View Full Version : Oak Child (3.5 Race) Peach

zenanarchist
2010-08-05, 07:13 PM
Oak Children
A good oak child:

http://images.epilogue.net/users/flasher/dryad3.jpg

An evil oak child:

http://www.keyourcars.com/wp-content/uploads/dryad_by_innerabove.jpg

The race of oak children are wise and hardy with nature flowing through their veins, though due to their reserved culture they have trouble relating and interacting with others.

Oak children appear to be somewhat human although their hair is commonly streaked with vines or vegetation, their skin is deep brown as if they had just emerged from the soil, they even smell like freshly turned earth.

Type: Fey

Traits

A fey possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

* Low-light vision (60ft)
* Proficient with all simple weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
* Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) that it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Fey not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Fey are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
* Fey eat, sleep, and breathe.

Fey are immune to spells that specifically target humanoids but are vulnerable to those that target Fey.

* Wisdom +2 Constitution +2 Charisma -4
* Nature's Friend: Oak Children gain a +4 racial bonus on any Handle Animal, Wild Empathy or any other checks to commune with nature or it's wildlife.
* Oak Child base land speed is 20 feet. However, Oak Children can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
* Spell Like Abilities: 2/day Vine Trip
* Oak Children speak Sylvan as a bonus language.
* An Oak Child ages half as slowly as a human.
* Oak Children gain a +4 racial bonus to Knowledge (Nature) and Survival
* Whenever conversing with Fey, Oak Children gain a +6 circumstance bonus on diplomacy.

*Vine Trip causes vines to sprout from any natural ground (Dirt, grass, cave floor) and attempt a trip against any opponent within 20ft. This uses the Oak Childs Wisdom modifier as if it were their Strength modifier. An Oak Child is always considered to have Improved Trip, when using this ability if it should benefit them in any way.

Lev
2010-08-05, 08:37 PM
The race of oak children are wise and hardy with nature flowing through their veins, though due to their reserved culture they have trouble relating and interacting with others.

Oak children appear to be somewhat human although their hair is commonly streaked with vines or vegetation, their skin is deep brown as if they had just emerged from the soil, they even smell like freshly turned earth.

Wisdom +2 Constitution +2 Charisma -4
Nature's Friend: Oak Children may use their Wisdom modifier in place of their charisma modifier when making any Handle Animal, Wild Empathy or any other checks to commune with nature or it's wildlife.
Oak Child base land speed is 20 feet. However, Oak Children can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
Spell Like Abilities: 2/day Vine Trip *
Insert Nature Born?
Oak Children speak Sylvan as a bonus language.
An Oak Child ages half as slowly as a human.

*Vine Trip causes vines to sprout from any natural ground (Dirt, grass, cave floor) and attempt a trip against any opponent within 20ft. This uses the Oak Childs Wisdom modifier as if it were their Strength modifier. An Oak Child is always considered to have Improved Trip, when using this ability if it should benefit them in any way.

Condensed & Concise'd!
I really like this race, goes well with Stonechild!

zenanarchist
2010-08-05, 08:41 PM
Condensed & Concise'd!
I really like this race, goes well with Stonechild!

Stoked! Also I loved your changes. However, Nature Born had a question mark. Was I...not clear enough or did I word it badly?

Lev
2010-08-05, 09:12 PM
Stoked! Also I loved your changes. However, Nature Born had a question mark. Was I...not clear enough or did I word it badly?

Well, I had a hard time reading it, does it say that enemies in a natural environment take all of these (-1AC, -1 on damage rolls, -1 on attack rolls and -1 to saves vs your spells) per 5HD? I think that if you want to keep that you should add something like knowledge nature checks, + to fort saves vs poisons, and one other thing and change it to LA1?

zenanarchist
2010-08-05, 09:14 PM
Well, I had a hard time reading it, does it say that enemies in a natural environment take -1AC, -1 on damage rolls, -1 on attack rolls and -1 to saves vs your spells per 5HD? I think that if you want to keep that you should add something like knowledge nature checks, + to fort saves vs poisons, and one other thing and change it to LA1?

