PDA

View Full Version : Blazing Inferno Hellfire Sauce

afroakuma
2010-08-07, 12:16 AM
So a few of my spice-maniac colleagues have declared themselves triumphant over everything the world of hot sauce can throw at them, and I've discovered a bottle of Blair's After Death sauce among the many strange and wondrous potions my grandmother keeps in the back of the kitchen cabinet (she claims it's too mild for her :smalleek:). I am, of course, planning to set them on fire with it. Anyone have experience with the flames of Blair or the power of any other ridiculous hot sauce?

arguskos
2010-08-07, 12:29 AM
Hah! I've not met the spice I couldn't lick yet. I drank an entire bottle of Dave's Ultimate Insanity Sauce once, and though it's not that strong in the grand scheme of things (only 250,000 Scoville), I wasn't even fazed. Well, ok, at the moment anyways. The stuff's pretty strong. I don't recommend it (also, I managed to escape without permanent damage).

Had authentic South Indian cuisine, was quite pleased with it. Bit of a slow burn, but a nice one.

Never heard of this Blair's After Death though. A bit of digging reveals it has a Scoville rating of around 49,000, which puts it in the range of the Piquin, Tabasco, and Cayenne peppers, telling me it's a pansy PoS.

Xyk
2010-08-07, 12:34 AM
So a few of my spice-maniac colleagues have declared themselves triumphant over everything the world of hot sauce can throw at them, and I've discovered a bottle of Blair's After Death sauce among the many strange and wondrous potions my grandmother keeps in the back of the kitchen cabinet (she claims it's too mild for her :smalleek:). I am, of course, planning to set them on fire with it. Anyone have experience with the flames of Blair or the power of any other ridiculous hot sauce?

I seem to remember you living in Canada?

That would be why. They don't know what they're talking about.

Get them to eat habaneros. That is actually fairly painful. Anything that only has jalepeno is not worth your time.

afroakuma
2010-08-07, 12:53 AM
I can never find adequate assessments of Scoville rating. My grandmother's sauce of choice is Blair's Mega Death, which according to their site is two steps hotter... whatever that means.

Of course, I can't touch either of them. :smalltongue:

Icewalker
2010-08-07, 01:01 AM
It's called the Bhut Jolokia pepper.

It would probably cause incredibly serious permanent damage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhut_Jolokia_pepper

When the pepper has a section in its Wikipedia article titled "As a weapon" you know it's probably too spicy to eat. Although it is used in small amounts in some foods...

Jalapenos are 2,500-10,000 Scoville. The Bhut Jolokia is slightly over 1,000,000.

Innis Cabal
2010-08-07, 03:42 AM
And people still eat them. You can buy pure Capsaicin for cooking, which is at least 15 times well beyond the Ghost Chili. I've sampled almost every sauce created by Blairs, and regularly cook with habanero peppers to the point that I am forced to cook outside at the behest of my room mates.

I would love to get a Ghost chili and see how I stack up, but they're beyond insanely expensive.

Brewdude
2010-08-07, 05:34 AM
All that enjoying hot sauce straight from the bottle means is that you've burned out your taste buds.

factotum
2010-08-07, 09:16 AM
My colleagues at work, amazed at the speed I could eat hot stuff, once got the cook at the local pub to make up a really, really hot chili to test me out. I think he cooked it for about a week using the hottest peppers he could find, and it was like eating molten lava...I finished about a third of it, and even that gave me serious stomach trouble for the next day and a half!

Raistlin1040
2010-08-07, 02:51 PM
From Wikipedia
"The strength of Blair's hottest product, "Blair's 16 Million Reserve", is 16 million Scoville units (Tabasco, in comparison, is 2,500 to 5,000 Scoville units). It contains only capsaicin crystals, and is the hottest possible capsaicin-based sauce. Only 999 bottles of "Blair's 16 Million Reserve" were produced, each one signed and numbered by the firm's founder, and have all been sold. "Blair's 16 Million Reserve" was awarded the Guinness World Record for the "World's Hottest" food product."
O.o

factotum
2010-08-07, 03:27 PM
16 million? Sheesh, that stuff sounds like it would be lethal at 20 paces!

