PDA

View Full Version : Storm Swordsman (3.5 PrC)

Zaydos
2010-08-05, 10:24 PM
Well I was bored and had nothing to do so I took a piece of paper and a notebook and made a prestige class. It's actually based on a 3.0 class I made when... well when I still played 3.0 (7 years ago? woah), okay technically the first time I tried to make a base class. It was inspired by Crono (from Chrono Trigger; swordsman with lightning spells) although it swiftly diverged from him and became a swordsman that could charge his sword with lightning. Well I lost the original years ago when my old computer died so I made it as a PrC since it ought to have been a PrC to begin with.

The Fluff:
In the kingdom of Gars there exists an order of warriors. Elite soldiers trained upon the tops of the Gray Storm Mountains, they spend years mastery their skills. These soldiers act as shock troopers in Gars' many wars against neighboring territories, using their speed and maneuverability to cut through enemy armies like a bolt of lightning. (I forgot the original name of the kingdom)

They'd actually probably work better as holy warriors devoted to Thor or some other thunder god but that was the original fluff I gave them.

The Crunch:
Prerequisites:
BAB: +5
Base Reflex Save: +2
Skills: Balance 3 ranks, Jump 3 ranks, Tumble 3 ranks.
Feats: Dodge.
Maneuvers: Any one desert wind maneuver.

Storm Swordsman
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|
1|
0|
0|Lightning Blade

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|
0|
0|
0|Armor of Storms, Desert Lightning

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|
0|
1|
0|Evasion, Electricity Resistance 10

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|
1|
0|
0|Storm Leap, Overcome Resistance

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|
0|
0|
1|Improved Lightning Blade, Thundering Charge

6th|
+6|
+5|
+5|
+2|
0|
1|
0|Improved Evasion, Electricity Resistance 20

7th|
+7|
+5|
+5|
+2|
1|
0|
0|Thundering Step

8th|
+8|
+6|
+6|
+2|
0|
0|
0|Thundering Critical

9th|
+9|
+6|
+6|
+3|
0|
1|
0|Electricity Immunity, Surpass Immunity

10th|
+10|
+7|
+7|
+3|
1|
0|
0|Superior Lightning Blade, Storm Rider, True Lightning Strike[/table]

