PDA

View Full Version : Horatio@Bridge Presents: Lost in the Realm of Brass and Shadows

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-07, 03:35 PM
You follow carefully up the ramp in the mountain cave as Captain Peleps Lalia viciously assaults her mother. Screaming curses, the Eclipse caste Dragonblooded impostor hurls herself at the serene form of her Solar progenitor, who calmly ducks, deflects, or absorbs each attack launched by her infuriated offspring. When the party reaches the half-way point up the ramp, a humming can be heard from the central pagoda at the top of the path and the hair on the back of your arms begins to stand on end. At three-quarters of the way, the smell of ozone can be distinctly detected in the air, and a faint corona of lightning can be seen around the pagoda. Captain Peleps finally collapses, exhausted of physical and magical power, at the top of the path, and at this point her mother calmly steps forward and scoops up her wayward daughter. When you move forward to speak to the Elder Exalt, she holds up one hand.

"My daughter and I have much to discuss, but you cannot come with us. You must experience their world for yourself."

As she speaks, she takes one step back onto the pagoda's first stair, and then there is a mighty roar as lightning erupts from the pagoda and bathes the cavern in thunder and fury. The path falls away below you, and you begin to fall...

-----------Ehren-----------

You awake when you feel a tugging on your hook swords. Striking like a snake, you snatch the hand of the offending thief and open your eyes.

The first thing you notice is the stench. Unwashed people, a multitude of them, surround you. You lie in a low cavern...more like a wide corridor, deep within some building far underground. Your captive looks on you, eyes wide, and babbles something incoherent.

Old Realm...that's what that swordsman said they speak. Too bad you hadn't had time to pick it up...

-----------No Name and Ongvuve----------

In a whistle of air you fall through space and suddenly stop, slamming into a metal wall and ricocheting down a corridor at breakneck speeds. Crystals shatter behind you and ropes of hoses snap like string as you careen through them, venting steam, oil, and other less identifiable substances. You finally come to a halt upside down against a outcrop of what seems to be pure jade. A buzzing sound fills your ears, and then a wasp zips across your vision and settles on the ground in front of you. In a flash of silver light, the wasp unfolds into your companion Ongvuve.

-----------Hayaiken-----------

You throw yourself down one of the seemingly infinite shafts that honeycomb this wretched Sol-forsaken place as a hail of projectiles rattles off the wall above you. The fevered cries of your pursuers echoes through the cavernous spaces of this twisted metal landscape, the same cries that had haunted you since you first came to this place. You slide down a ramp into a lower level of the place, launching yourself over a small but bottomless hole at the bottom of the ramp to pull yourself into another corridor. Panting, you rise to your feet, only to see another group of the twisted metal monstrosities already waiting for you. A bottomless pit behind you, crazed maniacal entities in front of you, you finally seem to be brought to bay...

If you want to fight, roll Join Battle (Wits + Awareness). If you want to keep running, describe what you want to do and roll something appropriate.

-----------Zilla and Captain Peleps------------

You come to flat on your face in a bright room filled with many people. You look up to see Lalia's mother, still holding your exhausted companion over one shoulder, looking quite surprised to see you. The Orichalcum Man stands behind the Solar, and he reacts quickly to your presence. He calls out orders in the strange tongue of the invaders, and a dozen warriors advance on you from all sides.

chailem
2010-08-08, 06:13 PM
I, [ahem] Ongvove, examine my surroundings, in an attempt to discern the nature of this place, the universe, and everything in it. I also stretch, as shifting out of my wasp form tends to give me a crick in my shoulders.

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-09, 01:43 PM
Ongvuve finds himself in the midst of a technological waste heap. Faint light flickers from broken essence conduits, illuminating a long stretch of wrecked iron and broken cables where The Man With No Name careened through the area. The room where you find yourself is cavernous, but clearly constructed. It puts you in mind of what you imagine one of the First Age's factory-cathedrals to look like, except there's no equipment to build anything. It's simply a large area filled with pipes and veins of various metals. Perhaps a storehouse, built out of the very materials it was meant to store.

Ehren the Lunar
2010-08-10, 03:44 PM
While Ehren takes a few moments to gather his wits, he studies his surroundings and the people within. He has no immediate animosity for the thief, but will not allow any further attempts. Assuming a stance more suited for the low ceiling of the corridor, he begins to explore, towing the hapless thief along. His first order of business is to understand the area he is in, including the people.

Zilla
2010-08-10, 05:34 PM
I follow my cardinal rule for situations that perplex me: "When in doubt, become a T-Rex."

chailem
2010-08-10, 05:50 PM
--Ongvove--
Filing away his surroundings for later consideration, Ongvove searches around the room for a way out, other than the considerable hole in the ceiling. Ol' nameless one looks too heavy to carry. Far from curious about his surroundings, he considers what around him might possibly kill him, as the Genzoshan warriors had recently provided ample example for.

He turns to his current ally, saying, "Unless you like the view, we should probably go somewhere a little less conspicuous."

Achan_hiArusa
2010-08-10, 06:46 PM
Peleps may be able to raise a finger with effort. Otherwise she just makes grunts of frustration.

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-10, 07:04 PM
--Ehren--

Perhaps a hundred filthy specimins of humanity, most of them huddled in small areas with piles of rags nearby that you deduce must be bedding. The entire area seems to be a settlement of some sort, reminiscent of beggar colonies in the larger cities of Creation. Though the thief struggles and cries out for help, most of the people make a point of not looking at Ehren and his captive, trying to stay out of the situation. A few of the younger members of the herd of people follow Ehren with burning resentment in their eyes, but seem reluctant to confront an armed and apparantly skilled warrior.