Brewdude
2010-08-07, 03:46 PM
My problem with hot stuff has never been going in. It's the leaving that's the problem. Good ol' "Ass of fire" Hotsauce. (i think that's an actual brand, come to think of it).

Lord Loss
2010-08-07, 04:01 PM
Go to jamaica, mon! Some of their peppers had me chugging water for an entire half hour (no joke!). Jalapeno is for noobs. Also, I managed to get my hands on an overspiced version of an already hellish chinese soup. AYOYE!

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-08-07, 04:50 PM
OP, if you're colleagues are bragging about being the masters of hot stuff, just tell them you want to see them eat a habanero or Scotch bonnet straight. They should be easy enough to find at your local grocery store.

Xyk
2010-08-07, 05:53 PM
Remembering back, I think the hottest sauce I've ever eaten was probably roughly 90,000 scovilles. It was homemade and sooo delicious and required like 4 or 5 glasses of milk and a stick of chapstick later. I think it used a habanero and plenty of lesser peppers (jalapeno, serrano, etc.). That was awesome and painful. But mostly really tasty.

arguskos
2010-08-07, 05:55 PM
16 million? Sheesh, that stuff sounds like it would be lethal at 20 paces!
I've seen it. Never HAD it of course, since it's as close to pure capsaicin as you can get without a seriously good reason (since pure capsaicin is lethal). However, yeah, it's pretty scary stuff. Fun fact: it's three times the rating of Police-grade Pepper Spray. :smalleek:

Also, ya'll are ALL pansies. I've gone through three Scotch Bonnets before having to stop. I need to grab a Bhut Jolokia though.

Oh, and the Scoville Scale (http://www.chilliworld.com/FactFile/Scoville_Scale.asp), if you want to check things.

blackfox
2010-08-07, 08:44 PM
Slight deviation: Does anyone else dislike the taste (not the heat!) of jalapenos? They seem... I guess bitter would probably be the right word. I usually prefer to use gratuitous amounts of cayenne or not-so-gratuitous amounts of habaneros to things that would usually have jalapenos, 'cause they taste awful. :smallconfused:

Innis Cabal
2010-08-07, 08:48 PM
Go to jamaica, mon! Some of their peppers had me chugging water for an entire half hour (no joke!). Jalapeno is for noobs. Also, I managed to get my hands on an overspiced version of an already hellish chinese soup. AYOYE!

You should have drank milk, not water. Thats why you had to drink so much for so long.

Xyk
2010-08-07, 08:51 PM
Slight deviation: Does anyone else dislike the taste (not the heat!) of jalapenos? They seem... I guess bitter would probably be the right word. I usually prefer to use gratuitous amounts of cayenne or not-so-gratuitous amounts of habaneros to things that would usually have jalapenos, 'cause they taste awful. :smallconfused:

The taste is not awesome in jalapenos. Luckily, the taste goes away almost entirely when cooked with anything else. I recommend onions for most things that call for jalapenos.

afroakuma
2010-08-07, 09:07 PM
I dislike the taste of peppers; I find "spicy" foods these days are going for it too much and I've never liked that bell pepper flavor they all seem to acquire on things that are not... you know, bell peppers.

Coidzor
2010-08-07, 09:31 PM
^: Are you sure you're not just dealing with bad food?

Habanero have a pleasantly fruity flavor, whereas... jalapenos have this effect to them that I can only describe as... "Green."

Will investigate cooking jalapenos with onions though. Hehe. One of my best friends would hate that as he hates heat and hates onions.

blackfox
2010-08-07, 10:18 PM
You should have drank milk, not water. Thats why you had to drink so much for so long.Other derailing question: Is the amount of fat in milk high enough that it would actually be able to dissolve chili oils or other hot oils that are often used in, say, Thai cooking? Or is there some other reason for it?

