PDA

View Full Version : Increasing speed per round to ludicrous degrees

Alleran
2010-08-06, 11:29 PM
I'm trying to work out a combination of feats, templates and spells that would conceivably allow a character to break the speed of sound in distance traveled in one round. According to Google, that means I need to be doing 1116.43 feet per second, and a round is six seconds. Does anybody have a combination that already does this? I've been searching for ways, but so far I've only managed to reach about 600 feet per second for limited periods, which is barely over half what I need to reach.

EDIT: Fly speeds are generally preferred, and I can get potentially higher speeds with them than with land speed anyway so far.

RandomNPC
2010-08-06, 11:44 PM
all I can think of at the moment is converting what you want to do into a BESM game, about 8 or 10 points in super speed gets you crazy fast, and if you talk the GM into using the rules on exceding 5 ranks you can pull off Zells final limit break from final fantasy 8 where he runs around the world to build up momentum before he hits someone.

It is D20 but you're probably looking for D&D so I probably didn't help, sorry.

CyMage
2010-08-06, 11:47 PM
There is Chuck (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=852524) and also The Jumplomancer (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870138/The_Jumplomancer_-_are_you_serious)

Unfortunately some errata broke Chuck, but he still might be able to go at the speed of sound or close to it.

Edit: Changed the first link to the original Chuck thread.

Darrin
2010-08-06, 11:53 PM
I'm trying to work out a combination of feats, templates and spells that would conceivably allow a character to break the speed of sound in distance traveled in one round. According to Google, that means I need to be doing 1116.43 feet per second, and a round is six seconds. Does anybody have a combination that already does this? I've been searching for ways, but so far I've only managed to reach about 600 feet per second for limited periods, which is barely over half what I need to reach.

EDIT: Fly speeds are generally preferred, and I can get potentially higher speeds with them than with land speed anyway so far.

This is easy to do with Star Wars d20... I think a level 11 Jedi can break the sound barrier (is it Master's Speed with a 30x multiplier?).

In D&D 3.x, Chuck E. Cheese could do obscene things way beyond the sound barrier, but then someone tried to shut him down by issuing some errata, but the errata didn't make a lot of sense... I'm not sure if he still counts.

There was another build on the CharOp boards that managed to break the sound barrier by wildshape/polymorph into a dragon form with a 120' fly speed, then a spell with a 10x fly speed multiplier... can't recall what it was called (speed of the arrow I think?). Start with a Xeph Druid 5/Monk X, pile on a bunch of feats/traits, Celerity domain, a few magic items, and then use Cheetah's Speed (Wild feat, CompDiv) for 10x sprint. I was working on a land-based build for a while, but gave it up... I have a suspicion I might be able to pull it off with some Incarnum/Dread Carapace abuse, but haven't worked it out yet.

My Air Goblin Express (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142080) build can move through every contiguous open space in the world as a free action, which might count. I'm not exactly sure how you'd calculate his speed.

Andion Isurand
2010-08-06, 11:56 PM
There is a dragon spell from Dragon Magazine 308 called Fly Like An Arrow (sor/wiz 4) that lets you travel at a speed 10 times your normal flight speed as long as its in a strait line and you warmed up by flying at full speed in a strait line for at least one round each time before the benefits kicked in. Lasts 1/hour per level and it has a personal range.

Ninja'd :smallfrown:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-08-07, 12:03 AM
I worked up something like this before. Here is some stuff to help you out:

Wyrmling Force Dragon Ardent 1, Incarnate 6 (CR 20)

5 - Dash (Feat, Complete Warrior)
10 - Ardent (Freedom Mantle, Complete Psionic)
10 - Quick Trait (Unearthed Arcana)
10 - Speed of Thought (Feat, Expanded Psionics Handbook) (Insight Bonus)
40 - Sapphire Sprint (Feat, Magic of Incarnum)
125 - Shadow Template (Lords of Madness)
250 - Half-Fey Template (Fiend Folio)
250 - Base Speed (Epic Level Handbook)

x5 - Run (Feat, Player Handbook)

Total = 3500 feet per round

Andion Isurand
2010-08-07, 12:08 AM
I wish I could cast Fly Like An Arrow on my Phantom Steed spell after I've applied the Transcendant Spell metamagic feat to it to get a speed of 420 at CL 21st... or 1680/round at a x4 run speed.

Makes me wish someone made an improved version of the Phantom Steed spell with the Share Spells ability and the Run feat.