PDA

View Full Version : After Belkar dies...

Thorcrest
2010-08-05, 01:59 PM
I've seen many threads about Belkar dying, but can't seem to find any on what people think The Order will do after he dies.

Will they replace him with another fighting type? Someone who can actually track? Mr. Scruffy?

Will they simply shrug?

It just bugged me that so many people were talking about dying now (No its at the End that he dies! We Love Belkar) or whenever, but never about what they will do when he dies... unless you think he will be undead since he will then be following them around... I guess...

Marnath
2010-08-05, 02:32 PM
I've seen it suggested that maybe Tarquin or Ganji joins up with them.

SPoD
2010-08-05, 02:36 PM
After Belkar dies, the rest of the OOTS will turn to the reader, bow, and the words "THE END" will appear. Or some similar indication that the comic is over, because I believe that's where we'll be when Belkar dies.

Mystic Muse
2010-08-05, 02:37 PM
Redcloak joins them. Hey, I can have crazy theories too can't I?

LuPuWei
2010-08-05, 03:02 PM
Kobolds everywhere rejoice!

GSFB
2010-08-05, 03:07 PM
concur with the belief that Belkar's death will be at or near the end of the series.

my prediction:

Belkar's death will be a sacrifice that saves the Order (and the universe). It will be the end result of his "character growth." In good writing, things happen for a reason. We have every reason to think Giant has planned for something big to happen that uses Belkar's character growth in conjunction with his foretold demise.

Haruki-kun
2010-08-05, 03:08 PM
Redcloak joins them. Hey, I can have crazy theories too can't I?

Actually, that's not so bad.....<.<

Mystic Muse
2010-08-05, 03:09 PM
Actually, that's not so bad.....<.<

Not as bad as some, and possible, but it's not plausible.

EDIT: If this were to happen Redcloak would have to betray Xykon at Girard's gate. At Serini's it would be too late.

Morty
2010-08-05, 03:10 PM
They will do something we can't possibly predict due to the fact that we have no idea about the circumstances of Belkar's death and only know that it will happen in a certain in-comic time. However, I think that the most likely scenario, given what we do know is that they'll say something along the lines of "good riddance" and continue their quest.

factotum
2010-08-05, 03:28 PM
Dunno where you've been looking, but I've seen all sorts of speculation about who or what will replace Belkar once he shuffles off this mortal coil. There was a big thing a few weeks back suggesting that Gannji and Enor would join the Order in Belkar's place, for example.

TheMac04
2010-08-05, 03:32 PM
I'm thinking Ganjii might if him and Roy end up bonding by the end of the gladiator arc.

Lycan 01
2010-08-05, 03:35 PM
I'd actually love for Ganji and/or Enor, or Tarquin to be Belkar's replacement, IF he were to die anytime soon. Don't get me wrong, I love Belkar. But they're three of my favorite NPCs, and I'd love for them to become PCs, or at least "major NPCs with plot armor" like Celia or O-Chul. :smalltongue:

TheMac04
2010-08-05, 03:36 PM
I'd actually love for Ganji and/or Enor, or Tarquin to be Belkar's replacement, IF he were to die anytime soon. Don't get me wrong, I love Belkar. But they're three of my favorite NPCs, and I'd love for them to become PCs, or at least "major NPCs with plot armor" like Celia or O-Chul. :smalltongue:
I think Tarquin is too old for adventuring now. Malack is my favorite NPC, but the team already has a cleric....

Lycan 01
2010-08-05, 03:38 PM
Ganji makes the most sense. If Enor dies in the arena (which would make me sad, but whatever...) he'd pretty much be left without any options, since his bounty hunting days are over without his best buddy/muscular brute to back him up. So if he were given the choice to join the Order, I think he'd at least consider it...

TheMac04
2010-08-05, 03:40 PM
Ganji makes the most sense. If Enor dies in the arena (which would make me sad, but whatever...) he'd pretty much be left without any options, since his bounty hunting days are over without his best buddy/muscular brute to back him up. So if he were given the choice to join the Order, I think he'd at least consider it...
This depends entirely on how The Giant decides to portray him in the gladiator scenes. At the moment, he's very hostile towards Roy and Belkar.