--Zilla--

The room erupts into chaos as Zilla expands into a tower of muscle and concentrated rage. Soldiers hem her in with spears, and the Orichalcum man readies his staff. Peleps's mother leaps back with her daughter in arm, keeping her out of the looming fight.

If you want to fight it out, roll Wits + Awareness for Join Battle. Otherwise we can narrate it. If you want to do that, tell me a little about what you want to do and move the scene forward a bit. You can fairly freely maul extras, but try to keep the major characters fairly intact.

scsimodem
2010-08-10, 07:11 PM
Nameless stands up, dusts himself off, and looks around.

"Let's get moving."

He then seems to just pick a random direction and start walking.

Zilla
2010-08-10, 07:20 PM
As my T-Rex form expands, I kick out one of my legs and catch one of the soldiers under my foot. My increasing weight rapidly crushes him. As the other soldiers charge and get between me and Captain Peleps, I experience an inexplicable dismay. I have long been unaccustomed to caring much for any single person, since I tend to see things from a perspective of natural systems, ecological balance, and personal prowess. This sudden desire to aid Captain Peleps mystifies me, but I cannot resist it. I neatly bite a few soldiers in halves and charge toward my ally. My tail slams against a supporting wall, and the room develops long, spidery cracks in the ceiling. One of the outer walls shudders and leans outward.

Achan_hiArusa
2010-08-10, 07:30 PM
As I struggle to look up at the fight, I feel this strange feeling I'm not accustom to. I think it is called concern. As I mutely try to find it, I feel the words "Don't die this time" forming on my lips. As shocked as I can be in my weakened state I push it back down as I try to focus on the fact that my mother is so near and if I only had the strength and a dagger, I might be able to end my pain. Otherwise I can only hang there in helpless rage and confusion.

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-10, 07:34 PM
--Ongvove and No Name--

Several doors lead out of the room, leading into other rooms and corridors. You seem to have found yourself in a vast industrial complex. Small pools of light cast by scattered essence lights break up long stretches of blackened corridors. As you walk it becomes apparant that you're not in a factory complex, but rather some sort of gigantic building, it's purpose vast and obscure. You're in the middle of long, twisting corridors, leading from one location to another, with many unused rooms either long abandoned or still waiting to be assigned.

Pipes run through the walls parallel to the corridors, carrying various exotic liquids. At one point, Ongvove even senses the flow of essence through one set of pipes.

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-10, 07:40 PM
--Zilla and Peleps--

The soldiers scatter like chaffe before the mighty T-Rex's charge, but the Orichalcum Man steps in the way. A golden shaft of light springs out from his staff, and he levels it at Zilla. The light burns into Zilla's flank, cutting into her and cauterizing the wound as it scythes through her flesh. A devestating blow for any mortal, the attack only servies to make the towering dinosaur even angrier!

chailem
2010-08-10, 07:57 PM
--- Ongvove ---
Ongvove turns to... Mike. Mike's a good name. He turns to Mike, and points out the essence pipes. "If those go to anything important, it'll probably be in the middle of this crazy place. How about we go the other way, since it stands a good chance of having an exit?"

Achan_hiArusa
2010-08-10, 07:57 PM
Laelia feels to need to do something and struggles weakly in her mother's arms. The fact that she is in her arms has suddenly become a fact of almost no importance.

Sigh, I guess I know where my 1 point of Compassion worth of Intimacy is going. Also the OOC is scrolling really slow (I miss the banter). Oh, and add one more limit break for being helpless.

scsimodem
2010-08-10, 08:00 PM
Sure, let's see what this place is, then go from there.

'Mike' strolls in the direction indicated by the Lunar, steadily heading where he hopes is outward.

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-10, 08:08 PM
--Ongvove and The Man With No Name--

The two Exalts follow the essence pipes deeper into the strange complex. They travel for hours, moving from corridor to corridor, walking along riveted catwalks traversing huge cavernous spaces, and crossing large stretches of open floor beneath great domes of steel. The whole time they walk through silent, empty stretches, the only sign of life the occasional faint scrabbling of rats behind the walls.

The sudden sound of voices is a shock after the hours of silence. The voice echoes through the corridors, its origin uncertain, and for a moment it seems the two travelers had merely hallucinated it until it is answered by another voice. Neither utterance is intelligible, twisted by the echoes of the corridors and originating in a strange language anyway.

Ehren the Lunar
2010-08-10, 08:09 PM
Ehren faces the now worried vagrant, and gives him a signal to be silent. He leads the man to a darkened corner and begins to attemp communication with him. using a piece of charcoal, he draws a diagram of the surroundings to the extent that he has experienced them. after exhausting his knowledge of the area, he passes the peice of charcoal to the still trembling tramp.

"show me the lay of the place, good man. Help me to find my associates."

Zilla
2010-08-10, 08:10 PM
Rage sweeps over me. Although the Oricalchum man has inspired my ire, even now the pull of Laelia's distress pulls my attention to saving her rather than stomping the metallic aberrant. Ignoring the pain lancing through my leg, I surge forward again, determined to move past the enemy. When he swings his sword at me again, I shuffle to the side and push the wall outward. Bits of the ceiling tumble toward the ground and bounce on the floor like hailstones. The hail of material increases, threatening an imminent collapse. I make another desperate attempt to reach Captain Peleps before she is injured further.

