PDA

View Full Version : Soulknife/Soulbow

DragonsAion
2010-08-05, 03:52 PM
Will be building one of these for a game and I was wondering how best to outfit him.

-we are using a 40-point buy system.
-books allowed are all completes, PHB, PHB2, Spell Compendium, and Magic Item Compendium.
-starting level is 10 with standard gold for level.

I'm AFB right now so I'm asking in order to get the dice rolling.

The Glyphstone
2010-08-05, 03:55 PM
Well, you don't need a weapon...

A Wis-boosting item is obvious, +2 or +4. If you can beg the DM to allow you the Zen Archery feat (from BoED), to key your to-hit off of Wisdom, you're SAD for offense.

DragonsAion
2010-08-05, 04:09 PM
true but I need DEX to help with REflex, AC and the rest. As far as ability scores go DEX, CON, and WIS are Givens.

gallagher
2010-08-05, 04:16 PM
true but I need DEX to help with REflex, AC and the rest. As far as ability scores go DEX, CON, and WIS are Givens.
Dex isnt AS important in this case, as you should be buying a cloak of displacement. you still need a decent DEX, as you will need it for some of your skills.

see if you can fit in a collar of umbral darkness ( i think its called) which will pretty much grant you the Dark template

RMS Oceanic
2010-08-05, 04:24 PM
Well, you don't need a weapon...

A Wis-boosting item is obvious, +2 or +4. If you can beg the DM to allow you the Zen Archery feat (from BoED), to key your to-hit off of Wisdom, you're SAD for offense.

Zen Archery is in Complete Warrior, not BoED. You're thinking of Intuitive Strike. But yeah, take this feat as soon as your mind arrows start flying.

I think your priority in stats should be WIS -> DEX = CON -> INT -> STR -> CHA.

DragonsAion
2010-08-05, 04:26 PM
Theres an item that gives you the Dark ceature template?

Adumbration
2010-08-05, 04:27 PM
Theres an item that gives you the Dark ceature template?

Tome of Magic. Costs 22 000 gps for the continual version, about 10k for a limited time edition.

DragonsAion
2010-08-05, 04:31 PM
Isn't the LA for that template +1?

The Glyphstone
2010-08-05, 04:35 PM
Yes, but you get it for free if you spend money on it.

DragonsAion
2010-08-05, 04:41 PM
True enough, but a +1 LA is a real easy buy off unless your DM doesn't allow LA. I played a dark half-vampire spell thief 1/ sorcerer 4/ spell warp sniper 5 going into unseen seer once not too long ago. Needless to say no one saw or heard me unless I wanted them too.

Mongoose87
2010-08-05, 05:04 PM
Pick yourself up a Composite Longbow, and fire your Mind Arrows through that, so you can add Str and Wis to damage, as well as the effects of the bow.

RMS Oceanic
2010-08-05, 05:10 PM
Wait, you can do that?

DragonsAion
2010-08-05, 05:14 PM
Wait, you can do that?

+1 on that. O_O

Mongoose87
2010-08-05, 06:05 PM
Some say you can. I think it's cool. The mind arrow is identical to an arrow fired from a composite longbow - so fire it from a composite longbow. I don't see anything in the text describing how you must launch the arrow.

Machiavellian
2010-08-05, 06:08 PM
Some say you can. I think it's cool. The mind arrow is identical to an arrow fired from a composite longbow - so fire it from a composite longbow. I don't see anything in the text describing how you must launch the arrow.

I actually love Thri-Kreen for this application (take the monster levels. its simpler) so you can Multiweapon Fighting with the Mind Arrows

RMS Oceanic
2010-08-06, 12:39 AM
I'd check with your DM if that's a feasible strategy. If it is, Let's try and get a build up and running. My proposed build assumes he says no.

One alternate class feature I'd recommend that isn't in your chosen books - by the way, is the Psionic Handbook allowed? - would replace the Soulknife's Psychic Strike (which is not gonna get very well developed unless you go epic) with bonus feats from the same category the Psychic Warrior can pick.

STR 10
DEX 17 (Started at 16, add 1 from levelling up)
CON 14
INT 14
WIS 19 (Started at 18, add 1 from levelling up)
CHA 8

Soulknife 6/Soulbow 4 - You can start at 5, but I think grabbing the extra level for speed of thought and an extra +1 Ability on your arrows is worth it.

Race - Human for the bonus feat/skill point, Elf/Halfling for the Dex bonus. If you want to take a small Level Adjustment hit, or your DM allows that you already bought it back, your options could possibly include Aasminar (+2 Wis/Cha), Tiefling (+2 Dex/Int, -2 Cha), Hobgoblin (+2 Dex/Con) or even Githzerai (+6 Dex, +2 Wis, -2 Int, but LA +2. If you choose this race, you can redistribute some DEX points somewhere else)

Feats
I'm not sure what race you want to play, so my feat recommendatiosn assume you'll have the minimum number of feats available (Non human, no flaws, didn't take the ACF for more feats etc).

((B) - Bonus feat from Class Features)

1 (B) Weapon Focus (Mind Blade/Arrow)
1 (B) Wild Talent
1 Point Blank Shot
3 Precise Shot
6 (B) Speed of Thought
6 Rapid Shot
7 (B) Zen Archery
9 Manyshot
9 (B) Greater Manyshot

Skills
Concentration
Tumble
Hide
Move Silently
Climb
Jump
Balance

So at the moment you have
2 Power Points
+2 Mind Arrow (With total of +2 magical abilities like Keen and such)
Psychic Strike +1d8
+10 movement speed
Close Combat

Equipment
Like I said, my build assumes your DM won't let the Composite Longbow trick work. If he does, remember to only let your Bow be +1, and the rest of its enhancement come from special abilities, because your mind arrows will get the enhancement.

Armour - Can't go wrong with Mithral Breastplate. If you're not using a longbow, remember to get yourself a decent shield, since you can sling Mind Arrows off with one hand.

Items
Wisdom and Dexterity Boosting are priority, followed by Constitution and Strength.

Equipment isn't my strong point, so I'm sorry if this is rather vague, but I'm not sure which items would be specifically great for a Soulbow.

Does any of this help?

Marnath
2010-08-06, 02:21 AM
Pick yourself up a Composite Longbow, and fire your Mind Arrows through that, so you can add Str and Wis to damage, as well as the effects of the bow.

I find that to be very questionable, and not a small amount of cheesy. It's powered by your mind, i don't think it would work with a bow. If your DM agrees to that intepretation though, go for it. :smallsmile:

*edit @ mongoose: the text sure doesn't mention how you launch it, but the pic that comes with it shows the woman thrusting her palm out flat and the arrow rushing away from that.

RMS Oceanic
2010-08-06, 02:37 AM
If you do want to add a second ability modifier to your damage, have room for a feat and access to the Dragon Magazine Compendium (Which you may not), Dead Eye is a good choice. For BAB of 1, Dex of 17, Weapon Focus with the weapon in question (Which you get for free anyway) and Point Blank Shot you get your Dexterity modifier to damage with ranged weapons at targets within 30 feet. It's precision based, however, so it doesn't work on Undead/constructs etc.

Of course, adding all three modifiers would be fun. :smallsmile:

Escheton
2010-08-06, 02:40 AM
You make arrows, then project them with a mental thrust.
Might as well use a bow...

Adumbration
2010-08-06, 03:37 AM
Arguably you already gain the strength bonus to damage. "The bolt is identical in all ways (except visually) to an arrow shot from a composite longbow." Composite longbows usually have a strength rating.

A bit fuzzy, I know, but like I said, it's arguable.

RMS Oceanic
2010-08-06, 03:40 AM
Arguably you already gain the strength bonus to damage. "The bolt is identical in all ways (except visually) to an arrow shot from a composite longbow." Composite longbows usually have a strength rating.

A bit fuzzy, I know, but like I said, it's arguable.

Usually, but not always. I always read that as a "default" longbow, with a Strength modifier of +0.

I guess the problem is when you're dealing with psychic mind bolts your strength wouldn't really come into play on how much they hurt.

Yuki Akuma
2010-08-06, 04:07 AM
Your mental composite longbow obviously has a "Strength" rating equal to your Wisdom modifier.

hamishspence
2010-08-06, 04:56 AM
True enough, but a +1 LA is a real easy buy off unless your DM doesn't allow LA. I played a dark half-vampire spell thief 1/ sorcerer 4/ spell warp sniper 5 going into unseen seer once not too long ago. Needless to say no one saw or heard me unless I wanted them too.

There's a better version of the Dark Template in Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave. The Tome of Magic version still requires cover/concealment to work- the Cormyr version doesn't.

Mongoose87
2010-08-06, 07:40 AM
I find that to be very questionable, and not a small amount of cheesy. It's powered by your mind, i don't think it would work with a bow. If your DM agrees to that intepretation though, go for it. :smallsmile:

*edit @ mongoose: the text sure doesn't mention how you launch it, but the pic that comes with it shows the woman thrusting her palm out flat and the arrow rushing away from that.

It's not cheesy, since you're an archer - you need all the help you can get.

2xMachina
2010-08-06, 07:41 AM
Meh, the bow + mind arrow is MAD, so it ain't very Op.

You need Dex for the archery feats.
Wis for damage and to hit.
Str if you want the composite longbow str to damage.

The other option is to TWF your mind arrows (since they use 1 hand only). Use Rapidshot for arrow spam.

I'd get some Kensai in there to enhance the mind arrow. Splitting is great for more arrow spam.

DragonsAion
2010-08-06, 10:50 AM
Will be playing a human so that’s a yes on the extra feat and the bow trick is out. So I'm going to cap DEX out at 18 and then boosting WIS from there?

@Adumbration
You don't gain STR to damage since its "mental energy." The PRC lets you add your WIS mod to the damage done as WIS replaces STR in this set up.

2xMachina
2010-08-06, 11:12 AM
Since you're Dex'ing... TWF it.

For a soulbow, it's either the Bow trick, or the TWF trick. Choose either one.

Rigor_Mortis
2010-08-06, 01:09 PM
There is an ACF for Soulblade where you swap out Wild talent for Hidden talent and that allows you to pick up a Power instead (IE Inertial Armor or something)

You might want to consider that.

Greenish
2010-08-06, 02:22 PM
Bonus feat Soul Knife:
Bonus Feats

You sacrifice power for skill and technique.
Level: 3rd, 7th, 11th, 15th, and 19th.
Replaces: You lose all psychic strike class abilities at the above levels.

Benefit: In place of the psychic strike class ability, you gain a bonus feat at each level above. You may choose any feat designed for soulknives (such as those in Complete Psionic) or any feat that your mind blade can benefit from, such as Power Attack or Improved Critical (also see the mind blade feats in Dragon Magazine #341 in the "Class Acts: Adventurer" article). You must meet any prerequisites for the feat you choose.http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a

Granted, you'll only get one, but it's still a vast improvement over Psychic Strike.

Mongoose87
2010-08-06, 02:48 PM
Bonus feat Soul Knife: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a

Granted, you'll only get one, but it's still a vast improvement over Psychic Strike.

I'd be tempted, as a DM, to give both bonus feats and Psychic Strike. It's not like it'll be overpowered.