Lycan 01
2010-08-05, 03:43 PM
This is true. But if he possesses the potential character developement to become more accepting of Roy or Belkar, that would at least make him a more likely candidate for PC-hood.

Theoretically, of course. There's really no way of knowing how this will work out. He may die in three strips. He may pop back up three hundred from now. Its just fun to ponder. :smalltongue:

TheMac04
2010-08-05, 03:44 PM
This is true. But if he possesses the potential character developement to become more accepting of Roy or Belkar, that would at least make him a more likely candidate for PC-hood.

Theoretically, of course. There's really no way of knowing how this will work out. He may die in three strips. He may pop back up three hundred from now. Its just fun to ponder. :smalltongue:
Theoretically, Belkar probably won't be replaced at all.

Lycan 01
2010-08-05, 03:47 PM
But theoretically, this storyline may continue on for quite some time, and doesn't he only have a month in-comic left? I think him dying mid-story would be a perfect dramatic/tragic twist. And theoretically, somebody may join the party to fill his empty spot.

What's Ganji's class? :smallconfused: Isn't he at least skilled at Tracking? So, theoretically, he'd actually make a decent replacement for an Evil Ranger.

TheMac04
2010-08-05, 03:48 PM
But theoretically, this storyline may continue on for quite some time, and doesn't he only have a month in-comic left? I think him dying mid-story would be a perfect dramatic/tragic twist. And theoretically, somebody may join the party to fill his empty spot.

What's Ganji's class? :smallconfused: Isn't he at least skilled at Tracking? So, theoretically, he'd actually make a decent replacement for an Evil Ranger.
I'm pretty sure it was said somewhere that he's a ranger.

Lycan 01
2010-08-05, 03:51 PM
So he's an (I think, could be wrong) Evil Ranger skilled at tracking and in possession of very sarcastic wit and a love of insulting people.

Yeah, theoretically, I think he'd fill Belkar's role relatively well.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see the Arena turns out. :smallconfused:

Kish
2010-08-05, 03:54 PM
I'm pretty sure it was said somewhere that he's a ranger.
No.

Gannji is probably not a spellcaster due to not having cast any spells, but that's all we know.

super dark33
2010-08-05, 03:59 PM
the replacement:

binky:the kobold ranger who is nice and jolly!

137beth
2010-08-05, 04:19 PM
concur with the belief that Belkar's death will be at or near the end of the series.

my prediction:

Belkar's death will be a sacrifice that saves the Order (and the universe). It will be the end result of his "character growth." In good writing, things happen for a reason. We have every reason to think Giant has planned for something big to happen that uses Belkar's character growth in conjunction with his foretold demise.

Lol, maybe at the end, one person needs to be sacrificed (like kraagor!) and they all argue over who it is. Belkar says elan should be sacrificed, but everyone else says it should be belkar. So Belkar is turned to stone like kraagor was, and the remaining 5 PCs rebuild the gates.

veti
2010-08-05, 04:44 PM
If Belkar gets replaced, my money says his replacement won't be any of the following:

Evil
A ranger
A halfling or kobold

The reason being, it would be too much like a rerun of Belkar.

Look at it this way: when Roy died, he was replaced by Celia. I think that's the kind of level of character shift we should be expecting.

brilliantlight
2010-08-05, 04:45 PM
They will do something we can't possibly predict due to the fact that we have no idea about the circumstances of Belkar's death and only know that it will happen in a certain in-comic time. However, I think that the most likely scenario, given what we do know is that they'll say something along the lines of "good riddance" and continue their quest.

Agreed, as Belkar is clearly the most expendable PC in the whole strip.

Bongos
2010-08-05, 04:50 PM
Someone we haven't met yet more than likely, if he gets replaced at all. Maybe another fighter type, maybe something new.

Seems like Rich enjoys introducing new and interesting characters, so my guess is if he does replace Belkar, it will be the introduction of someone new rather than recycling someone already introduced.

