PDA

View Full Version : Aura Guardian (Pokemon inspired ToB PrC)

Zaydos
2010-08-06, 03:27 AM
Did that catch your interest? Well if you're reading this it apparently did. Well it started with my little brother wanting me to stat out Lucario (probably from Super Smash Bros. Brawl) and ended with me making a Tome of Battle prestige class based on Lucario and his trainer from the 8th pokemon movie. So without further adieu the

Aura Guardian

Fluff:
You master the power of Aura, which flows through and connects all life. Using the Force Aura you can see without using your eyes, you can also concentrate your Ki Aura into a sphere to blast your enemies and even extend your melee reach.
It is your duty to protect the world and other Pokemon and stop Pokemon from ever again being used in all out-war.

Okay Pokemon stuff aside, it's a class that gets the ability to use Ki to extend its melee reach with unarmed attacks, fire off balls of pure ki to attack enemies, and gets the ability to sense foes by saturating an aura with its Ki. It could be used for warrior-monks that need a certain special feel, or to duplicate some elements of Asian martial arts anime and the like.

Note: I love pokemon and Lucario is my 4th favorite (after Salamence, Mewtwo, and Charizard but I can't help but be rather non-serious with the fluff on this; possibly because throughout Lucario and the Mystery of Mew I was laughing about how much it sounded like the Force).

And now the Crunch
Aura Guardian
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|
1|
0|Aura Sphere 1/encounter, Monk Abilities

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|
0|
0|Blindsense 30-ft

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|
1|
1|Rechargeable Aura Sphere, Extreme Speed

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|
0|
0|Blindsight 30-ft

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|
1|
0|Focus Blast 1/encounter, Arms of Aura[/table]

Prerequisites:
BAB: +4
Feats: Superior Unarmed Strike (or Monk's Unarmed Strike ability).
Skills: Concentration 9 ranks, Tumble 9 ranks.
Martial Maneuvers: At least 1 supernatural maneuver level 2 or higher, and one maneuver from two of Desert Wind, Diamond Mind, and Shadow Hand.

HD: d8.
Skills: 4 + Int
Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (History) (Int), Knowledge (Local) (Int), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) (Int), Listen (Wis), Martial Lore (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Tumble (Dex).
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Aura Guardians gain no armor or weapon proficiencies.

Martial Maneuvers: An aura guardian chooses his martial maneuver from the Desert Wind, Diamond Mind, and Shadow Hand disciplines.
Monk Abilities: An aura guardian has the monk's unarmed strike and monk's AC bonus of a monk with a level equal to his class level, or his levels in aura guardian stack with those in monk (or unarmed swordsage :smallwink:) for determining his unarmed strike and AC bonus.
Aura Sphere (Su): 1/encounter an aura guardian may gather aura from the area about him, forming it into a sphere he launches at his opponent. This is a ranged touch attack with a range of 400-ft +40-ft per class level which ignores cover and concealment less than total. On a successful hit the target takes 1d10 force damage per class level.
Blindsense (Su): An aura guardian is so intone with aura he can sense the disturbances that creatures and objects make in it. At 2nd level an aura guardian gains blindsense out to a range of 30-ft.
Rechargeable Aura Sphere (Su): Starting at 3rd level when an aura guardian recovers his maneuvers he also regains the use of his aura sphere for that encounter.
Extreme Speed (Ex): An aura guardian may move with a burst of lightning-like speed. A 3rd level or higher aura guardian may move up to double his land speed 1/encounter as a swift action.
Blindsight (Su): At 4th level the finesse with which an aura guardian may sense aura increases such that he now has blindsight instead of blindsense.
Focus Blast (Su): At 5th level an aura guardian gains the ability to release a powerful blast of aura. Doing so is extremely strenuous and leaves him tired and weakened afterward. 1/encounter as a standard action they may make a ranged touch attack at a -5 penalty with a range of 60-ft, if they hit they deal 15d6+30 damage. Regardless they are left exhausted for 1 round, then fatigued for 3.
Arms of Aura (Su): While you are in a Desert Wind, Diamond Mind, or Shadow Hand stance you may forgo its benefit to gain the benefit of Arms of Aura. This ability lasts as long as you would maintain your Desert Wind, Diamond Mind, or Shadow Hand stance. You can also stop using Arms of Aura and regain the normal benefit of your stance as a swift action.
While using Arms of Aura your melee reach with your unarmed strikes is increased by 10-ft as your aura projects out from your fists as a material force.

Also
Lucario (Race)

+4 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Wis
Medium Monstrous Humanoid
Speed: 40-ft
DR 1 +1/2 character level/adamantine
Natural Initiator: A lucario's initiator level is increased by 2 for all initiating classes.
Bonus Feats: Martial Study and Improved Unarmed Strike
LA: +2 (or should it be +3?)

Ziegander
2010-09-20, 11:49 AM
I think this is a pretty great class, good sir! It represents Lucario nicely, and would make a fine addition to any SSBB ToB compendium! :smalltongue:

Zaydos
2010-09-20, 12:52 PM
Thanks. I don't know if it is balanced or not, I haven't tested it and actually had rather forgotten about it. I hope this isn't thread necromancy :smallredface:

Ziegander
2010-09-20, 01:18 PM
It looks very balanced to me. One minor flaw: 5th level for a medium BAB class still only has +3 attack bonus.

Zaydos
2010-09-20, 01:22 PM
I'm going to assume that was a typo and I intended it to have medium BAB instead of some weird unique progression.

DracoDei
2010-09-26, 12:58 PM
I would CONSIDER making Aura Sphere and Focus Blast strikes that don't count against your number of maneuvers readied... seems... tidier to me somehow than making them 1/encounter special abilities. As per usual for strikes granted by PrCs they woulding belong to any particular discipline.

Zaydos
2010-09-26, 08:49 PM
It is tidier for warblades and swordsages and it's a nice idea (neither would be game breaking to use more than 1/encounter) but it becomes a little messy with crusaders due to their granted maneuvers system it would either have to grant extra maneuvers (like readied maneuvers from PrCs usually do for a crusader) which would make them stronger or it would make them weaker by cluttering their granted maneuvers.