Achan_hiArusa
2010-08-10, 08:14 PM
I'm fine, it's you who is getting hurt. I don't think my mother would let anyone touch me. I am distress, but it is because I see, hear, and smell you being hurt.

chailem
2010-08-10, 08:25 PM
--Ongvove--
Ongvove turns to 'Mike', suggesting, "I could go check this out as a wasp. It would be convenient if they were a human or something. If they spot me and try to kill me... I'll buzz loudly or something."

Ongvove then shrinks in size until his barely perceptible totem whisks away toward the warbled voices down the hallway.

Stealth check is 8 successes on a 13 die pool

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-10, 08:27 PM
--Ehren--

Trembling slightly, the tramp reaches for the piece of charcoal and looks at the wall, confused.

"I don't think he's got any idea what you're saying,"" a grizzled older man says, speaking from the floor nearby. "Aren't many around here that have spent much time in the sky lands to pick up even a bit of the local languages. A bit curious how you picked it up. You're not one of the slaves we picked up, none of them are allowed to have weapons. You from the other side, then, maybe come to scout us?"

--Zilla--

A loud thudding hammers through the entry hall, and Zilla reels under the impact of dozens of arrows. A squad of black-armored soldiers stands at the entrance to the room, firing arrows from huge crossbows resting on their shoulders. Zilla's head spins as she looks toward this new threat, and she realizes that the arrows had been poisoned. A single arrow wouldn't faze her at all, but the soldiers fire a steady barrage, pumping her full of lethargy inducing toxin.

Achan_hiArusa
2010-08-10, 08:29 PM
I manage a scream. "NO!"

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-10, 08:32 PM
--Ongvove--

Ongvove swiftly closes in on the voices, flying into a vent nearby and using it to cut past a few walls to come in behind the travelers. Peering out of the vent, he sees a dozen or so ragged humans shuffling through the halls, tools and traveling packs thrown over their backs. The front two bear essence lamps on their heads, lighting the way for the entire group. Each of the mortals bears the same gem on their forehead as that borne by the soldiers Ongvove had encountered back near the village and on Mount Garados, though these travelers lack the environmental suits and weaponry of that first group.

Ehren the Lunar
2010-08-10, 08:36 PM
Ehren studies the grizzled elder for a moment. He then glances at the unfortunate sap beside him, smiles his most congenial smile, and shoos him away.

"I had hoped to work through the language barrier, Honored Elder." Ehren murmered as he turned to face the other gentalman. "May I hear your name, good sir?"

Zilla
2010-08-10, 08:40 PM
Unfortunately for the soldiers, I soon realize that the lethargy-inducing toxin will not affect me in my war-form. I shift quickly, roaring proudly as the effects of the toxin diminish and then fade away. A sharp pang of regret distracts me as I realize I cannot speak to them in a way they will understand, no matter how much I want to cry,
Fools! You cannot defeat me, for I am inexhaustable! Also, I am hungry! Also, you are dead! I lunge at the crossbowmen and eat one noisily. One of the others leaps back in revulsion at the gore (and table manners), while yet others continue to fire their useless arrows. Although the war-form T-Rex is smaller than my spirit form, my feet are massive enough to pulpify another crossbowman as I press forward and march over the horde of men.
If "pulpify" is not a word, I want to make it one.
My war-form has the "inexhaustible" affliction, which means I never take fatigue penalties.

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-10, 08:46 PM
--Ehren--

"I'm Corban," the older man says. "No need to stand by all that formal stuff here, though. We're all Lumpen here, the all-singing, all-dancing crap of this world."

He grins slightly.

"Notice you didn't answer my questions about where you're from. Guess it don't matter much, though. Crap is crap, am I right?"

He shifts slightly, the blanket around him falling away slightly to reveal a strange contraption of metal and gears where his left arm should be.

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-10, 08:54 PM
--Zilla--

Once again, the Orichalcum Man is there to block her progress. Throwing up his hands, he projects a huge wall of essence to force her back away from the archers. A massive man made of Jade drops down to her rear left, putting up a flickering green barrier, while a faintly glittering Starmetal woman drops in on Zilla's right and puts up a glistening barrier seemingly made of starlight. A fourth figure, this one clad in Soulsteel, leaps up to the wall above the hemmed in dinosaur-woman, a huge essence cannon clasped in one arm. The cannon begins to hum and a singular point of essence begins to build at its tip, and then Peleps's mother cries out in the strange alien language.

"Stop, please!" she calls out to Zilla. "There's no need for anyone else to die. You can't fight your way past them all. If you'll surrender to me, I will guarantee your safe conduct."

chailem
2010-08-10, 08:58 PM
--Ongvove--
After considering the pathetic looking bunch of what appeared to be some manner of slave labor, he zips around the corner and returns to his human form, then coming around the bend, he waves as non-threateningly as possible.

"Hello. " in Low Realm, then, after a moment, in Flame Tongue, just in case. "Please let one of them speak something other than Old Realm", Ongvove murmured to himself.

Ehren the Lunar
2010-08-10, 08:59 PM
Ehren drops to his haunches next to Corban. He pulls some recently dried fish from his pack and offers it to the older man.

