PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Magic Item Pricing: "Robe of Archmagi without Spell Resistance"

Chrizzt
2010-08-06, 06:43 AM
Hello!

How much would a robe of the archmagi cost, if it didn't provide the Spell Resistance 18 effect? I am not quite used with magic item pricing, so perhaps someone familiar with the rules could help me?

All the abilities of the robe are nice, but Spell Resistance 18 seems quite useless to me, as almost any caster of mediocre level will most of the time overcome it. Or are there functions of Spell Resistance that I am not aware of?

Thank you!

tyckspoon
2010-08-06, 07:04 AM
Spell Resistance 21 is 90,000 (Mantle of Spell Resistance). Spell Resistance 17 is a minimum of 25,000 (Armor of Spell Resistance 17, +4 equivalent, minimum +5 value armor.) So... somewhere between those two in cost reduction.

And no, you're not missing much; Spell Resistance tends to be very expensive on items, to the point where it's not high enough to be of much use by the time you can afford it. It mostly ends up as a way of protecting you from 100-Kobold-Sorcerer1 ambush situations (could be useful if your DM likes to give his NPCs wands and other low CL means of casting, but will get blown through by any serious spell threat.)

Arbitrarity
2010-08-06, 08:27 AM
I'd put it around 50000. The armor bonus and resistance bonus are worth 41000 on their own, and the CL for SR is probably somewhere around 10000, but you get the alignment specific discount, and the amalgamated items (See: Vest of the Archmagi. Scary item) tend to actually be a bit of a bargain. 55-60000 are also valid possibilities, but seriously, +2 CL for spell penetration isn't THAT hard to get. Ring of Arcane Might and Orange Ioun Stone each give +1 CL for ALL purposes, which has considerably more power (damage dice, duration, effect for GMW and similar spells)

Fouredged Sword
2010-08-06, 08:33 AM
THe DMG calls for items with spell resistance and nothing else to cost 10,000 gp per point of SR over 12, 13 minimum.