PDA

View Full Version : (3.5)What is the highest level campaign you have ever played?

Ilmryn
2010-08-05, 03:29 PM
Title says all, really. What are your experiences with very high levels?

PS: Has anyone actually played/run a campaign with PC gods usinig deities and demigods? I was considering doing this when i need to start a new campaign next, and would like some ideas of how it works out.

Niezck
2010-08-05, 03:31 PM
Title says all, really. What are your experiences with very high levels?

PS: Has anyone actually played/run a campaign with PC gods usinig deities and demigods? I was considering doing this when i need to start a new campaign next, and would like some ideas of how it works out.

Highest has been 30 for me, with a large portion (about half I think) of the PCs atleast having DR0 through various means. Still going on the boards actually, we're just about to steal some world-ending research from within Orcus' citadel :smalltongue:

Zaydos
2010-08-05, 03:34 PM
The highest I've done is Lv 20 when it got stopped by everyone going to different colleges. The highest I've actually played in as a PC is... 6th I think.

drengnikrafe
2010-08-05, 03:36 PM
The highest I've DMed was 14. The end levels were kind of rushed, though.
The highest I've played was 7. I'd say 8, but our characters leveled up after the final battle, and we never used them again.

EDIT: In regards to the Deities and Demigods thing, no. However... A friend of mine created a system in which all the players played as gods in creating a new world. It was used to... well, create a new world in which the game could be played. Isle of Legacy, it was called. We actually created 3 different functional worlds with it. Alas, though, nobody liked them enough to actually play in any of them.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-05, 03:37 PM
24 here, on a very long campaign(started at 1 and everything!). The game's feel changes as you level up. Keeping the "CHAAAAAAAAALLENGE" up becomes too nuke-ish. My better experiences past level 12~ involved a higher amount of easier challenges, and challenges that focus more on tiring your resources than really hurting you within the next 0.3 rounds.

Also, stunts become increasingly fun to pull. Charging with a jump over the firewall, falling foot-first on the sorcerer, grappling him, tieing him up and jumping back to the other side within 2 rounds was much, much more memorable than when a similar problem was solved with a dispel magic and a true striked bolt to the sorc's face.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-08-05, 03:50 PM
In person, I've run two 1-20 campaigns and one very high level epic campaign to test out ELH (ended upwards of 60th, don't remember the exact level), and I've just started DMing a PbP here at 30th level. I haven't used D&DG material for any PCs yet, but they want to at some point.

Thefurmonger
2010-08-05, 04:03 PM
Lvl 3-21. 3.0-3.5

Coplantor
2010-08-05, 04:39 PM
Wasn't here in the forums a guy who played up to 71 or something?

Jallorn
2010-08-05, 04:41 PM
Level 30, but it never got far off the ground.

Ajadea
2010-08-05, 04:44 PM
From Level 3 to ECL 25, level 17. I was a human vampire rogue/assassin, picking up the vampire template around level 8. Wasn't a bad campaign, actually.

Adumbration
2010-08-05, 04:48 PM
Wasn't here in the forums a guy who played up to 71 or something?

Belial_the_Leveler used to run high epic games in the past, although I can't remember any of those exactly starting. It usually got jammed in the character creation. I remember making a level 70 druid for it once.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-05, 04:50 PM
Highest I ever played as a PC was from level 5 to level 15. As a DM, I've had my players reach about level 17-18ish.

Tyndmyr
2010-08-05, 05:03 PM
Low 20s...but that started off at level 20, so it was pretty high level all the way through.

Highest Ive ever played from level 1 was 16, I believe.

FMArthur
2010-08-05, 05:04 PM
19th-level for both DMing and playing (it's just coincidental; they were separate campaigns). It was infuriating at that level as a player for combat to be so slow and complicated, with monsters that had game-changer abilities we struggled to counter. As a DM it was simply a nightmare in every way. D&D should stop at 6th or 7th level spells. I might houserule that way if my current game goes too far (still give 8th and 9th level slots and give Heighten Spell for free).

