PDA

View Full Version : How would you let an octopus survive out of water?

The Pressman
2010-08-06, 01:51 PM
Question in title.

Spells, items, etc.

MightyTim
2010-08-06, 01:58 PM
The Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus seems to manage ok. :smalltongue:
http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

The Pressman
2010-08-06, 02:00 PM
If only it was real.:smallfrown:

Connington
2010-08-06, 02:02 PM
Ring of Landwalking, from Stormwrack, p130. 10,000 GP. Gives you the ability to breathe air, and a land speed at the cost of your swim speed. Technically, the description says it only works on aquatic or monstrous humanoids, but neither of the base spells seem to have that requirement.

Greenish
2010-08-06, 02:03 PM
If only it was real.:smallfrown:You asked us about spells that would help an octopus survive out of water, yet the (claimed) fictionality of the tree-octopus is an impediment somehow. I don't quite follow.

JeenLeen
2010-08-06, 02:04 PM
If D&D 3.5, probably just use the rules for drowning but with 'in air' as drowning. It's not completely realistic probably, since being without water's buoyancy and other environmental things probably adds injury, but it's a good standard.

If some other system, whatever is similiar to Fortitude saves, Stamina rolls, etc. Or they can live 'x' minutes based on the stat.

If they make the rolls, they survive. If not, they start to 'drown'.

The Pressman
2010-08-06, 02:05 PM
You asked us about spells that would help an octopus survive out of water, yet the (claimed) fictionality of the tree-octopus is an impediment somehow. I don't quite follow.

Because the DM would probably use that as a justification for it not to work. Spells, now those he can handle.:smallsmile:

Greenish
2010-08-06, 02:08 PM
Because the DM would probably use that as a justification for it not to work. Spells, now those he can handle.:smallsmile:Very well then. Breathe Air is hours/level spell that allows one to breathe air. Fins to Feet, despite the name, can also change a pair of tentacles to feet, granting 30' land speed.

[Edit]: Adapt Body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/adaptBody.htm) would work too.

NeutralAwesome
2010-08-06, 02:09 PM
Have it/someone bind a tiny water elemental inside its gills? I know there is an elemental graft feat in Eberron that give airbreathers the same deal with air elementals.

The Pressman
2010-08-06, 02:18 PM
Is that in ECS, or a different one?

NeutralAwesome
2010-08-06, 02:25 PM
Is that in ECS, or a different one?

Magic of Eberron. Also, now that I think on it it was a water elemental in the back of your throat so you never got thirsty and some other bonus maybe. Same general idea anyway.

Greenish
2010-08-06, 02:25 PM
Is that in ECS, or a different one?Offhand, I'd claim the grafts were in Magic of Eberron.

Mikeavelli
2010-08-06, 02:41 PM
A Wizard did it.

In one campaign, I introduced the Octo-Mole. Think Owlbear, but instead of existing purely to kill adventurers and make biologists cry, it was also pretty good at digging tunnels.

Lothmar
2010-08-06, 02:42 PM
- - Wow, I just had this weird image of a druid with a small octopus as an animal companion who wears a bucket full of water on his back. xD

Or give the octopus an ion stone so it can breath and then keep it in a bag of holding/portable hole full of water and drop in fish etc for it to eat. Hmm, now to figure out how to keep the temperature livable since it'd be in the dark etc thus being cold (uncertain how cold etc... need to review astral plane info.).

Wow, now I want to build a spell called 'astral aquariam'. *Chuckle*

The Pressman
2010-08-06, 02:48 PM
A Wizard did it.

In one campaign, I introduced the Octo-Mole. Think Owlbear, but instead of existing purely to kill adventurers and make biologists cry, it was also pretty good at digging tunnels.

Do you still have a record of it? Stats, etc.

The Pressman
2010-08-06, 03:37 PM
Actually, I could just hire a wizard to cast Polymorph any object and turn the octopus into a tree-climbing air breathing resilient octopus. All bonuses to duration apply, and it is permanent.

