obi wan had been first thru the force fields at the end of episode one, and Qui Gonn had seen him die at the hands of Darth Maul. Qui Gonn then could go on to kill Maul, and would be free to take Anakin as a new padawan. Under Qui Gonn's tutelage, Anakin never becomes at risk to the dark side. The emperor manipulates events so that the Jedi schism, with one side supporting traditionalism and the Senate, and the other supporting eveolution and advancement of their techniques and mission supporting the separatists.

Or what if Luke was captured during his duel with Vader in Empire Strikes Back. Leia forced to take up Jedi training. Luke and Vader are able together to unseat the Emperor who escapes.

Rappy
2010-08-08, 08:30 AM
The Movies are about Rebels vs. Storm Troopers or Jedi vs Clone Troopers, but those are essentially the same. In the KotOR era you have Jedi vs Sith, which really is just the same conflict at another stage.

But in this new era, suddenly a completely new player appears on the scene, one that had not had any place or even reference to in the existing universe.
There's this Simpsons episode with the new character in Itchy and Scratchy. I think it very much represents how I feel about these new aliens.

It might not be rational, and I understand how the franchise managers would want to bring a fresh wind into their universe, but this is about fanboys and nostalgia: We're not rational in how we feel. :smallbiggrin:
Ah. I don't agree, personally, but I respect your ideas. The only stone I have to throw at the Vong is the fact that they and their era got a SWRPG sourcebook, while all the earlier New Republic got was a few pages worth of footnotes tacked on to the end of the Rebellion Era Sourcebook.

In Star Wars I like to do an 'alternate history' version of things, to have a familiar setting and allow my players to have center stage.

For example, what if Obi wan had been first thru the force fields at the end of episode one, and Qui Gonn had seen him die at the hands of Darth Maul. Qui Gonn then could go on to kill Maul, and would be free to take Anakin as a new padawan. Under Qui Gonn's tutelage, Anakin never becomes at risk to the dark side. The emperor manipulates events so that the Jedi schism, with one side supporting traditionalism and the Senate, and the other supporting eveolution and advancement of their techniques and mission supporting the separatists.

Or what if Luke was captured during his duel with Vader in Empire Strikes Back. Leia forced to take up Jedi training. Luke and Vader are able together to unseat the Emperor who escapes.
This idea is a fun one to work on too, yes.

FelixG
2010-08-08, 09:24 AM

In the defense of the vong, the BEST era to play them would probably be rise of the empire or rebellion (yes they were around then, as scouts for the main invasion) because there isnt the whole racial tension everyone vs you sentiments.

Kiero
2010-08-08, 10:23 AM
Why exactly don't they "feel like Star Wars"? :smallconfused: I never quite got this mindset, so I'd like to honestly know why you feel that way.

Because everything about them (like that whole "exist outside of the Force" nonsense) seems to have been designed with undermining the core tropes of Star Wars in mind. Not to mention being something more fitting in a horror, rather than pulp setting.

Tiki Snakes
2010-08-08, 11:50 AM
Because everything about them (like that whole "exist outside of the Force" nonsense) seems to have been designed with undermining the core tropes of Star Wars in mind. Not to mention being something more fitting in a horror, rather than pulp setting.

Yeah, they strike me as too metagamey, and a little design-by-commitee.

I'm going to put a vote in for the Rebellion / Original Trilogy period.
In an Alternate Universe.

Screw Canon. :smallwink:

hamishspence
2010-08-08, 11:56 AM
The Infinities series of comic books was pretty good.

Star Wars- Luke fails to blow up the Death Star. Leia is captured by the Empire and turned. Yoda plays a big part in the final battle.

Empire Strikes Back- Luke dies on Hoth.

Return of the Jedi- Luke successfully escapes off the Death Star with a redeemed Vader. The Emperor is still alive.

Canon can be chucked out if it suits the players- and lead to pretty dramatic events.

Reverent-One
2010-08-08, 12:12 PM
Because everything about them (like that whole "exist outside of the Force" nonsense) seems to have been designed with undermining the core tropes of Star Wars in mind.

Which makes sense, considering they're extra-galactic invaders. Also, the "exist outside the force nonsense", as you call it, isn't just a random "let's make them different" trait but a major plot point.

Tyrmatt
2010-08-08, 12:52 PM
Either Old Republic or the Jedi Knight post-empire eras, unless you want a really paranoid campaign set in the dying days of the Senate and Republic with Imperial hitsquads hunting Jedi.

2010-08-08, 01:53 PM
What about playing a pre-established story but removing the pre-existing characters? Suddenly surprising the players with canon going wrong could be fun. What if all of them, or maybe one of them during a prologue mini-session with all of them watching, are at the battle of Yavin in a support capacity above the planet. The X-Wings take off, the Death Star comes into view, and the planet explodes. Apparently Han remembered that he likes money, Luke got shot down, Leia got blown up, and now the PCs have to be the heroes of the movies.

Same rationale works for the mandalorian wars, but with more jedi PCs. KOTOR 1 and 2 were set up by what happened when a group of Jedi went to war. The PCs could be playing Darth Revan and Malak, or the Exile, without realising it.

Beelzebub1111
2010-08-08, 08:40 PM
Speaking of Infinities, I played in an SW game where Anakin killed Obi-wan on Mustifar, and the consiquences thereof. Among other things Padme survived childbirth, having Luke and Leia raised to be powerful Sith lords in their own right. Han Solo and Mara Jade got together and became forerunners of the rebellion, after Mon Mothma was assassinated. Vader has become something of a Starscream to Palpatine's Megatron. Trying to override the Rule of Two with the Rule of One after learning of the ways of the old sith through holocrons.

Coidzor
2010-08-08, 11:07 PM
Among other things Padme survived childbirth

Um. Why? Sith Mind Control? She died from not giving a ****. :smallconfused:

Tiki Snakes
2010-08-08, 11:17 PM

Easy, Anakin force-choked the plot till it started even trying to make sense again. :smallsmile:

Died of a broken heart my bum.

Coidzor
2010-08-08, 11:20 PM
Died of a broken heart my bum.

<_< That's a nice way of saying she broke her cyanide tooth. :smallwink:

Unless she really did die of not giving a **** as Blue Milk Special put it.

Beelzebub1111
2010-08-08, 11:21 PM

Anakin not dead/able to be there for her, gave her the will to live? Don't really care that much, just that when we fought the Sith Skywalker Twins it was awesome