PDA

View Full Version : I Got Lazored!

Haruki-kun
2010-08-05, 02:05 PM
You guys aren't gonna believe this!

So there's this crazy guy who wears a white robe and he shoots lazors into people's eyes so they don't need glasses anymore!

So I asked him to shoot me, and he did. It's awesome!

No more glasses! WOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Marnath
2010-08-05, 02:08 PM
Lol wut? :smallconfused: I sure hope you mean a doctor, because if it really was some random guy i have to say aiming a laser into someones eye is really dangerous.

Giggling Ghast
2010-08-05, 02:09 PM
Yeah, laser surgery is great. But what they don't tell you is that at the ten-year mark, your eyes pop out.

Lol wut? :smallconfused: I sure hope you mean a doctor, because if it really was some random guy i have to say aiming a laser into someones eye is really dangerous.

No doubt he had one of those "back alley" laser surgeries. Haruki's just too embarrassed to tell us about how he woke up in a bathtub full of ice with one of his kidneys removed.

Haruki-kun
2010-08-05, 02:15 PM

Sarcasm. :smallwink:

Thorcrest
2010-08-05, 02:19 PM
Sorry, I can't read your thread, I am too busy adjusting my glasses so they don't fall off :smalltongue:

Starscream
2010-08-05, 02:21 PM
Yay for vision!

Although looking at your avatar, I'd say maybe the inability to see stems from your helmet being in front of your eyes. Did he laser a couple of holes in it?

Haruki-kun
2010-08-05, 02:23 PM
Yay for vision!

Although looking at your avatar, I'd say maybe the inability to see stems from your helmet being in front of your eyes. Did he laser a couple of holes in it?

Oh, no. Don't ever question people's avvies. It's like questioning how Brock from Pokemon was able to see with his eyes closed. :smallbiggrin:

Blue Ghost
2010-08-05, 02:25 PM
Oh, no. Don't ever question people's avvies. It's like questioning how Brock from Pokemon was able to see with his eyes closed. :smallbiggrin:

I know a guy who always looks like he has his eyes closed, Brock-style.
Anyway... congratulations, Haruki!

Coplantor
2010-08-05, 02:27 PM
You guys aren't gonna believe this!

So there's this crazy guy who wears a white robe and he shoots lazors into people's eyes so they don't need glasses anymore!

So I asked him to shoot me, and he did. It's awesome!

No more glasses! WOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Yay! Haruki got lazor'd! Congratulations haruki!

Giggling Ghast
2010-08-05, 02:28 PM

I always assumed Brock had X-ray vision and could peer through his eyelids. That's also how he could tell the difference between the various Nurse Joys and Officer Jennies; they had different barcode tattoos.

Starscream
2010-08-05, 02:29 PM

Brock can't see. That's why he likes all those cops/nurses who look exactly the same. It would creep him out if he realized.

Keld Denar
2010-08-05, 02:34 PM
What country are you in? How much was it (if you don't mind)? I'm REALLY considering getting mine done here in about 3-4 months (as soon as I have health insurance again...). My eyes have been stable for about 3-4 years and my lenses are thick enough. Did you get blade assisted laser surgery? Or bladeless? I've heard good things either way, just curious. How long was your recovery? I assume you had one done at a time?

Haruki-kun
2010-08-05, 02:40 PM
What country are you in? How much was it (if you don't mind)? I'm REALLY considering getting mine done here in about 3-4 months (as soon as I have health insurance again...). My eyes have been stable for about 3-4 years and my lenses are thick enough. Did you get blade assisted laser surgery? Or bladeless? I've heard good things either way, just curious. How long was your recovery? I assume you had one done at a time?

I'm in Mexico.

Well, my parents payed for it, so I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure it wasn't cheap, though.... <.< My Health Insurance did not cover it, since it's considered Aesthetic Surgery.

I'm not sure about the actual procedure. I think it gets blade assisted, since they have to cut open your cornea first.

Recovery is one day, but you're asked not to do any excercise for two weeks, and no swimming for one month. Also, you have to be careful not to get hit or rub them for about two weeks.

But it's a pretty simple procedure, you just walk in and walk out. Takes 20 minutes, tops.

Adumbration
2010-08-05, 03:01 PM
... I just had this vision of epic journey to the top of a high mountain, where a solemn looking, bearded monk receives Haruki with a bow, everything turns into white light, and he slowly takes his glasses off, his eyes brimming with wonder. With a flick of his wrist he tosses them into the abyss. "I can see now."

:smallamused:

EDIT: It really isn't helping that I'm listening to Blind Guardian at the moment.

