PDA

View Full Version : Starting gold

The Pressman
2010-08-05, 01:27 PM
What would be could for a campaign starting at level 5?

Mystic Muse
2010-08-05, 01:28 PM
Normal wealth by level as per the DMG?

The Pressman
2010-08-05, 01:29 PM
Ah, sorry. Never mind, then.

chaosgirl
2010-08-05, 01:30 PM
Honestly not sure off the top of my head, and I don't have the book on me.

But my flash drive full of GM notes tells me its on page 135, of the 3.5 GM guide

The Pressman
2010-08-05, 01:33 PM
It says 9000, and that seems a bit high to me and the DM. Is it?

Thinker
2010-08-05, 01:34 PM

It's right for buying the equipment expected of 5th level characters. They're expected to have magic items by level 5.

chaosgirl
2010-08-05, 01:37 PM

I feel ya, I'm running SW Saga right now and the amount of gear the PC's have SEEMS really high.

I have a player who's playing a hermit former Jedi, and has forsaken starting with gear other than

1) His light-saber
2) A transport ship with the Old ship and Junker templates on it.

I warned him that with out the amount of gear he should have at that level, hes going to get his tush kicked pretty often.

If you don't have the gold, to buy the gear, you don't have the gear, to fight CL threats that are appropriate to your level, with out fighting CL threats that are appropriate to your level, you cant level up ...

For want of a nail the shoe was lost. For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse ...

Fitz10019
2010-08-05, 01:42 PM
Chaosgirl is right. 9000gp buys a lot of shoes.

Diarmuid
2010-08-05, 01:47 PM
I feel ya, I'm running SW Saga right now and the amount of gear the PC's have SEEMS really high.

I have a player who's playing a hermit former Jedi, and has forsaken starting with gear other than

1) His light-saber
2) A transport ship with the Old ship and Junker templates on it.

I warned him that with out the amount of gear he should have at that level, hes going to get his tush kicked pretty often.

If you don't have the gold, to buy the gear, you don't have the gear, to fight CL threats that are appropriate to your level, with out fighting CL threats that are appropriate to your level, you cant level up ...

For want of a nail the shoe was lost. For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse ...

Are there WBL charts for Saga listed somewhere? Our group is trying out a Saga game and honestly the equipment is pretty....well...boring. Armor is completely useless, and unless you're going to have things surgically implanted in you there just seem to be so few options for "gear" other than lightsaber crystals and ships (we're all playing Jedi).

chaosgirl
2010-08-05, 02:00 PM
Are there WBL charts for Saga listed somewhere? Our group is trying out a Saga game and honestly the equipment is pretty....well...boring. Armor is completely useless, and unless you're going to have things surgically implanted in you there just seem to be so few options for "gear" other than lightsaber crystals and ships (we're all playing Jedi).

I've been using the 3.5 DM guide chart. The rest of the math translates fairly well, so I've assumed that the chart does as well, its woring pretty good for us.

the party so far is

1) Hobo Jedi with a crappy crappy ship
1) Scoundrel/Noble with an insane Use Computers score, that shows what happens when your Trained in a skill, focused in a skill, and have the linked attribute maxed out.
1) Droid with lots of shiny things I can't recall
1) Mando Warrior to be.

I've been pretty open about letting them use different options from the books to customize there gear.

Im not sure if there gear is that much more effective than ti would be if they took the "right" feats and tallents, but there all prety excited that this
"This is my blaster. There are many like it, but this one is mine. "

Telonius
2010-08-05, 02:12 PM

+1 weapon: 2300-ish
Secondary MW weapon: 300-ish
+1 armor: 1200-ish
+1 Cloak of Resistance: 1000
+1 Ring of Protection: 2000
Handy Haversack: 2000

That already puts you close to the limit, around 8800 gp, with fairly minor magic items, no healing items, and nothing to boost stats. You'll also have to buy random gear (torches, lanterns, rope, tanglefoot bags, etc), and that would probably put you up to 9000gp pretty easily. That's about what I'd expect a level-5 character to have.

The Pressman
2010-08-05, 02:15 PM
Interestingly enough, you've answered the question I asked in another thread. Thanks for the help!

The Pressman
2010-08-05, 02:23 PM
+1 weapon: 2300-ish
Secondary MW weapon: 300-ish
+1 armor: 1200-ish
+1 Cloak of Resistance: 1000
+1 Ring of Protection: 2000
Handy Haversack: 2000

That already puts you close to the limit, around 8800 gp, with fairly minor magic items, no healing items, and nothing to boost stats. You'll also have to buy random gear (torches, lanterns, rope, tanglefoot bags, etc), and that would probably put you up to 9000gp pretty easily. That's about what I'd expect a level-5 character to have.

However, where is the pricing scale for enhanced weapons?

chaosgirl
2010-08-05, 02:24 PM

The back like 8th of the DM guide is full of magic stuff.

Somewhere in there there are charts for the cost of custom built weapons/armour/doodads

Siosilvar
2010-08-05, 02:29 PM

In the SRD (or the mid-back of your DMG) (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/magicItems.htm)

Weapons is (Bonus squared)*2000gp, + 300gp (for masterwork) + base weapon cost.

Jarveiyan
2010-08-05, 05:12 PM
Chaosgirl RCR's Heroes Guide has a wbl chart on page 117. However Saga did not make such a chart I think largely do to the noble talent wealth. Add to the fact Saga is largely feat, talent, and power driven - special abilities not equipment is what makes the character.

chaosgirl
2010-08-05, 07:29 PM
Chaosgirl RCR's Heroes Guide has a wbl chart on page 117. However Saga did not make such a chart I think largely do to the noble talent wealth. Add to the fact Saga is largely feat, talent, and power driven - special abilities not equipment is what makes the character.

Oh, Jarveiyn, I know your correct. What I'm saying is that my players really enjoy the fact that there weapons and gear are unique. While not necessary more powerful than other weapons, they give the players a sense of a "signature weapon".

For instance my buddy Jon plays a former member of the Jedi order. The Jedi, after being disillusioned with the order having killed sith and mandalorians has altered his light saber and his ships weapons so that they only do Ion Damage.

Theres no doubt that the freats, skills and talents are what make the characters "heroes" but it seems to be there ability to tweek (not twink) and alter there equipment that is giving them a scene of immersion in the game.

(or that could be just because im a bad GM :P)

Tyndmyr
2010-08-05, 07:31 PM
If your players request it, playing with wildly non standard WBL can be interesting too....but yeah, you should consider that the default starting point.