PDA

View Full Version : yu gi oh teaching help

paladinlady
2010-08-05, 03:30 PM
I have a younger brother who wants to learn yu gi oh, however he is only 9 and may find the details hard to understand.

I have found a few normal monsters for him, but he can't learn much or win with them so I need help, what is a good way to teach and what kind of cards should I give him (Don't worry about the ban list).

Thanks.

Raroy
2010-08-05, 03:41 PM
Simple, get him a structure deck he would like then get yourself your own structure deck and duel each other. Make sure you help him understand along the way.

Why didn't you post this in the Yu-gi-oh OOC thread? I'm sure they wouldn't mind and more traffic would of been sent to your question.

paladinlady
2010-08-05, 03:55 PM
Simple, get him a structure deck he would like then get yourself your own structure deck and duel each other. Make sure you help him understand along the way.

Why didn't you post this in the Yu-gi-oh OOC thread? I'm sure they wouldn't mind and more traffic would of been sent to your question.

I looked at my local hobby store but all I could find was the machina on and the lord of the storm ones, I guess they are good decks but alot of the cards are to advanced, he wants basic stuff that is easy to understand.

Dragero
2010-08-05, 04:16 PM
I taught myself how to play Yu-Gi-Oh when I has 7. I was winning every-other tournement I went to when I was 9.

Has he ever seen the (Original, none of that 5-D crap) anime? It helps a lot for younger players learning.

I find that teaching someone yugioh is pretty easy, just build him a simple deck, or buy one of the older decks.(Say....Yugi, kiba, maybe even pegasus) Then, teach him the very basics and start a game. Tell him that whenever he has a question to ask you, and correct his mistakes.

Thats how I taught a 7 year old how to play magic :smallbiggrin:

paladinlady
2010-08-05, 04:30 PM
I taught myself how to play Yu-Gi-Oh when I has 7. I was winning every-other tournement I went to when I was 9.

Has he ever seen the (Original, none of that 5-D crap) anime? It helps a lot for younger players learning.

I find that teaching someone yugioh is pretty easy, just build him a simple deck, or buy one of the older decks.(Say....Yugi, kiba, maybe even pegasus) Then, teach him the very basics and start a game. Tell him that whenever he has a question to ask you, and correct his mistakes.

Thats how I taught a 7 year old how to play magic :smallbiggrin:

I may try to make a good easy deck, are there any cards or types of cards you would suggest.

P.s. Sadly he has only seen the 5-D crap (If only this was a few years ago while only the original was on tv, battle city was the best part for learning, and you could get decks like yugi or kiaba).

Dragero
2010-08-05, 04:36 PM
To the interwebs!!!! Find some youtube or similar site sthat show the original.

I'd recomend a warrior deck, they're fairly simple. In fact, I remeber a warrior structure deck a few years back that was pretty simple, and a pretty good. See if you can find it on a amazon or ebay, or at your local store, or maybe just find the card-list of it. I remeber it relied pretty heavily on maruading captain (AKA, Dr.No-attack)

paladinlady
2010-08-05, 04:44 PM
To the interwebs!!!! Find some youtube or similar site sthat show the original.

I'd recomend a warrior deck, they're fairly simple. In fact, I remeber a warrior structure deck a few years back that was pretty simple, and a pretty good. See if you can find it on a amazon or ebay, or at your local store, or maybe just find the card-list of it. I remeber it relied pretty heavily on maruading captain (AKA, Dr.No-attack)

Maybe but he does have a hard time understanding most of the cards and I would like to keep card effects to a two line minimum, maybe 3 if they are simple, cards like monster reborn, heavy storm, mirror force, man-eater bug.

Dragero
2010-08-05, 04:56 PM
Monster reborn? Isn`t that banned?

Anyways, if he has trouble understanding cards, hand him a nice sized book, like harry potter 3+ to help him in his reading, cause if a 5-line card confuses him, Most spell/trap/GOOD monsters will make his brain implode (I`m looking at you, Cyber Jar)

Or try making him a deck of mostly Normal (Non effect) Monsters and simple spells. It won`t be very good, but It`ll work.