If Rich uses someone already mentioned, I'd go with Girard, he has good reason to go on a quest to protect the rifts as that is already his current mission.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-05, 05:00 PM
I'm not sure what the order will do, but I'm sure following his death there's gonna be a few threads, tons of posts, and a wave of controversy hitting these forums for the next few weeks.

Ankhman
2010-08-05, 06:20 PM
i'm still not sure, he'll really die and be replaced .. the oracle said "he'll draw his last breath .." if i remember right ... there are lots of options for characters to be still in the game and have no need for breathing anymore.

the lowest may be "become undead" following by some other ..

Mystic Muse
2010-08-05, 06:31 PM
i'm still not sure, he'll really die and be replaced .. the oracle said "he'll draw his last breath .." if i remember right ... there are lots of options for characters to be still in the game and have no need for breathing anymore.

the lowest may be "become undead" following by some other ..

There's also "Not long for this world" and "Shouldn't bother funding his IRA"

TheMac04
2010-08-05, 08:36 PM
If Belkar gets replaced, my money says his replacement won't be any of the following:

Evil
A ranger
A halfling or kobold

The reason being, it would be too much like a rerun of Belkar.

Look at it this way: when Roy died, he was replaced by Celia. I think that's the kind of level of character shift we should be expecting.
Personality should definitely be different, and probably race as well, but the party still needs another ranger, I would think.

Kish
2010-08-05, 09:27 PM
Personality should definitely be different, and probably race as well, but the party still needs another ranger, I would think.
Why? "Ranger" isn't exactly a core role, like "healer," "arcane spellcaster," or "meat shield." Roy wanted another frontline fighter, but he was originally going to recruit a monk for the party slot Belkar took. If the role "tracker" is sufficiently important, Roy can exceed Belkar's level of skill by taking the Track feat and simply not having a Wisdom penalty. The Order of the Scribble's tracker was a mostly-spellcaster with a two-level ranger dip.

So, if Belkar has a replacement, it will likely be: A frontline fighter of some sort. Beyond that, no guarantees.

Bongos
2010-08-05, 09:59 PM
a non-breathing, cake eating, IRA investing being from another world or dimension?

iDM
2010-08-05, 10:11 PM
Hmmmm. While these are all intriguing ideas, I think it's most likely that Belkar won't be replaced at all. Although I can't presume to know Mr. Burlew's trains of thought, it seems to me that if an NPC were brought in to fill his place, pre-existing or not, they wouldn't match up to Belkar. He is, after all, a sexy shoeless god of war, and how can you replace that?

GSFB
2010-08-05, 11:04 PM
I stand by my earlier prediction. However, if wrong, then the only character we have seen thus far who could possibly fill the role would be:

:thog:

Yendor
2010-08-05, 11:14 PM
Belkar will be replaced with a pile of smoldering dust. This will, at least, improve his usefulness in tracking, as you can use him to dust for prints.

BridgeCity
2010-08-05, 11:45 PM
I would think that, if Belkar is replaced, it would be Ganji. I don't think he is evil, just bitter and unfriendly.

O-Chul wouldn't be a bad addition either, in my mind, and he should have a pretty big grudge against Xykon and Redcloak now. Adding him could also lead to interesting situations when the MitD is finally revelaed and ordered to attack the Order. If O-Chul was a member it would be a nice conflicting moment for the monster.

Acero
2010-08-05, 11:49 PM
Right-Eye's Daughter, who is a Paladin and Belkar's killer.

factotum
2010-08-06, 01:30 AM
You forgot that she's also Thog's sister and a worshipper of Tiamat...oh, think of the jolly japes that friction would cause! :smallwink:

Nimrod's Son
2010-08-06, 06:11 AM
So Belkar is turned to stone like kraagor was, and the remaining 5 PCs rebuild the gates.
Um, Kraagor wasn't turned to stone. They just built a statue of him in his memory.

MarkusWolfe
2010-08-06, 06:44 AM
I forget; which class and race was Kraagor...and was there a reason the Order of the Scribble opted to sacrifice him?

As for Belkar.....you could never replace him, not even with Enor.

hamishspence
2010-08-06, 06:47 AM
He was a dwarven barbarian- they had the last rift, with the Snarl reaching out toward Kraagor (may have been grappling him) and they (on Soon's instruction) chose to seal the rift anyway.

