PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about military service

Dmatix
2010-08-07, 01:29 PM
As a soldier, I had some interesting experience discussing military service in general on different forums(both on and offline). Some people seemed off put by the fact I was an enlisted man, for various reasons. So, I would like to hear your opinion or experiences with the military (any military) and serving in it.

Danne
2010-08-07, 01:44 PM
I don't see why people should be put off by the fact that you were enlisted. I disagree with certain military policies, but that doesn't mean I have a problem with individual soldiers. They risk their lives to keep me and mine safe.

Thank you for your service. :smallsmile:

Spiryt
2010-08-07, 01:48 PM
I kind of simulated before the recruitment commission. Not that it matters, as we have prof. army now, but hey, that's my military experience. :smallbiggrin:

Dmatix
2010-08-07, 02:03 PM
The funny thing is that as a none-combatant solider, I also get a certain amount of disrespect from combat troops. To clarify , I serve in the IDF.

Xyk
2010-08-07, 02:05 PM
As a pacifist, I honestly cannot see the reasoning behind joining the military. No matter how many positive labels you put on it, at its core, the military is made for murder. I understand that there is a serious threat to the country that needs to be dealt with, but I also think there are better ways to do it.

I can't see voluntarily killing anyone when there is an option not to.

Edit: As a non-combative, that's totally cool, and I respect you.

Elfin
2010-08-07, 02:24 PM
I strongly disagree with many aspects and policies of the military, and am against war in general - but I definitely won't hold a grudge against someone just because they joined the military, even though I personally wouldn't.

Dmatix
2010-08-07, 02:26 PM
My loathing of killing is one of the reasons I chose to become a non combative, the other of course being afraid to die or get hurt myself. I should note that military service in Israel is mandatory, although fairly easy to bail from if you really don't want to. I choose to serve anyway.

skywalker
2010-08-07, 02:31 PM
This thread doesn't seem like it's going to get too far, but I'm crossing my fingers for it anyway!

The funny thing is that as a none-combatant solider, I also get a certain amount of disrespect from combat troops. To clarify , I serve in the IDF.

That doesn't seem too shocking. Military people tend to make fun of everyone.

As a pacifist, I honestly cannot see the reasoning behind joining the military. No matter how many positive labels you put on it, at its core, the military is made for murder. I understand that there is a serious threat to the country that needs to be dealt with, but I also think there are better ways to do it.

I can't see voluntarily killing anyone when there is an option not to.

Edit: As a non-combative, that's totally cool, and I respect you.

No, at its core, the military is an arm of government authorized by that government to use force. Frequently, gov'ts use militaries to exert force on other people, and that frequently involves killing people. But that is not necessarily murder. Unless you're of the opinion that all killing is murder, which of course you're entitled to.

There's always an option not to kill someone, if the choice is voluntary. It's just a question of whether or not you're content with the alternative.

Roland St. Jude
2010-08-07, 02:55 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Yeah, once we get into the actions of governments, that's politics. Thread locked.