PDA

View Full Version : Obtain Familiar at 1st

Thefurmonger
2010-08-07, 12:46 PM
Hey all. quick question.

Do you think it would be balanced to allow someone (A Beguiler in this case) to take the feat Obtain Familiar at 1st LVL?

You can meet the skill req at 1st, and for the life of me I cant really see why you would need CL 3 for it.

What are your thoughts?

Arbitrarity
2010-08-07, 12:50 PM
Seems fair. I suspect the CL prerequisite is to prevent dipping for Obtain Familiar, which... I'm not sure what sort of major benefits it would have, honestly, but since it shares skill ranks, BAB, and hp, there has to be something.

Marnath
2010-08-07, 12:53 PM
If you're going to houserule it, i have to wonder why you don't take the final step and just make it a class feature, rather than waste a feat.

Yorrin
2010-08-07, 01:28 PM
To summarize by above posters- no, there's nothing unbalanced about it. As houserules go that's pretty tame.

Thefurmonger
2010-08-07, 03:20 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I just was not sure if there was something I was not thinking of that would break the world at lvl 1-2 but not at 3+, apperently not.

I am the player here, not the DM, but even if i were the DM I would not just let a Beguiler have the Familiar as a CF. honestly it makes for a free +2 to all skills for 1 feat. well worth it for a 6 SP Int based caster. that and UMD as a class skill with Familiars that can talk.

Again, thanks again