See I really wanted to avoid +1LA. Any thing I can add without upping it?

Also, yes -1 to AC, damage and attack as well as -1 to save verse ENEMIES spells cast with the nature domain/descriptor.

Lev
2010-08-05, 09:38 PM
See I really wanted to avoid +1LA. Any thing I can add without upping it?

Also, yes -1 to AC, damage and attack as well as -1 to save verse ENEMIES spells cast with the nature domain/descriptor.
Mmm, I'm not sure which way I'd swing the balance at this point, I'd probably make it every 6HD so it goes -1 at 6, -2 at 12 and -3 at 18 but really the point of racial features has always been an immediate gain that enhances the RP dynamic.
You could always add spell-like abilities instead of an untyped vague bonus, like barkskin #/day and such.

I also suggest a diplomacy bonus to Fey and a rather ample bonus to survival checks at least.

zenanarchist
2010-08-05, 09:45 PM
Mmm, I'm not sure which way I'd swing the balance at this point, I'd probably make it every 6HD so it goes -1 at 6, -2 at 12 and -3 at 18 but really the point of racial features has always been an immediate gain that enhances the RP dynamic.
You could always add spell-like abilities instead of an untyped vague bonus, like barkskin #/day and such.

I also suggest a diplomacy bonus to Fey and a rather ample bonus to survival checks at least.

I made some changes. Removed Nature Born

Lev
2010-08-05, 11:30 PM
How about looking at Killoren race from Races of the Wild?

zenanarchist
2010-08-05, 11:39 PM
How about looking at Killoren race from Races of the Wild?

If you can link me that'd be awesome. I'm basically working off SRD and the three core.

I don't really play D and D. Well...I've started on gitp, but I've never played a game in RL so I don't own any of the books 'cept core.

Aran Banks
2010-08-05, 11:48 PM
Got a size and type in there?

I recommend small... and I'm not sure what to do with the type Humanoid (Fey)? I don't think that's a legit type.

zenanarchist
2010-08-05, 11:59 PM
Got a size and type in there?

I recommend small... and I'm not sure what to do with the type Humanoid (Fey)? I don't think that's a legit type.

Really? Small? I was thinking if anything large. But I'm content with medium. I mean they're not sprites. They're tree people. Similar to nymphs.

But yes type....hmm actually I hadn't considered changing beyond Humanoid but now I am.

Aran Banks
2010-08-06, 12:04 AM
wait... I got the idea that they were kids whose growth was inhibited by oak magic or something.

Are they actually baby treants?

zenanarchist
2010-08-06, 12:11 AM
wait... I got the idea that they were kids whose growth was inhibited by oak magic or something.

Are they actually baby treants?

Of a sort. Wow...my post really should of been more fluffed if it's causing this much confusion. Consider a union between a nymph and a treant, Oak Children are that. Medium sized creatures.

The child in the name really makes you think younger, but it's more a hint at their past.

Should I change it to Oak Born? Oak Blood? Wood something or other?

Aran Banks
2010-08-06, 12:20 AM
Oakborn sounds B.A... just about anything with "born" at the end sounds B.A., though. Still, I'm advocating "Oakborn" or "Treeborn"... or "Foresttouched". For something innocent, "Oakling" would be cool.

And if you're going for the Treant + Fey idea, great fluff lies in "A dryad picks a treant as the tree she is tied to"... Actually, that's an AWESOME idea!!

Stolen.

Lev
2010-08-06, 12:21 AM
I thought that Oakchild was more of a shootoff from Dryad except a little more along the lines of a half-dryad-- always pictured it to be medium and the first thing that comes to mind is a Brazilian woman.
I think the name Oakchild is completely reasonable considering Stonechild from Races of Stone sourcebook is medium and quite humanoid.

zenanarchist
2010-08-06, 12:22 AM
Oakborn sounds B.A... just about anything with "born" at the end sounds B.A., though. Still, I'm advocating "Oakborn" or "Treeborn"... or "Foresttouched". For something innocent, "Oakling" would be cool.

