PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Saga: Mandalorians

chaosgirl
2010-08-05, 01:10 PM
Hey all,

I'm running a Star Wars Saga game for some friends around the old table top.
The game is set in the Old Republic, mostly so that the players can have a big universe to explore with out bumping in to major characters, and they can derail the timeline, with out myself having to do lots of work to figure out what would happen if Emperor Palpatine was killed before the battle of battle of yavin.

Anyways back to my question. A new player is starting next week, and he wants to be a tough as nails Mandalorian warrior.

Are there separate stats any where for Mando characters?
I know there MOST LIKELY just humans, but it seems it would be appropriate for them to get some sort of warrior related stat change

Thanks in advance

The Glyphstone
2010-08-05, 01:27 PM
They're just humans with a warrior-culture and cool armor, I think. Unless you read Karen Travis, in which case they get +9001 to all stats and kill Jedi as a free action.:smallconfused:

Disclaimer: All personal knowledge of Karen Travis and Mandalorians is second-hand.

Ranos
2010-08-05, 01:33 PM
The mandalorians are not a race, they're a movement. Any race can join up.

Dienekes
2010-08-05, 01:37 PM
Nope just a society of soldier humans who put their bonus feat in something useful for a fighting man.

Yora
2010-08-05, 01:41 PM
There's quite some stuff in the Knights of the Old Republic sourcebook, but it seems one of the most difficult Saga books to find these days.
It's mostly fluff however, and you can probably get much more of that at Wookipedia. The crunch is just some suits of armor, that are just good suits of armor, a gauntlet that deals stun damage, and some completely generic vehicle stats, which can be replaced by the stats for any other generic vehicle.

chaosgirl
2010-08-05, 01:41 PM
The mandalorians are not a race, they're a movement. Any race can join up.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I am with Dienekes on this.
I fully admit, I don't have the best knowledge of the non-movie Star Wars stuff, but in my minds eye Mandalorians are tough as nails near-human men and women that...

I don't know, shave with vibrio-blades and genetically engender toast so that it has claws and a bad attitude. Resulting in the fact that each morning they have to kill the breakfast to prove there worthy of eating it.

shiram
2010-08-05, 01:43 PM
You could decide he gets a bonus from his mandalorian training.
Or give him some great armor, maybe with some cortosis?

edit : afaik they are humans or near humans

Diarmuid
2010-08-05, 01:44 PM
We found in our Saga game recently that the rules for Mandalorian armor and whatnot differed from resource to resource. Trying to reverse engineer the NPC's in Threats of the Galaxy and trying to find rules to support the various mechanics listed for the armors was trying at best.

Yora
2010-08-05, 01:46 PM
At the KotOR era, most mandalorians are humans, but they take anyone who obeys their rules and can keep up with them.
The movement was originally started by an alien race that is a blatant ripoff of Predator, but that race has mostly died out while the movement lives on.

They are not exactly an army, and clearly not a nation. It's more like somebody storming into a tavern and yelling "Crusade!", and everyone jumps up, yells "Crusade!", runs to their ships, and heads full speed to the next planet. When all enemies are crushed and the loot stored in the holds someone asks "Move on?", and the others say "Yeah, let's move on.", and they head for the next planet.
The Mandalorian War was the exception, as the Great Mandalore decided he would like to be a conqueror and evil overlord and put all kinds of criminals and unemployed into mandalorian armor and told them to do what he says. Most old school mandalorians were not very fond of this, but when it's a crusade, it's mandalorian honor to not be a spoil sport.

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-05, 01:47 PM
Or give him some great armor, maybe with some cortosis?

Mandalorian armor is made from a material similar to cortosis. The details are in the KotOR book I believe.

afaik they are humans or near humans

I believe this varies by era.

chaosgirl
2010-08-05, 01:58 PM
Yora/Ranos Thanks for the heads up I really was unaware that it was a culture in addition to later being, I don't know, an ethnicity?