Astrella
2010-08-05, 05:06 PM

Yes, because the anime respected the actual rules very well. :smalltongue:

Dragero
2010-08-05, 05:08 PM

Well......It followed the basics pretty well (Minus all the magic)

It`s good for a beginer to see the basics in action before diving in.

paladinlady
2010-08-05, 05:20 PM
Monster reborn? Isn`t that banned?

Anyways, if he has trouble understanding cards, hand him a nice sized book, like harry potter 3+ to help him in his reading, cause if a 5-line card confuses him, Most spell/trap/GOOD monsters will make his brain implode (I`m looking at you, Cyber Jar)

Or try making him a deck of mostly Normal (Non effect) Monsters and simple spells. It won`t be very good, but It`ll work.

I could also try some easy cards, mainly any non-rare cards from Cyberdark impact, Tactical evolution, Gladiators assult, Phantom darkness or Light of destruction since they are the packs I get (Please suggest some).

I guess battle city did.

Dragero
2010-08-05, 05:53 PM
The original packs (First 1-4ish) have some pretty easy cards in them. I don`t know to much about more recent packs (Haven`t played in about 2 years), but I remember Cybernetic rev having some pretty advanced cards in it. (And Gyroid, I love my Gyroid) Try to keep him away from destiny/(The "Good guy") Hero`s untill he`s got the basics down.

Around how many cards do you have, and from what packs are they mostly from?

Mando Knight
2010-08-06, 12:19 AM

From about Battle City on (except, of course, the Millennium World arc and things like the God Cards), the manga/anime version of the game shifted drastically towards the TCG rules, which apparently had only recently been nailed down at the time the arc had been published in Japan. Obviously, some cards had their rules changed in between their manga/anime and TCG forms for balance reasons and actual playtesting rather than PLOT, but from what I've seen of GX and 5D's they're about as accurate as the Battle City arc.

The most major persistent difference in the presentation of the game is that the manga/anime version cuts the LP in half, so they can fit more talking into the same amount of gaming. Also so that when you get hit by a direct attack from Blue-Eyes, you're really reeling. :smallamused:

Cards-wise, I'd say the best way to learn to play is to grab a starter deck. They're there for a reason, after all. After that, you can introduce him to more complex strategies via the structure decks, and your favorite method of organizing the deck's structure (mine is generally around 15 low-level, 5 high-level/non-Extra Deck alt-summon, and a mix of 20 Spell/Trap cards).

The original packs (First 1-4ish) have some pretty easy cards in them.No. Nonononono. Early packs like Legend of Blue-Eyes have a horde of normal monsters and simple effect cards, but 90% of the Common cards are worthless. Normal monsters with less than 1700 Attack or Defense (generally my lower limit on "useful" Normal L4/lower monsters, though I prefer 1800+), Level 5+ monsters with less than 2000 Attack/Defense, and too few Effect monsters. The good cards from those decks have become some of the most well-known ones in the game, though, and some are nearly indispensable, either in their early form or a later successor card.

tyckspoon
2010-08-06, 12:45 AM
Early packs like Legend of Blue-Eyes have a horde of normal monsters and simple effect cards, but 90% of the Common cards are worthless. Normal monsters with less than 1700 Attack or Defense (generally my lower limit on "useful" Normal L4/lower monsters, though I prefer 1800+), Level 5+ monsters with less than 2000 Attack/Defense, and too few Effect monsters. The good cards from those decks have become some of the most well-known ones in the game, though, and some are nearly indispensable, either in their early form or a later successor card.

And at least half the good ones are now banned/restricted (I lolled/facepalmed a little when I saw they'd restricted Graceful Charity. Draw 3/keep one is an overpowered mechanic now? Yu-Gi-Oh's cardlist keepers are a wee bit over-zealous about keeping the game going 'right'. Which apparently means play normal monster, sac normal monster, attempt to sweep with high-star-value monster.. because seemingly every other tactic gets its key cards banned.)

