PDA

View Full Version : [D&D3.5] Time

Volomon
2010-08-07, 05:09 PM
Ok how exactly does time work as far as I can tell in the entirety of each book the amount of time to rounds ratio is mentioned once, this is under the section of how fast you can put on your armor where it is mentioned that it takes 5 rounds or one minute to put on a suit of X armor.

Beyond this I've found little else that explicitly talks about time.

My friend and their group have always used this weird real world time = X amount of in game time. I've always found this utterly ludicrous because what if your making a suit of armor or magic armor? Of course this is where they bend their own rules and say ya X time has past. However I just can't see it working in both combat which is round to round. Then they would say it happened in X amount of minutes. It never really made sense to me because swinging a sword is what 3 second event? A real life person can travel almost 21feet in 1.5 seconds even after being shot multiple times in the chest and have enough momentum to still stab you (ya weird statistic but true), ya you ever wonder why a police officer always has his hand on his gun? So having knowledge like this and seeing the way they treat time never really made sense to me.

I also found a reference in spell casting time referring to one minute as 10 rounds.

I've always went with the armor ruling 1 min = 5 rounds and narrative time is subjective.

So is there a location in any of the books that defines time?

Kylarra
2010-08-07, 05:16 PM
You seem to be misreading. One minute is always 10 rounds, therefore 1 round = 6 seconds, and actions take some fraction thereof.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#don or page 123 of your PHB

Don

This column tells how long it takes a character to put the armor on. (One minute is 10 rounds.) Readying (strapping on) a shield is only a move action.

Volomon
2010-08-07, 05:19 PM
You seem to be misreading. One minute is always 10 rounds, therefore 1 round = 6 seconds, and actions take some fraction thereof.

Ahh I see it, ya I thought it was weird that under spells it said 10 rounds. This seems like an awful weird way to talk about time though seems like it's almost a by product of a lot of other things and never really is referred to directly in it's own segment or even part of combat.

Is there no direct chapter for instance labeled time which discusses how to approach time?

Bladesinger
2010-08-07, 05:19 PM

Beat me to it.
But yeah, narrative time can always be subjective. I don't think I've ever run into a problem on that front. If my players ask me what time of day it is in game, I just make something up, based on what they've done so far, when I figured they woke up, etc.

Marnath
2010-08-07, 05:21 PM
I'm not really understanding what your confusion is exactly, but kylarra is right. ten rounds is one minute.

*edit Each round is 6 seconds. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#theCombatRound)

Volomon
2010-08-07, 05:26 PM
I'm not really understanding what your confusion is exactly, but kylarra is right. ten rounds is one minute.

*edit Each round is 6 seconds. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#theCombatRound)

Is there no direct chapter for instance labeled time which discusses how to approach time?

Basically I find it a bit odd to say to someone who is wanting to know how time works by saying look at Don in the armor section.

Kylarra
2010-08-07, 05:34 PM

Basically I find it a bit odd to say to someone who is wanting to know how time works by saying look at Don in the armor section.Page 5 of your PHB?

Combat is played in round. Each round represents 6 seconds in the
game world, regardless of how long it takes to play out the round.

Marnath
2010-08-07, 05:40 PM

Basically I find it a bit odd to say to someone who is wanting to know how time works by saying look at Don in the armor section.

I'm sorry, what? The page i linked is very specific about what happens in a round, and a round is the basic building block of what happens when in the game.

Volomon
2010-08-07, 05:43 PM
I'm sorry, what? The page i linked is very specific about what happens in a round, and a round is the basic building block of what happens when in the game.

Its kind of hard for me to refer other players to an internet page using their book.

kamikasei
2010-08-07, 05:44 PM
Its kind of hard for me to refer other players to an internet page using their book.
The SRD derives from the books. Look up the corresponding section in the Combat chapter.

Admiral Squish
2010-08-07, 05:46 PM
Page 5 of your PHB?

How about that? That's a pretty physical spot to forward them.

Marnath
2010-08-07, 05:48 PM
The SRD derives from the books. Look up the corresponding section in the Combat chapter.

In fact, it's pretty much just copy-pasted from the books. Or you know, you could just bring up the page and let them read it on your computer.

Defiant
2010-08-07, 05:50 PM
If my players ask me what time of day it is in game, I just make something up, based on what they've done so far, when I figured they woke up, etc.

Haha, I do that too.

Volomon
2010-08-07, 05:51 PM
How about that? That's a pretty physical spot to forward them.

Ya I saw that post, but thx for pointing it out again.

Also thx for the SRD but all I needed was a number and someone has already done that for me, I know it was of great effort and I appreciate the press of the number 5.