PDA

View Full Version : Like a Stroke of Lightning [3.5 PrC]

Siosilvar
2010-08-05, 01:42 PM
Lightning Blade
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Iaido_drawing_08.jpg
Drawing by Rama (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Rama)

"The reason lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place is that the same place isn't there the second time." - Willie Tyler

A Lightning Blade is a warrior who knows that the art of striking first is also often the art of striking last. To this end, they have perfected that initial attack.

Requirements
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Feat: Quick Draw
Skills: Iaijutsu Focus 5 ranks
Class Abilities: Sudden Strike +1d6
Special: Must have dropped an opponent in a single blow.

Class Skills
The Lightning Blade’s class skills (and their key abilities) are: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Iaijutsu Focus (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).

A Lightning Blade gains (4 + Int modifier) skill points per level.

Hit Die: d8.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Refl|Will|Class Abilities
1st|+1|+0|+2|+0|Fast as Lightning, Sudden Strike +1d6
2nd|+2|+0|+3|+0|Curiously Strong, Threatening Stance, Sudden Strike +2d6
3rd|+3|+1|+3|+1|Quick Sheathe, Thunder Strike, Sudden Strike +3d6[/table]

Fast as Lightning (Ex)
A Lightning Blade’s first training allows them to strike as quick as the lightning that makes their name; as an immediate action, he may draw a melee weapon and make an attack with it. His target is considered flat-footed for this attack. If used against an opponent charging through a space the Lightning Blade threatens, the Lightning Blade deals double damage.
In addition, a Lightning Blade may add his class level to any Initiative checks he makes.

Sudden Strike (Ex)
Whenever a Lightning Blade attacks an unaware opponent, he may deal additional damage. He deals an additional 1d6 damage per Lightning Blade level whenever he attacks an opponent denied their Dexterity bonus to AC. This ability may only be used with a melee weapon.

Curiously Strong (Ex)
Whenever a Lightning Blade of at least 2nd level makes a Sudden Strike, he may take a penalty on their attack roll (up to -5) and add the same number to every Sudden Strike die he rolls. This ability may be used after determining the result of an attack.
If the Lightning Blade would miss as a result of using this ability when he would otherwise hit, he still hits but does no extra damage.

Threatening Stance (Ex)
A Lightning Blade of at least 2nd level threatens within their normal melee range so long as they have a weapon that they can access and use Fast as Lightning with.

Quick Sheathe (Ex)
A Lightning Blade of at least 3rd level may sheathe or put away their weapon as a free action, ready to strike again. They may not sheathe their weapon before attacking or between attacks in a full attack.

Thunder Strike (Su)
A 3rd-level Lightning Blade lives up to the name, capable of making an attack so fast that it is like a stroke of lightning. He may choose to have all weapon damage made while using Fast as Lightning to become half electricity damage and half fire damage.
While using a Thunder Strike, a sonic boom is created. All creatures and unattended objects (with the exception of the Lightning Blade himself) within a five-foot radius of the target of the attack must make a Reflex save (DC 15 + the Lightning Blade’s Dexterity modifier) or take sonic damage equal to his Dexterity score plus any dodge bonuses to his armor class.

Quicksilver Cleave
Prerequisites: Str 13, Cleave, Fast as Lightning
Benefit: Whenever you make an attack granted by Cleave, you may treat it as an attack granted by Fast as Lightning (including the target becoming flat-footed for that attack).

Machiavellian
2010-08-05, 01:49 PM
This class is excellent at hurting people, and is essentially exclusive to Samurai and Swashbuckler/Factotum. Basically, if you did an OA samurai who went into this and then took Iaijutsu Master, he'd kill anything with essentially one hit. VERY good.

Morph Bark
2010-08-05, 01:57 PM
How often is Fast Lightning useable? Because if it is at-will, then they could just get a load of weapons, drop the weapon they were holding at the start and the end of their turn, and nab Sudden Strike damage + Iaijutsu damage on nearly every attack they make, many of which aren't even on their own turn. Which won't be as much necessary once they reach level 3. Perhaps make it 1/encounter?

Thunder Strike's sonic armour/Dexterity-based damage doesn't make sense to me at all, especially since the weaker the armour the more Dex it allows and the more damage it would deal, whilst with no armour at all he might likely deal less. The sonic boom thing makes me moreso think it'd be an effect similar to a Thunderstone, forcing others to make Fort saves rather than take sonic damage.