Mando Knight
2010-08-06, 01:14 AM
The "best" one from Legend of Blue-Eyes is still unrestricted, partly due to its status as a Normal Monster and partly because you "need" three of them to Fusion Summon a monster with half as many attack points as the sum of the three without any additional effects: the Blue-Eyes itself. Fortunately for it, there's a decent amount of support for what I believe still claims the title of the strongest normal monster in the game. Any beatstick-style player worth his salt would look at the Blue-Eyes carefully, since easy BEWD summoning and combos are half of the Kaiba Evolution deck and related packs.

paladinlady
2010-08-06, 10:00 AM
Around how many cards do you have, and from what packs are they mostly from?

I have a huge amount of cards from nearly every pack, however the second seires (POTD-LODT) are the ones I mostly own.

Winthur
2010-08-06, 10:04 AM
Back when I was still semi-interested in this game, the cookie cutter deck was, apparently, a mix of two Dark Emperor (or something like that; the ones based on Dimension cards) Structure Decks and a few staple singles. Also, Zombie decks were popular at the time.

But I have no other idea otherwise, so it's just a throw-away clue.

Also, I learned this game from the PC games called Power of Chaos, dueling against the ever-annoying Joey Wheeler, who doesn't take a back seat from nobody, and who has the tendency to rant endlessly between every action of his*.

Although remember - only grown-ups are allowed to play children's card games. (Otherwise anime Ving Rhames might steal your cards.)

*"Awriiight! Dis pronounces good gayme! I affer 2 of mah monsters on the field as a tribute!
(One Trap Hole later)
WHAT? Can't be!
(Monster Reborn in the same turn)
Nyeeeh!
(...)
GAAAAAAAH!"

Fay Graydon
2010-08-06, 10:12 AM
Well for starters don't take him to any tournaments to learn.
I've been to a few and most Tournament goers I've played... well there a*******s to be honest...

But Yeah just collect a few monsters and basic spells and traps and just show him how each card works.
Show him how:

to Normal Summon and Set monsters,
to Tribute Summon monsters,
to Special Summon monsters,
to Set traps and when to activate them.
The difference between flip summon and flipped cards.
the difference between spells and traps

the later go into things like rituals, fusions, syncros and how quick plays can be chained from the hand or set and work like a trap.

The one thing you need to make sure is that you dont try to teach him tactics and how to play complicated decks like Gladiator beasts, Venoms or things.
Go for an unthemed deck, maybe taken out of a dross tin (dross meaning the cards that are left over when you create a "awesome" deck or cards not deemed amazing)

paladinlady
2010-08-06, 10:42 AM
A few cards I found for him: Monster reborn, umbra soul, magician of faith, gemini elf, sukretzu armour (sorry for spelling), other basic normal monsters, dark hole. Are these good cards to give him, if not why?

Winthur
2010-08-06, 10:52 AM
All of those are wonderful cards especially since he isn't going to any tournaments soon, so he doesn't have to care for banlists, and they're monstrously fun to use. :smallsmile:

paladinlady
2010-08-06, 11:07 AM
All of those are wonderful cards especially since he isn't going to any tournaments soon, so he doesn't have to care for banlists, and they're monstrously fun to use. :smallsmile:

yeah he will love tearing apart my darklord zerto with dark hole! Any others that are good?

Mando Knight
2010-08-06, 11:20 AM
I like mega-defense low-levels. Anything with 2000 DEF while only being level 4 or lower helps set up a lot of tributes. Go-to monsters for this are Dragon Dwelling in the Cave, Mystical Elf, and Giant Soldier of Stone. If you're willing to teach Spell Counters, then I prefer the Royal Magical Library to those three, except when running a dragon-heavy deck that either lacks Spell Counter cards or has better synergy with DDitC.

Gemini Elf is a good card, and Skilled Dark Magician is similar in stats but has a Dark Magician-summoning effect, and is indispensable in Dark Magician-themed decks.