And if you're going for the Treant + Fey idea, great fluff lies in "A dryad picks a treant as the tree she is tied to"... Actually, that's an AWESOME idea!!

Stolen.

DAMMIT!

I thought that Oakchild was more of a shootoff from Dryad-- always pictured it to be medium. I think Oakchild is completely reasonable considering Stonechild from Races of Stone sourcebook is medium and quite humanoid.

Yeah I agree. Okay, I think I'll stick with Oak Child or Oakling.

Lev
2010-08-06, 12:24 AM
Yeah I agree. Okay, I think I'll stick with Oak Child or Oakling.
And yet Oakling makes me think Quickling ;]

zenanarchist
2010-08-06, 12:34 AM
And yet Oakling makes me think Quickling ;]

Then that settles it. Oak Child. :smallbiggrin:

Devils_Advocate
2010-08-07, 12:45 PM
You're really kinda reinventing the wheel with Vine Trip. Entangle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/entangle.htm) has the same basic flavor and function.

my post really should of been more fluffed if it's causing this much confusion.
Giving them a specific origin could help to clarify their nature and place in the world, even if it's just a creation myth of dubious veracity rather than canon. This generally seems to be an afterthought at best for D&D races, but that doesn't mean that it's not a good idea.

Consider a union between a nymph and a treant, Medium sized creatures.
They're called dryads (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dryad.htm). :smalltongue:

See I really wanted to avoid +1LA.
Ah, makin' some cheese, then.

Quite frankly, it hardly seems necessary to power up an already overpowered character option, which is what this race is blatantly designed to do. The Druid class isn't really "missing" a race that strongly synergizes with it, as a Druid does not need such a race to be effective.

But it all depends on who you play with, of course. If your group is the sort that doesn't consider something mechanically "good" unless it's clearly superior to the vast majority of alternatives for some purpose, then what you have so far is entirely appropriate.

zenanarchist
2010-08-07, 06:19 PM
You're really kinda reinventing the wheel with Vine Trip. Entangle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/entangle.htm) has the same basic flavor and function.

Giving them a specific origin could help to clarify their nature and place in the world, even if it's just a creation myth of dubious veracity rather than canon. This generally seems to be an afterthought at best for D&D races, but that doesn't mean that it's not a good idea.

They're called dryads (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dryad.htm). :smalltongue:

Ah, makin' some cheese, then.

Quite frankly, it hardly seems necessary to power up an already overpowered character option, which is what this race is blatantly designed to do. The Druid class isn't really "missing" a race that strongly synergizes with it, as a Druid does not need such a race to be effective.

But it all depends on who you play with, of course. If your group is the sort that doesn't consider something mechanically "good" unless it's clearly superior to the vast majority of alternatives for some purpose, then what you have so far is entirely appropriate.

*grins* Good call and criticism accepted. It was for a druid race I was playing and I'm not a good optimiser, but I'm okay at design, so gave myself something from the outset.

Aran Banks
2010-08-07, 07:12 PM

mm. Agreed.

Should be Dryad + Treant guardian. MUCH cooler.

Emphasis mine for the matter of debate.

I feel that the druid doesn't have a very good race of synergy. I mean, we don't need to power up the wizard, but we have gray elves. And CoDzilla never needed any help, but we have ANTHROS (seriously... anthros... what a terrible concept).

But I don't think I've seen a Wis/Con-powered race for the Druid. It bothers me.

I like this idea. It'd be nicer if the SLAs were dropped, though. But it's only as cheesy as an athro-toad.

zenanarchist
2010-08-07, 07:16 PM
mm. Agreed.

Should be Dryad + Treant guardian. MUCH cooler.

Emphasis mine for the matter of debate.

I feel that the druid doesn't have a very good race of synergy. I mean, we don't need to power up the wizard, but we have gray elves. And CoDzilla never needed any help, but we have ANTHROS (seriously... anthros... what a terrible concept).

But I don't think I've seen a Wis/Con-powered race for the Druid. It bothers me.

I like this idea. It'd be nicer if the SLAs were dropped, though. But it's only as cheesy as an athro-toad.

Glad you liked. I'd drop barkskin butnot vine trip. I love the flavor.

