PDA

View Full Version : (III.V) Iconic Things In Settings

Deth Muncher
2010-08-06, 10:36 PM
Righto guys. So I've been working* on some things for a while, and one of them is my plane-hopping campaign. I say plane-hopping and not Planescape because the interplanar travel is more of a non-voluntary thing. I am, however, having my PCs go trapezing through Greyhawk, Eberron and Faerun. What I need from you guys is help on figuring out things that are iconic to each. For example, they're currently in Eberron, and I had them run into the Warforged, and an Artificer, not to mention stuff that's all magitech'd up. But what else? That's where you guys come in.

*By working, I mean slacking and not writing anything down but just kinda daydreaming about it.

Draz74
2010-08-07, 12:53 AM
Forgotten Realms: Mystra, Elminster, and Drizzt.

And every NPC has class levels. Barmaids who are Level 9 Rangers or Bards are pretty common. Watch out for the king, he's probably a Level 17 Paladin. :smallwink:

Goonthegoof
2010-08-07, 01:03 AM
Draz isn't even exaggerating by much, one of the distinctive things about FR is that there are a lot of low-mid levelled npcs running around and there are a lot more epic NPCs than any other setting I can think of. Racial and environmental diversity is also a big one, FR has elf variants 1 through 3074 running around in various places and pretty much any race that isn't specific to another campaign can be found somewhere there.

Chambers
2010-08-07, 01:53 AM
Be sure to stop by Sharn while they're in Eberron.

Don't know much about Greyhawk, but as far as Forgotten Realms goes...

Spellfire. It may be represented horribly in the game mechanics, but in the cannon text and novels about FR, spellfire is like high arcana on crack/PCP. In one novel a barmaid with Spellfire drops a BBEG Dragon. For reals.
High Powerful Magics in the Most Unlikely Places and Peoples. Or rather, they are the most likely places and people because as the above posters noted, the Forgotten Realms suffers from a glut of High Magic. There are LOTS of high powered characters (including NPC's) running around.
Deities. Gods take a very active role in Faerun and having a patron deity is very important. People that don't worship a deity become part of the Wall of Souls when they die, and that's no fun. So everyone worships their own deity or pantheon, and it's not uncommon for a deity to send an Avatar down to the Prime and poke it's nose in whatever is going on. There have been a number of cases where regular folk (read: near epic level) became gods themselves.
Someone is always trying to/about to destroy the world. There's a bunch of evil cults out there that would like to either destroy the world, rule it, or both. The Harpers are an organization of nosy do-gooders that stick their nose in other peoples business because it's the Harpers business to stop the cults that are continually trying to destroy/take over the world.

So...yeah. There's 4 pretty iconic things about the realms.

iDM
2010-08-07, 05:07 PM
Magefair! That's on Toril, right? Who doesn't love a good Fireball-flinging contest?

Marnath
2010-08-07, 06:09 PM
Have them run into the red mages of thay, and watch as the scheming wretchs try to capitalize on how easily the pc's plane travel.

arguskos
2010-08-07, 10:27 PM
In Greyhawk, one could encounter the Tomb of Horrors (:smallamused:), or the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. Perhaps they run into Mordenkainen running about doing whatever he does. Hit up the City of Greyhawk. Go party-crash Rary and his Bright Empire. Maybe go smack Iuz around. There's lots of fun choices.

The Pressman
2010-08-07, 11:30 PM
In Greyhawk, one could encounter the Tomb of Horrors (:smallamused:), or the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. Perhaps they run into Mordenkainen running about doing whatever he does. Hit up the City of Greyhawk. Go party-crash Rary and his Bright Empire. Maybe go smack Iuz around. There's lots of fun choices.

Oh, dear lord.

arguskos
2010-08-07, 11:30 PM
Oh, dear lord.
It's the home setting of Acererak and his tomb after all.

Morph Bark
2010-08-08, 05:57 AM
So it's basically a lot like Sliders?

Have them run into fantasy versions of the cast of Sliders. :smallamused: (Replace John Rhys-Davies with Gary Gygax if at all necessary.)

Deth Muncher
2010-08-11, 01:59 PM
So it's basically a lot like Sliders?

Have them run into fantasy versions of the cast of Sliders. :smallamused: (Replace John Rhys-Davies with Gary Gygax if at all necessary.)

...I just made my game Sliders. I don't know if I should weep tears of sadness or joy.

Prime32
2010-08-11, 02:12 PM
Meh, Exiles works better.

Greenish
2010-08-11, 02:24 PM
Be sure to stop by Sharn while they're in Eberron.Remember to arrive by an airship or lightning rail.

Deth Muncher
2010-08-16, 11:13 AM
Remember to arrive by an airship or lightning rail.

They DID take an airship to Xendrik. The captain's name was Setzer.

Deth Muncher
2010-08-18, 03:18 PM
So...anyone want to tell me more about Magefair?

Chambers
2010-08-23, 08:52 AM
So...anyone want to tell me more about Magefair?

Well...there is the aforementioned fireball contest. There are also rules in places at the magefair to prevent chaos...kinda like peacebonding weapons, but for casting spells.

A lot of different people come to the magefair, so it's a good opportunity for intrigue and mystery type adventures. It's also restricted to those that can cast spells but creatures from all over Toril come, so you can get creative and describe some cool new spellcasting styles or magic.

dsmiles
2010-08-23, 11:00 AM

This. And in the Realms: Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog.

Barlen
2010-08-23, 02:44 PM

Yea I'll second going to City of Greyhawk. Of course if your there Castle Greyhawk is nearby. Depending on their level there was a pretty decent module Called Expedition to the ruins of Greyhawk that I _think_ was 3.0 or 3.5. Levels 8-13 or so.

Other than that The temple of elemental evil, the slavers, or the giants are all classics there.

Endarire
2010-08-23, 05:38 PM
Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070812a) is 3.5.

mobdrazhar
2010-08-23, 05:59 PM
don't forget about the zentirim (sp?) in FR