FMArthur
2010-08-06, 04:34 PM
D&D already has rules for octopi naturally surviving without water. When it's still very small and has survived long enough in the breeding tank, you insert it into the ear of a humanoid...

The Pressman
2010-08-06, 04:35 PM
Because all of those octopi are actually stunted Illithids! It all makes sense now!

Prplcheez
2010-08-06, 05:05 PM
I read a story once about an octopus that escaped from an aquarium and went to a library and started destroying books... Can't find it now, but if it was true, then an octopus could stay out of water for a few hours. You could probably just bring a bucket of water with you and dunk it every hour or two.

Domochevsky
2010-08-06, 05:10 PM
...you will have to come up with a bit more information for that. :smallconfused:

Zach J.
2010-08-06, 05:14 PM
Haha, if you're not sick of me I might give it a try later tonight. As long as no one else is interested. Also, is that the same Domochevsky from deviantART?

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-08-06, 05:18 PM
It's not octopi - that'd be if it were a Latin derived word, and it's Greek. Octopods, octopodes, octopuses - take your pick, just not octopi.
:smallbiggrin:

Stormwrack has your official WotC answers - but ask your DM to let you reverse Water Breathing.
Also, you might want to cast Levitate on your octopus: they don't walk too well on land.

Eldan
2010-08-06, 05:20 PM
Well, there's a spell in the SpC which lets you survive out of water.

Anyway, if it's not too long, the Octopus should do fine, they can survive for quite some time.

The Pressman
2010-08-06, 05:22 PM
I was sort of thinking just PaO it into an octopus that is amphibious, strong enough to be as strong on land as it is in the water, and then it should fulfill enough of the bonuses to be permanent.

ericgrau
2010-08-06, 05:33 PM
Holding its breath. For longer times, just magic the problem away with a ring of air breathing or w/e.

"Octopuses kept as pets have been known to open the covers of their aquariums and survive for a time in the air in order to get to a nearby feeder tank and gorge themselves on the fish there." - Wikipedia

They are smart, strong, mobile and flexible buggers.

Domochevsky
2010-08-06, 05:34 PM
It better be, seeing how links to my dA page are in my sig. :smallwink:

(You can have the octopus though. :smallbiggrin: )

Zach J.
2010-08-06, 05:39 PM
Haha, sorry I'm a bit blind sometimes. Thanks although there's no reason that we can't both do an octopus. The more pictures the better, right?

The Pressman
2010-08-06, 06:18 PM
Also, if either of you do draw, it, try to make it so that all the spaces are enclosed. I use inkscape to do primitive paintbucket fills, but when you leave gaps it doesn't work. However, shading with closely spaced low-slope zigzags, like on the goggles here, (http://th09.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2010/217/d/f/Polymath_Finished_Pencils_by_Batfan1989.jpg) it makes a lovely effect when filling in.

The Pressman
2010-08-07, 01:37 AM
What if, starting as a 5th level character, took the Wild Cohort feat, and instead used a polymorphed octopus. The octopus would be polymorphed using polymorph any object to be able to walk and breath on land in addition to in water. It would also have a slightly higher INT. This would fulfill enough of the conditions that it would be permanent. I know that this is against the riles, but how heinous is it? In that, how many DMs would be implacably against it?

Kaww
2010-08-07, 01:58 AM
Who cast PaO? What is it now? If you want to increase it's int is it magical beast?

Not to heinous, but what are you playing?

I probably would not allow it.

Mikeavelli
2010-08-07, 02:02 AM
Do you still have a record of it? Stats, etc.

It was pure plot device, the players never actually fought with it when they were low enough level to have it be a threat to them. They found a control stone that allowed them to mentally dominate it, and used it to dig tunnels at a rate of 30' per round.

They eventually came into conflict with a Whalephant, but I just used the stats from a Siege Crab from MM III (I think, the CR 16 one) and refluffed the non-crabby aspects of a Whalephant.