Good Fusion monsters are few and far in between, but Synchros tend to be pretty good, and are apparently all over the competitive decks nowadays. If he's familiar with the 5D's anime, he might be all set to use Tuner Monsters and Synchro Summons, since they're the series's signature new game element.

Dragero
2010-08-06, 01:05 PM
Eh?? Syncro Summon? Whats this, another newfangled way to make rituals popular? (No realy, whats a syncro summon? Haven`t played in 2 years so.....)

Blue Ghost
2010-08-06, 01:10 PM
Eh?? Syncro Summon? Whats this, another newfangled way to make rituals popular? (No realy, whats a syncro summon? Haven`t played in 2 years so.....)

Heheh, check it out (http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Synchro). A new mechanic that has drastically changed the game. I think that new players should learn how to Synchro Summon, though that may be a more advanced lesson in the game.

Fay Graydon
2010-08-06, 01:12 PM
A few cards I found for him: Monster reborn, umbra soul, magician of faith, gemini elf, sukretzu armour (sorry for spelling), other basic normal monsters, dark hole. Are these good cards to give him, if not why?

The ones I crossed out are forbidden I'm afraid...
Also It all depends on what style of play he wants to go with...

Mando Knight
2010-08-06, 01:22 PM

It's fusion, but different. They changed the name of the Fusion Deck to the Extra Deck, and you stick both your Fusion and Synchro monsters in there. Synchros, like fusions, are Special Summons that combine weak monsters into strong ones, but with several important differences:

1.) Synchros need Tuner Monsters to work, rather than Polymerization.
2.) Most Synchro monsters can use any Tuner, and any mathematically-solid combination of other monsters.
3.) By mathematically-solid, I mean the summon requires the sum of the levels of the Tuner and tributes equal the summoned monster's level.
4.) Tuners are generally level 1 or 2, and tend to have an additional effect, usually to encourage specific Synchro Summons.
5.) The Tuner and the other monsters need to be on the field.

paladinlady
2010-08-06, 01:38 PM
The ones I crossed out are forbidden I'm afraid...
Also It all depends on what style of play he wants to go with...

Well we can still use them in friendly matches right?

Dragero
2010-08-06, 03:11 PM
Hmm so Say I wanted to synchro summon a level 8 monster. Would I need 8 levels worth of tuners, or just one tuner and some other monsters to add up to 8?

Suddenly I want to start playing again.....see how my old warrior deck holds up. Marauding Captain FTW!!

Mando Knight
2010-08-06, 03:18 PM
You use one Tuner and enough non-Tuners to bump the level up to 8.

Unless, of course, the Synchro Monster's text specifies otherwise, generally to specify certain Synchro Materials (some require a certain attribute, some a certain Tuner, and some a specific non-Tuner).

Dragero
2010-08-06, 03:20 PM
Ok, So for a level 8 synchro I need:

Mr. Lev 2 Tuner
Mr. Lev 4 Man
Mrs. Lev 2 Lady

This is correct?

Blue Ghost
2010-08-06, 03:21 PM
Ok, So for a level 8 synchro I need:

Mr. Lev 2 Tuner
Mr. Lev 4 Man
Mrs. Lev 2 Lady

This is correct?

Yes, that is correct.

Dragero
2010-08-06, 03:22 PM
:biggrin:

I'm learning!

paladinlady
2010-08-07, 04:15 PM
Are there any good basic dark cards out there?

thegurullamen
2010-08-07, 04:42 PM
Are there any good basic dark cards out there?

Er, yes? Really,it solely depends on what you want to do with them. Alignment-themed decks aren't that playable because there aren't many cards geared towards them. You have to build your deck concept around something far more specific.

That said, of the six alignments, DARK is the best because there are so many more DARK monsters and exponentially more cards that are actually good. There's also a structure deck based on them, I think.

I suggest checking out the yugioh wikia and searching "Blackwings", which is an exceptional deck in the current format and shows the height of dark monsters as well as really good synchros.

