PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with wounded houserules (3.5)

Harperfan7
2010-08-07, 11:56 AM
I want a fairly simple system for wounded rules. Not specifically wounded body parts, just something like this...

at <75% total hit points, take a x penalty to attack rolls, saving throws, skill & ability checks, x penalty to speed
at <50% take a bigger penalty
and at <25% take an even bigger one

I almost want to add in <10%, but I'm undecided.

I also want some sort of spell failure (divine and arcane) for being wounded, but a flat +50% or whatever seems like it would punish players who invest in concentration.

must haves - reduced speed, reduced casting ability, penalty to most actions, hp related.

Thanks in advance.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-08-07, 12:10 PM
I'd stage the penalties, so that rather than getting a small penalty to everything at each level, you get a medium sized penalty to one, then another, then another of the things you've mentioned.

So - for example - you get this:
<75% hp: -2 to skill and ability checks
<50% hp: -10 feet base speed
<25% hp: -2 to attack and damage

You could change those from fixed penalties to scale with level, by making them "halve your skill ranks" and "halve your BAB".
Depends how harsh you want to be.

I think, though, that skills will suffer before speed, and speed before combat - self preservation works that way, I think.

dresdor
2010-08-07, 12:18 PM
For spell fail, just have it be a concentration based check with a DC varying by how injured you are.

You should have spell level be a part of the DC calculation to help it scale better.