PDA

View Full Version : +2 shocking grasp rapier

GreatWyrmGold
2010-08-06, 07:52 PM
The magic item requested by a player.

I wish it hadn't been pointed out...the look on the player's face when he took 1d6 points of damage per attack...priceless. I think.

Ah, well.

Bharg
2010-08-06, 08:06 PM
Sounds like a rapier that delivers a touch attack dealing electricity damage...

ex cathedra
2010-08-06, 08:13 PM
Really? I thought that it sounded like a rapier with a shocking grasp.

Maybe that's just me. :smallwink:

Bharg
2010-08-06, 08:18 PM
Smile and wave...

Raistlin1040
2010-08-06, 08:57 PM
What's weird about this is that there is a property you can apply to weapons called Shock, and it adds 1d6 electricity damage to every attack.

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-06, 10:12 PM
Nice cursed item! :smallamused:

GreatWyrmGold
2010-08-09, 06:40 AM
Nice cursed item! :smallamused:

Pretty much what I thought.
As to those who thought of it as a touch spell: It's not.

Fouredged Sword
2010-08-09, 08:03 AM
It would be a awsome weapon for that race that heals with electric damage.

Morph Bark
2010-08-09, 08:52 AM
It would be a awsome weapon for that race that heals with electric damage.

Onards, Mechanatrix.

Mechanatrices everywhere.

Olo Demonsbane
2010-08-09, 11:21 AM
Shambling Mounds :smalleek:

Tyger
2010-08-09, 11:25 AM
Or the good old fashioned Flesh Golem. It's Alive!!!!

reptilecobra13
2010-08-09, 11:25 AM
This is awesome. I am tempted to run a lower level campaign just so that I can have my players find this...

Xuc Xac
2010-08-09, 11:41 AM
The magic item requested by a player.

I wish it hadn't been pointed out...the look on the player's face when he took 1d6 points of damage per attack...priceless. I think.

Ah, well.

Ha ha! It's awesome when players don't know the minutiae of a game as well as the DM so you can twist the letter of their words to completely screw them instead of going with their obvious intent. I'm so glad D&D has so many specific terms for things so we can do annoying rules lawyer word twisting like that. Without D&D, we'd be limited to annoying people with simplistic juvenile stunts like waving a finger a centimeter in front of someone's nose and chanting "I'm not touching yoooooouuuuu..."

DaedalusMkV
2010-08-09, 11:55 AM
Let's be fair, Xuc. The only possible reason a player could ask for a Shocking Grasp weapon instead of a plain old shocking weapon is an attempt to abuse the item creation rules for their own benefit. I, for one, appreciate that he got exactly what he deserved for abusing the rules. Seriously, what's next? Bracers of continuous Mage Armour to save tens of thousands of gold? An item of continuous True Strike? Nip it in the bud, I say.

Xuc Xac
2010-08-09, 12:11 PM
Let's be fair, Xuc. The only possible reason a player could ask for a Shocking Grasp weapon instead of a plain old shocking weapon is an attempt to abuse the item creation rules for their own benefit. I, for one, appreciate that he got exactly what he deserved for abusing the rules. Seriously, what's next? Bracers of continuous Mage Armour to save tens of thousands of gold? An item of continuous True Strike? Nip it in the bud, I say.

l assume you're being sarcastic like I was, because I'm pretty sure they didn't KNOW the item creation rules but they knew there were flaming swords and a shocking grasp spell that could justify a lightning version so they used "shocking grasp sword" to mean "a sword that shocks things with lightning damage when you hit them with it". If they did know the item creation rules well enough to try to abuse them, then they wouldn't have been burned by that "mistake".

Fiery Diamond
2010-08-09, 12:26 PM
l assume you're being sarcastic like I was, because I'm pretty sure they didn't KNOW the item creation rules but they knew there were flaming swords and a shocking grasp spell that could justify a lightning version so they used "shocking grasp sword" to mean "a sword that shocks things with lightning damage when you hit them with it". If they did know the item creation rules well enough to try to abuse them, then they wouldn't have been burned by that "mistake".

I completely agree with you. Unless the OP can tell us otherwise, I think the OP was being a complete ___ to the player. I mean, really. It's fairly obvious that the player wanted a "shocking" weapon.

Flickerdart
2010-08-09, 12:30 PM
>Hold rapier by blade
>Hit enemies with grip
>Profit

Xuc Xac
2010-08-09, 12:33 PM
I completely agree with you. Unless the OP can tell us otherwise, I think the OP was being a complete ___ to the player. I mean, really. It's fairly obvious that the player wanted a "shocking" weapon.

I know you said you wanted to buy components for your Mordenkainen's Faithful Watchdog spell, but you didn't actually say you cast the spell so there's ogres now, ok?