The Pressman
2010-08-07, 02:02 AM
Int from 2 to 4. A hired spellcaster cast PaO. And it is now an octopus that can breath air and walk on land.
EDIT: and I am playing a homebrew class focusing on crafting, healing, and trap-disabling. In 3.5.

I agree, but does it gain HD and get (I'm sure it does, but how much) better?

Are you walking around in a commoner's outfit or you have some extra cash?

Wild cohort feat here:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a

It adds a hit die at my level, and it already has 2d8.

The animal? No, it isn't part of your wealth. The spell cast on it? That does cost gold.

Also, yeah, it's a pretty awful creature for doing much... it's a small creature based on grappling with its only attack dealing 1d3, and it has a poor strength modifier and, due to its low HD and medium BAB progression, will only get worse at grappling. It can't even kill a housecat.

However, the Wild Cohort feat improves it somewhat. Besides, polymorphing it into an octopus with a higher STR score will cost the same amount. And about the attack thing, just have it have retractable blades on the ends of it's tentacles and have them deal damage as a dagger without the range increment. Still eligible for the permanency bonuses.

Milskidasith
2010-08-07, 02:04 AM
Well, seeing as you are paying a huge chunk of your WBL to get a creature that is pretty worthless for doing anything, I wouldn't object mechanically, although flavorfully it's rather nonsensical.

Kaww
2010-08-07, 02:07 AM
Well, seeing as you are paying a huge chunk of your WBL to get a creature that is pretty worthless for doing anything, I wouldn't object mechanically, although flavorfully it's rather nonsensical.

I agree, but does it gain HD and get (I'm sure it does, but how much) better?

Are you walking around in a commoner's outfit or you have some extra cash?

The Pressman
2010-08-07, 02:09 AM
Flavorful is how I intended it to be. I also might have it be a partial gift from parents before adventuring, and simply pay 2/3 of the cost or something. And it can carry 43lbs light load, so not too shabby.

Kaww
2010-08-07, 02:12 AM
You do know it is considered wealth in WBL table? Just as a riding dog, horse etc.

My question is can you afford it?

Milskidasith
2010-08-07, 02:15 AM
You do know it is considered wealth in WBL table? Just as a riding dog, horse etc.

My question is can you afford it?

The animal? No, it isn't part of your wealth. The spell cast on it? That does cost gold.

Also, yeah, it's a pretty awful creature for doing much... it's a small creature based on grappling with its only attack dealing 1d3, and it has a poor strength modifier and, due to its low HD and medium BAB progression, will only get worse at grappling. It can't even kill a housecat.

The Pressman
2010-08-07, 02:19 AM
I worked it out, and yes. Unless I got the spell cost wrong.
Caster level needed: 15. Spell cost for 8th level spell: 80*caster level. 15*80=1200. Well within my reach.

Kaww
2010-08-07, 02:28 AM

Why? Unless you have its natural habitat nearby you have to buy it. Don't you?

Or has it just walked up to him and: "YO! You look cool I'm yours"?

The Pressman
2010-08-07, 02:31 AM
I'll work that out in background. My character does live close to the sea, but I'll try to find out the cost of an octopus. Do you know it?

Although the obvious answer is Summon Cephalopod.

DwarvenExodus
2010-08-07, 04:11 AM
Woah... Creepy. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163265)

The Pressman
2010-08-07, 04:34 AM
Hmm? Oh. It's not meant to be a repost, just a different thread addressing A different part of the issue. Is it more courteous to keep related issues on the same thread?

icefractal
2010-08-07, 05:02 AM
If a feat / class ability specifically gives you an animal (as Wild Cohort does) then you don't have to buy it. The polymorph, you do have to pay for, unless the DM waives it. Personally, I'd allow it, for free, because the Octopus isn't the strongest animal anyway.

