PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Warlock Pact Boons

Eorran
2010-08-05, 08:29 AM
I've got a Star Pact warlock, who I really enjoy, but I've noticed his pact boon is, frankly, crap. A +1 bonus that must be used within 1 round isn't even worth remembering, usually.

For flavor reasons, I don't want to change his pact, but I've been thinking about asking to trade his pact boon for the Infernal warlock boon, re-flavored to fit the Star pact.

Is there any reason not to allow this? I can't really see a problem with it, but want to make sure.

ghost_warlock
2010-08-05, 09:02 AM
Don't forget that Fate of the Void, unlike Dark One's Blessing, stacks with itself. With a Rod of Corruption and Improved Fate of the Void you can be raking in large bonuses, especially when minions are concerned. Bloodied Boon (feat) makes it so your boon is trigged when a cursed enemy is bloodied, rather than having to wait for them to hit zero-hp.

Also, in paragon tier, there's a feat (Shared Pact) that lets you grant your boon with an ally within 3 squares instead of using it yourself, so even if you don't need the bonus you can always apply it to one of your buddies who might. And then there's Message of Doom Spurned (another paragon feat), which lets you apply an unspent boon to all your defenses as an immediate interrupt when you get attacked.

And, personally, I greatly prefer the vestige pact over infernal in pretty much all cases. Might be worth looking into. Starting at 11th level there's no reason you can't have the best of both worlds thanks to Twofold Pact. :smallwink:

Fallbot
2010-08-05, 09:24 AM
I don't know a huge amount about warlocks, but I guess it would depend on whether you're a CON or CHA based starlock as to how much benefit you'd get out of an infernal pact, both in terms of temp HP gain, and in how much they'd benefit you.

Eorran
2010-08-05, 09:34 AM
ghost warlock: I did look into the vestige pact, but because I end up running other characters as well (small group), I wanted something with a bit less bookkeeping.

I don't have the character sheet with me right now, but I'm not sure I want to give up the two or three feats I'd need to improve Fate of the Void. I went through the feat selection pretty carefully.

Fallbot: We like our PCs to have crazy-good stats, so I'm equally as good with Cha or Con abilities. I've got 23 in both, I think - we're level 21.

Vitruviansquid
2010-08-05, 10:13 AM
It's up to the DM, but I don't know why you'd want to.

If I was playing the warlock, I would much rather use the star pact boon to hit more reliably than gain temp hp. Since star powers have good area denial abilities, that will help you stay alive so you shouldn't theoretically need the temp hp.

Kurald Galain
2010-08-05, 10:27 AM
If I was playing the warlock, I would much rather use the star pact boon to hit more reliably than gain temp hp.
Well, as the OP points out, the star pact boon does not in practice make a noticeable difference to your reliability. Or, to put it differently, whenever your pact boon triggers, it has a 95% chance of doing absolutely nothing.

Eorran - I would suggest using your retraining at your next levelup to swap one pact for the other. This is not technically allowed by RAW, but it is a reasonable change, and one that is explicitly allowed by the LFR rules.

LibraryOgre
2010-08-05, 11:07 AM
I don't see a particular problem with switching the boons.