Aroka
2010-08-05, 05:07 PM
3.0 campaign from 1st to past 20th (the PCs were wildly different levels by the end; the druid was the highest, 24th or 25th IIRC).

AustontheGreat1
2010-08-05, 05:14 PM
Highest for me was level 43, though I was the highest level member of the party. We started at level 10 and the game lasted a while. by the End I was the only god, though we didn't use Deities and Demigods. we used The Primal Order (http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_2459.html). I'll be honest, being a god is not a fun as you'd think. My characters life became more about diplomacy and worrying about what other gods wanted, and less about the adventure. Towards the end I had pissed of a whole pantheon, gotten banished from an entire continent, got into a epic battle with a godslayer, and was remarkably close to steeping down and giving up my divine powers, until I used them to save the lives of the entire party.

The character was a druid/rogue/master of many forms and the CN god of change, chaos, and shapeshifters.

Aotrs Commander
2010-08-05, 05:29 PM
As a DM, 1st to 17th (18th just around the corner, projecting the end of the quest to 21st, maybe 22nd).

As a player, I don't think I've passed about 12th yet. That said, we almost always start at 1st level.

Glimbur
2010-08-05, 05:36 PM
I've played in a game that went from the high teens to about 23. It was... poorly run.

I also played in a game that started at about 23 and went to 24. I played the cleric. It was a bookkeeping nightmare.

Then we played one at about 26 where we were told not to worry about being effective in combat. So I made a rogue with about a +56 to forgery, without custom items. This came up exactly once and saved our bacon then. We also at one point knocked a guy out so we could drag him off and interrogate him. It all went as planned until we realized he had several day's worth of nonlethal and we had no way to heal him. We did eventually win.

Chaelos
2010-08-05, 05:44 PM
As a DM, I had a campaign get to 20 once. As a player, I've played in a number of 1-20 campaigns; the most recent one actually took us to level 40 with divine rank 3, if memory serves. I should point out, however, that we only played two sessions with level 40 characters, and it was only by drinking the blood of David Bowie that we got so high (*rim shot*).

For that game, we used a modified version of the Deities and Demigods system, with extensive tweaking by our DM. A few observations about god-level play:

1) Everyone's immune to everything except straight damage. We were playing a modified d20 Modern game, so there was very limited/no casting available for most of it, and when the divine ranks were thrown in, it basically turned everyone invincible to everything but a straight-up beatdown.

2) Fighting gods is hilarious. You start putting up Final Fantasy-esque numbers on the damage boards by that time, even with a heavily unoptimized party. I think three of us averaged ~1000 damage points each per round on our targets.

3) Designing a challenge for such characters is very, very difficult. With numbers that big, even a little bit of bad luck can turn into a TPK. Our DM fought us with the following creatures: Tarrasque, Orcus and Asmodeus each with Divine Rank 3 and 20 epic levels tacked on, and a level 50 Divine Rank 3 asskicker. They only killed one of us--and he didn't actually die, due to some hilarious rule-bending shenanigans--but it was one of the most nerve-wracking fights I've ever seen.

Morph Bark
2010-08-05, 05:45 PM
Played no higher than 8. Well, ECL 14 and it was Gestalt, but eh.

aje8
2010-08-05, 05:47 PM
Level 15 is the highest I've played in counting forum games. Not counting them it's only 10.

comicshorse
2010-08-05, 05:48 PM
Got to 22nd Level once and we'd started at first. ( by then the G.M. had run out of idea's so we had to quit which was as well as we had no idea where to go from there)

Yukitsu
2010-08-05, 05:54 PM
Highest character was level 40, without epic casting (just arbitrarily larger amounts of non-epic casting, and bigger metamagics).

Highest character was a lich that the DM managed to accidently time loop who had an approaching infinite level.