"You were right in your guess, there was no need to tell you as much. Just as I find no need for rudeness to the honored elder. Besides, since I am about ask a number of questions, I hope that the politeness will get me answers. I need to know where I am and which way is out. I also need to know what purpose the captives are being taken for. And, since I am here, I am looking for an elder, my sensei and mentor. Taken from his bed while travelling between monastaries. I will take him from here, and if these people desire it, I will attempt to bring them along. I am quite sure that I disapprove of slavery quite heartily."

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-10, 09:04 PM
--Ongvove--

The travelers stop, surprised to see you approach. The lead two travelers look at each other quizzically as you speak, then one gets a bright look. He holds up one finger, then removes his pack and begins to dig around in it. After a few minutes he pulls out a tablet, a screen of crystal surrounded by metal. He pulls out a stylus from the side of the tablet and scrawls something that looks vaguely like the Old Realm you've seen in sorcerous writings. He hands it over to you, gesturing for you to take it.

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-10, 09:09 PM
--Ehren--

Corban shifts slightly, pulling his blanket back over his left arm.

"Out? Of the dormitories, or the city? Or are you trying to get back to the sky lands? If it's the latter, I'll wish you luck on it. The only way out is through the Seal, and that's controlled by the Tripartate Assembly. They've got a full squad of Champions supported by dozens of gunzosha troops guarding that."

Zilla
2010-08-10, 09:10 PM
"I suppose I have no choice but to surrender. But I have not forgotten how you have just stood by while these people have attacked me. They tried to pen a tyrant lizard, which is nigh unforgivable in my book."
I casually pick up the tattered cloak of one of the dying soldiers and use it to dab daintily at my blood-spattered lips.

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-10, 09:18 PM
--Zilla--

"Please forgive me. It's only that I was shocked by your presence and sudden attack. The Autochthonians only reacted as they are trained to do. They must act swiftly and decisively here, you see, as death is also swift in this place."

chailem
2010-08-10, 09:18 PM
--Ongvove--

Annoyed but resigned, he looks at the stylus, he begins his attempt at pictionary. He writes the term he knows refers to the Old Realm language in Old Realm, with an X over it. He then hands it back.

Zilla
2010-08-10, 09:24 PM
"What will you do with Laelia, then? And me? Why are we here?" I carefully note the positions of the exalts around me and the height of the walls they are producing.
4 successes on perception plus awareness

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-10, 09:25 PM
--Ongvuve--

When you take the tablet, the words in Old Realm shift and reformat themselves, forming perfectly legible Forestspeak.

"Greetings, traveler. Do you need help?"

scsimodem
2010-08-10, 09:28 PM
I'm assuming I eventually wander into where the conversation is going.

The large man walks steadily around the corner to meet Ongvove.

Any progress?

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-10, 09:30 PM
--Zilla and Peleps--

"We are all honored guests of the Tripartate Assembly, as you are both part of my diplomatic entourage. I have already been given assurances of our safe passage and return to Creation when we wish it. If you will swear to do no harm to the Assembly and their city, and to abide by the rules of diplomatic conduct, then you may be included in the oaths of protection."

chailem
2010-08-10, 09:31 PM
--Ongvove--

Flooded with relief, he writes, "First, do you have a spare of one of these styluses? Second, Hello, I am a traveler who has lost his way, along with my companion who waited so as to avoid... ah, here he is. As you can see, he is a scary man, who could probably strangle me with his ankle. I was wondering if you could direct me towards the way out of this place?"

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-10, 09:32 PM

The travelers chatter among themselves when the large Exalt enters the corridor, but seem fairly relaxed at his sudden appearance. They seem to accept that he and Ongvove are fellow travelers with no ill intent.

The lead traveler takes the tablet, the words in Forestspeak turning into Old Realm as it changes hands. He reads the message, then writes.

"Sadly, this is the only translation artifact we have at the moment. Still, you are welcome to use it as long as you travel with us. We are nomads, and we have seen many places. Where are you trying to reach? Perhaps we have been there."

Zilla
2010-08-10, 09:36 PM
"Promise not to harm them? This doesn't make sense to me. If they attack me or try to steal my prey or impede my path, of course I must harm them. If they don't, then why would I bother them? And what are these diplomatic codes? I certainly won't swear to something I don't understand. It seems pointless." I growl a little and add, "You haven't really answered my questions, anyway. I'm no diplomat. Why am I even here?"

chailem
2010-08-10, 09:42 PM
--Ongvove--
Sharing the stylus with his companion, Ongvove then writes, "Originally we are from Creation, a land that we were traveling south from. While we greatly desire to return to our homeland, we were separated from our other friends, and are looking for them."

Ehren the Lunar
2010-08-10, 09:43 PM
"Well, all three, as it were. I plan to find Master Gavinicus, and then exit this place. I rather enjoy trees, you know. Also, I suspect there are others of my frame of mind located in these infernal tunnels. The lot of us should be capable of slipping the shackles. Gather these people, guide them, urge them to fight for their freedom."
Ehren stashes the rest of the fish, stands, and stretches to limber up his limbs. He pulls his hook swords form the scabbards and gives a show of inspecting the obviously flawlwss moonsilver blades.

"I don't trust luck, Corban. It tends to leave you in dark and forboding holes."

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-10, 09:43 PM
--Zilla and Peleps--

Peleps's mother chews her lip.

