PDA

View Full Version : Apprentices of Damia (IC)

Sir_Chivalry
2010-08-06, 11:03 AM
The city of Damia bustles with business and the affairs one would associate with a capital city, especially one built by mages. A city run both by the guilds and a small council of mages, Damia rises out of the dusty plain a lush megalith in the stark nature around it.

But most people don't get to see the impressive vistas and wonderous marvels of Damia. No, most are trapped in the shadow of the great towers, titanic cathedrals and floating libraries of the mages and priests of Damia. In this shadow live those who would be the next generation of import, apprentices to great men and women who came before, all living in the crowded apprentices district, a place of learning and competition. Today, two apprentices are having a duel over some slight or another, and a small crowd has gathered.

arguskos
2010-08-06, 12:43 PM
A nondescript human male dressed in basic mage robes stands nearby, watching the duel with a slight sardonic smile on his lips. He carries a bladed staff made of wrought-iron with ivory inlays in one hand lazily, and with the other he gestures to his companion, a fellow apprentice, this one female, who leans on his shoulder happily as he talks. "See Tania, I told you they'd fight it out. He can't control his impulses. Should be a fine duel though." He smiles wider, and kisses her on the cheek as the duel begins.

OOC:

This is Phineas. Thanks to his Shiftweave and alter self at will, he can look like basically anyone whenever he wants to (which is all the time).

Tania is some random apprentice I just invented that he's been *ahem*romancing*ahem* (:smallwink:). Hope that's fine.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-08-09, 11:43 AM
A nondescript human male dressed in basic mage robes stands nearby, watching the duel with a slight sardonic smile on his lips. He carries a bladed staff made of wrought-iron with ivory inlays in one hand lazily, and with the other he gestures to his companion, a fellow apprentice, this one female, who leans on his shoulder happily as he talks. "See Tania, I told you they'd fight it out. He can't control his impulses. Should be a fine duel though." He smiles wider, and kisses her on the cheek as the duel begins.

OOC:

This is Phineas. Thanks to his Shiftweave and alter self at will, he can look like basically anyone whenever he wants to (which is all the time).

Tania is some random apprentice I just invented that he's been *ahem*romancing*ahem* (:smallwink:). Hope that's fine.

Tania blushes from the show of affection, and grabs tightly onto Phineas' robes when the flashy spells start firing.

Temotei
2010-08-09, 01:08 PM
A tiny, brown-haired phanaton with unusually neat hair stands uncomfortably close to the duel, apparently watching so intently that he is unaware of the danger he's currently in. His big, round brown eyes matching his hair flicker from duelist to duelist behind little eyeglasses, noting their movements and offenses with keen interest.

Lyndworm
2010-08-09, 11:02 PM
A hulk of a man watches the festivities from a few rows back. Head above the crowd, his view is unimpeded. "An excellent show, but nothing more than that." he says to no one in particular. "The duelists have much passion, much pride... but no real desire to do harm! One will yield and the other will accept. No danger is truly present." The big man seems almost disgusted at his own revelation.

arguskos
2010-08-09, 11:21 PM
Overhearing the hulkers comment, Phineas responds over the crowd, "Ah, but there is risk! Reputation, my good man, reputation! When one has that on the line, they'll do anything to protect it."

Temotei
2010-08-10, 01:55 AM
Opol turns around, looking at Phineas, pushing his eyeglasses up his tiny nose closer to big brown eyes. I find that a besmirched reputation can be as enjoyable as one not so! It's certainly more often interesting, is it not? Opol hops a little as he says this.

OoC: I'll be using each disguise's name when Roan is using it, though thoughts will be narrated with Roan in mind.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-08-14, 12:09 PM
One of the duelists, a willowy man in green robes, is battered aside by his opponent's spells, and falls into the crowd. The duel appears to be over.

Lyndworm
2010-08-14, 12:58 PM
"And the smaller man yields..." The giant man seems saddened as he turns to leave, nearly tripping over Opol. "What in the name of Caex's merciful blade?!" shouts the man, barely managing not to topple over. "What are you doing so low to the ground? Are you trying to get yourself squished?"

arguskos
2010-08-14, 01:07 PM
"Hey now big fellow, no call to be snappy. What say we all go get a drink and relax a bit? He can apologize, everyone wins!" Phineas flashes the larger man a disarming smile.

Temotei
2010-08-14, 01:39 PM
Ignoring Phineas, Opol replies, a bit disgruntled. It's called height. You, of all people, should know that. At least, that's what I thought. I suppose I was quick to blanket intelligence as a common trait of apprentices.

