PDA

View Full Version : Random Inspiring People

The Succubus
2010-08-06, 04:50 AM
Howdy,

Just had a rather odd but pleasant experience. There's a type of appointment I have to do as an audiologist and normally, I can't stand it. It goes on for about an hour during which time I repeat the same words I repeat a thousand times at a thousand similar appointments. Today though, was different.

The patient I saw was an audiologist from a long time ago - someone that had done the same job and knew well the hazards and difficulties I had to deal with. I rarely make small talk in my appointments, usually because I lack the time to do so. This time I was almost V-like in my talking ability and was actively interested in what my patient was telling me about his past and views on the world.

The appointment left me with a feeling I've heard other people call "job satisfaction" and feeling inspired. Has this ever happened to any of you - a random stranger saying or doing something that has changed your outlook on things, if even only for a brief moment?

rakkoon
2010-08-06, 04:57 AM
I once made a huge faux pas with a friend and was so confused I took the train to a completely different city. On the train I kept trying to call that friend but he never answered.

A slightly older gentlemen heard my pleas on the phone and started talking about what was wrong. He asked all the right questions ans really let me think for myself about them. It was exactly what I needed.

Since I'll never take that train again I'll never meet him again. Strange experience.

Extra_Crispy
2010-08-07, 01:05 AM
I cant get into too much detail because of HIPPA but my patient (I am a nurse) last night, my very old patient, was the sweetest lady and at one point reached out and touched my arm and said "thank you sweetheart" That made my night.

When I was in the hospital for my car accident I was finally to the point where I was leaving the burn unit and heading to a different hospital and rehabilitation. They had a guy that was leaving the hospital come and talk to me, again without too much detail, he was less burned than me but also had NO support. I had LOTS of support. Anyway he took the time to show me that things get better, there is a future, etc. Later when I went to group counseling sessions for burn survivers I assumed that role and helped many others to see that there is a future. I was able to do that mostly because of my own personality but some because of that guy.