The fire and electricity damage is pretty slick though.

I can see Ninjas wanting this class very badly.

EDIT:

This class is excellent at hurting people, and is essentially exclusive to Samurai and Swashbuckler/Factotum. Basically, if you did an OA samurai who went into this and then took Iaijutsu Master, he'd kill anything with essentially one hit. VERY good.

Factotum/this/Iaijutsu Master would be even worse since Factotum can nab extra Sneak Attack to boot...

How so Swashbuckler though? They don't get Iaijutsu Focus. :smallconfused:

Siosilvar
2010-08-05, 02:07 PM
This class is excellent at hurting people, and is essentially exclusive to Samurai and Swashbuckler/Factotum. Basically, if you did an OA samurai who went into this and then took Iaijutsu Master, he'd kill anything with essentially one hit. VERY good.So you're level... 13? 91 damage every round is probably about on par with the charger. Do note that's assuming a +3 Charisma bonus and you can hit a 50+ skill check reliably.

How often is Fast Lightning useable? Because if it is at-will, then they could just get a load of weapons, drop the weapon they were holding at the start and the end of their turn, and nab Sudden Strike damage + Iaijutsu damage on nearly every attack they make, many of which aren't even on their own turn. Which won't be as much necessary once they reach level 3. Perhaps make it 1/encounter?If you have a bunch of weapons, feel free. It's one attack per round because it uses your immediate/swift action.

Thunder Strike's sonic armour/Dexterity-based damage doesn't make sense to me at all, especially since the weaker the armour the more Dex it allows and the more damage it would deal, whilst with no armour at all he might likely deal less. The sonic boom thing makes me moreso think it'd be an effect similar to a Thunderstone, forcing others to make Fort saves rather than take sonic damage.The weaker the armor and higher the max Dex bonus, the more... nonrestrictive? Thus you can swing faster.

Plus, if you're not wearing at least padded armor, you probably have a Dexterity score of more than 26 -or- Wis to AC or somesuch.

Yeah, I was considering some sort of Fortitude save effect, but couldn't think of anything. So I just went with sonic damage.

The fire and electricity damage is pretty slick though.

I can see Ninjas wanting this class very badly.Hah. Thanks.

Morph Bark
2010-08-05, 02:14 PM
The weaker the armor and higher the max Dex bonus, the more... nonrestrictive? Thus you can swing faster.

Plus, if you're not wearing at least padded armor, you probably have a Dexterity score of more than 26 -or- Wis to AC or somesuch.

Still, it's better to include that it can't be more than your own Dex bonus, because not everyone will have it that high, or it might get lowered somehow.

Hah. Thanks.

You're welcome. To be honest, when I saw this, I thought of it as an improvement of a PrC I already quite liked, and that last ability made me think of the times I saw that in video games and television series. Abilities that are useful, appropriate and cinematic make for the best ones.

arguskos
2010-08-05, 02:36 PM
Lightning Blade
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Iaido_drawing_08.jpg
Drawing by Rama (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Rama)

"The reason lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place is that the same place isn't there the second time." - Willie Tyler
Heh, like the quote.

Requirements
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Skills: Iaijutsu Focus 4 ranks
This is disturbingly easy to enter, but ok (cross-class ranks, Expert, Factotum, etc).

Class Skills
The Lightning Blade’s class skills (and their key abilities) are: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Iaijutsu Focus (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).

Lolskills. Looks fine. Not sure why they get Concentration, but ok.

Hit Die: d8.
Look Ma, d8s!

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Refl|Will|Class Abilities
1st|+1|+0|+2|+0|Fast as Lightning, Sudden Strike +1d6
2nd|+2|+0|+3|+0|Curiously Strong, Threatening Stance, Sudden Strike +2d6
3rd|+3|+1|+3|+1|Quick Sheathe, Thunder Strike, Sudden Strike +3d6[/table]
First curiosity. You don't see many 3 level PrCs. Not a BAD thing, just a curious one. Why the decision to keep it under 5? You could easily expand this into a 5-level class.

Fast as Lightning (Ex)
A Lightning Blade’s first training allows them to strike as quick as the lightning that makes their name; as an immediate action, he may draw a melee weapon and make an attack with it. His target is considered flat-footed for this attack. If used against an opponent charging through a space the Lightning Blade threatens, the Lightning Blade deals double damage.
In addition, a Lightning Blade may add his class level to any Initiative checks he makes.
I like the feel and mechanics. The Immediate Action limits it significantly, which is good.

