PDA

View Full Version : Build-0-Matic 9000+

Hallavast
2010-08-07, 02:53 AM
Hey Playground, I need a 3.5 stealthy build with trapfinding and some good disable device and search (perception) skills.

The character will join a party consisting of:

-1 blaster/buffer wizard
-1 dread necromancer
-1 freaky barbarian/monk/reaping mauler/something else
-1 Archer Cleric

The campaign has seen a lot of fights against undead so far, so if you go with precision damage, please include a way to utilize it against uncrittable foes consistently and effectively.

Books allowed/owned are:
Core, complete mage/scoundrel/warrior/adventurer/divine/arcane, phb 2, libris mortis, tome of battle, MIC.

Race is human, level 13. He's coming in with more than minimum xp for 13, so I can start with some item crafting if I want to. Leadership is allowed, but I have to stick to NPC classes for all followers and cohorts (Fighter, Marshal, and Healer are considered NPC classes for this purpose :P).

Play level is equivalent to typical tier 3. Optimization is casual only. Thanks in advance.

Prodan
2010-08-07, 03:53 AM
Ranger with the Trap Expert ACF and FE: Undead or Rogue with wands of Gravestrike.

Math_Mage
2010-08-07, 03:59 AM
Ranger with the Trap Expert ACF and FE: Undead or Rogue with wands of Gravestrike.

This, plus Scout if you want the precision damage (go Swift Hunter).

gomipile
2010-08-07, 05:41 AM
A factotum with lots of hidden daggers, the Hidden Blade skill trick, and the Iaijutsu Focus skill would work as well.

If you can't get Iaijutsu Focus, the feat Knowledge Devotion from Complete Champion could work as well.

If neither of the above are available, the factotum can still do nearly anything you need if you apply some creativity to it.

Also, a Swift Hunter Ranger/Scout build can use Skirmish against favored enemies.

There is a rogue ACF in Dungeonscape, I think, which allows the rogue to get half of its sneak attack dice against uncrittable foes, in exchange for Trap Sense.

thompur
2010-08-07, 08:36 AM
I would second Factotum, but he doesn't seem to have access to Dungeonscape, nor Complete Champion.:smallannoyed:

Frosty
2010-08-07, 11:47 AM
Swift Hunter all the way. You've already got Greater Manyshot and Improved Skirmish by level 13. Go and riddle things with arrows!

Hallavast
2010-08-07, 01:55 PM
Tanks for the ideas so far. I was hoping for a more detailed build with class/feat progression by level and so forth, but I welcome anything you're willing to put forward.

On the wand of gravestrike idea: how does this work? The gravestrike spell is a swift action, but in wand form it relies on spell trigger, and spelltrigger is a standard action activation. Seeing as how gravestrike is a one round duration spell, is there some obvious trick involving AoO or metamagic that I'm not getting?

Math_Mage
2010-08-07, 02:09 PM
Tanks for the ideas so far. I was hoping for a more detailed build with class/feat progression by level and so forth, but I welcome anything you're willing to put forward.

On the wand of gravestrike idea: how does this work? The gravestrike spell is a swift action, but in wand form it relies on spell trigger, and spelltrigger is a standard action activation. Seeing as how gravestrike is a one round duration spell, is there some obvious trick involving AoO or metamagic that I'm not getting?

The obvious trick is to throw the Rules Compendium at your DM.

Activating a spell trigger item takes the same
amount of time as the casting time of the spell
that the item stores, but activating the item
doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity.

AdamSmasher
2010-08-07, 02:09 PM
I think it says somewhere that wands with a spell with a cast time of swift/immediate have a faster activation, as long as you have them in hand and at the ready.

Hallavast
2010-08-07, 02:55 PM
The obvious trick is to throw the Rules Compendium at your DM.

I suppose I could try to find a digital copy to throw at him... thank you.