Lyndworm
2010-08-14, 01:46 PM
"You're right, of course... The both of you. I extend my most gracious apologies. How about we do as he suggested," the man pauses to indicate Phineas. "and I buy you a drink?"

Temotei
2010-08-14, 01:48 PM
Opol looks at the towering man, then shrugs with his tiny shoulders. I'll join you, if you like.

arguskos
2010-08-14, 03:37 PM
"Come, come! I know a tavern not far from here that's quite nice." Phineas motions to Tania, and starts walking in the direction of the nearest tavern.

OOC:

I don't know squat about this setting, so I'm just gonna have you make up a tavern I guess. Phineas is the sorta guy who'd know every tavern in town and thinks they're all "nice" in some way or another, so he's just gonna walk towards the closest one and hope the others come with.

Lyndworm
2010-08-14, 04:07 PM
The big man tags along behind his new acquaintance, occasionally shooting embarrassed looks towards the squirrelman.

Temotei
2010-08-14, 06:07 PM
Opol shrugs again and follows the curious "biggies," now smiling slightly.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-08-19, 09:55 PM
The Broken Scion, a tavern in these parts, is fairly empty at this hour, most people still working. The barmaid washes down tables and mops the floor, and spotting your group, does her best to straighten out her dress and smile wide.

"Hello, what can I get for you today? Pint of bitter? Pint of lager? Meat pie?"

Lyndworm
2010-08-19, 10:17 PM
The big man smiles broadly as he says "I'll have a lager! What'll it be for you, my little friend?" The man turns to Opol as he says the last bit. "Say, what's your name, anyway?"

Temotei
2010-08-19, 10:21 PM
...Call me Opol. The little phanaton smiles awkwardly, as if not sure whether to smile at all.

And I'll have what you're having, big one!

Lyndworm
2010-08-19, 11:48 PM
"Two lagers, then, please; one for me, and one for my friend Opol, here."

arguskos
2010-08-19, 11:52 PM
"The normal, miss! And whatever the lady would like." He gestures to Tania as he speaks, and then sits around the table with the others.

"You both seem interesting enough fellows, though such is a greenie a dozen these days, yes?" He grins wide. "Oh yes, introductions! You may call me Phineas, if you wish."

Lyndworm
2010-08-20, 12:01 AM
"Greetings, Phineas! I am Roth." Catching the barmaid's attention, he indicated for her to put Phineas's order on his tab as well.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-08-30, 01:04 AM
The barmaid nods, then disappears into the back for a long time.

Temotei
2010-08-31, 07:52 PM
Well, the drinks are taking long enough, eh? What say we have some fun while we're waiting?

Lyndworm
2010-09-02, 05:35 PM
"I can agree to this. What did you have in mind, friend?"

arguskos
2010-09-02, 07:31 PM
"Ha! You offer fun? What did you have in mind, Opol?"

Temotei
2010-09-02, 07:39 PM
Opol shrugs his tiny shoulders. Does it matter? We could spar, pretend to be drunk, jump on the tables...endless possibilities in a tavern!

arguskos
2010-09-02, 09:23 PM
"Hah! You don't go out much, do you, Opol? You must be subtle in your fun." Phineas looks around and finds his target, a waitress delivering some drinks to a nearby table. He casts a magister's tricks, and as the drinks are set down, they all turn neon pink. He gives a chuckle as the drinkers realize what's happened, then dismisses the effect.

Temotei
2010-09-02, 09:37 PM
I like your style...perhaps I'll have something to add. Hold on. Opol stands up, skittering underneath a table with a couple of patrons. Pulling out his O'Ryan's razor, he starts to discreetly shave legs. He brushes every leg with his tail for good measure, and then, a moment later, his tool is hidden and Opol is sitting, once more, next to Phineas and Roth, watching the two patrons look down at their legs in disbelief, and for the man, anger.

arguskos
2010-09-02, 10:06 PM
"Ah, a fine effort, but lacking style." Using magister's tricks again, Phineas reduces the temperature in the area of those people's legs by a good amount, enough to cause them to get cold, then he sharply raises it again, and laughs at the discomfort this causes. "If a trick doesn't cause any discomfort or anguish, what's the point, eh?"

Temotei
2010-09-02, 10:17 PM
Alas, for I don't think a fishhook to the thigh might cause a bit too much of such things? A fishhook suddenly appears in the phanaton's tail-hand, as if he had been holding it the entire time. It's possible that he has been.

arguskos
2010-09-02, 10:34 PM
"Opol, such things aren't the only method of causing discomfort. Observe." He uses his magic to alter someone's food to be just too cold for their liking, and smiles as they suffer through it.