Sudden Strike (Ex)
Whenever a Lightning Blade attacks an unaware opponent, he may deal additional damage. He deals an additional 1d6 damage per Lightning Blade level whenever he attacks an opponent denied their Dexterity bonus to AC. This ability may only be used with a melee weapon.
This varies from the Ninja's Sudden Strike. Was this intentional?

Curiously Strong (Ex)
Whenever a Lightning Blade of at least 2nd level makes a Sudden Strike, he may take a penalty on their attack roll (up to -5) and add the same number to every Sudden Strike die he rolls. This ability may be used after determining the result of an attack.
Big issue. The timing here is HIGHLY irregular. I know of nothing that lets you make such a choice AFTER determining if you hit or not, and seems frankly pretty hax. I don't like that you get that choice. I'd suggest it be changed to before you know the results. Since it's a Sudden Strike, hitting should be easier anyways (lower AC on average). Now, if you WANT that assured damage, just give them class level x2 to each Sudden Strike die. Same effect overall.

Also, what happens if you connect, then deduct enough to change your roll to a miss? Does it retroactively become a miss? This causes too many issues, and would be better off changed, IMO.

Cool flavor though. :smallcool:

Threatening Stance (Ex)
A Lightning Blade of at least 2nd level threatens within their normal melee range so long as they have a weapon that they can access and use Fast as Lightning with.
Nice. I like it.

Quick Sheathe (Ex)
A Lightning Blade of at least 3rd level may sheathe or put away their weapon as a swift action, ready to strike again.
Reminder: using an immediate action eats your swift for this turn (if unused) or your swift for next turn. Why not make this a free action, to play nicely with Fast as Lightning?

Thunder Strike (Su)
A 3rd-level Lightning Blade lives up to the name, capable of making an attack so fast that it is like a stroke of lightning. He may choose to have all weapon damage made while using Fast as Lightning to become half electricity damage and half fire damage.
While using a Thunder Strike, a sonic boom is created. All creatures and unattended objects (with the exception of the Lightning Blade himself) within a five-foot radius of the target of the attack must make a Reflex save (DC 15 + the Lightning Blade’s Dexterity modifier) or take sonic damage equal to twice the maximum Dexterity bonus allowed by his armor. If the Lightning Blade is wearing no armor, the damage is equal to his Dexterity score plus any dodge bonuses to his armor class.
I like the elec/fire damage.

I don't like the sonic damage=2x Max Dex thing. It's clunky and detracts from the ability. This is all about being FAST, right? So lets make the ability fast to use, right? I'd suggest you change it to the Lightning Blade's Dex score in sonic damage. Yeah, it's a flat number, but it's easy to figure out and plays well with the "he's so ****ing fast he broke your stuff by swinging a sword across the room".

Overall, I like it though. Good work.

Siosilvar
2010-08-05, 02:57 PM
This is disturbingly easy to enter, but ok (cross-class ranks, Expert, Factotum, etc). I had nothing else to add. I'd like to add other requirements, but can think of nothing that fits.

Lolskills. Looks fine. Not sure why they get Concentration, but ok. Ah... that was a class ability I didn't add.

First curiosity. You don't see many 3 level PrCs. Not a BAD thing, just a curious one. Why the decision to keep it under 5? You could easily expand this into a 5-level class. Because as a fighting style, it didn't feel right to make a 5-level class out of it. This class could just as easily be a tactical feat.

Or a "Stepped" class, with a bunch of 1-level PrCs with different requirements each (possibly) needing the previous, but that's a mechanic for another time.

This varies from the Ninja's Sudden Strike. Was this intentional?If you're referring to the melee-only and higher progression, then yes.

-Curiously Strong commentary- The choice after is mostly to make it not "Power Sneak Attack". There was really no other reason for it, aside from that it made sense in my head.

If you make yourself miss after the fact, you should still hit but without any extra damage.

Reminder: using an immediate action eats your swift for this turn (if unused) or your swift for next turn. Why not make this a free action, to play nicely with Fast as Lightning?Iaijutsu Focus shenanigans, mostly.

Free action that can't be used before or during a full attack?