At least, thats what it looks like in the strip.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html

The Succubus
2010-08-06, 06:56 AM
Ummm...what's going to happen to Mr Scruffy when Belkar dies?

hamishspence
2010-08-06, 06:58 AM
In a DStP bonus strip, Hinjo states that when Belkar finally gets his year in jail, he will look after Mr Scruffy.

This might apply if Belkar dies, as well.

sihnfahl
2010-08-06, 08:49 AM
I forget; which class and race was Kraagor...and was there a reason the Order of the Scribble opted to sacrifice him?
Lirian believed both of them would be caught in the area of the sealing spell. Soon was willing to sacrifice himself and Kraagor in order to save the world.

It could just as easily have been Soon killed and Kraagor free...

BadAndyMk3
2010-08-06, 09:09 AM
Lirian believed both of them would be caught in the area of the sealing spell. Soon was willing to sacrifice himself and Kraagor in order to save the world.

It could just as easily have been Soon killed and Kraagor free...

Which makes sense, considering Girard's statement that "It shoudl have been you who died".

iDM
2010-08-06, 10:13 AM
Which makes sense, considering Girard's statement that "It shoudl have been you who died".

It might happen that Girard, thinking that the Order of the Stick are Soon's paladins, would kill Belkar, in which case he may join the Order after they explain why they are there... Girard may hate Soon, but he would still want to protect the Gates, right?

However, I still don't think it probable that Belkar will be replaced.

Kish
2010-08-06, 10:17 AM
It might happen that Girard, thinking that the Order of the Stick are Soon's paladins, would kill Belkar, in which case he may join the Order after they explain why they are there... Girard may hate Soon, but he would still want to protect the Gates, right?
Aside from the sheer unlikeliness of the Order getting an epic-level member anytime soon, that's optimally calculated to make a bad introduction, isn't it?

"I killed one of your group members, but it was a misunderstanding. I didn't know he was a vile little rat, I thought he was a paladin."

Ancalagon
2010-08-06, 10:21 AM
Q: "I see your group lacks a mage, can I join?"
A: "Sure"

seems to work as well in some parts of the world. ;)

Girard won't join the order. He's a piece of the past, the Order is the future. If anything, Girard will get smoked by Xykon (if he is not already dead due to Vaarsuvius Stunt with the Dragons or some other reason (as... age)).

iDM
2010-08-06, 11:11 AM
Q: "I see your group lacks a mage, can I join?"
A: "Sure"

seems to work as well in some parts of the world. ;)

Girard won't join the order. He's a piece of the past, the Order is the future. If anything, Girard will get smoked by Xykon (if he is not already dead due to Vaarsuvius Stunt with the Dragons or some other reason (as... age)).

I agree that Girard joining the Order is highly unlikely, I was simply postulaing it as possible. And I'm pretty sure that Girard is alive- remember the scrying sensor in #698?

Bongos
2010-08-06, 11:18 AM
Ummm...what's going to happen to Mr Scruffy when Belkar dies?

Mr. Scruffy will go back and rule Azure City again.

Mutant Sheep
2010-08-07, 07:52 AM
Belkar dies helping Tarquin fight Haley's dad's army which invades, (another) family reunion, and Haley's dad joins!:smallbiggrin:

Nimrod's Son
2010-08-07, 10:08 PM
I agree that Girard joining the Order is highly unlikely, I was simply postulaing it as possible. And I'm pretty sure that Girard is alive- remember the scrying sensor in #698?
The general consensus is that whoever was scrying on the Order can't be Girard, since the dweomer surrounding the eye is green and Girard's is purple. It could easily be someone working for him, though.

Marnath
2010-08-07, 10:18 PM
Belkar will be replaced with a pile of smoldering dust. This will, at least, improve his usefulness in tracking, as you can use him to dust for prints.

At first i was liek :smallconfused:
Den i loled :smallbiggrin:
But seriously, i like the idea of O-chul joining the order. But on the other hand, it would throw off the balance to have an entirely competent member.