"That's a good question. If you were on the path when the Seal was breached, you should have been cast far from this place. The odds of you appearing just here, so close to the terminal point of the gate, are astronomical to say the least. Nevertheless, you are here. If we are to survive and prosper in the light of that incontrovertible fact, we must all adapt to it. If we cannot change the environment, we must learn to live within it, is it not so?"

scsimodem
2010-08-10, 09:45 PM
Taking the stylus.

Yes, a large lizard, a pompous brat, a guy with a long coat and a really cool sword, and some sort of owlman.

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-10, 09:49 PM

The lead traveler frowns.

"Creation? I haven't heard of this place, and I have traveled far and wide through the Reaches. Is it a new city? And sadly, I haven't come across anyone like you've described. What is an owl?"

--Ehren--

"An uprising?" he chuckles. "This lot? You have a much greater faith in mankind than I do, my friend. The Champions would tear us apart in moments. They've done it before at the behest of the Assembly, they'll do it again. No room for dissension in Autochthonia, there's not the resources for it. Course, if they knew what we'd seen, out beyond the Seal...well, then they'd have something to fight for, a place to get beyond the reach of the Champions. If you can get us there, pfeh" he spits. "The Assembly can have this place!"

Zilla
2010-08-10, 09:50 PM
"I guess what you're saying is, 'If all you can catch is a stinky horse, you have to eat it.' I have lived this lesson. I understand it. I will accompany you, but I won't swear anything," I reply.

scsimodem
2010-08-10, 09:52 PM
I think we're a long way from the south. Do they have owls in the East? Is there another word for Creation?

Zilla
2010-08-10, 09:56 PM
--Ongvove--
Snatching the stylus, he says, "The nearest city would be our best alternative. Where are we now? Is the city mostly occupied by other humans?"
To 'Mike', "I think you'd better leave the diplomacy to me, Southerner."

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-10, 10:05 PM

"We're close to the nation of Gulak. The holy city of Thutot is there. It has a close connection to the Great Maker, and they may have some record of this Creation place."

At the name of the Great Maker, a bell goes off in Ongvove's head. The Great Maker was another name for Autochthon, the great Primordial craftsman who had forged the Exalted shards as weapons to be used against his brethren. He had disappeared ages ago, long millennium before the Usurpation.

Ehren the Lunar
2010-08-10, 10:10 PM
Ehren grins, the dim light flashing in his eyes. He places the serpentine blades in the scabbards. He turns his head back to Corban, looks pointedly at the now covered metal arm.

"The Thousand Rivers will flow regardless of the fallen seed, Corban. Only the the seed itself can strive to reach the sky. I know where I will be going. It is your choice to follow."

With that Ehren strides proudly form the area in the effort to reconnect with his most recent associates.

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-10, 10:15 PM
--Ehren--

Corban calls after Ehren as he turns to walk away.

"Hold on, friend! What did you have in mind?"

chailem
2010-08-10, 10:17 PM
--Ongvove--
Speaking to his companion, "We must be where the ancient Primordial Autochthon disappeared to. I suspect he may have something to do with those metal people we saw earlier."

Turning back to the locals, "Could you take us to this city? ...or give us directions?"

scsimodem
2010-08-10, 10:20 PM
Ancient what who? Look, I'm a simple man from a simple town. I know planting seasons and beating people. You're gonna have to slow down a little.

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-10, 10:20 PM

Reading your missive, the lead traveler nods.

"We were planning on stopping at a city to trade supplies for the treasures we found in the reaches, such as this tablet. Thutot is as good as any and better than most. You can travel with us until you reach it."

scsimodem
2010-08-10, 10:29 PM
Taking the tablet:

I understood what that meant, and I think we could use some supplies and the opportunity at some treasure.

--on the tablet--

We would be most honored to accompany you to this city, kind sir, and though I can't speak for my friend, I would be more than happy to both assist you with my labor and help you deal with any dangers on the road.

I'm doing this as a social attack to improve their attitude towards us.

5 charisma, 3 presence, 3 appearance
[roll0]

Ehren the Lunar
2010-08-10, 10:32 PM
Ehren Slows his pace, and, glancing over his shoulder, beckons Corban to join him in the middle of the room. Once the two are stading together, a simple focus of his interior power and he begins to glow with Mother Luna's holy light. In the near absolute darkness, the soft light is blindingly obvious. Ehren raises his voice when he speaks, looking into Corbans eyes at first, expecting him to translate.

"I have in mind feeling the moonlight on my face again. I have in mind swimming in the streams under the open sky and feeling the crisp night air in my wings while hunt forest creatures. And I refuse to allow this assembly to keep me from it. I will eat their very hearts if I must. I will wear their faces as I defy their boundries. Come with me, and I will show you world without walls."

Ehren the Lunar
2010-08-10, 10:34 PM
As Ehren speaks, his anima banner begins displaying the strengths of animals in the wilds. Here a hart leaping through brush, there two rams vie for pack lead, above an eagle soars through ephemeral clouds, below a shark glides through silent depths. The menagerie of animals shapes continue to play out while he speaks. The effort of creating the specific phantom animals was slightly strenuous, so he finally wraps the parade of images up with a snake devouring a mongoose.

Ehren the Lunar
2010-08-10, 10:37 PM
[roll0]

using a point of dwill power

chailem
2010-08-11, 01:19 PM
--Ongvove--
To the locals:
"We gratefully accept your offer to travel to this city, Thutot," Ongvove replied, "Please tell us if there is anything we can do to assist you as we travel. Are you finished with your business here?"