The Pressman
2010-08-07, 05:11 AM
If a feat / class ability specifically gives you an animal (as Wild Cohort does) then you don't have to buy it. The polymorph, you do have to pay for, unless the DM waives it. Personally, I'd allow it, for free, because the Octopus isn't the strongest animal anyway.

However, I have strengthened it a little bit. It's tentacles have claws that deal 1d4, and it has a higher strength, int, con and cha. Just a bit, two points at most, with most having just one more. And it's bigger. But that's it. I haven't gone crazy and added fly and climb speeds or anything. Although I know I want to.:smallbiggrin:

Desril
2010-08-07, 05:30 AM
Make it half-shark. That is all.

The Pressman
2010-08-07, 05:37 AM
Why, Octopus, what a large week on discovery channel you have!
"all the better for entertaining you, my dear."

Connington
2010-08-07, 06:14 AM
It's not octopi - that'd be if it were a Latin derived word, and it's Greek. Octopods, octopodes, octopuses - take your pick, just not octopi.

Just remember, if you're going to be a grammar snob's grammar snob, pronounce it correctly. It's Ock-top-o-dees (Like Hercules). NOT Oct-o-podes (like Network Nodes).

The Pressman
2010-08-07, 06:28 AM
Hmm. PaO works, but it has the detriment of being dispellable.

Greenish
2010-08-07, 06:42 AM
A Wizard did it.

In one campaign, I introduced the Octo-Mole. Think Owlbear, but instead of existing purely to kill adventurers and make biologists cry, it was also pretty good at digging tunnels.http://www.headinjurytheater.com/dnd%20ground%20squid.jpg

DementedFellow
2010-08-07, 06:58 AM
A Wizard did it.

Did it look like this?

http://scienceblogs.com/neurophilosophy/Star-nosed_mole.jpg

chiasaur11
2010-08-07, 10:38 AM
Give it a diving helmet filled with water.

It's the classic cartoon solution.

Marnath
2010-08-07, 12:35 PM
Hmm? Oh. It's not meant to be a repost, just a different thread addressing A different part of the issue. Is it more courteous to keep related issues on the same thread?

Yeah, i think so. You don't need a new thread for every single post, you know.

Urpriest
2010-08-07, 01:30 PM
It seems like an odd use...

Here's my question: does it have 8 tentacle attacks? The base octopus has only one "arms" attack. If your PaO gives it 8 functional attacks then you've just made it a substantially more powerful monster, and I'm not sure whether it remains fair as a Wild Cohort. I think it would be rather tough to adjudicate.

Xallace
2010-08-07, 01:37 PM
If the animal is simply a medium or smaller octopus allowed to breathe air and wander around on land, perhaps by bunching a couple tentacles together to act as legs ala Squidward, then by the Wild Cohort feat I would allow it without question.

As for the other upgrades, that's what Improved Natural Attack and level-based ability score bonuses are for.

Tiki Snakes
2010-08-07, 03:05 PM
Give it a diving helmet filled with water.

It's the classic cartoon solution.

Oh God Yes.
I approve.

Octopodes. Psh.
People don't be knowing bout my Octopi.

ericgrau
2010-08-07, 03:09 PM
Doesn't actually work. Would be like doing the same for a human without giving him a scuba tank. /nitpick.

OTOH magic could make it work, much like a magic bottle of air.

ZeroGear
2010-08-07, 03:15 PM
Why has the anphibious template not been mentioned?

Another solution is to give it +1 Airbreathing Barding. I think that would do the trick, and improve it's armot class.

Connington
2010-08-07, 03:18 PM

If we're talking about the Stormwrack template, it's only designed to let land-dwellers go into the water, not the other way around.

The Pressman
2010-08-07, 03:24 PM
Yeah, i think so. You don't need a new thread for every single post, you know.

Sorry. I'll remember that next time.

It seems like an odd use...