I'm enjoying the Cortosis idea, due to events that the party performed before he joined up, they have managed to annoy both the Jedi Order and the Sith, so they will be popping up as semi regular antagonists would give him a chance to shine as technologically man while the other PCs stick to there hokey religion.

EDITED DUE TO HORRID SPELLING

Bharg
2010-08-05, 02:42 PM
I think they call this material "mandalorian steel" and it can resist light sabers just like cortosis.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-08-05, 03:58 PM
I think they call this material "mandalorian steel" and it can resist light sabers just like cortosis.

Mandalorian iron, actually, not steel. More details here (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian_armor).

Platinum_Mongoose
2010-08-05, 05:00 PM
Mandalorians are like the Star Wars equivalent of Chuck Norris. Behind the helmet there isn't a face, there's just another wrist laser.

But seriously, like others have said above me, no special bonuses. Just take feats and talents that make them capital-t Tough. I'd say don't give them the iconic armor until they earn it, or if you're starting off at a higher level. There's some helpful stuff in the Old Republic Campaign Guide, if I recall correctly, and maybe in Scum and Villainy, too. (Or was it Legacy Era CG? Could someone with the books in arm's reach could spot me on this?)

hamishspence
2010-08-06, 03:44 AM
It may not be canon- but I liked the "Fett Club" comic, showing a bunch of would-be Mandalorians (including an Ewok) being "recruited" by Jango Fett. Or, at least, that's what they think when they answer the advert.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Fett_Club

Mando Knight
2010-08-06, 12:08 PM
I fully admit, I don't have the best knowledge of the non-movie Star Wars stuff, but in my minds eye Mandalorians are tough as nails near-human men and women that...

I don't know, shave with vibrio-blades and genetically engender toast so that it has claws and a bad attitude. Resulting in the fact that each morning they have to kill the breakfast to prove there worthy of eating it.

If the kid can't use a flamethrower, he doesn't deserve his toast. *nod*

The Mando'ade are officially just a culture chiefly (as of the Mandalorian Wars and later) composed of humans, who don't really care what their vode look like so long as they hold to the Resol'nare (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Six_Actions). They like others if they're honorably skilled fighters (like Revan, or Ani & Obi-Wan) or have good money. Hence why Boba was often found in the employ of Vader and Jabba.

Unofficially, they're the galaxy's biggest badasses, trading blows evenly with the galaxy's second biggest and more popular badasses without using the silly tricks that the latter use. :smallamused:

Mikal
2010-12-23, 10:54 AM
If the kid can't use a flamethrower, he doesn't deserve his toast. *nod*

The Mando'ade are officially just a culture chiefly (as of the Mandalorian Wars and later) composed of humans, who don't really care what their vode look like so long as they hold to the Resol'nare (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Six_Actions). They like others if they're honorably skilled fighters (like Revan, or Ani & Obi-Wan) or have good money. Hence why Boba was often found in the employ of Vader and Jabba.

Unofficially, they're the galaxy's biggest badasses, trading blows evenly with the galaxy's second biggest and more popular badasses without using the silly tricks that the latter use. :smallamused: most overwanked group ever by an author who quit because Lucas approved a TV show which didn't show her uberwanked warrior culture of DOOOOOOOOM.

Fixed it for you.

Psyx
2010-12-23, 11:00 AM
^ /clap.

Just let him play as a human and start him at level 20.

Tanuki Tales
2010-12-23, 11:02 AM
Fixed it for you.

In said author's defense, the new animated series and the movie that spawned it are terrible on a level that reaches Eldritch Abomination.

Dienekes
2010-12-23, 11:06 AM
In said author's defense, the new animated series and the movie that spawned it are terrible on a level that reaches Eldritch Abomination.

The movie was bad, but actually I rather like the tv show better than the prequel trilogy. While technically that comparison doesn't necessarily make it better than Eldritch Abominations I find the few episodes I've seen entertaining, if they have a few groan worthy moments.

hamishspence
2010-12-23, 11:06 AM
I didn't find the series especially bad- though I must admit I was underwhelmed by the movie.