I tried to find a picture for this race but ended up finding a bunch of photos of real life people with bark for skin. Disturbing.

MythMage
2010-08-08, 07:21 PM
I like it. Strong, but not too strong if you dump barkskin. If your concept involves fey or treants, the creature type should probably be fey rather than humanoid.

zenanarchist
2010-08-08, 07:28 PM
I like it. Strong, but not too strong if you dump barkskin. If your concept involves fey or treants, the creature type should probably be fey rather than humanoid.

Type is now fey due to popular consensus.

How does that affect a character normally? +2 on enchantment and sleep?

Zaydos
2010-08-08, 07:32 PM
Immune to spells that specifically target humanoids. Vulnerable to spells that specifically target fey. Oh just let me copy paste from the SRD

Traits

A fey possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

* Low-light vision.
* Proficient with all simple weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
* Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) that it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Fey not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Fey are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
* Fey eat, sleep, and breathe.

zenanarchist
2010-08-08, 07:39 PM
Immune to spells that specifically target humanoids. Vulnerable to spells that specifically target fey. Oh just let me copy paste from the SRD

Voila! Done and done.

Any other suggestions before we consider this all done and dusted?

Devils_Advocate
2010-08-09, 07:12 PM
I mean, we don't need to power up the wizard, but we have gray elves.
Gray elves get -2 Str and -2 Con, though, instead of -4 Str or -4 Cha. They also don't get to use their Intelligence score in place of their Strength score to determine their encumbrance by weight. Which wouldn't have lots of power-gaming potential (that I can think of, anyway), but would be flagrant and nonsensical, even if no more so than lots of WotC material.

A straight +4 bonus to Handle Animal and Wild Empathy would bother me less than Nature's Friend. Throw in Wild Empathy and counting as trained in Handle Animal as racial features, even.

While I'm kvetching: Vine Trip also bugs me, but for the same reason as the existence of half a dozen necromancy-oriented Cleric domains bugs me. Wherefore the cramming of new material into already-filled niches, when there remain limitless expanses yet to be covered? WHEREFORE, I ASK. :smalltongue: (Wait, normal spell-like abilities are Charisma-based, as well as based on existing spells. So it's flagrant too...)

But it's only as cheesy as an athro-toad.
Less, really. But still, that's like saying that something doesn't stink as much as a garbage bin. I mean, yeah, Pun-pun and frightened skunks exist, but our awareness of extreme examples seems insufficient to consider a pertinent one, yet unmentioned, to be part of a given conversation. So such use of the word "only" seems odd to me.

I acknowledge that a group's self-aware and exuberant embrace of the "Go, go, power creep!" mentality makes this sort of thing acceptable and even desirable (whereas the rejection of said mentality makes nerfing acceptable and desirable). What more do you want?

zenanarchist
2010-08-09, 07:19 PM
Gray elves get -2 Str and -2 Con, though, instead of -4 Str or -4 Cha. They also don't get to use their Intelligence score in place of their Strength score to determine their encumbrance by weight. Which wouldn't have lots of power-gaming potential (that I can think of, anyway), but would be flagrant and nonsensical, even if no more so than lots of WotC material.

A straight +4 bonus to Handle Animal and Wild Empathy would bother me less than Nature's Friend. Throw in Wild Empathy and counting as trained in Handle Animal as racial features, even.

While I'm kvetching: Vine Trip also bugs me, but for the same reason as the existence of half a dozen necromancy-oriented Cleric domains bugs me. Wherefore the cramming of new material into already-filled niches, when there remain limitless expanses yet to be covered? WHEREFORE, I ASK. :smalltongue: (Wait, normal spell-like abilities are Charisma-based, as well as based on existing spells. So it's flagrant too...)

Less, really. But still, that's like saying that something doesn't stink as much as a garbage bin. I mean, yeah, Pun-pun and frightened skunks exist, but our awareness of extreme examples seems insufficient to consider a pertinent one, yet unmentioned, to be part of a given conversation. So such use of the word "only" seems odd to me.

