PDA

View Full Version : 4e TP System

Ceaon
2010-08-07, 07:43 AM
Hey everyone.
I have created a Tech Point system for 4e, that replaces the at-will/encounter/daily system. I could use some help refining it though.

1. Your Tech Points score
You gain TP at 1st level equal to 10 + your lowest ability score.
You gain +4 TP each level.
You also gain an additional 5 TP at level 11 and at level 21.

2. Regaining Tech Points
After a short rest, you regain a quarter of your TP. After a full rest, you regain all TP.

3. Tech Point Costs
At-will attack powers cost 1 TP.

Encounter attack powers cost either 4, 6, 8 or 10 TP. Your lowest level encounter powers always costs the least. For example, if you have a level 1 and a level 3 encounter power, the level 1 power costs 4 TP, and the level 3 power costs 6 TP. If you choose multiple same-level powers, they both have the same (lower) cost.

Daily attack powers cost either 8, 12, 16 or 20 TP. Otherwise, they work the same as encounter powers.

Utility powers cost either 1, 4 or 8 TP, depending on whether they were at-will, encounter or daily.

At-will or encounter Class powers (like Oath of enmity or Healing Word) cost no TP and are still able to be used at-will, once or twice per encounter. Daily class power all cost 8 TP.

Gralamin
2010-08-07, 09:09 AM
Hey everyone.
I have created a Tech Point system for 4e, that replaces the at-will/encounter/daily system. I could use some help refining it though.

1. Your Tech Points score
You gain TP at 1st level equal to 10 + your lowest ability score.
You gain +4 TP each level.
You also gain an additional 5 TP at level 11 and at level 21.

2. Regaining Tech Points
After a short rest, you regain a quarter of your TP. After a full rest, you regain all TP.

3. Tech Point Costs
At-will attack powers cost 1 TP.

Encounter attack powers cost either 4, 6, 8 or 10 TP. Your lowest level encounter powers always costs the least. For example, if you have a level 1 and a level 3 encounter power, the level 1 power costs 4 TP, and the level 3 power costs 6 TP. If you choose multiple same-level powers, they both have the same (lower) cost.

Daily attack powers cost either 8, 12, 16 or 20 TP. Otherwise, they work the same as encounter powers.

Utility powers cost either 1, 4 or 8 TP, depending on whether they were at-will, encounter or daily.

At-will or encounter Class powers (like Oath of enmity or Healing Word) cost no TP and are still able to be used at-will, once or twice per encounter. Daily class power all cost 8 TP.

How do basic attacks work? When a Warlord tells you to make a basic attack, does he give you TP to do it if its a 1st level at-will power? What if your a seeker, and your RBA is actually a level 11+ encounter power? Do Psionic classes only have to consistently pay 1 unless they use a daily?

In addition, the math seems broken: I can expect PCs under this system to start at 20. 20/4 = 5 points per short rest. So Without dipping in, the PC can use 1 encounter and 1 at-will in an encounter, when typically they will want to use multiple at-wills and the encounter.

On the other hand, at level 1 I can, over three rounds, drop down two dailies and an encounter. This will completely destroy an encounter. I rest for 5, and if I just use at-wills for a while, I can pretty quickly get up to 10 or so.

In short, I don't think that the approach you are taking works.