The taste is not awesome in jalapenos. Luckily, the taste goes away almost entirely when cooked with anything else. I recommend onions for most things that call for jalapenos.Interesting... I'll keep this in mind. Thanks for the tip. :smallsmile:

arguskos
2010-08-07, 10:21 PM
Other derailing question: Is the amount of fat in milk high enough that it would actually be able to dissolve chili oils or other hot oils that are often used in, say, Thai cooking? Or is there some other reason for it?
Milk, like bread, is a strong flavor that overrides and/or absorbs other flavors, such as the heat from spicy foods. Water doesn't do squat.

I don't know the science, but a lifetime of hot foods has proven it to me, so take it as you will.

@afro: Yeaaaaah, that's just badly done food. Spice is a tricky thing to master, especially when trying to cook the actual pepper itself. Don't give up on spicy foods!

afroakuma
2010-08-07, 11:00 PM
No, it's not bad food, it's this for sure:

jalapenos have this effect to them that I can only describe as... "Green."

But what I dislike is... well, picture the flavor of a green or red bell pepper. Add that to where you're expecting spicy and tomato-ey. Tomato flavor has a richness that bell pepper flavor... well, is completely distinct from. So, like, if you're having Miss Vickie's Jalapeno chips, they have that bell pepper taste that sort of distracts from the spice.

2010-08-07, 11:05 PM
I dislike the taste of peppers; I find "spicy" foods these days are going for it too much and I've never liked that bell pepper flavor they all seem to acquire on things that are not... you know, bell peppers.

Is that all bell peppers Afro or some combination of the four varieties (yes I know variety isn't really the correct word as they're all the same cultivar/genus and species but you get the idea). They all have a slightly different flavor (albeit the same texture).

Keld Denar
2010-08-07, 11:15 PM
Tequila is great for quenching hot pepper flames. If its still burning, add more.

arguskos
2010-08-07, 11:16 PM
Tequila is great for quenching hot pepper flames. If its still burning, add more.
And, if you feel like a different sort of fire, you can light the tequila on fire for laughs! :smallbiggrin:

It's multipurpose!

musicalbookworm
2010-08-07, 11:21 PM
Other derailing question: Is the amount of fat in milk high enough that it would actually be able to dissolve chili oils or other hot oils that are often used in, say, Thai cooking? Or is there some other reason for it?

My dad, (who is a chemist and specifically took a class about the chemistry of food because he finds it interesting) says there are proteins in milk that chemically bond with the compounds that make stuff taste spicy, thus disallowing them from bonding to your taste receptors on your tongue. Or was it that they break them down? I don't remember which now...

But yeah, the fat in most milk is enough to counteract the spiciness, too. Probably at about 1% it doesn't do too much, and skim milk of course, has no fat in it. But all the others have enough to make a difference.

So, in answer to your question; both.

afroakuma
2010-08-07, 11:29 PM
Is that all bell peppers Afro or some combination of the four varieties (yes I know variety isn't really the correct word as they're all the same cultivar/genus and species but you get the idea). They all have a slightly different flavor (albeit the same texture).

I don't know; I don't often eat any except the green ones, so I can't say for certain, but it seems to be just a very bell pepper-y taste.

As to milk, it basically acts as a detergent; much the same way soap has hydrophilic and hydrophobic elements, and is able to catch oils and lift them away, milk is an emulsion of oil-catching fats and proteins in water, so it "soaps" the essential oils away from your tongue. The sugars don't hurt either.

Coidzor
2010-08-07, 11:35 PM
Thus, chocolate milk with its fat and heightened sugar content is the ultimate pepper beverage. Unless the chocolate does something undesirable.
But what I dislike is... well, picture the flavor of a green or red bell pepper. Add that to where you're expecting spicy and tomato-ey. Tomato flavor has a richness that bell pepper flavor... well, is completely distinct from. So, like, if you're having Miss Vickie's Jalapeno chips, they have that bell pepper taste that sort of distracts from the spice.

Well, I have to say, I've never encountered that myself. Then again, I don't have jalapenos all that often, and generally when I do have bell peppers they're either sauteed with onions or stewed in a tomato-based dish so they're effected by the tomato flavor rather than the tomato being effected by their flavor. So, I'm-a have to do some investigative work here.