Hayaiken
2010-08-11, 05:14 PM
I turn around and look at the bottomless pit and I say, " Why not.", then jump in.

rolling dex plus athletics

8d10

Hayaiken
2010-08-11, 05:18 PM
for some reason the roll results didn't post so here they are

[roll0]

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-12, 03:27 PM
--Ehren--

Bored and downtrodden, the inhabitants of the room gather around to listen to your tales of living under the sky of Creation. Most seem dismissive of your promises to take them to that world and treat your words as merely entertaining stories, but a small core of mostly disaffected youth gather around you, including the thief you apprehended earlier. After your speech, he and Corben speak for a while, then Corben turns to you.

"It seems Garis and his friends are interested in what you have to say. To be honest, they're mostly troublemakers and petty thieves, but they do know many secret ways around the city. Anyway, he wants to know how you intend to bring them to the sky lands."

Technically, addressing a group uses Performance. I should have caught that Tuesday night. Still, that's a 3 die stunt worthy address, so between that and the willpower you've influenced a few mortals.

--Zilla and Peleps Laelia--

The Authocthonians stiffen at Zilla's refusal to swear, but Peleps's mother speaks swiftly in their language. She turns back to you.

"It will be more difficult because you refuse to take the oaths, but they are willing to accept my troth for you. You will of course be under guard at all times until you leave, but you will be allowed to leave. You have my word on that."

She moves to leave.

"My daughter is weary and needs to recover. I would appreciate it if you would accompany us to her room. I think it would do her some good to have a familiar face nearby."

------------

Accompanied by soldiers and two of the Autochthonian Exalts, Captain Peleps's mother takes you to a well-appointed room deeper in the building. She lays Laelia on a comfortable bed, then turns to Zilla.

"There are a few things I need to discuss with Bright Beacon. I will return in a few minutes, but you may take the time to make yourselves comfortable. Do not try to leave, since doing so will end what protection I can give you."

That'll give you two a bit of time to talk over your situation.

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-13, 08:55 PM
Testing. 123

Ehren the Lunar
2010-08-15, 08:19 AM
Ehren nods at the younger men. He motions them all to gather closely.

"Corban, if you will translate please. Gentlemen, I need information foremost. I need to know all of your capabilities, or you may get unnecessarily harmed. Also, I need information about this place. Last, I am looking for some associates. This is what I have in mind......"

Corbin then gleans which ones can fight, which can sneak, if any of them can read. He then works them into an information network, sending them out as scouts. Finally, he gives detailed descriptions of all of the people he is looking for, and a few he knows are not in this infernal hole. Then, he goes on the hunt, he thinks there may be away to capture some of the prey's memories, but he needs to take a new form to do it. He thinks an officer would be a better candidate than the riff-raff he has fallen among.

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-15, 05:14 PM

The small group, now with two more members, continues its journey into the strange landscape of the machine world of Autochthon, the nature of which the travelers explain to the two Exalts as they walk.

One of the younger travelers, a young girl of perhaps nine years of age, shows a great deal of interest in The Man With No Name. When he catches sight of her she's stealing glances of his forehead, but blushes when she notices that he's noticed her and retreats behind an older woman who must be her mother. Noticing the interaction, Harol, the lead traveler, writes on the tablet.

"She's curious about your soul gem. Did something happen to it, or did you never have one implanted?"

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-15, 05:19 PM
--Hayaiken--

You're weightless for a few brief moments, hanging in a black void where the only sign that you haven't fallen into Oblivion is the wind rushing past your face. You're falling for just long enough to wonder if perhaps you made a mistake when you hit the floor of the tunnel and begin to slide. The slope of the tunnel keeps you from building up dangerous momentum, but you're propelled through several twists and turns before sliding to a stop. Before you can do anything, though, the floor drops out from underneath you. Your flailing hands catch hold of a rod, jerking you to a halt but leaving you suspended over an endless emptiness. There's a hiss and a slight change in air pressure as the hole that opened beneath you in the tunnel closes, leaving you trapped in this open space.

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-17, 07:21 PM
--Ehren--

Several days pass as Ehren scouts his new environment. The room he first found himself in is one of many dormitories in the city of Gulatch housing the lowest caste of Autochthonian society, the Lumpen. He's able to hunt and slay a member of the Populat, the broad working class/lower management of the society. He tends the man's job each day, going to one of the citie's factories and overseeing a small squad of eight workers. The target wasn't particularly close to his workers or competent at his job, giving Ehren considerable leeway in his daily impersonation. The factory seems focused on the production of weaponry, producing prodigious amounts of personal scale arms and armaments.

One evening, Corbin meets him outside of work. He draws Ehren away from his small group of workers as they leave at the end of their shift. The workers seem vaguely disconcerted by the presence of the Lumpen, and Corbin seems to take special pleasure in their disgust as he makes a point of walking right in the middle of their path back towards their dormitory.

Ehren the Lunar
2010-08-17, 08:35 PM
Ehren begins following Corbin, displaying the same look of disgust on his assumed face.

"alright you sludge rust! If you didn't do the job right this time, I am going to rip off that rust pocked arm of yours and beat you to death with it. Well, stop doddling around oaf, show me!"

After Ehren can confirm they are not being observed, he listens to Corbin's report. He also starts making plans to liberate arms and armor from the factory, and suggests the scouts start locating food stores.

Ehren knows this guise will not be useful for long once this starts, so he is going to start hunting the factory owner. His hope is that it will provide a new form and monetary assets to fund this little uprising.