I acknowledge that a group's self-aware and exuberant embrace of the "Go, go, power creep!" mentality makes this sort of thing acceptable and even desirable (whereas the rejection of said mentality makes nerfing acceptable and desirable). What more do you want?

You write well. Just a note.

Secondly, vine trip seems to bug a few people, but I loved it. You don't necessarily have to be a druid in this class. What if you're a ranger with just a little more connection to the earth? Etc etc.

+4 bonus seems minimal compared to Wis to these checks. Is not making a wise judgement call on the best way to train an animal/temper an animal/interact with an animal a fair call? Wisdom of ages wrapped around a pure connection to animals and plants?

But the fact you wrote it so well does leave me in some concurrence to your points.

Zaydos
2010-08-09, 09:48 PM
Personally I like Vine Trip because it's not just Entangle. For the wild empathy/handle animal checks, no actually a +4 is a much smaller bonus than the ability to use Wisdom instead of Charisma. An oakchild druid can put an 8 in charisma (becoming a 4) and then an 18 in Wisdom (becoming 20). This makes the ability to use Wisdom instead a +8 bonus at 1st level and one that will only increase with each level. Now personally I wouldn't want a charisma of 4 so I'd put a 10 or 12 in it, but even then it is a +6 bonus at 1st level and increases as you increase in level. Really this is likely a +6 bonus at 1st level, and possibly a +15 at 20th. So I have to agree make it merely a +4 bonus to the skill/ability; that still makes them better at the skill/ability than their human counterparts.

a.k.a. no race gets a racial +15 to a skill, and no race really needs one. +4 is minimal in comparison, but that is a good thing.

zenanarchist
2010-08-12, 09:29 PM
Personally I like Vine Trip because it's not just Entangle. For the wild empathy/handle animal checks, no actually a +4 is a much smaller bonus than the ability to use Wisdom instead of Charisma. An oakchild druid can put an 8 in charisma (becoming a 4) and then an 18 in Wisdom (becoming 20). This makes the ability to use Wisdom instead a +8 bonus at 1st level and one that will only increase with each level. Now personally I wouldn't want a charisma of 4 so I'd put a 10 or 12 in it, but even then it is a +6 bonus at 1st level and increases as you increase in level. Really this is likely a +6 bonus at 1st level, and possibly a +15 at 20th. So I have to agree make it merely a +4 bonus to the skill/ability; that still makes them better at the skill/ability than their human counterparts.

a.k.a. no race gets a racial +15 to a skill, and no race really needs one. +4 is minimal in comparison, but that is a good thing.

Added the permanent bonus instead of variable by modifier. Kept Vine Trip, I like it as an ability.

Lev
2010-08-12, 10:47 PM
At this point I think a picture would really help define what an Oakchild really is because a Stonechild (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ros_gallery/83302.jpg) sounds very vague until it is given a picture.

zenanarchist
2010-08-12, 11:39 PM
At this point I think a picture would really help define what an Oakchild really is because a Stonechild (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ros_gallery/83302.jpg) sounds very vague until it is given a picture.

Your wish is my command. Done and done.

Aran Banks
2010-08-13, 12:46 AM
So evil Oakchildren are less human-looking than good Oakchildren?

How racist.

zenanarchist
2010-08-13, 12:48 AM
....Bahahaha. I entirely apologise to the Oak children race. Next time I shall search through the entire internets and come up with at least 1 gazillion photos to show the broad spectrum. :smallyuk:

Aran Banks
2010-08-13, 12:51 AM
Of course! If you don't, the NAATP (National Association for the Advancement of Tree-like People) will come after you!

Now that the crunch is done, how do you feel about outlining some of the fluff?

zenanarchist
2010-08-13, 12:54 AM
No worries. In between Arcanum and finishing my Biomancer homebrew. Let's say I'll have some fluff for the oakborn in the next *thinks* 3 days max.

Lev
2010-08-13, 01:17 AM
Ah very interesting, they grow differently depending on their morality and view respect of life!

zenanarchist
2010-08-13, 01:20 AM
Ah very interesting, they grow differently depending on their morality and view respect of life!

That'll be in the fluff ;-)