But as of now, I've always found bell pepper and jalapeno to be distinct from one another. If they're similar enough though, hmm... Well, then, I might just have to add some sliced up, de-seeded jalapeno to the bell peppers and onions next time.

Bell peppers mostly feel waxy and flavorless unless they're prepared very well to me, so I can understand why identifying that sort of feeling or flavor would be a major turn off.

factotum
2010-08-08, 01:16 AM
Thus, chocolate milk with its fat and heightened sugar content is the ultimate pepper beverage. Unless the chocolate does something undesirable.

Speaking of which, I did try chocolate with chili in it once. It was...an acquired taste that I don't think I acquired! :smallsmile:

Innis Cabal
2010-08-08, 01:27 AM

Milk, like bread, is a strong flavor that overrides and/or absorbs other flavors, such as the heat from spicy foods. Water doesn't do squat.

I don't know the science, but a lifetime of hot foods has proven it to me, so take it as you will.

Milk (Cold) has cascin, which bonds with capsacin which renders it inert. The fat content does help a little, but it's mostly because whole milk has more cascin in it. Bread works as well, as does any drink with more then 10% sugar (This needs to be at room temp).

Coidzor
2010-08-08, 04:03 PM
Speaking of which, I did try chocolate with chili in it once. It was...an acquired taste that I don't think I acquired! :smallsmile:

Most chili-based or related candies are... in that category. like, strawberry lollipops covered with chili powder that are shaped like corn. :smallconfused: Weirdest candy I've ever run into in the flesh.

2010-08-08, 04:17 PM
I don't know; I don't often eat any except the green ones, so I can't say for certain, but it seems to be just a very bell pepper-y taste.

As to milk, it basically acts as a detergent; much the same way soap has hydrophilic and hydrophobic elements, and is able to catch oils and lift them away, milk is an emulsion of oil-catching fats and proteins in water, so it "soaps" the essential oils away from your tongue. The sugars don't hurt either.

Green bell peppers are more bitter than their red, yellow or orange counter parts. Now, you can tell you're eating bell peppers when you do, but they're much sweeter than the green ones. I personally really like to eat red ones julienned as a snack (probably wouldn't do that with green, as I use them mostly for cooking with, and have come up with a dynamite sauce with them if anyone is interested). Red bell peppers have also been found to have a lot more nutritional value than the others. Now that's not to say the others aren't good for you, but reds are the best.

Coidzor
2010-08-08, 04:48 PM
have come up with a dynamite sauce with them if anyone is interested. Red bell peppers have also been found to have a lot more nutritional value than the others. Now that's not to say the others aren't good for you, but reds are the best.

Yes please. Good to know about Red bell peppers though. IIRC, a lot of green ones are just unripened red bell peppers.

skywalker
2010-08-08, 05:37 PM
But as of now, I've always found bell pepper and jalapeno to be distinct from one another. If they're similar enough though, hmm... Well, then, I might just have to add some sliced up, de-seeded jalapeno to the bell peppers and onions next time.

I concur with this. While all the other peppers I've eaten have been at least somewhat similar, jalapenos have a certain uniquity of taste.

Bell peppers mostly feel waxy and flavorless unless they're prepared very well to me, so I can understand why identifying that sort of feeling or flavor would be a major turn off.

This is disagree with. Greens in particular have a zest to them that I find awesome. My ex-girlfriend, on the other hand, could smell green peppers and lose her appetite.

I love peppers.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-08-08, 09:31 PM
Most chili-based or related candies are... in that category. like, strawberry lollipops covered with chili powder that are shaped like corn. :smallconfused: Weirdest candy I've ever run into in the flesh.
Mmmm, Mole Poblano...

Cealocanth
2010-08-08, 10:02 PM
Commercial sauces won't burn the mouths off of most hardcore hot sauce lovers. If you really want to set them on fire, I suggest going to the store, buying a bunch of the smallest/ longest peppers you can find, and blending them into a fine puree. Get it as high capsaiasin levels as you can witout having them eat pepper spray consistency. Rule of thumb: If you can breathe while experiencing the spice, it's not hot enough!