HD: d10
Skills: 4 + Int per level
Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Knowledge (Nature) (Int), Martial Lore (Int), Profession (Wis), Tumble (Dex).
I gave them the knowledge skills so that however you decide to fluff their power source they can actually have the appropriate knowledge for it. Concentration is so they can mix with ToB better although they don't get maneuvers.
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Storm Swordsman gains no proficiency in any weapons or armor.
Martial Maneuvers: A Storm Swordsman chooses his maneuvers and stances from the Desert Wind discipline. If he already has a class that grants martial maneuvers and a means to recover maneuvers he continues to use that method. If he does not already have a recovery method he now recovers his maneuvers whenever he successfully scores a critical hit in melee combat.
Lightning Blade (Su): Any melee weapon a Storm Swordsman wields is wreathed in electricity causing it to deal 1d6+1/2 class level electricity damage on each hit in addition to its normal damage. This effect ends the moment a Storm Swordsman releases the weapon and therefore cannot be used with thrown or ranged weapons.
Armor of Storms: A Storm Swordsman studies how to fight in light or no armor. This requires them to master techniques to avoid the attacks of foes. Starting at 2nd level a Storm Swordsman adds his Charisma bonus to AC. He loses this bonus when wearing medium armor or a shield, or when carrying a medium or heavier load.
Desert Lightning: Starting at 2nd level whenever a Storm Swordsman uses a Desert Wind maneuver that deals fire damage he may choose to have it deal electricity damage instead.
Evasion (Ex): As rogue ability of the same name.
Storm Leap (Su): A Storm Swordsman learns to move like the wind. Starting at 4th level a Storm Swordsman gains a fly speed equal to his land speed with average maneuverability. A Storm Swordsman may not use this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor, or carrying a medium or heavier load.
Overcome Resistance (Su): Starting at 4th level a Storm Swordsman's lightning blade ability and any Desert Wind maneuver he uses ignores the first 10 points of electricity resistance of any creature it hits. In addition it reduces the pool of electricity resistance granted by Protection from Elements of any target by an extra 10 with every attack.
Improved Lightning Blade (Su): Starting at 5th level a Storm Swordsman's lightning blade ability improves. The extra electricity damage increases to 2d6+1/2 class level.
Thundering Charge (Su): Starting at 5th level a Storm Swordsman deals +3d6 sonic damage on the first successful attack made as part of a charge. In addition the target of the attack must make a Will save (DC 10 + Class level + Cha) or be shaken.
Improved Evasion (Ex): As rogue ability of same name.
Thunder Step (Su): A Storm Swordsman learns to move like the lightning bolt, leaving crashing thunder in his wake. Starting at 7th level as part of a full-attack action a Storm Swordsman may move his speed. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity, and any creature adjacent to the Storm Swordsman at any point of the movement takes 3d6 sonic damage (Fort save DC 10 + Class level + Cha modifier for half damage). He may move before any attacks, between attacks, or after all his attacks, but the Storm Swordsman may not use this ability to move, attack, and then move again. Once the Storm Swordsman uses this ability he may not use it again for 1d4 rounds. A Storm Swordsman may not use this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor, or carrying a medium or heavier load.
Thundering Critical: Starting at 8th level a Storm Swordsman deals extra sonic damage with his melee attacks on a critical hit. Whenever he scores a critical hit with a melee attack it deals +Xd6 sonic damage where X is his weapon's critical hit multiplier.
Surpass Immunity (Su): Starting at 9th level a Storm Swordsman's Lightning Blade and any Desert Wind maneuver he may use ignores an enemy's electricity resistance, and any electricity immunity granted by a spell or spell-like ability. In addition it deals half damage against a creature naturally immune to electricity.
Superior Lightning Blade (Su): Starting at 10th level a Storm Swordsman's lightning blade improves again. The extra electricity damage it grants now equals 3d6 + 1/2 class level.
Storm Ride (Su): A Storm Swordsman when he reaches the pinnacle of his skill is all but at one with the storm, and may move as if he was an extension of it. A Storm Swordsman gains a fly speed with perfect maneuverability equal to twice his land speed. A Storm Swordsman may not use this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor, or carrying a medium or heavier load.
True Lightning Strike (Su): A Storm Swordsman's ultimate battle technique allows them to fill their weapon with lightning. Once per encounter, as a swift action, a Storm Swordsman may declare his next attack a True Lightning Strike. This attack deals an extra +3d6+10 electricity damage (in addition to Superior Lightning Blade) and the target must make a Fort save (DC 10 + Class Level + Charisma modifier) or be stunned for 1 round. For each attack the Storm Swordsman has hit the target with since the end of his last turn this ability deals +1d6+2 damage and the save DC is increased by 2. This ability is expended on a miss.

So what does the playground think of this? Too strong? Too weak? Too bleh?

PS: Achh while I took a break in typing to eat supper another lightning themed (or at least as far as naming goes) melee PrC got posted. Kind of have to laugh at that one.

al'raith
2010-08-06, 11:59 AM
As far as I can tell it seems pretty good, but you maybe need some spellcasting prerequisuite in there and maybe lightning reflexs for feat tax?

Siosilvar
2010-08-06, 12:02 PM
PS: Achh while I took a break in typing to eat supper another lightning themed (or at least as far as naming goes) melee PrC got posted. Kind of have to laugh at that one.

Tha'd be mine. :smallbiggrin: It's more of the quickdraw, although it does get an actual lightning power as its capstone (at 3rd level).

That said, if you're going to mess around with Desert Wind stuff, why not require a Desert Wind maneuver? That's a feat tax or a level of Swordsage.

...why do they get good Fortitude and Will saves? Seems a bit odd for me.

More after I eat.

Lightning Blade (Su)Why does this A) not stack with other electricity damage and B) not apply to thrown weapons? Javelins that turn into lightning bolts are a standard of D&D.

Armor of StormsStandard fare, ability to AC. Stacks with Swordsage Wis to AC, so it's decent.

Desert LightningGood change, and makes sense for the class - except that they don't get any Desert Wind maneuvers. Perhaps a maneuver progression for Desert Wind? You don't even have to advance IL for other disciplines, and could give them their own initiating/recovery method.

Storm Leap (Su)Interesting ability... can't say much else about it.

Overcome Resistance (Su)Something any single-element user should have.

Thundering Charge (Su)This, I like. Maybe add a save against being Shaken to it.

Thundering CriticalSonic damage that's electrical damage that doesn't stack with sonic damage? Perhaps some clarification is in order...

Supreme Lightning Blade (Su), Storm Ride (Su)Decent. I'd suggest adding something else to 10th level though, as a capstone. Flight is something everybody else has been using for 10 levels already.

Surpass Immunity's wording is a little wonky. What does "and any electricity damage granted by a spell or spell-like ability." mean?

Zaydos
2010-08-06, 12:34 PM
...why do they get good Fortitude and Will saves? Seems a bit odd for me.

That would be me putting the good save in the wrong column.

Sonic damage that's electrical damage that doesn't stack with sonic damage? Perhaps some clarification is in order...

Originally I had it as electric damage and that was missed when I retyped it as sonic.

As for surpass immunity I accidentally used damage in place of immunity there, should be fixed now.

I need to work on my proof-reading skills.

FlamingKobold
2010-08-06, 12:54 PM
Storm leap could easily be replaced by the effects of storm ride at the level you're getting it, but maybe with average or god maneuverability. It's level 9, minimum, which is two spell levels after fly. Then maybe at level 10, you can have twice landspeed with perfect.

Zaydos
2010-08-06, 01:01 PM
Storm leap could easily be replaced by the effects of storm ride at the level you're getting it, but maybe with average or god maneuverability. It's level 9, minimum, which is two spell levels after fly. Then maybe at level 10, you can have twice landspeed with perfect.

I think I'll do that. Does make me want to give them a slightly better capstone... I'll be thinking about what, though. Also I am thinking of Siosilvar's suggestion of giving them some Desert Wind progression (maybe 3 maneuvers known, 2 readied, and 1 stance over 10 levels?). Originally I just gave them the Desert Lightning in case some swordsage randomly wanted this class, but it does seem thematically appropriate. I've only played a little that actually used Tome of Battle so I'm a little uncertain with home brew using it.

FlamingKobold
2010-08-06, 01:09 PM
Just for ideas, here are some abilities I made for the storm domain for my paladin redux. Of course, these are for rough ideas on what storm-related abilities can do in one certain aspect, and probably not directly transferable./shameless self-plug

Stormwalker [Storm]

The paladin gains sonic and electricity resistance 5. This bonus doubles at 4th level and every four levels thereafter. At 20th level, the paladin gains sonic and electricity immunity.

Storm Ward [Storm]

The subject is immune to being paralyzed, dazed, stunned or deafened. Additionally, if the subject is not the paladin, they gain the resistances granted by the Storm domain ability.

Stormbringer [Storm]

All enemies within 30’ must make a reflex save or take 1d6 damage per class level of the paladin. The damage is one half electricity and one half sonic. If creature fails its first save, it must make a fortitude save or be knocked prone.

Wall of Storms [Storm]

The paladin creates a 100’ tall wall of dark clouds and lightning within 10 feet per class level that is either 20’ long per level and straight or a 100’ tall dome with a radius of 5’ per 2 levels. Enemies must succeed on a fortitude save to pass through the wall. If they succeed, they take 1d6 damage per two class levels half sonic and half electricity and they are either deafened or blinded, at the paladin’s discretion.

Storm of Faith [Storm]

All enemies within 10 feet per paladin level are blinded (Reflex negates) and deafened (Fortitude negates). Additionally, they take 1d6 damage per level, which is half electricity and half sonic (Reflex for half).

Edit: I like the idea of giving them desert wind progression. I was very confused at the prereq and the ability to change their damage to electricity, without actually improving initiation at all.

Zaydos
2010-08-06, 10:44 PM
Made a few edits.

Small change: Removed non-stacking clause from Lightning Blade; it can now work with a Shock weapon for more lightning goodness.

Big changes: Gave them martial progression, and True Lightning Strike.

They can only get Desert Wind maneuvers but their class abilities should help overcome most of its major weakness. I also gave them a unique way to recover maneuvers that they gain only if they do not already have a recovery method, not sure if it is a balanced one though (i.e. please critique). True Lighting Strike lets them stun enemies once per encounter and deal extra damage.

FlamingKobold
2010-08-07, 12:04 AM
I like the new recovery mechanic, I must say. I'm not sure if that it's really random (rather than a straight full round action) is good or bad though.

