PDA

View Full Version : hooves!

Heimdol the red
2010-08-05, 05:32 PM
my player wants to in his words "ride something scary", but he is a minitour is that a problem? what i meant to say is having hooves a problem for riding, or can you ride with hooves at all? thanks in advance

RickGriffin
2010-08-05, 05:34 PM
Ain't nothing in the rule book that says a cow can't play basketball!

EDIT: I mean ride a horse.

EDIT EDIT: Unless of course he's much bigger than the horse. I think your mount has to be a size larger than you.

Keld Denar
2010-08-05, 05:36 PM
Having hooves should prevent you from riding as long as your hooved from doesn't have fused ankles. Your ankles are really important for riding, as they are pretty much what you use to steer a horse in combat when both of your hands are busy fighting. Horses and deer don't have fused ankles, but I'm not sure about cows.

If he's a minotaur, the issue might be more weight than body structure...

WarKitty
2010-08-05, 05:38 PM
Meh, I'd just say he has to have a mount that's a size bigger than him (as per rules) and must use exotic saddles (he has to have one specially designed for him).

Moriato
2010-08-05, 05:38 PM
I don't see why hooves would be a problem. Might need bigger stirrups but that's about it. Some commands while horseback riding are givin with your legs, but your feet don't really do anything at all, certainly nothing a hoof couldn't do. You are typically wearing boots while riding, after all, that's pretty much like a hoof.

RickGriffin
2010-08-05, 05:42 PM
Yeah but it's the ankle as stated above; if the minotaur is digitigrade biped, depending on how that works out the ankles would be positioned somewhere between just off the ground and halfway up the shin. So it would at the very least require a much different stirrup design.

Moriato
2010-08-05, 05:50 PM
Yeah but it's the ankle as stated above; if the minotaur is digitigrade biped, depending on how that works out the ankles would be positioned somewhere between just off the ground and halfway up the shin. So it would at the very least require a much different stirrup design.

Agreed, but I'm sure that be overcome without too much trouble.

If I were ruling it, I'd probably throw in a little extra cost for special riding equipment and/or special training for the mount. Unless of course he's buying the horse from minotaurs, who probably figured all that out hundreds of years ago (assuming they have some sort of mount that they ride, traditionally).