PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Making Master Astrologer full caster (DR #340)

Chrizzt
2010-08-05, 07:33 AM
Hello folks! This goes out to all who are familiar with the Master Astrologer PrC in Dragon Magazine #340.

I really love both flavor and crunch of this Prestige Class, but the caster level loss hurts. So I have been thinking of ways to alter the PrC so that full caster level progression is appropriate.

Do you think the PrC would be overpowered with FullCP? Its cap stone ability needs a standard action to activate, limiting its use in combat, and the bonus feats come from fixed lists (although that could be changed, as suggested under "Adaption").

I have been thinking of adding an additional feat requirement for the PrC, something that is flavorful yet not powerful. I'm not sure yet what to take. Spell Thematics seems nice, but may be already too "useful" to help counter-balance. (Something connected with stars and constellations would be great, of course!)

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!

gorfnab
2010-08-07, 01:32 AM
The Master Astrologer only looses 1 caster level and that's at 1st level. If you're somehow really hurting on the caster levels then add in the caster level increase at 1st level since it really doesn't change the class at all. From what I'm reading the class is a lot of fluff with some free bonus feats most of which are "meh" or worse. Its capstone ability is nice but since it's once a day I would rather be inclined to look into Incantatrix instead if I wanted to have real arcane power. Also the prereq feat for this prestige class (Skill Focus: Profession Astrologer) is a complete waste of a feat. So yeah this prestige class while flavorful is very underpowered compared to a good chunk of the full or near full arcane caster prestige classes out there.

If you want a decent "astrologer" caster something like Diviner 5/Divine Oracle 10/Loremaster 1/Fatespinner 4 with some ranks in Profession: Astrology would do a better job of being an astrologer than the Master Astrology prestige class.