Haruki-kun
2010-08-05, 03:04 PM
... I just had this vision of epic journey to the top of a high mountain, where a solemn looking, bearded monk receives Haruki with a bow, everything turns into white light, and he slowly takes his glasses off, his eyes brimming with wonder. With a flick of his wrist he tosses them into the abyss. "I can see now."

Thanks for the idea.

Supagoof
2010-08-05, 03:09 PM
Lol wut? :smallconfused: I sure hope you mean a doctor, because if it really was some random guy i have to say aiming a laser into someones eye is really dangerous.Perhaps - but since it worked he must also be really really good. :smallamused:

Haruki actually visited the Lazor Ninja by mistake. He never saw him coming, but he did see him leave. *ba dum cchh* :smallbiggrin:

Coplantor
2010-08-05, 03:15 PM
Perhaps - but since it worked he must also be really really good. :smallamused:

Haruki actually visited the Lazor Ninja by mistake. He never saw him coming, but he did see him leave. *ba dum cchh* :smallbiggrin:

Ninja? But he said it was a doctor!

WAIT! It couldn't have been him (http://www.drmcninja.com/)? Right? :smalleek:

Supagoof
2010-08-05, 03:24 PM

WAIT! It couldn't have been him (http://www.drmcninja.com/)? Right? :smalleek:That's a great comic. Judy bought a kitten you know!

tehjohnli
2010-08-05, 04:29 PM
lazorrrzz.

but really, I prefer contacts. :/

Cealocanth
2010-08-05, 04:43 PM
This seemed appropriate due to the title of this thread.

O_o ________________________________________
/ /
l l BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!
\_\ ________________________________________

Congrats on the lazer eye surgery. I bet it cost a fortune.

Mystic Muse
2010-08-05, 04:53 PM

WAIT! It couldn't have been him (http://www.drmcninja.com/)? Right? :smalleek:

Sure it could have.

Teddy
2010-08-05, 04:57 PM

But it works: you become blind and then there's no need for glasses - ever. :smallwink:

Moff Chumley
2010-08-05, 07:38 PM
You might say, you were blinded with science? :smallamused:

Serpentine
2010-08-05, 10:35 PM
Or blinded with library science.
>totally has that t-shirt<

Damn, you don't know stuff. I'm gonna throw a bunch of questions out there, anyway, and if you can't answer them hopefully others can:

What sort of poor eyesight did you have, and what's it appropriate for?
How much did it cost?
What are the chances of it sticking?
What was the proceedure like? Can you remember it? Did it hurt? Did it feel weird? The idea of having eye surgery while awake almost makes me nauseous...

I'm considering it, at some point.

kpenguin
2010-08-05, 11:00 PM
Very nice, though I'm not sure I would do the same. I quite like glasses you see. If I got laser eye surgery, I'd probably just keep wearing glasses, though I loathe people who wear lensless glasses.

Buncha posers they are.

Gorgondantess
2010-08-05, 11:06 PM
Thbbbbt. I'll keep my glasses, thank you. They're stylish, and don't require my eyes to be cut open! Or hundreds and hundreds of dollars! Yay!:smalltongue:

I suppose I could always just keep my glasses if I got the surgery, but as kpenguin said- buncha posers.:smallyuk:

Rae Artemi
2010-08-05, 11:12 PM
Just stopping in to say that I see just fine with or without glasses, unless they are Nageto 004's, he has some seriously bad eyes.

Keld Denar
2010-08-06, 12:49 AM
I have to use special Clear Care contact solution because I'm alergic to all of the multipurpose solutions. Clear Care solution costs me ~$10 a month. One year of Clear Care costs $520. If lazic costs about $2000 total (1k per eye), then it will have paid for itself in 4 years. Thats NEGLECTING the cost of the actual contact lenses, which probably halves the time to 2 years. Yea, I'm getting it done ASAP.

Fri
2010-08-06, 04:12 AM
Yeah, my mother keeps urging me to laser my eyes, but I like my glasses! they looks cool and I've been wearing them for almost 20 years!

I don't like how I look without my glasses.... Glasses are cool.

Castaras
2010-08-06, 04:24 AM
The idea of laser surgery makes me feel faint and woozy. :smalltongue: But congratulations!

*looks at <10cm distance of vision before it goes all fuzzy* *sighs* Ahh well. Glasses ftw.

Eldan
2010-08-06, 07:33 AM
Yeah, my mother keeps urging me to laser my eyes, but I like my glasses! they looks cool and I've been wearing them for almost 20 years!

I don't like how I look without my glasses.... Glasses are cool.

You could just get a pair of non-corrective lenses (is that the right word?)

Teddy
2010-08-06, 07:44 AM
...Clear Care solution costs me ~$10 a month. One year of Clear Care costs $520...

I think you got something wrong here. Either your solution cost you ~$10 a week, or the cost of one year will be roughly $120.

