PDA

View Full Version : Couple of weapon properties questions

bartman
2010-08-06, 09:24 PM
I have a sword/axe fighter who, last session, would have been dealing a good amount of damage had it not been for the DR10/Slashing. Does anyone know of a way to change the damage properties (ie: Slashing to Piercing)? I know there is the morphing property, but that would potentially pose a different issue.

If i were to use morphing, and change my axe and sword to something that deals piercing damage, would i still be able to use my "High Sword Low Axe" feat? Or would the fact that my weapons are no longer a sword or axe preclude me from doing that?

I know I can add aptitude if that is the case, but that is starting to get expensive, for the off chance that i run into a DRX/damage type monster again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-06, 10:13 PM
Actually, DR 10/slashing means you NEED a slashing weapon in order to deal full damage.

Arbitrarity
2010-08-06, 10:18 PM
Transmuting (MIC) weapons (+2 equivalent) morph 1 round after hitting a target to overcome any DR. Shadowstriking (ToM) weapons (+3 equivalent) instead change after a single hit. However, both options are... expensive, obviously.

Andion Isurand
2010-08-06, 10:28 PM
The Saber and Cutlass from FRCS 97 are good Martial swords that can deal either slashing or peircing damage.

for medium creatures
{table]Cutlass (Light) | 15 gp | 1d6 | 19–20/×2 | 3 lb. | Slashing or piercing
Saber (1Hand) | 20 gp | 1d8 | 19–20/×2 | 4 lb. | Slashing or piercing[/table]

The Cutlass provides a +2 circumstance bonus against disarm attempts.
The Saber grants a +1 circumstance bonus to attack rolls when used while mounted.

Devils_Advocate
2010-08-07, 10:01 AM
Rakshasas are the only monster I know of that are more vulnerable to piercing damage than they are to slashing and/or bludgeoning.

KillianHawkeye has it right (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#damageReduction), unless some other edition's Damage Reduction notation is the reverse of 3.5's.

bartman
2010-08-07, 11:35 AM
Actually, DR 10/slashing means you NEED a slashing weapon in order to deal full damage.
My Bad, the DR was for either piercing or bludgeoning, DM's choice (he chose piercing)

Transmuting (MIC) weapons (+2 equivalent) morph 1 round after hitting a target to overcome any DR. Shadowstriking (ToM) weapons (+3 equivalent) instead change after a single hit. However, both options are... expensive, obviously.
The transmuting property looks pretty good. Same cost as the aptitude + morphing, but it will overcome all DR. Thank you

Arbitrarity
2010-08-07, 11:48 AM
That they beat DR/silver, DR/epic, DR/cold iron, DR/-, and everything else, is also nice. Well, the DR/- is arguable, but if you read the text, you can make a strong case for it.

Siosilvar
2010-08-07, 12:01 PM
My Bad, the DR was for either piercing or bludgeoning, DM's choice (he chose piercing)

DR/piercing or bludgeoning means that it only blocks damage from slashing weapons, same way DR/magic or silver would block anything that's neither magic nor silver.

Marnath
2010-08-07, 12:06 PM
That they beat DR/silver, DR/epic, DR/cold iron, DR/-, and everything else, is also nice. Well, the DR/- is arguable, but if you read the text, you can make a strong case for it.

How is there a good case for it? :smallconfused:
Nothing passes DR/- except spells and force attacks.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-07, 12:07 PM

And powers designed specifically to ignore damage reduction like emphatic transfer and some stone dragon maneuvers.

Siosilvar
2010-08-07, 12:09 PM

"If the target has multiple types of damage reduction, the weapon overcomes all of them."

Implies that you can overcome any damage reduction even if there's no property that would bypass it.

...though it specifically says it "take[s] on the properties required to overcome that creature's damage reduction."

Douglas
2010-08-07, 12:10 PM
The Transmuting ability states:

the weapon transforms, taking on the properties required to overcome that creature's damage reduction.
Once so changed, the weapon overcomes the designated type of damage reduction for 10 rounds,
It says it adjusts to overcome the target's DR, and makes no exception for DR/-. Taking that text at its word, it beats any and all DR, and that would include DR/-.

Marnath
2010-08-07, 12:28 PM
Takes on the properties required to bypass the DR, yes. Like chaotic, or holy or cold iron etc. But DR/- Has no properties required to bypass it. No matter what property the transmuting weapon gives itself, it doesn't matter. No physical weapon can bypass dr/- and i don't think you're suggesting that transmuting turns your bludgeoning/piercing/slashing damage to force, right?

derfenrirwolv
2010-08-07, 12:37 PM
It says it adjusts to overcome the target's DR, and makes no exception for DR/-. Taking that text at its word, it beats any and all DR, and that would include DR/-

No. There is no adjustment the weapon CAN make to overcome DR /- , so the weapon doesn't make it. The idea of the weapon is to turn into a silver or cold iron or adamantine or slashing or peirceing or bludgeoning weapon. There's no configuration that the weapon can come up with to get passed DR /-

Marnath
2010-08-07, 12:42 PM
Come to think of it, does transmuting even mimic alignment traits? i would think so because otherwise its just a crappier version of metalline, but you never know with WoTC.....

Arbitrarity
2010-08-07, 12:43 PM
A more interesting question: Does transmuting overcoming DR also mean it overcomes equivalent Regeneration?
For example, if a creature has regeneration 10/cold iron, and DR 10/Cold Iron, does the Transmuting weapon count as Cold Iron for all purposes, and thus beat regeneration, or just for DR?

I feel this question relates closely to the "transforms is key word" vs "properties are detailed after fluff"

Siosilvar
2010-08-07, 12:46 PM
A more interesting question: Does transmuting overcoming DR also mean it overcomes equivalent Regeneration?
For example, if a creature has regeneration 10/cold iron, and DR 10/Cold Iron, does the Transmuting weapon count as Cold Iron for all purposes, and thus beat regeneration, or just for DR?

I feel this question relates closely to the "transforms is key word" vs "properties are detailed after fluff"

"A transmuting weapon does not gain any other benefit of the properties it takes on, and it always deals normal damage."

So... no. It only overcomes DR.