Temotei
2010-09-02, 10:41 PM
Opol just nods and smiles a little, putting his fishhook away.

You are more skilled in these endeavors. You've done this before, I presume?

arguskos
2010-09-02, 10:48 PM
"One might say its in my blood." He laughs, winks at Tania, and calls out loudly, "Barmaid! Might we prevail upon you for our drinks? No hurry, it's not like we're thirsty or anything!" He laughs again, cheerily, pleased with his own mirthfulness.

Lyndworm
2010-09-03, 09:17 PM
Roth laughs heartily at his acquaintance's antics. "Haha! A very good show, gentlemen. Now, if only I could get a drink along with the show!"

Temotei
2010-09-03, 10:35 PM
Hm. Opol stands up on his seat to be closer to normal height.

arguskos
2010-09-04, 02:31 AM
Phineas smiles, and uses magister's tricks once more. The effect isn't instantly obvious, but you quickly notice that everyone who passes behind Roth's chair chuckles. Upon checking, it appears a large yellow smiling face has been painted onto Roth's back. Once discovered, Phineas gestures again, and the image fades instantly. "Just a bit more fun, you understand of course."

Sir_Chivalry
2010-09-04, 10:35 AM
As the mages as having a bit of a laugh, a scream issues from the kitchen, one of the barmaids running out inot the common room.

"She's been murdered!"

Temotei
2010-09-04, 11:17 AM
Who?...and...no drinks? Opol sighs, but jumps up on Roth's shoulder, waiting for some action.

arguskos
2010-09-04, 12:05 PM
Phineas gives a strong sigh, and stands wearily. "Well, might as well go see what the issue is, maybe get some free drinks or perhaps a reward. Tania dear, you may wish to stay here." He walks towards the screaming barmaid. "Who's been murdered? Show us the situation."

Sir_Chivalry
2010-09-04, 09:21 PM
The barmaid who was getting your drinks is dead, pinned to the wall with an iron spike.

arguskos
2010-09-05, 09:08 PM
"Well. That's an impediment to our drinks, surely enough." Phineas is utterly nonplussed by what he sees. He looks around, grabs a mug of ale, and takes a swig while thinking. To the waitress that showed them back here, he asks, "Was there anyone else back here?"

Temotei
2010-09-06, 12:02 AM
Opol jumps on the spike using his tail as leverage, inspecting the waitress's wound and wondering where the spike came from.

I'm surprised we didn't hear any screams...or the spike being driven into the wall.

Lyndworm
2010-09-07, 12:06 AM
"I was just thinking that myself, Opol. How would someone accomplish such a thing? More importantly, why go through the trouble just to kill a barmaid?" Turning to the other barmaid sheepishly, Roth says "No offense meant to your station, ma'am."

Sir_Chivalry
2010-09-07, 12:06 AM
"I was just thinking that myself, Opol. How would someone accomplish such a thing? More importantly, why go through the trouble just to kill a barmaid?" Turning to the other barmaid sheepishly, Roth says "No offense meant to your station, ma'am."

"None taken. No, no one was back here, except the cook, but he's . . ."

The door is left swinging wildly, someone has fled quickly, a pot of potatoes lying on its side, its contents all over the floor.

arguskos
2010-09-07, 12:18 AM
"What is the cook's name, and where does he live? Quickly now!" Phineas, though speaking rapidly and fairly loudly, doesn't appear bothered in the least by anything that's going on. He takes another swig of his ale with a nonchalant air.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-09-07, 12:19 AM
"What is the cook's name, and where does he live? Quickly now!" Phineas, though speaking rapidly and fairly loudly, doesn't appear bothered in the least by anything that's going on. He takes another swig of his ale with a nonchalant air.

"Um ah . . . Butcher's Quarter, Vent Street, Green roofed house, I think!"

arguskos
2010-09-07, 12:22 AM
"I know the area. What's his name though, that's important."

Sir_Chivalry
2010-09-07, 12:22 AM
"I know the area. What's his name though, that's important."

"Augustus!"

arguskos
2010-09-07, 12:25 AM
"Good, good. Tell my dear that I'll be back shortly. Come friends, we've a death to see to." With that, he moves out of the back of the store, refilling his ale as he does so, using his bladed staff as a walking stick of sorts.

Lyndworm
2010-09-07, 12:43 AM
Roth follows behind Phineas, the absence of his broad grin the only sign of his perturbation.

Temotei
2010-09-07, 07:36 PM
Gladly.

Opol bounces after them, then hangs upside down on Roth's left shoulder with his tail.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-09-12, 10:25 PM
You reach the home of Augustus.