Keld Denar
2010-08-06, 09:07 AM
Its ok, I'm an engineer, I don't have to know how to do math...

:smallcool:

thestarvingpoet
2010-08-06, 01:23 PM
Or blinded with library science.
>totally has that t-shirt<

Damn, you don't know stuff. I'm gonna throw a bunch of questions out there, anyway, and if you can't answer them hopefully others can:

How much did it cost?
What was the proceedure like? Can you remember it? Did it hurt? Did it feel weird? The idea of having eye surgery while awake almost makes me nauseous...

I'm considering it, at some point.

I got my eyes lasered two years ago.

My eyesight was really bad - -9 in my right eye, -6.5 in my left.
Because my eyesight was so terrible and I also had a bit of astigmatism and thinner corneas mine was quite expensive. $1690/eye. However when I did a calculation of how much glasses tend to cost me it seemed worth it in the long run.
The higher your prescription the larger the chance is that you'll experience some regression. My right eye is down to about -2, and I'll need to get a touchup soon. However the price I paid initially covers unlimited touch ups... another reason that it was worth it for me.

The procedure was odd, but not painful. They put numbing drops in your eyes so you can't feel a thing. The weirdest part for me was when they cut into your cornea - he was asking me to look straight into the light, but your eye can't help but roll back. The laser itself was just a buzzing and that smell you get from a blender motor (burning dust?). Recovery was painful, but I also got to experience one of those rare complications, so that made it worse. The second day they had to lift up the flap again and irrigate the eye - which was incredibly painful. 99% of people don't have that happen though.

Overall I've been very happy with it even with the complications. I think it's been very worth it!

2010-08-07, 08:19 AM

dangerous? yes. but its also way cooler. the longcoat effect is shown to be 45% less effective on sane medical professionals.

Haruki-kun
2010-08-07, 11:39 PM
How much did it cost?

Eyesight: I had 5 points of Myopia in one eye and 4 in the other eye.

Cost: Not really sure. My parents paid for it.

Chances of it sticking: If you're past the age of 21, chances are your eyes have stopped growing. However, it varies. There are some people who suddenly start needing glasses at age 30 after having 20/20 vision their whole life.

With today's technology, you can have the procedure done up to twice in your lifetime. After that, your eyes can't take another one.

Procedure: It doesn't hurt at all. You're conscious during the whole thing, but the anesthesia is strong. But it does feel rather uncomfortable. You feel a sort of pressure in your eye, not to mention the desire to blink.

Recovery isn't particularly painful, but the whole thing is really, really uncomfortable.

Holocron Coder
2010-08-11, 09:23 AM
Eyesight: I had 5 points of Myopia in one eye and 4 in the other eye.

Cost: Not really sure. My parents paid for it.

Chances of it sticking: If you're past the age of 21, chances are your eyes have stopped growing. However, it varies. There are some people who suddenly start needing glasses at age 30 after having 20/20 vision their whole life.

With today's technology, you can have the procedure done up to twice in your lifetime. After that, your eyes can't take another one.

Procedure: It doesn't hurt at all. You're conscious during the whole thing, but the anesthesia is strong. But it does feel rather uncomfortable. You feel a sort of pressure in your eye, not to mention the desire to blink.

Recovery isn't particularly painful, but the whole thing is really, really uncomfortable.

Maybe it was just me, but this doesn't sound too much like when I had my own done less than 2 yrs ago...

Cost: Same, though I think it was around $3k, all told?

Chances of it sticking: The place I went to practically guaranteed it. Haven't had any issues of degrading vision. As for doing it again, I heard differently than Haruki: it depends on the amount of material you have in front of your eye. Some people don't have enough to do it even once, some people can do it several times (3-4, etc).

Procedure: Eye-drops to numb the eyes, then a bit of Vallium to calm you down (I fell asleep in the waiting room). Then you lie down, they hold open your eye with clamps (barely feel them) and trim back a small piece of the front of your eye. Stare at the laser, then they fold the flap back and wipe some fluid over it. Repeat with other eye.

Recovery: 1 day. I was seeing better minutes after the surgery. No problems at all, no discomfort. Had checkups at a week, a month, 6 months, a year afterward.

Side-Effects: A few. Nothing major, but I have 2: slightly drier eyes, and light starring/doubling, but only at night. Essentially, really bright objects at night appear to have several, less bright copies to the left and below them. Doesn't really interfere with anything.

EDIT: And now that I think about it, that second side effect was figured out. The surgery generally makes you more light-sensitive, and I was already pretty light-sensitive. My eyes are almost always dilated, and take in enough light to confuse my brain into seeing duplicate images in high-contrast environments. There's an eyedrop I can take to constrict my pupils, but I'm too lazy :smallbiggrin: