PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e]Looking for a simple ranged character

Prplcheez
2010-08-05, 11:06 PM
Any non-spellcasting character that pretty much sits back and fires arrows (or crossbow bolts). Character is level 1, homebrew is fine, any 3.5e sourcebook is fine. Links or references to which books used (I'm very bad at remembering what is in what book) would be appreciated. Was thinking about a Fighter, a Ranger variant, or a Scout, but I'm not sure which would be the best. Campaign is overall low optimization.

Thanks in advance.

Also, which book is Scout in? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

EDIT: Found Scout, and think I've settled on it, but other ideas are still welcome.

Kylarra
2010-08-05, 11:14 PM
I was going to say warlock or DFA actually. Allows you to fire all day long without regards to weapons or ammunition and you have invocations if you want to use them.

Escheton
2010-08-05, 11:19 PM
so...any char with a weapon prof that benefits from high dex.
Dread necromancer, weapon prof: longbow, rest simple. Light armor, couple of spells.
Feat: tomb tainted soul. All the healing you could ever want.

HunterOfJello
2010-08-05, 11:53 PM
Scout, Ranged Rogue (Halfing racial levels are good for this), Warlock, Magic Missle Mage

There's a homebrew discipline for Swordsages that uses ranged attacks that would probably be best.

I've wanted to try using a Totemist with Rapid Shot on a Manticore Belt that's been bound to the totem chakra in order to be set up as a ranged character, but that's a bit more complicated.

Serpentine
2010-08-06, 12:00 AM
Some homebrew stuff here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152550).

Volos
2010-08-06, 12:30 AM
Strongheart Halfling Rogue
You get +2 Dex racial, +1d6 damage in sneak attack, and a bonus feat.
Take Weapon Focus Crossbow (any) from Players Handbook
Take Crossbow Sniper from Players Handbook 2

You get a bonus to dex from your race, a bonus to attack rolls from small size (+1), half of your dex mod to damage (Crossbow Sniper), and you can sneak attack from 60ft (Crossbow Sniper)

Runeclaw
2010-08-07, 12:05 PM
EDIT: Found Scout, and think I've settled on it, but other ideas are still welcome.

Scout 3 and then Ranger, with the Swift Hunter feat.

There are some tricks with Travel Devotion and possibly a level of Cleric to let you get scrimage damage on full attacks, but you may not need this in a low optimization game.