I don't like the sonic damage=2x Max Dex thing. It's clunky and detracts from the ability. This is all about being FAST, right? So lets make the ability fast to use, right? I'd suggest you change it to the Lightning Blade's Dex score in sonic damage. Yeah, it's a flat number, but it's easy to figure out and plays well with the "he's so ****ing fast he broke your stuff by swinging a sword across the room". May take out the max dex bonus, but then you have a plate-mail-armored warrior swinging a sword faster than is physically possible instead of an unarmored warrior swinging a sword faster than is physically possible. Not a bad thing, but doesn't really fit what I see as the archetype here.

arguskos
2010-08-05, 03:19 PM
I had nothing else to add. I'd like to add other requirements, but can think of nothing that fits.
...hmm. Perhaps you have to have Sudden Strike already? That'd be a quick fix.

Ah... that was a class ability I didn't add.
I do that all the time. :smallbiggrin:

Because as a fighting style, it didn't feel right to make a 5-level class out of it. This class could just as easily be a tactical feat.

Or a "Stepped" class, with a bunch of 1-level PrCs with different requirements each (possibly) needing the previous, but that's a mechanic for another time.
See, that's fair, I guess, but then I have to wonder, why'd you make it a PrC at all? Bit of curiosity really.

If you're referring to the melee-only and higher progression, then yes.
Was just checking it wasn't a goof.

The choice after is mostly to make it not "Power Sneak Attack". There was really no other reason for it, aside from that it made sense in my head.
Eh. I don't see the issue with making a Power Sudden Strike actually. Fits with the Lightning thing too (lightning is powerful and sudden, but doesn't always connect after all). Your call though.

If you make yourself miss after the fact, you should still hit but without any extra damage.
That needs to be stated if the ability doesn't change, since, well, it's not clear currently.

Iaijutsu Focus shenanigans, mostly.

Free action that can't be used before or during a full attack?
I'd say that works well.

May take out the max dex bonus, but then you have a plate-mail-armored warrior swinging a sword faster than is physically possible instead of an unarmored warrior swinging a sword faster than is physically possible. Not a bad thing, but doesn't really fit what I see as the archetype here.
Well, make Fast as Lightning only function while unarmored then. You get the incentive to be unarmored, and Thunder Strike can be tweaked to be less paperwork.

Siosilvar
2010-08-05, 03:25 PM
...hmm. Perhaps you have to have Sudden Strike already? That'd be a quick fix.Perhaps. Actually... there's an idea.

I do that all the time. :smallbiggrin:I can't remember what it was... probably have to look at my skill-based magic notes to remember. Think I got the idea from something I wrote down there.

See, that's fair, I guess, but then I have to wonder, why'd you make it a PrC at all? Bit of curiosity really.I felt like it. :smalltongue:

Eh. I don't see the issue with making a Power Sudden Strike actually. Fits with the Lightning thing too (lightning is powerful and sudden, but doesn't always connect after all). Your call though.

That needs to be stated if the ability doesn't change, since, well, it's not clear currently.Yeah, yeah, I know. I'll see how it looks once I change that.

Well, make Fast as Lightning only function while unarmored then. You get the incentive to be unarmored, and Thunder Strike can be tweaked to be less paperwork.Yeah, but nothing else requires you to be unarmored... Hah. :smallsigh: Now I'm just being pedantic.

arguskos
2010-08-05, 03:42 PM
Perhaps. Actually... there's an idea.
Yay I helped!

Yeah, yeah, I know. I'll see how it looks once I change that.
I dunno, just throwing thoughts out there.

Yeah, but nothing else requires you to be unarmored... Hah. :smallsigh: Now I'm just being pedantic.
Yeah, maybe a little bit. :smalltongue:

Siosilvar
2010-08-05, 03:48 PM
Added a feat at the bottom for Cleave support.

...I'm liking the idea of stepped PrCs more and more, but they're just the next step up from fighter bonus feats.

arguskos
2010-08-05, 03:50 PM
Added a feat at the bottom for Cleave support.

...I'm liking the idea of stepped PrCs more and more, but they're just the next step up from fighter bonus feats.
Yeah, though it could be an interesting idea. Worth a try, no?

Siosilvar
2010-08-05, 04:34 PM
Yeah, though it could be an interesting idea. Worth a try, no?

Here, give me a bit...

EDIT: Never mind. I'll probably start a new thread for the staggered PrC concept.

EDIT2: Or not. Every G on the table stands for a good save (+1/2, +2 for first level) and every P is a poor save (+1/3).

