PDA

View Full Version : another question:

runescaper123
2010-08-05, 09:54 AM
What do you think are going to be happening with the other gates? which will be attacked first? i think the final showdown should be a race through "kraagors tomb of horrors"tm:furious:

NerfTW
2010-08-05, 11:44 AM
There's only one gate left after Girard's, and the Order is not only going after Girard's gate right now, but know Xykon is going to be within 1000 feet of it before Kraagor's gate.

So, I'm going to take a wild shot in the dark here that Girard's gate is attacked, destroyed, and they all head off for a final confrontation at Kraagor's gate, which is in the Dwarven homelands.

Still a toss up of when Nale is going to show up again, though.

137beth
2010-08-05, 12:42 PM
Sense Kraagor's gate is in Durkon's homelands, it would make sense if Durkon dies in the process of reaching Girard's gate, then is reanimated by Xykon and returns home posthumously, which spells doom for his homeland, as predicted in origins of the PCs. Then he is destroyed by the remaining OOTS, raised, and eventually kraagor's gate is reached by both Xykon, OOTS, the linear guild, AND the fiends. Xykon releases the snarl and...whoops! He can't control it.

Marnath
2010-08-05, 01:56 PM
Sense Kraagor's gate is in Durkon's homelands, it would make sense if Durkon dies in the process of reaching Girard's gate, then is reanimated by Xykon and returns home posthumously, which spells doom for his homeland, as predicted in origins of the PCs. Then he is destroyed by the remaining OOTS, raised, and eventually kraagor's gate is reached by both Xykon, OOTS, the linear guild, AND the fiends. Xykon releases the snarl and...whoops! He can't control it.

I don't know where this idea comes from, but we have no proof kraagor's gate is anywhere even close to durkon's homeland, all we know is that it's somewhere that it snows.

Gray Mage
2010-08-05, 03:19 PM
I don't know where this idea comes from, but we have no proof kraagor's gate is anywhere even close to durkon's homeland, all we know is that it's somewhere that it snows.

It's said that it's "far on the north" and the north is where the dwarfs live.

factotum
2010-08-05, 03:37 PM

Roy said specifically that Kraagor's gate was near the north pole when he was talking to the Oracle, so its location is a bit more specific than you're making out. As for why it's thought it's located in Dwarven lands, the evidence for that is mostly circumstantial, but seems to make sense:

a) Its name. Why is it called Kraagor's Gate? Should really have followed the example of the others and been called Serini's Gate--unless there was a particular reason for naming it after the dwarf Kraagor, of course!

b) We have two prophecies concerning Durkon: that he will return home posthumously, and that he will bring death and destruction with him when he does. Now, why would death and destruction go with him unless there were something really important in his homeland that somebody nasty...like, for instance, Xykon...would be interested in? Can't be Durkon himself, because he's dead at this point!

TheMac04
2010-08-05, 03:39 PM
There's only one gate left after Girard's, and the Order is not only going after Girard's gate right now, but know Xykon is going to be within 1000 feet of it before Kraagor's gate.

So, I'm going to take a wild shot in the dark here that Girard's gate is attacked, destroyed, and they all head off for a final confrontation at Kraagor's gate, which is in the Dwarven homelands.

Still a toss up of when Nale is going to show up again, though.
Nale will probably be showing up in this arc, due to it centering around Elan and his family.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-05, 03:42 PM
I think it's a sure thing that Girard's Gate is next. As for Kraagor's Gate, it should be an epic battle: the final gate with tons of high level monsters and Team Evil.

Capt Spanner
2010-08-06, 07:00 PM
I think it's a sure thing that Girard's Gate is next. As for Kraagor's Gate, it should be an epic battle: the final gate with tons of high level monsters and Team Evil.

Yet will somehow all be held together in such a way that the Order use the strengths they've obtained since Dorukan's Gate to overcome Xykon and simultaneously cause the collapse of Team Evil.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-08-07, 09:31 PM
a) Its name. Why is it called Kraagor's Gate? Should really have followed the example of the others and been called Serini's Gate--unless there was a particular reason for naming it after the dwarf Kraagor, of course!
It’s called Kraagor’s Gate because Serini specifically built it as a monument to Kraagor (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html), who’s soul was destroyed there (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html). Given what we know about Serini, she would have done this regardless of the Gate’s location. So being called “Kraagor’s Gate” really has no bearing on its location.

Poppy Appletree
2010-08-08, 09:37 PM
I really do have to wonder why everyone's taking the 1000 feet thing at face value, especially considering the fact that the Oracle is a total rat - after all, Xykon could simply attack Kraagor's Gate first, but have entered the 1000 foot radius area of Girard's gate (if not around it, then overhead) on his way there.

Extra point: Girard's Gate may not even be where Soon's information says it is.

On another note, there's no reason why Redcloak or Tsukiko could not be sent to Kraagor's Gate while Xykon barnstorms Girard's Gate.

Just saying. :smallbiggrin:

NerfTW
2010-08-08, 11:27 PM
While that's an interesting theory, we'd have to assume that Xykon bothered to somehow go to the other side of the world, pass within 1000 feet of Girard's gate, and then high tail it over to Kraagor's gate. Not only that, but the Order would have to either find Girard and then leave, or leave the "we're searching for Girard" plot thread dangling for 300+ strips.

Another nail in the coffin is that while Soon didn't know the EXACT location of the gate, we know it's in that desert. It's one thing to give fake directions within a featureless desert, and quite another to claim it's in an entirely different part of the world. Soon simply put his trust in Girard's directions, he's not a complete moron who had no idea where he was.

Nimrod's Son
2010-08-09, 12:04 AM
Extra point: Girard's Gate may not even be where Soon's information says it is.
That possibility is already on the table. I'd bet it's right where Serini's information says it is, though, and that's the info Xykon's going on.

While that's an interesting theory, we'd have to assume that Xykon bothered to somehow go to the other side of the world, pass within 1000 feet of Girard's gate, and then high tail it over to Kraagor's gate.
...which would involve heading more or less due west for hundreds if not thousands of miles in order to get to somewhere that's to the north of his present location. Things are going to have to get needlessly convoluted for him to NOT end up at Girard's first, aye.

factotum
2010-08-09, 01:46 AM
...which would involve heading more or less due east for hundreds if not thousands of miles in order to get to somewhere that's to the north of his present location.

I think you meant to say due west there...although the point is equally valid either way! :smallsmile:

Nimrod's Son
2010-08-09, 02:18 AM
What are you talking about? I did say west! :smallredface:

Bongos
2010-08-09, 07:50 AM
I'm inclined to believe in the possibility that Xykon just may not be able to find Girard's gate after the Oot's warning, or any of several other possibilities, and exactly as worded to the Oracle, Xykon simply comes within 1000' of Girard's gate.

Kish
2010-08-09, 08:24 AM
Ten gold says Xykon finds Girard's Gate.

Bongos
2010-08-09, 09:08 AM
Ten gold says Xykon finds Girard's Gate.

Make it 2-1 and you're on!

Kish
2010-08-09, 09:10 AM
Sure, why not?

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-08-09, 01:48 PM
I'm inclined to believe in the possibility that Xykon just may not be able to find Girard's gate after the Oot's warning, or any of several other possibilities, and exactly as worded to the Oracle, Xykon simply comes within 1000' of Girard's gate.
But Xykon doesn’t have to actually find the gate to be vulnerable to ambush. So that doesn’t matter much.