PDA

View Full Version : Sit-Com Troopers - A semi-d20 comical RPG! (Work in progress.)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-08-05, 04:05 PM
I'm a fan of both Red Dwarf (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dwarf) and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and I've been dwelling on the idea of creating a role playing-game based on both the brand of humor and the setting of these tow sit-coms.
So I present to you:

SIT-COM TROOPERS
SIT-COM TROOPERS is a role playing-game combining elements of d20 system including the core mechanic and homebrew elements created by josha*.

http://dailypop.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/reddwarf.jpg

:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Chapter 1- INTODUCTION
SIT-COM TROOPERS is a dysfunctional sci-fi RPG where you play a larger (or debate-ably smaller) than life hero roaming the galaxy, fighting ravenous monsters, and saving the day in the nick of time. Your character will be flawed, underpowered, and incompetent; so you will struggling to survive with the little resources you have against the mysterious (and only sometimes comical) horrors of unknown space.
A great example of this is Red Dwarf (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dwarf) but this game is not based on said show, it only borrows some of the elements.

THE SETTING
In the year 2550 the human race has charted only a very small portion of the galaxy and half of the human population (totaling about 14 billion) still resides on earth. A few scattered colonies of humans live on other teroformed planets. The human race has found no signs of intelligent alien life however... For now!

TECHNOLOGY LEVEL
Coming soon.

Chapter 2 - CREATING YOUR CHARACTER
When making your character follow these 3 easy steps:

THINK OF A CONCEPT
Before stating your character out browse the other steps, think about your character's personality, background, current situation, ect.

CHOOSE YOUR SPECIES
HUMAN
Pragmatic, adaptable, and resourceful, Humans are destined to one day rule the galaxy (oh, who am I trying to kid?). :smallwink:

Humans Have the Following Racial Traits
- No ability adjustments.
- Speed 6 squares (30 ft).
- Medium size.

- You gain an extra quirk and perk and an extra quirk at 1st level.
- You can add one extra skill of your choice to your list of occupation skills.
- You gain +1 to all saving throws.
- You gain an extra hit point every level.
- You have a hard time accepting that there are other intelligent life in galaxy and you cannot relate to them very well. Because of this you take a -1 penalty to social skill-checks when dealing with non-humans.

ANDROID
Created by Humans to serve several purposes, Androids have been gifted with artificial intelligence.

Androids Have the Following Racial Traits
- Add 2 points to your strength, constitution, and intelligence. Remove 2 from your dexterity and your charisma.
- Speed 6 squares (30 ft).
- Medium size.
- Machine: You are immune to all effects noted to effect living creatures.

- Add 1 point to your defense total due to armor plaiting.
- You have been programmed not to harm human life, because of this you take a -1 penalty to attack rolls against humans.
- You do not need to rest, breath, eat, drink, or sleep. You are immune to all effects that force you to do so.
- Add 1 point to your fortitude saves.
- You have been programed to use a wide array of equipment. You gain proficiency with one extra item of your choice.

PSI MUTANT
The laboratories of mad scientists spawn many strange creatures, but none were playable as an LA-less race before the Psi-Mutant. Resembling the aliens from the Star Trek episode: "The Cage" (shame on you if you are not familiar with it), Psi-Mutants posses strange telepathic powers.

Psi-Mutants Have the Following Racial Traits
- Add 4 points to your intelligence, remove 2 from your strength, dexterity, and charisma.
- Speed 4 squares (20 ft).
- Medium size.
- Machine: You are immune to all effects noted to effect living creatures.

- Psychic shielding grants you a +1 bonus to defense against laser, denigration, and gamma attacks.
- Weak body structure gives you 1 less hit point per level.
- You can manipulate objects with your min, your'e telekinesis is treated as being able to cast mage hand (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mageHand.htm) at will.
- Once per day you can try to control the mind of a creature within 10 squares (50ft). They must make a will save with a DC equal to your intelligence score or be under your control for 1d3 rounds.
- Your'e focused psychic energy helps you predict the way your'e foe is going to dodge. Granting you a +1 bonus to ranged attack rolls.
- You can use telepathy to communicate with all creatures within 2 squares (10ft).

More coming soon!

* Devilishly hansom founder of JOSHA-GAMES INC :smallsmile:.

DracoDei
2010-08-05, 06:32 PM
Are you sure you don't want to throw in some aliens (even if they can't be PCs)?
HHGttG had a grand total of 2 humans in it for most of the books(If you discount the first little bit of the first books) and it would let you bring in some concepts from Galaxy Quest, which, while I know very little about, smells like something that would fit in rather will.

Siosilvar
2010-08-05, 09:27 PM
Chapter 1- INTODUCTIONKeep this typo. Make Duction a place later.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-08-09, 07:21 PM
I plan to have 3 main elements to a character: Species (Human, Android evolved house pet, ect.), Archetype (wannabe dashing hero, underachieving rogue, ect.), and Occupation (chicken soup machine operative, galactic bureaucrat, starship mechanic, ect.).
You will have perks (similar to D&D feats), and quirks (Similar to GURPS flaws.).
What do you think?

DragonOfUndeath
2010-08-09, 07:31 PM
great idea but you need to type up some stats and rules before i can make an informed decision about the game your making

Zeta Kai
2010-08-09, 07:51 PM
The human race has found no signs of intelligent alien life however...

Fixed it for you. :smallwink:

No sign yet; not even at home! The search continues... :smallbiggrin:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-08-09, 08:24 PM
Fixed it for you. :smallwink:

No sign yet; not even at home! The search continues... :smallbiggrin:

I'm using that.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-08-09, 10:49 PM
if your making a funny/comedy RPG introduce PLOT POWER!!! you can ignore or make 1 rule or auto crit 1 roll per day every 3 levels. MUST further the plot and be in character:smallbiggrin:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-08-23, 04:40 PM
I finished the Android and added the Psi-Mutant.
Tell me what you think.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-08-31, 04:18 PM
*Bump!*

C'mon people, contribute!