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-19, 03:52 PM
--Ehren--

Corbin adjusts his pancho to better cover his replaced arm as the two walk away. He leads Ehren into a seldom used workshop, turning to check that no-one is paying undo attention when they arrive.

"Still no word on your friends. Garis has been checking the slave pens to see if they've been brought in from the raids, but it's slow going. They're bringing in a fairly decent volume, which tells me that they've really ramped up their operations. If your friends are as competent as you are, though, they're not likely to be held among the general population. We need eyes where the Lumpen aren't normally allowed."

"Back before my injury, I used to be part of the militia. If your friends are being held, they'd have to be involved. And if they're involved, there's got to be a record. I've still got a few friends in the clerk's office, so I had them take a look. Now, most of the documents involving the sky lands are classified, so they couldn't get anything specific, but they were able to find out where those records are being held. It's in Central Command, which is a fortress, but my buddies did me one other favor."

He pulls out a folded piece of paper from one pocket.

"This is the layout of the place, with guard schedules and checkpoints, plus a list of half a dozen officers with authorization to access the records. We ought to be able to cook up some sort of plan with all this."

--Peleps Laelia--

A few days after her arrival, Laelia's mother comes into her room in the morning. She checks over Laelia's injuries, then turns to address her daughter.

"We have been invited to a funeral. It seems that you've mostly recovered from your exertions, so it seems only courteous to our hosts that we attend."

Achan_hiArusa
2010-08-19, 05:15 PM
Is it yours? I would then be more than happy to comply. But for now I will show all due respect to whoever is else is dead, even if they are anathema. /spits on the ground.

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-20, 02:14 PM
Jasmine Morning Glory's face hardens at Laelia's vitriolic reply, but she says nothing of the matter.

"The funeral starts in an hour. I have brought servants here with proper attire. The guards have instructions to bring you when you are ready."

With that she turns her back on her daughter and walks stiffly out of the room. A few moments later, a young servant girl walks gingerly into the room carrying a long black dress. She is accompanied by a pair of female guards outfitted in heavy magitech armor.

Achan_hiArusa
2010-08-20, 05:30 PM
I give a sharp grin at my mother's back. When the servant girl comes I snatch the clothes away from her and throw them down. "You send me these rags! I will go as a proper soldier of the realms, bring me my armor!" I turn my back on them and wave them away. "And make sure it is properly polished and repaired."

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-21, 11:09 AM
--Captain Peleps--

An hour later, Peleps Laelia arrives at the site of the funeral. The service is held in a simple but beautiful garden, unremarkable until you consider the unrelenting urban nature of this environment. A group of mortals in somber dress clusters around a young couple; the young woman crying inconsolably, the young man holding her close. Your mother stands among the crowd, silent but compassionate. Her face is troubled by the scene, and though she likely has no connection to the couple she stands close by them to offer her support.

The Orichalcum Man, dressed in a black toga elegantly draped over his massive form, steps next to you. He looks over your martial dress, but says nothing of the matter.

"It was their child. Stillborn, tragically. Such scenes are increasingly common, and even the Tripartate Assembly is not immune."

Achan_hiArusa
2010-08-21, 11:00 PM
The child has been spared an existence of pain and sorrow. It is at peace. This Tripartate Assembly, I am curious. Who are they? And what forces do they command? What are their intentions in creation? And where are we?

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-22, 10:05 PM
The Orichalcum Man smiles slightly.

"It seems we both have many questions to ask the other. Perhaps we could retire somewhere a bit more private, and leave the mourners in peace."

He gestures to a small path through the garden, leading into an area behind some low vine-covered walls.

"In answer to your final question first, you are in Gulatch, a city in the nation of Yugash, which is one of many nations residing within the body of Autochthon."

Noting the confusion on your face at this explanation, he adds "Autochthon is the Great Maker, a Primordial. He and his brethren formed your Creation from the raw stuff of the Wyld untold ages ago, though he joined the god's rebellion due to the abuse his brethren heaped upon him."

He pauses. "Please stop me if this is known to you. It has become apparent that the people of your world have lost much of their history, but then most of my exposure has been to your Lumpen caste. I would not wish to assume any ignorance on your part."

chailem
2010-08-24, 11:49 AM
--Ongvove--
Answering for 'Mike',
We never had soul gems implanted. This custom is unknown to us. What are Soul Gems, exactly? Do they protect you?

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-24, 02:42 PM
--Ongvove and the Man With No Name--

"They're implanted in us at birth," Harol writes. "They save our souls upon our death and allow them to be implanted in the next generation. How do your kind pass on souls if you don't have a soul stone?"

Achan_hiArusa
2010-08-24, 06:28 PM
Lumpen? Anyway, yes I would like to speak with you. I have mourned the death of too many of my men in battle to be comfortable doing it for a child I barely know. Though normally for them a drink was in order.

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-24, 07:54 PM
The Orichalcum Man smiles.

"A drink could be arranged. In fact, I have a little something stashed away in my office. I think this would be an appropriate time to break it out."

Achan_hiArusa
2010-08-24, 08:01 PM
Well let us go and talk, but first.... I go over and make appropriate propitiations (clapping hands, making prayer, burning incense, whatever) and then turn back around and nod to the man.

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-24, 08:10 PM
The ritual, overseen by a green-robed priest, involves the planting of a new flowering plant in the small garden. The priest provides a casket of dirt, whose contents he spreads in the garden before he places the new plant in its place, intoning prayers in Autochthonian as he works. Your mother nods in approval when she sees you taking part, but is distracted by the grief of the young parents, so she does not see when you leave with the Alchemical Exalt.