I haven't seen the later series, with the "Duchess of Mandalore" yet though.

While it wasn't just canon changes (there was a contract dispute with the publisher as well) the canon changes were a big part of it:

http://www.karentraviss.com/html/Movingon.htm

Dienekes
2010-12-23, 11:13 AM
I didn't find the series especially bad- though I must admit I was underwhelmed by the movie.

I haven't seen the later series, with the "Duchess of Mandalore" yet though.

If you're like me and don't particularly care about how awesome the Mandalorian culture was, the Duchess of Mandalore arc was pretty well written, and delved into the Obi-wan character rather well making him more human. Also, some excellent camp particularly in Voyage of Temptation.

If you care about Mando culture it is pure evil though.

Mikal
2010-12-23, 11:18 AM
Eh, the new series isn't that bad really. I've seen worse. Not a fan of the animation style by any means tho. I think it works for what it is: A cartoon aimed primarily at tweens and kids.

Though since I'm an ardent anti-Traviss person, I will admit the show gets bonus points for helping drive her away from SW.

hamishspence
2010-12-23, 11:19 AM
Of Traviss's books- I most liked Clone Wars: No Prisoners- primarily because it wasn't about Mandalorians, or Fett.

It was about:

Pellaeon.
Callista and the Altisian Jedi.
Ahsoka & Anakin
More "normal" clones than the ARCs and the Nulls.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Clone_Wars:_No_Prisoners

Tanuki Tales
2010-12-23, 11:22 AM
The show makes heavy use of Jar-Jar Binks, especially in Hero roles. I have to go with Deadpool on this one.

Shenanigans
2010-12-23, 11:31 AM
IIRC, the most iconic and awesome of Mandalorian armor (beskar'gam, "iron skin") was presented in Scum & Villainy. Other armors were presented earlier, but none is as thrilling (or expensive) as the beskar'gam varieties. I treat it as an armor for very elite Mandalorians, while the rank and file get more standard stuff.

Also don't forget the Mandalorian talent tree for Elite Trooper. That allows for better use of armor to resist lightsabers and the like. The KOTOR book also has some Mandalorian feats (maybe just one?) that are worth looking at.

But yes, it's a culture and movement and they tend to be high-caliber tough guys. :)

Dienekes
2010-12-23, 11:34 AM
The show makes heavy use of Jar-Jar Binks, especially in Hero roles. I have to go with Deadpool on this one.

Make corny jokes about the fourth wall and randomly shoot things?

hamishspence
2010-12-23, 11:36 AM
Hey all,

I'm running a Star Wars Saga game for some friends around the old table top.
The game is set in the Old Republic, mostly so that the players can have a big universe to explore with out bumping in to major characters, and they can derail the timeline, with out myself having to do lots of work to figure out what would happen if Emperor Palpatine was killed before the battle of battle of yavin.

This sounds fun. Palpatine tested the "mind-transfer" method on Bevel Lemelisk immediately after Yavin- so, it's possible, that if he died before Yavin, there would be no clones, and no pre-prepared process, to ensure he keeps coming back.

The EU goes into some depth on the various power figures who took over after Endor- Sate Pestage (the Grand Vizier), Ysanne Isard (Director of Intelligence), various warlords like Zsinj, the Pentastar Alignment (a group of power figures who shared out a big section of the Empire) and so on.

Could be an interesting variant- to have these start coming into play four years early.

Tanuki Tales
2010-12-23, 12:05 PM
Make corny jokes about the fourth wall and randomly shoot things?

No. (http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/The_Logos/DPvsJJ.jpg)

And I'm annoyed that Hyperlink text doesn't count towards the 10 character minimum. :smallannoyed:

averagejoe
2010-12-23, 01:04 PM
The Mod They Call Me: Tread necromancy.