Zaydos
2010-08-07, 12:28 AM
I figured it's only for those that get in with fighter levels (or other non-ToB melee) so it's better than nothing, and at the same time not as good as say a warblade's or even a swordsage's. I think this might cause many of them to wield scimitars or other high critical weapons (coupled with Keen) but I actually like the idea of encouraging them to get critical hits just seems to work for a warrior who strikes like lightning. Might post a sample character at Lv 1, 5 and 10 in the PrC sometime if I get around to it (not tonight though).

FlamingKobold
2010-08-07, 12:29 AM
Yeah, that's why I like it. It's unique, flavorful, and not as good as the initiating classes.

Stycotl
2010-08-07, 03:49 PM
They'd actually probably work better as holy warriors devoted to Thor or some other thunder god but that was the original fluff I gave them.

so... change it.

that's the nice thing about being the creator: you can change it to what you think is better. it doesn't have to stay true to the rough draft version just because.

I gave them the knowledge skills so that however you decide to fluff their power source they can actually have the appropriate knowledge for it. Concentration is so they can mix with ToB better although they don't get maneuvers.

that still needs to be updated since they get desert wind maneuvers now. also, knowledge (nature) seems appropriate to me considering their elemental power. i'd actually chuck knowledge (religion) for that.

If he does not already have a recovery method he now recovers his maneuvers whenever he successfully scores a critical hit in melee combat.

you realize that some people are going to be recovering maneuvers multiple times per round now?

lightning blade

i like this one, though i don't see why you need to exclude thrown attacks.

Armor of Storms: A Storm Swordsman studies how to fight in light or no armor. This requires them to master techniques to avoid the attacks of foes. Starting at 2nd level a Storm Swordsman adds his Charisma bonus to AC. He loses this bonus when wearing medium armor or a shield, or when carrying a medium or heavier load.

i don't get why that would use the charisma bonus. if anything, it seems like it should be wisdom or intelligence. if you want it to be charisma, state that it is because of the swordsman's force of personality or something.

desert lightning

i was hoping that there would be something like this. cool stuff.

Storm Leap

another good one. giving melee nice toys since 2009.

Overcome Resistance

seems clunky to me. for one, i think it is somewhat redundant, though they do have different effects, to both ignore resistance and to lower it. i'd just pick one.

second, why only lower resistance granted by one spell? why not the rest of the spells, psionic powers, supernatural abilities, etc, that grant electricity resistance? i'd have it lower any resistance for the duration of the encounter.

Thundering Charge

nice.

Thunder Step

very cool idea, but i think that the damage it inflicts is trivial at this level (12th and higher), especially with a save. i'd either get rid of the save, or increase the damage to 1/class level (at least).

Thundering Critical: Starting at 8th level a Storm Swordsman deals extra sonic damage with his melee attacks on a critical hit. Whenever he scores a critical hit with a melee attack it deals +Xd6 sonic damage where X is his weapon's critical hit multiplier. This ability does not stack with any other sonic damage his melee attacks may already deal except for Thundering Charge.

i might be dense, but what does the bolded portion apply to? how would it stack in the first place?

Surpass Immunity

this works very well here.

Storm Ride

i'd do at least x2 land speed for this level.

true lightning strike

a nice boost as a capstone.

Zaydos
2010-08-07, 04:05 PM
Added tumble to skill list, swapped Knowledge (the Planes) for Knowledge (Nature).

Removed non-stacking line on Thundering Critical (that was a hold over from before other changes).

Trying to figure out how to clarify the wording on Overcome Resistance. I guess I could try something like "It treats all electricity resistance as if it were 10 lower" instead of "ignores the first 10 points of electricity resistance". The clause about protection from energy is because unlike other spells that give energy resistance, protection from energy gives 12 times caster level (so hundreds at high levels) but it is reduced by the amount of damage of that energy type taken each time, so this would mean that they shave off an extra 10 points of energy resistance from that. Have to figure out the wording a bit better I guess.

With Thunder Step the damage is mostly meant to be trivial. The real point of the ability is to allow movement in the middle of a full-attack action so that you can move 30-ft to reach an enemy or if you take out one enemy you can move to another. Might still up the damage a bit.

As for the maneuver recovery method that's why I especially called it out because I thought it seemed neat and flavorful but I am far from sure of the balance. It would probably encourage boosts as they can be performed with swift actions during a full attack and critical hit builds so that they can just chain critical hits. Heavily considering just removing it, or maybe making it only on a nat 20.

Edit: I had thought I had written Storm Ride up as twice his land speed. Must have left that out when I was copying from my notebook.