PDA

View Full Version : Iron Crane Sleeves <3.5> [PEACH]

SonOfJubilex
2010-08-07, 03:34 PM
Here's a sweet weapon from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon:

Iron Sleeves
Exotic One-Handed Weapons (Often Sold in Pairs)
Damage: 1d6-1
Crit Range: x3

These sleeves are often worn by monks who want an extra "oomph" to their blows. They are made from overlapping plates of metal, stone, or dragon scales in rarer cases. They are both offensive and defensive weapons.

Special: Monks and Ninja treat the Iron Sleeves as part of their proficiency. The wearer is still treated as unarmed when wielding these. In addition to the unarmed damage, you deal the 1d8. When you are attacked by a slashing or piercing weapon, add a +2 shield bonus to your AC. You are treated as unarmored when wearing an Iron Sleeve. You gain a +2 bonus to disarm checks against your foe's weapon on slashing and piercing weapons and +2 to sleight of hand checks involving hiding the sleeves, since they can be hidden under the wearer's coat sleeves.

JKTrickster
2010-08-07, 05:15 PM
These are fine and all but you missed just one tiny piece of information. Nothing too big really. Its understandable.

So now how much do these cost? :smallbiggrin:

And you note about often sold in pairs: what happens if you only buy one? And if you use two, does that +2d8?

Admiral Squish
2010-08-07, 05:23 PM
I think, in execution, these should be basically bracers, but with a +2 AC bonus and bonus damage to strikes. Do they include hand/knuckle guards?

On a side note, I REALLY want to see a character who fights with armored gauntlets and greaves as his main weapons.

SonOfJubilex
2010-08-07, 05:27 PM
Okay. Let's talk price:

I haven't a clue ;p

and damage works as such: Each separate punch (such as a right cross) adds +1d8. So if you wear 2, you get the +1d8 for each arm, not a total

and no, the metal sleeves do not have knuckle guards. The bonus damage is from the weight of these sleeves

Admiral Squish
2010-08-07, 05:38 PM
Okay, for serious critique, then.

I'd probably lower the bonus damage. That's a LOT of damage for some extra weight, and I'd probably include an attack penalty. Without hand'knuckle guards, this weapon would put incredible stress on your hands: using it without training would likely damage you. People without improved unarmed strike might take dex damage or something as you crunch the bones in your hand.

Then, I think the AC bonus should be flat. A guy wearing a bracer doesn't get extra bonus if he has a hugh dex. Considering these cover the whole arm, though, I'd say it'd be +2, rather than +1.

DO you gain the bonus TO disarm, or AGAINST disarm? Also, you need to specify 'sleight of hand made to conceal them', because as it stands, they get a bonus to palming coins while wearing these.

JKTrickster
2010-08-07, 05:50 PM
I don't think there needs to be an attack penalty. These are already Exotic weapons; that should cover for the need for proper training part.

On the other hand, how do these interact with TWF?

Rithaniel
2010-08-07, 07:32 PM
That's interesting, this is almost exactly like a weapon (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Metal_Sleeve_(3.5e_Equipment)) I made a while back (even the crit).