PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) True reincarnation-PEACH

Ilmryn
2010-08-06, 03:08 PM
This is a spell i was plannign to use for a cleric character of mine who is morally opposed to resurrections. His philosophy is basically that death should not be reversed, but that life should be renewed instead. This is simply a version of reicarnate that doesn't cost a level. Is it balanced? If not, what should be changed.

True Reincarnation
Transmutation
Level: Druid 8, Renewal 8
Components: V, S, M, DF
Range: 0 ft
Effect: Reincarnates one creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Save: no
SR: no

This spell works like reincarnate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reincarnate.htm), but it does not require a body part of the dead creature. It can be used on a creature killed by a death effect or turned into an undead. The reincarnated creature does no lose a level or points of con. When the reincarnation is complete, the original body crumbles to dust.
Material Component: Rare oils and unguents worth a total of least 5,000 gp, spread over a portrait or other likeness of the deceased.

Morph Bark
2010-08-06, 03:19 PM
Either Complete Divine/Champion or Spell Compendium (prolly the latter) has Last Breath which basically does this, although it must happen in the round after the creature died (or some other really short amount of time). Perhaps you should check it out and either use that or change this spell here accordingly?

Ilmryn
2010-08-06, 08:33 PM
Either Complete Divine/Champion or Spell Compendium (prolly the latter) has Last Breath which basically does this, although it must happen in the round after the creature died (or some other really short amount of time). Perhaps you should check it out and either use that or change this spell here accordingly?

That spell is basically to reincarnate as revivify (also SC) is to raise dead. What I've homebrewed is a spell that is to reincarnate as true ressurection is to raise deat. Is it balanced?

Eurus
2010-08-06, 08:37 PM
Looks balanced enough. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be balanced, anyway.

Glimbur
2010-08-06, 09:41 PM
It is concerning that it can be used on people who are undead. Hypothetically one could make a string of the same person, of successively lower level, by turning Necropolitan, getting True Reincarnate'd, and re-necropolitaned. I would fix this by allowing the person to choose whether to stay undead or be reincarnated, closing the loophole.

NM020110
2010-08-06, 11:38 PM
My only concern here is that it could be used as a 10-minute cast, no save, no SR, unlimited range kill spell against any undead. Say for example, you hear of a lich of very high power. With this, you could kill his lich self and summon it to a place of your choosing. At that point, it would lack access to most spellcasting (no components), lose it's magic items and enhancements, and be subject to whatever traps you may have. A quick "the target my refuse reincarnation" would...concern invalidated by reading the reincarnate description. This is a great spell.

devinkowalczyk
2010-08-07, 01:22 AM
I think it should match true res, so up it to 20-25k in gold

Ilmryn
2010-08-07, 10:25 AM
It is concerning that it can be used on people who are undead. Hypothetically one could make a string of the same person, of successively lower level, by turning Necropolitan, getting True Reincarnate'd, and re-necropolitaned. I would fix this by allowing the person to choose whether to stay undead or be reincarnated, closing the loophole.
Already solved:

When the reincarnation is complete, the original body crumbles to dust.

I think it should match true res, so up it to 20-25k in gold

True rez costs 5x what a raise dead costs, so this spell costs 5x what a reincarnate costs. That seems logical to me.

togapika
2010-08-07, 01:13 PM
There was a version of this spell in the 3.0 book Masters of the Wild, which allowed the reincarnatee roll twice on the table and take the one they wanted, you might think about doing the same thing...