Other notable DARKs:
Dark Strike Fighter
Dark Armed Dragon
Spirit Reaper
Red Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon
Red Dragon Archfiend
Van'Dalgyon the Dark Dragon Lord
The Wicked Gods (Dreadroot, Eraser and Avatar)
Gorz the emissary of Darkness
Plaguespreader
Light and Darkness Dragon (technically a LIGHT, but has a DARK effect.)
Allure of Darkness

paladinlady
2010-08-07, 05:06 PM
Er, yes? Really,it solely depends on what you want to do with them. Alignment-themed decks aren't that playable because there aren't many cards geared towards them. You have to build your deck concept around something far more specific.

That said, of the six alignments, DARK is the best because there are so many more DARK monsters and exponentially more cards that are actually good. There's also a structure deck based on them, I think.

I suggest checking out the yugioh wikia and searching "Blackwings", which is an exceptional deck in the current format and shows the height of dark monsters as well as really good synchros.

Other notable DARKs:
Dark Strike Fighter
Dark Armed Dragon
Spirit Reaper
Red Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon
Red Dragon Archfiend
Van'Dalgyon the Dark Dragon Lord
The Wicked Gods (Dreadroot, Eraser and Avatar)
Gorz the emissary of Darkness
Plaguespreader
Light and Darkness Dragon (technically a LIGHT, but has a DARK effect.)
Allure of Darkness

I don't have the ones that are crossed out, I guess i made him a dark deck because he likes my one, maybe a water deck would be better, they have alot of good and basic cards i guess.

Mando Knight
2010-08-07, 06:59 PM
Dark Magician. Obviously. You can't have a proper discussion about building Spellcaster-type or DARK-attribute themed decks without at least mentioning Yugi's favorite monster. It even has entire sets based on its support: Magician's Force contains a horde of +Spellcaster cards and the elusive Dark Paladin fusion (the cover card), and the Spellcaster's Judgment Structure Deck is essentially the "Dark Magician Structure Deck."

paladinlady
2010-08-08, 05:52 AM
Dark Magician. Obviously. You can't have a proper discussion about building Spellcaster-type or DARK-attribute themed decks without at least mentioning Yugi's favorite monster. It even has entire sets based on its support: Magician's Force contains a horde of +Spellcaster cards and the elusive Dark Paladin fusion (the cover card), and the Spellcaster's Judgment Structure Deck is essentially the "Dark Magician Structure Deck."

Ah Dark Magician, I belive I have that card in every rarity (execpt ghost), the wicked gods are great cards also (but REALLY hard to find!).

Sadly I traded Dark eradicator warlock for Storm neos a few days ago.

Dragero
2010-08-08, 12:46 PM
Ah yes, dark magician, my old nemisis. My old warrior deck always ended up battling against some guys DM deck. Always lost to him, but only by 500 or some life.

Ghost rarity? They added a new rarity?

Mando Knight
2010-08-08, 12:53 PM

In addition to the standard Rare/Super Rare/Ultra Rare, some cards have additional fan-named levels of rarity (http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Rarity), such as the following.

Short Print: Uncommon Common cards. Rarer than other Commons, but more common than Rares.

Ghost Rare: Holographic foil version of an Ultra Rare card. Really ridiculously rare.

Secret Rare: Been around since Legend of Blue Eyes, isn't generally listed on card set lists, and has special foil. Also used for some promotional cards.

Ghost Rares are simply an alternate print of Ultra Rares. I've got a Ghost Rare Power Tool Dragon, for example.

paladinlady
2010-08-08, 12:55 PM
Ah yes, dark magician, my old nemisis. My old warrior deck always ended up battling against some guys DM deck. Always lost to him, but only by 500 or some life.

Yeah its the new best rarity, basicly holographic.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Dragero
2010-08-08, 12:55 PM
I've heard of secret and such, but that link you post was.......crazy. I've never even heard of half of those!

Blue Ghost
2010-08-08, 01:00 PM

Dark Magician isn't really that good a deck theme. I find most other Spellcaster variants are better: Counter Casters, Assault Casters, Secret Village Lockdown, Relinquished...