Here's my question: does it have 8 tentacle attacks? The base octopus has only one "arms" attack. If your PaO gives it 8 functional attacks then you've just made it a substantially more powerful monster, and I'm not sure whether it remains fair as a Wild Cohort. I think it would be rather tough to adjudicate.

Only 1. Adding more increases the miss chance, as that means that it has less to balance on, and using 8 doesn't allow the claws.

Another solution is to give it +1 Airbreathing Barding. I think that would do the trick, and improve it's armot class.

There's such a thing?

Roland St. Jude
2010-08-07, 03:31 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Three separate threads on anthropomorphizing your octopus is two too many. Merged threads.

Greenish
2010-08-07, 08:31 PM
If we're talking about the Stormwrack template, it's only designed to let land-dwellers go into the water, not the other way around.That's not how it works. The template specifically says that an amphibious creature "can breathe air and water equally well", and though it doesn't grant land speed, octopus just happens to have one.

The clincher with the template is that it can only applied to humanoids and monstrous humanoids.

The Pressman
2010-08-07, 10:48 PM
The clincher with the template is that it can only applied to humanoids and monstrous humanoids.

And that's the hard part. Either fudge it, and ignore that last bit, or find another way.

Lhurgyof
2010-08-07, 11:24 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Three separate threads on anthropomorphizing your octopus is two too many. Merged threads.

Oh god is this win. xD
Also, this whole thread is full of win. I, as a DM, would allow it. It is just too full of win to not allow.

Now, mechanical ways to do it? Have the octopus take vow of poverty so it doesn't need to breath/eat and has endure elements? xD

The Pressman
2010-08-07, 11:31 PM
Are there any magic items which are a permanent endure elements?

Hold on, I just figured it out! Hand-wave it and say he's the last of a race of Landctopodes.

Anyways, how about this:

Change it to amphibious, give it STR 14, CON 12, DEX 17, INT 5, WIS 12, CHA 4, change arms to either 8*1d2 or just 1d8 or 2d8, change it to medium, change bite to 1d4, give it a chain shirt, saddlebags, and a watchlamp.

ZeroGear
2010-08-08, 01:35 AM
There's such a thing?

Check the Magic Item compendiumfor the [Airbreathing] spcial armor ability. Just apply it to your Octopod's favorite or custom barding and there go have it.

The Pressman
2010-08-08, 01:39 AM
Check the Magic Item compendiumfor the [Airbreathing] spcial armor ability. Just apply it to your Octopod's favorite or custom barding and there go have it.

I believe you mean [Gilled] special armor ability. And that's a bit too pricey for my tastes.

Also, I hate your signature. I hadn't thought about the game all summer.:smallfurious:

Set
2010-08-08, 01:51 AM
The Races of Air template from Unearthed Arcana gives the Breathless trait which just flat out eliminates the need to breathe, so that might be an option.

Your octopus will also end up with a +1 to hit Earth subtype creatures and -2 to saves vs. Earth creatures, but that's just part of the wonkiness that is D&D.

If a player really wanted such a thing, and the stats didn't bug me, I'd just go ahead and make an amphibious octopus native to the setting, perhaps native to mangrove swamps and climbing out of the water to raid birds nests and escape waterbound predators like alligators.

The Pressman
2010-08-08, 01:52 AM
The Races of Air template from Unearthed Arcana gives the Breathless trait which just flat out eliminates the need to breathe, so that might be an option.

Your octopus will also end up with a +1 to hit Earth subtype creatures and -2 to saves vs. Earth creatures, but that's just part of the wonkiness that is D&D.

If a player really wanted such a thing, and the stats didn't bug me, I'd just go ahead and make an amphibious octopus native to the setting, perhaps native to mangrove swamps and climbing out of the water to raid birds nests and escape waterbound predators like alligators.