A Staggered Prestige Class is similar to a regular prestige class, but all the levels have different prerequisites - just because you took the first level does not automatically qualify you for the second. Additionally, the levels may be taken in any order.

Base Prerequisites
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Skills: Iaijutsu Focus 4 ranks
Class Abilities: Sudden Strike +1d6

Class Skills

{table=head]Additional Prerequisites|Hit Die|BAB|Fort|Refl|Will|Class Abilities
|d8|+1|P|G|P|Fast as Lightning, Sudden Strike +1d6
Fast as Lightning|d8|+1|P|G|P|Quick Sheathe, Threatening Stance, Sudden Strike +1d6
Cleave, Fast as Lightning|d8|+1|G|G|P|Quicksilver Cleave
BAB +6|d10|+1|P|G|P|Curiously Strong, Sudden Strike +1d6
Concentration 6 ranks, Iaijutsu Focus 6 ranks|d8|+1|P|G|G|Combat Focus
BAB +8, Fast as Lightning|d8|+1|P|G|P|Thunder Strike, Sudden Strike +1d6
[/table]

Combat Focus
As a move action, a Lightning Blade may make a Concentration check with a DC of 15. If he succeeds on the check, he gains a +2 bonus to the next Iaijutsu Focus check he makes.
This bonus stacks with itself, but may be no greater than the Lightning Blade’s rank in Concentration or his rank in Iaijutsu Focus.

All other class abilities are described above - with the exception of Thunder Strike. Thunder Strike's DC is changed to (10 + Lightning Blade levels + Dex mod).

Zeofar
2010-08-05, 06:24 PM
I don't have much to say in terms of recommendations or power level, but I have to say - To me, this class is just about perfectly made. The idea, flavor, and execution just coalesce into a totally brilliant product. It looks well-built, is simple to understand, and doesn't require rampant meta gaming to be obviously good. I especially like the way that you took something from the real world, but still made it even more interesting and unique, adding just enough of a fantasy element to perfect it for an RPG.

The only thing I find a bit odd is, as arguskos mentioned, the way that Curiously Strong works. Especially with the addition that it will still hit even if you "overuse" the ability, it seems strange that you wouldn't just make the user determine the penalty beforehand. Otherwise, it just makes more sense to automatically make it do the most damage it can, with the player's option to dial it down if they want.

As a suggestion, you might want to special requirement to be changed from "must have dropped an opponent in a single blow" to "must have dropped an opponent of (equal / within two) HD of yourself" or, less mechanically, "must have (dropped / defeated) a worthy opponent in a single blow." Then again, none of those really take into account the opponent's status previous to the attack, and special requirements are often bypassed/changed, so it doesn't really matter.

Anyhow, I really hope I get a chance to use this sometime.

Lix Lorn
2010-08-05, 06:31 PM
This class is utterly awesome.
I'm also putting that quote in my sig.

Siosilvar
2010-08-05, 09:24 PM
I don't have much to say in terms of recommendations or power level, but I have to say - To me, this class is just about perfectly made. The idea, flavor, and execution just coalesce into a totally brilliant product. It looks well-built, is simple to understand, and doesn't require rampant meta gaming to be obviously good. I especially like the way that you took something from the real world, but still made it even more interesting and unique, adding just enough of a fantasy element to perfect it for an RPG.

This class is utterly awesome.
I'm also putting that quote in my sig.

I suppose I'm better at this homebrewing thing than I thought...

The only thing I find a bit odd is, as arguskos mentioned, the way that Curiously Strong works. Especially with the addition that it will still hit even if you "overuse" the ability, it seems strange that you wouldn't just make the user determine the penalty beforehand. Otherwise, it just makes more sense to automatically make it do the most damage it can, with the player's option to dial it down if they want.Hence the Altoids-based title. Tis curious. :smallwink:

As a suggestion, you might want to special requirement to be changed from "must have dropped an opponent in a single blow" to "must have dropped an opponent of (equal / within two) HD of yourself" or, less mechanically, "must have (dropped / defeated) a worthy opponent in a single blow." Then again, none of those really take into account the opponent's status previous to the attack, and special requirements are often bypassed/changed, so it doesn't really matter. True. And the special requirement was just tacked on at the end, so...

But tell me, how often do you see characters of above level 3ish drop opponents in a single blow? And how many below don't?