"It was good of you to take part," he says as you depart. "That kindness will speak well of you in the days to come."

chailem
2010-08-24, 08:15 PM
--Ongvove--
Ongvove thinks for a moment. He then writes, "For the great among us, those endowed with special abilities, duties, and destinies, our souls return on their own with time. For the rest, their souls journey to the afterlife for eternity, where they live out their days in either paradise or torment depending upon the choices they made while alive. Souls are actually born new amongst these people, so that the populace grows, much as do the animals, though we do not think animals have souls."

Achan_hiArusa
2010-08-24, 08:19 PM
I am a Dragon-blooded of the Realm. Ritual is an expectation and requirement. Now, your office?

scsimodem
2010-08-24, 10:15 PM
The souls of our dead either re-enter the Great Cycle on their own, or they linger, either in our world or the underworld, as ghosts. My job is to make sure they don't become ghosts.

He then looks at the girl.

Kids are often scared, but don't worry. None of you have anything to fear from me.

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-28, 06:35 PM

Just then, the tunnel shakes. The travelers look up, a little nervous, but then it rises in intensity. Soon the entire tunnel is visibly moving, and a horrible grating sound reverberates from all directions. The entire tunnel network seems to be collapsing!

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-28, 07:06 PM
--Peleps Laelia--

The Orichalcum Man leads Laelia out of the garden and down the hall. A few turns and flights of stairs later, he opens the door to a small office oddly spartan for such an important personage. It looks more like a mid-level bureaucrat's office than the office of the general of an invading army.

"Please, sit," the Orichalcum Man invites, gesturing to a rather worn set of chairs across from his desk. He sits in the chair on the other side and opens a drawer in the desk, pulling out a bottle of clear liquid and a pair of shot glasses.

"I think you are likely going to detest this," he says, pouring alcohol into the two glasses. "It's extracted from the industrial solvents we use to keep our factories clean. It tastes like piss and burns like acid, but it does have one redeeming quality. It gets you drunk very quickly!" He slides you a glass across the table, then takes his own.

"So, how is it you do this where you're from? Raise the glasses like this?"

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-28, 07:12 PM
--Zilla--

Zilla's room is a large area, comfortably appointed but very, very solidly built. The walls even seem to have been reinforced with jade to keep a person from breaking through them. Her hosts insist she is not a prisoner, though, and she is allowed to leave at any time she wants. It's just that she's always accompanied by a quintet of guards, one of whom is always one of the magical material people that seem to be the champions of these strange folk, and there are a great many places that are "restricted access."

One day, Laelia's mother enters the room. She's dressed in a black dress, made of a very fine but manufactured looking material. It looks as if she's been crying, though she seems composed now.

"Good evening, Zilla. I came to see how you've been. My daughter is meeting with Bright Beacon, and I must confess I'm not quite sure what to do with myself. Would you like to go for a walk?"

Achan_hiArusa
2010-08-29, 10:52 PM
"Yes. And we make a toast? Oh, let us say to relations between your people and the Realm." And then I will see how much military information I can get out of him before I pass out from inebriation.

Do I need to roll anything?

Horatio@Bridge
2010-08-30, 02:12 PM
I'd intended to write this out. Good for exposition, plus it kills time until other people post. **ahem**

"The Realm, yes...your mother has told me something about the Realm. She said that the Dragonblooded rule, and that they overthrew their Solar masters. A somewhat surprising result, given what I've seen in the histories, but it matches what others we have interviewed said. Some of them seemed quite appalled at the thought of Solar rule. Your mother was a bit circumspect about why this should be the case, but perhaps you could explain to me what happened to cause this extreme reaction to Solars?"

Ehren the Lunar
2010-08-31, 10:34 PM
After conferring with Corban for a while, Ehren begins to develop a plane to infiltrate the records archives. He determines that the best course of action would be to arrange a small strike force whose members are dressed in armor carefully stolen from the factory and concealed as custodians and repairmen. He will sneak in on his own, carrying with him a whistle that will be loud enough to send an attack signal. his point of entry will be through the drainage into the secured facility, then to stay high. Almost nobody pays much attention to that which is above their heads. As a back up, Ehren decides to hunt and take the inspecting officer. He would have access to some areas that others would not, and no soldier in his right mind questions the inspection officer while he is on the prowl.

Ehren the Lunar
2010-08-31, 10:45 PM
well, I made the rolls exactly like they appeared in the occ thread. it didn't work.

Ehren the Lunar
2010-08-31, 10:57 PM
alright, I am going to throw down a bunch of rolls here, I assume I will need at least three, a stealth, a sacred hunt, an investigation. I think think you can figure out what you need Joe.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
And, some attack rolls just in case. Dex 5, MA 5, weapon acc 5, weapon spec 1. plus three extra dice for, well what ever.
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]

Achan_hiArusa
2010-09-02, 09:38 PM
"Yes the anathema once ruled and their reign was one of pure evil. The chosen of the five elemental dragons rose up against them and defeated them and threw them down. Those who fought, died. Those with corrupt faith found their prayers unanswered. Those who tried to talk their way out were silenced. Those who dabbled in witchcraft failed. And those who ran and hid were found and destroyed. Their rule is ended and will never happen again. Though their evil magic was powerful they were outnumbered. "