I might just take the regular octopus and do that. I believe that's what I did above. Do those stats bother you?

icefractal
2010-08-08, 01:55 AM
Change it to amphibious, give it STR 14, CON 12, DEX 17, INT 5, WIS 12, CHA 4, change arms to either 8*1d2 or just 1d8 or 2d8, change it to medium, change bite to 1d4, give it a chain shirt, saddlebags, and a watchlamp.Definitely not 8*1d2, that's just too much of a combat slowdown, and would be damn powerful with the right buffs. Gut feeling, I would go with two tentacle-group attacks at 1d8 each. Maybe advance to four eventually, at the point when the stronger animals like Tigers are becoming available. Stats seem about equivalent with a Riding Dog, so that's certainly fine.

The Pressman
2010-08-08, 02:01 AM
Definitely not 8*1d2, that's just too much of a combat slowdown, and would be damn powerful with the right buffs. Gut feeling, I would go with two tentacle-group attacks at 1d8 each. Stats seem about equivalent with a Riding Dog, so that's certainly fine.

Thanks.

And RP-wise, it will be good too. It's a medium creature, and is 5'6". It has tentacle barbs (retractable), at the ends, and is wearing a chain shirt. And the rest of the party won't know about it at the start of the game, not even the players. I really hope that someone plays a halfling. :smallbiggrin:

lord_khaine
2010-08-08, 03:28 AM
And RP-wise, it will be good too. It's a medium creature, and is 5'6". It has tentacle barbs (retractable), at the ends, and is wearing a chain shirt. And the rest of the party won't know about it at the start of the game, not even the players. I really hope that someone plays a halfling.

Its just being friendly, honest, it wont bite!

The Pressman
2010-08-08, 03:34 AM
Its just being friendly, honest, it wont bite/constrict/beak/slash/eat/make into a decorative hat.!

Escheton
2010-08-08, 07:22 AM
http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/129169409915289667.jpg

Greenish
2010-08-08, 08:57 AM
Are there any magic items which are a permanent endure elements?Least Crystal of Adaption. 500gp armour crystal, gives permanent Endure Elements.

chiasaur11
2010-08-08, 01:56 PM
Got plans how to play it?

Because Octopus?

Smart, but easily bored. Some fun to be had from that.

Escheton
2010-08-08, 02:14 PM
Also they like to stuff themselves into small confined spaces and are quite clever at removing obstacles for doing so...like corks on wine bottles...

chiasaur11
2010-08-08, 03:01 PM
Also they like to stuff themselves into small confined spaces and are quite clever at removing obstacles for doing so...like corks on wine bottles...

Yeah.

Weird creatures, Octopoda.

The Pressman
2010-08-08, 06:32 PM
Least Crystal of Adaption. 500gp armour crystal, gives permanent Endure Elements.

Hmm. I actually decided end up just doing this, since it involves the least work. For buying things and such.

Tomthobotnica
Medium Animal
Hit Dice:2d8
Initiative:+3
Speed: 30ft walk and swim
Armor Class: 15, 12, 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+3
Attack:Tentacle +5 1d8 (two of them)
Full Attack:Tentacle +5 1d8, Bite +0 1d4
Space/Reach:5', 5'
Special Attacks:Improved Grab
Special Qualities:Low Light Vision, Amphibious, Jet, Ink Cloud
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +2
Abilities Str 14, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 5, Wis 12, Cha 4
Skills: Escape Artist +13, Hide +11, Listen +2, Spot +5, Swim +9
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Environment: Marsh/Swamp/Jungle
Organization: Packs, Almost Tribal
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: 900 gp
Alignment:Neutral (usu.)
Advancement: 3-6 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment:-

A five and a half foot tall octopus glares at you as it climbs over the vines and tries to seek out the prey you scared away, claws sliding out from it's tentacles.

The Tomthobotnica is a small, grey-green land octopus. It's origins are shrouded in mystery, but some believe that Cephalos, the god of Octopods, may have altered normal octopus to be the dawn of a new age for cephalopds.

A Tomthobotnica stands about 5'5" tall, and has mottled green gray skin, with young children having a red color reminiscent of octopi. They have no internal skeleton, having instead a system of flexible cartilage and muscle. Their eyes betray an intelligence beyond what you might expect. They communicate with a language of beak clicks, whistles, and tentacle waves.

Combat :
They prefer to hide, then strike out with a tentacle, launching into a grapple, then biting their prey.

Ability descriptions

Low Light Vision: the Tomthobotnica can see twice as far as normal in low light conditions.
Amphibious: They are able to breath and survive equally well on land and water.
Jet:A Tomthobotnica can jet backward once per round as a full-round action, at a speed of 200 feet. It must move in a straight line, but does not provoke attacks of opportunity while jetting. This only works in water.
Ink Cloud: They can emit a cloud of jet-black ink 10 feet high by 10 feet wide by 10 feet long once per minute as a free action. The cloud provides total concealment, which the Tomthobotnica normally uses to escape a losing fight. All vision within the cloud is obscured. This works only in water.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Tomthobotnica comes from the Swedish 'Tomt', or land, and the Slovenian Hobotnica, octopus.

Got plans how to play it?

Because Octopus?

Smart, but easily bored. Some fun to be had from that.

I'm probably going to play it as a sort of foil to the rest of the party. A member feeling down? The eight-legged one pats him on the shoulder. And gives him an affectionate nip with his beak. Which involves wrapping his tentacles around the other one's head. Who is a 3 foot tall halfling.

Bongos
2010-08-13, 02:36 AM
Put "Land-" in front of octopus

Crasical
2010-08-13, 09:03 AM
... *tilts his head to the side*

.... As written in the SRD, I don't see anything that requires your Octopus to, you know, actually be in water to use it's ink cloud. It makes about as much sense as drowning yourself to health, but...

Ink Cloud (Ex)
An octopus can emit a cloud of jet-black ink 10 feet high by 10 feet wide by 10 feet long once per minute as a free action. The cloud provides total concealment, which the octopus normally uses to escape a losing fight. All vision within the cloud is obscured.

... I'm now picturing some mad druid being dropped to 1/3 hits, stopping to pull his octopus pet out of his backpack, raising it over his head and screaming "BEHOLD! THE OCTOPUS!" and then vanishing into a cloud of Total Concealment.

Abies
2010-08-13, 09:27 AM
I think its amazing the topic got this far witout anyone mentioning it, but Octopuses already can survive out of water for farly long periods of time. They can travel between tide pools several hundred yards apart, and researchers have reported coming into work in the morning to find feed tanks empty, and a very satisfied octopus hapily digesting in his own opened tank. (note both the octopus and feed tanks started off secured shut. Not sure why they woudl include an interior release in an octopus tank, but the little guys can figure out how to open thier tanks.) The issue is less of whether they can breathe or not, but whether their bodies can support thier own weight.

Octopuses already have a gill nearly identical to snails and slugs, both of which can breathe out of water fine (Yes mollusks have only one gill, I was actually penalized on an exam for pluralizing to "gills". I did not enjoy that professor.). The issue with getting an octopus permanently land-bound would be more an issue of helping it support its own weight without the bouyancy of water, and perhaps keeping itself moist.

A +2 Str and/or Con item would probably suffice (both would be best). A couple extra water rations per day to keep your multi-legged friend wet, and I think you'd be good to go.

Kris Strife
2010-08-13, 10:15 AM

Is it just me or does the phrase "Anthropomorphizing your octopus" sound dirty?

The Pressman
2010-08-13, 11:06 PM

It did to me. And that's why I drafted several apology posts.

Gavinfoxx
2010-08-13, 11:23 PM

Then you shouldn't go to Furaffinity and do a search for "Octopus".
*Checks* Oh, thats right, you have to turn off the 'hide adult stuff' options first. Go on. I'll wait.

Leon
2010-08-14, 12:32 AM
Put your Octopus in a Upright Armored Egg on Tracks